Start by marking “Corre el riesgo: Aprenda a identificar, elegir y vivir con un riesgo moderado” as Want to Read:
Corre el riesgo: Aprenda a identificar, elegir y vivir con un riesgo moderado

Corre el riesgo: Aprenda a identificar, elegir y vivir con un riesgo moderado

"Si no se arriesga, paga el precio. Conozca el riesgo y coseche las recompensas. En nuestra cultura de evasión de riesgos, valoramos en alto grado la seguridad. Compramos seguros para las vacaciones. Probamos los autos en choques simulados. Extendemos las garantías de los artefactos electrodomésticos. Sin embargo, al aislarnos de lo desconocido, de los riesgos de la vida, ...more
Published February 11th 2009 by Vida (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Corre el riesgo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Corre el riesgo

Adrienna
Ben Carson discussions are about his neuroscientific experiences, and how he lost some of his clients in OR, but still relies on God to help him save lives. How we have to take risks?
1. Everything is Risky
2. More we know, more we worry
3. A lot of risks aren't worth the worry
4. we can't eliminate all risk
5. minimizing risk is oten the best we can do
6. acceptable risks
7. not all risks are bad
8. all going to die

Furthermore, he speaks about his life in Detroit like he did in his other book "The Big
Victor Nyachieo
Another Great book I read this year was “Taking the Risk” by Ben Carson.
When we look at today’s culture we see a world of people who like to play it safe, who like to do just enough to get by. In the book by Ben Carson he teaches you how to take risks, not the life threatening risks like jumping of a building and seeing if you can land the jump, but the risks that take you to a high level of success.
Prior to the writing of this book, Carson was approached with a lot of questions about whethe
Jeanette
Dec 26, 2013 Jeanette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: living, non-fiction
World Renown paedatric neurosurgeon Ben Carson gives his approach to assessing risk using gripping examples from his own "at-risk" childhood, his personal life and professional career - especially with ground breaking operations such as separating cranial co-joined twins. There is no doubt that Ben Carson knows something about risk taking!

Many of his examples of risk assessment and risk taking overlap content in his previous books, however I appreciated these practical and gripping examples of
Joel
Oct 22, 2011 Joel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well written perspective of the risks most of us face in our everyday lives. Dr. Carson offers a professional spin on risk taking. He is among the neurosurgeons on a team who in 2003 attempted to separate a pair of Iranian twins conjoined at the head. The twins were 29 years old and old enough to accept their choice to be separated as a calculated risk. Ultimately, the risk they took ended in hemorrhaging, organ failures, and death. However, it could've been easily seen as a risk worth taki ...more
Patrick
Feb 20, 2010 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned of Ben Carson after my daughter was encouraged by her teacher to watch the made for TV movie about Dr Carson, with Cuba Gooding Jr in the starring role. Shortly thereafter I saw this book at Costco, and bought it.

The book is part motivation and part autobiography.

If there was ever an 'at risk' youth, it would be Carson. Growing up with his brother in a single parent home, with an illiterate mother, in a very poor and violent neighborhood in inner city Detroit, Carson was a poor studen
Anitra
Oct 12, 2012 Anitra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really has me rethinking my current path. By doing his simple BWA, you can bargain on whatever risk you encounter easily. I really enjoyed the experiences embedded in this book and I had a hard time putting it down. I was most moved by his inclusion of faith in taking risks. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is at a crossroads in life and contemplating risks. It will make you view them through an new light and not become paralyzed by fear of risks.
Jonathan Linquist
Aug 19, 2013 Jonathan Linquist rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though occasionally repetitive on the B/WA, I found this book to be extremely encouraging in not just my physical life, but also my spiritual life. He drives home the point that nothing good in life comes without risk and Ben Carson offers a logical and simple solution of the B/WA. This book shows that in a society where not taking risks is becoming the norm, many won't reach their full potential in any discipline because of their fear of the possibilities of failure.

Kirsten
Jul 09, 2008 Kirsten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"odds that you will die at some point in your life: 1 in 1. thus, you might say the greatest, most significant, and universal risk factor in death is being born. this implies that it really isn't very helpful to approach the subject of risk by focusing on how we might die; rather, it's far wiser to consider how we should live and what risks we will live with."

"far better is it to dare mighty things than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much." - t. roosevelt

"it al
Rachel
Jun 25, 2013 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I liked: I liked the section where he discussed evolution vs creationism, he put across very eloquently the assertion that believing in evolution requires faith as much as believing in creationism does. His work as a medical scientist is also pretty cool.

