Start by marking “Soccerhead: An Accidental Journey into the Heart of the American Game” as Want to Read:
Soccerhead: An Accidental Journey into the Heart of the American Game

Soccerhead: An Accidental Journey into the Heart of the American Game

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  47 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
A YOUTH SOCCER COACH'S INVESTIGATION INTO THE ORIGINS OF SOCCERMANIA

Before his son enlisted for a season of Youth Soccer at the neighborhood Boys and Girls Club in College Park, Maryland, Jim Haner was just your typical white, middle-class, suburban father. And as an award-winning journalist for The Sun (Baltimore), he was more likely to write about scoundrels than soccer.
Published April 3rd 2007 by North Point Press (first published April 18th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Soccerhead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soccerhead

Amy
Aug 11, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: futbol
Haner's story is his own of a dad pressed into service as a youth league soccer coach. The team turns out to have serious talent, so he has to step up his own game as a coach in order to keep up with the players, and in learning about the game, he uncovers the United States' rich, forgotten, and unappreciated history of soccer.

He skillfully interweaves his son's story of success on the field with the story of soccer's rise and fall in the US, with a lot of focus on the Washington, DC area where
Scotty
Aug 26, 2013 Scotty rated it really liked it
This is a great book that examines the life of soccer dad in suburban DC Area and the history of soccer in the United States. Since I am young professional who is nowhere near that part in my life I found the stories about youth sports quite boring. However, If you are in that part of your life of soccer practice, soccer games, carpooling, politics of sports, the money invested in the game then I would highly recommend that you read this book. I read this book primarily for the understanding of ...more
Rich
Feb 24, 2014 Rich rated it it was amazing
This fascinating book uncovers the largely forgotten history of soccer in the US, as discovered by an inexperienced youth soccer coach trying to learn the finer points of the game. I had no idea that soccer was a huge American sport in the early 1900s...that soccer came so close to being the American game before baseball claimed the title. Soccerhead is expertly narrated and a joy to read. It flows effortlessly between the rise of the College Park Hornets, and the rise and fall of American socce ...more
Brian Sison
Feb 15, 2008 Brian Sison rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly entertaining and educating look at Soccer in America. This book is full of tidbits if history of the true American Pasttime that have been lost throughout the years. Interspersed with the author's anecdotes of his introduction to the sport and his subsequent love affair with it, this book has plenty to keep any soccerhead turning the pages straight through the end.
Maria Nes-Li
Apr 30, 2012 Maria Nes-Li rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Soccerheads, Football fans
Jim Haner took me through his journey as a reluctant peewee soccer league coach to a full fledged soccerhead in this book. He meticulously wrote his naivety of the game to exploring the history of American soccer. Honest, funny and down-right informative, this is a must-read to all soccer heads.
Jodi
May 31, 2007 Jodi rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: the soccer fan, parent, player
This guy reminded me too much of the typical u12 coaches I've come across. This was my first year coaching girls that age. I could relate with most of his stories.

May 16, 2008 Sarah rated it it was ok
Self-absorbed douchebag begins coaching son's soccer team, continues to be self-absorbed douchebag. Ugh.
Martha
Jul 26, 2011 Martha rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
everyone with kids in soccer should read this!
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Darrell Williams
Darrell Williams marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Pam
Pam rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Drew
Drew marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Mike Leuzinger
Mike Leuzinger rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Stevi
Stevi rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Janet Adams
Janet Adams rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Amy Rundio
Amy Rundio marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Lauren
Lauren added it
Jul 27, 2015
Rob
Rob rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Ben
Ben added it
Mar 24, 2015
Grace
Grace rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2014
Eduardo Velasquez
Eduardo Velasquez rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2014
Hilary Friedman
Hilary Friedman rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2014
Jimmy G
Jimmy G rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2014
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Ger Byrne
Ger Byrne marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014