What I didn't like: his life seemed a little bit more like a load of lucky breaks than just sound risk analysis - he was given more opportunities than most and seized them, and his experiences are not representative of most people's (and s
Fred & Marlene
Jul 07, 2008 Fred & Marlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is absolutely one the best books on risk you will ever read. Dr. Carson is a world famous brain surgeon that had very humble beginnings in the slums of Detroit. Raised by an illiterate mother, when his grades started to fall, she made Ben and his brother read two books a week and give her the report. This sparked his thirst for knowledge and made him cool in the classroom.

He shares his best/worst analysis to analyzing risk. What is the Best/Worst thing that can happen if I do this? What is
Christopher M.
This was a very interesting book on risk-assessment, presented as an autobiography. The first few chapters I found to be particularly engaging and compelling, as we see an at-risk child become an accomplished neurosurgeon. The rest of the book travels through Carson's life and professional career, helping to justify his assertion about the best way to determine what are acceptable types and levels of risk. The topics covered seemed at times to have a bit of an agenda, and were often hodge-podgey ...more
Vallentino J. Rehatta
The 4th book of Dr. Benjamin Carson, a famous neurosurgeon and director of pediatric neurosurgery department at John Hopkins Hospital Baltimore telling me about how to take a risk when no one be able to do that.

He tell stories about several operation procedure that he and his team perform in the effort of saving children who severe condition in their brain. And he admit God involve in each of his work, after he give it up to the higher Creator.

Its a must to read this, especially for those who in
Christoffer
I'm going through my old books and notice that my book mark in this one is on the last chapter so I assume I didn't finish this book. I didn't think it was great at the time I read it. I probably won't give it another chance. I think it could've been a decent enough essay or long article, but as a book I remember thinking it was pretty redundant. Sure, go ahead and read it if you can borrow it or buy it cheap. Otherwise, find someone's quality review of it and you'll probably get the idea.
Rachael
Dec 12, 2012 Rachael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting look at the implications of being a culture that has attempted eradicate any type of risk. Where's the adventure in that?
Marie
Jul 28, 2011 Marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a literary masterpiece, but offers sound advice and a formula for making decisions.
Gary Fisher
I read this book because an evangelical friend asked me to. I think he was hoping it would convince me, after 50 years of agnosticism, that Christianity is the one true religion.

Dr. Carson has written several books. After reading this one I have no desire to waste my time on any others.

The basic premise of this book is that by using a fairly simplistic decision tree you can determine if a specific risk is worth taking. It's not the most sophisticated method, basically you consider what's the wo
Ben Zornes
In a culture that wants to bubble-wrap our kids, eat gluten & MSG free, as well as hand-sanitize everything, and yet doesn’t see the problem of the bigger risks facing us (i.e. $17 trillion debt, failing education, and horrendous health care system), the calm and collected voice of Dr. Ben Carson is rather refreshing. He also has a great first name! Dr. Carson gained notoriety for being the first neurosurgeon to successfully separate twins conjoined at the head. I, however, first heard of hi ...more
Susan
Nov 21, 2014 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ben Carson with Gregg Lewis / Take the Risk
Learning to Identify, Choose, and Live with Acceptable Risk

Dr. Ben Carson, professor of neurosurgery, plastic surgery, oncology, and pediatrics at Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, has co-authored three previous books about his own experiences, with emphasis on what others can learn from them. He has a new book now (summer 2014) about the future of America.

This book is - obviously - about risk, relying heavily on Carson’s personal, academic, and prof
Elbert2008
Nov 07, 2008 Elbert2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elbert2008 by: my mother
     This is the best book for you to read if you have a hard time taking risks. This book is sort of a Bibliography and it also teaches the reader about life. This book is great for young people because they have not yet exspereanced the hardships of life. Take The Risk by Ben Carlson is the best bibliography I have ever read, even though this is he only bibliography I have read.

This book was written to show people how to take and handle risks. Mr. Carlson, the author of the book has had a
Jul 31, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy the stories of this famous pediatric neurosurgeon. I've been inspired and given lots to think about from reading his work. He appears to be a very dedicated Seventh Day Adventist and have a brilliant mind. He actually uses his mind to try and figure out answers to some of the world problems like improving education, helping everyone be able to afford medical care, taxes, parenting, etc.

In this book he shares some of the same stories from his earlier book "Gifted Hands" but he shar
Shannon
My assumption of what this book would be was inaccurate. I expected a guide on risk analysis; instead this book was a step by step analysis of the risks Carson has taken in his life.

Analyzing risk isn’t addressed in depth until Chapter 9 where Carson identifies four questions that should be asked to analyze risk in any situation. He promises that by using this method, it’s impossible to make the incorrect decision.

I did appreciate some of the advice including one point to remember. When determ
Julie
Feb 10, 2017 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Ben Carson is a good man... an amazing man.
Clifton
Mar 17, 2008 Clifton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: to anyone from high school to the retirement home
This is a powerful book that really discusses risk thoroughly, both on personal and social levels. Dr. Carson's basic theme is the B/WA, or Best/Worst Analysis, which is a tool he uses to determine whether or not a risk is worth taking. The B/WA tool asks four questions:

-What is the BEST thing that can happen if I DO this?
-What is the WORST thing that can happen if I DO this?
-What is the BEST thing that can happen if I DON'T do this?
-What is the WORST thing that can happen if I DON'T do this?

It
Jodi
Sep 07, 2015 Jodi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Geleta Gonei
Jan 08, 2015 Geleta Gonei rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a story-rich explanation of consider risk, and how to make risky decision. I enjoyed the first 50 pages afterword you don't need to read it if you have read his previous book (Gifted handed), he just copy and paste half of the story from that book. I am kind of disappointed. There's no insight or tools to help you look inside yourself to determine the level of risky acceptance to you. Other than that I love the entire book boils down to a simple formula. Ask yourself 4 question?
- w
Tom Mcshane
Unfortunately I read this after reading Gifted Hands and Carson's America the Beautiful and it was by far the weakest of his books I've read (the other two are excellent books). There's a tremendous amount of overlap with his other books, mostly Gifted Hands so I didn't feel like I was reading new ideas or new material. I felt like most of this book was a rehash with a risk spin applied to it. He's a good writer and a clear communicator but there were not many new ideas here that haven't been pr ...more
Emily
May 11, 2008 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wish this book was about 1/4 as long. The valuable information I got from this:
As a hesitant risk-taker who usually thinks of most risk taking like blindly jumping off a cliff, I liked his analysis of risk taking: to consider the best/worst case scenarios of taking/not taking a risk and then determine from there if it makes sense to do. This is so simple, yet was really valuable for me to see. His other useful advice? Train yourself to take your ego out of the equation when doing this analysis
Larry
Feb 10, 2008 Larry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ben Carson is a devout and outspoken evangelical Christian believer, director of pediatric neurosurgery, and full professor of neurosurgery, plastic surgery, oncology, and pediatrics at the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions in Baltimore, Maryland. He sits on the boards of directors of several major corporations and founded, along with his wife Candy, the "Carson Scholars Fund" to encourage bright students, and "Angels of the OR", which helps families that cannot afford medical care. He was rais ...more
Catherine Gillespie
In Take the Risk: Learning to Identify, Choose, and Live with Acceptable Risk, Ben Carson–Yale grad, head of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins, and one of the top neurosurgeons in the world–describes the simple framework he uses to assess risk in his work, and then describes how the same framework can be applied to all sorts of decisions in work, relationships, parenting, and serious national and international issues. The point, Carson opines, is that a simple, balanced, thoughtful assessm ...more
Blake
Jan 23, 2016 Blake rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the standpoint that the book was meant to impact (teaching us how to take acceptalbe risks & make the best use of them), I didn't like it. I wasn't inspired by those stories.

BUT from the standpoint of a Christian, testifying how he has incorporated his FAITH into his WORK, I think it's great. Great examples of how to not back down or shy away when topics of what you believe come up, especially relating to how what you believe might conflict with culture.

Example: Your personal choices,
  • Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story
  • Tending Lives: Nurses on the Medical Front
  • Gray Matter: A Neurosurgeon Discovers the Power of Prayer... One Patient at a Time
  • Lives in the Balance: Nurses' Stories from the ICU
  • We Hold These Truths to Be Self-Evident: 12 Natural Laws of Freedom, Progress, and Success
  • The Quest: One Man's Search for Peace, Insight, and Healing in an Endangered World
  • The World Turned Upside Down: The Global Battle over God, Truth, and Power
  • God's Missionary
  • Crucified Again: Exposing Islam’s New War on Christians
  • Taylor's Gift: A Courageous Story of Giving Life and Renewing Hope
  • The Book on Rental Property Investing: How to Create Wealth and Passive Income Through Smart Buy & Hold Real Estate Investing
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to U.S. Government and Politics
  • Islam: The Religion and the People
  • A Government of Wolves: The Emerging American Police State
  • The Mormon Way of Doing Business: Leadership and Success Through Faith and Family
  • Becoming a Contagious Christian
  • On the New Testament
  • Outstanding!: 47 Ways to Make Your Organization Exceptional
Benjamin Solomon "Ben" Carson, Sr., M.D. is an American neurosurgeon and the Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award in the United States by President George W. Bush in 2008.
More about Ben Carson...

“the doors of the world are open to dose who can read.” 14 likes
“There’s one more serious risk for America that I want to mention here—the risk we have created by shouting down and shutting up any discussion of faith in the public square. It’s as if we’ve decided expressions or discussions of faith shouldn’t qualify as free speech. What’s even stranger is the way it has somehow been tied to the concept of separation of church and state, even though that concept has nothing to do with people living by or publicly discussing their faith.” 2 likes