Start by marking “Soccerhead: An Accidental Journey into the Heart of the American Game” as Want to Read:
Soccerhead: An Accidental Journey into the Heart of the American Game

Soccerhead: An Accidental Journey into the Heart of the American Game

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A YOUTH SOCCER COACH'S INVESTIGATION INTO THE ORIGINS OF SOCCERMANIA
Before his son enlisted for a season of Youth Soccer at the neighborhood Boys and Girls Club in College Park, Maryland, Jim Haner was just your typical white, middle-class, suburban father. And as an award-winning journalist for The Sun (Baltimore), he was more likely to write about scoundrels than soccer.
Published April 3rd 2007 by North Point Press (first published April 18th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Soccerhead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soccerhead

Amy
Aug 11, 2014 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: futbol
Haner's story is his own of a dad pressed into service as a youth league soccer coach. The team turns out to have serious talent, so he has to step up his own game as a coach in order to keep up with the players, and in learning about the game, he uncovers the United States' rich, forgotten, and unappreciated history of soccer.

He skillfully interweaves his son's story of success on the field with the story of soccer's rise and fall in the US, with a lot of focus on the Washington, DC area where
Scotty tooHotty
This is a great book that examines the life of soccer dad in suburban DC Area and the history of soccer in the United States. Since I am young professional who is nowhere near that part in my life I found the stories about youth sports quite boring. However, If you are in that part of your life of soccer practice, soccer games, carpooling, politics of sports, the money invested in the game then I would highly recommend that you read this book. I read this book primarily for the understanding of ...more
Rich
This fascinating book uncovers the largely forgotten history of soccer in the US, as discovered by an inexperienced youth soccer coach trying to learn the finer points of the game. I had no idea that soccer was a huge American sport in the early 1900s...that soccer came so close to being the American game before baseball claimed the title. Soccerhead is expertly narrated and a joy to read. It flows effortlessly between the rise of the College Park Hornets, and the rise and fall of American socce ...more
Brian Sison
A thoroughly entertaining and educating look at Soccer in America. This book is full of tidbits if history of the true American Pasttime that have been lost throughout the years. Interspersed with the author's anecdotes of his introduction to the sport and his subsequent love affair with it, this book has plenty to keep any soccerhead turning the pages straight through the end.
Maria Nes-Li
Apr 30, 2012 Maria Nes-Li rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Soccerheads, Football fans
Jim Haner took me through his journey as a reluctant peewee soccer league coach to a full fledged soccerhead in this book. He meticulously wrote his naivety of the game to exploring the history of American soccer. Honest, funny and down-right informative, this is a must-read to all soccer heads.
Jodi
May 31, 2007 Jodi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the soccer fan, parent, player
This guy reminded me too much of the typical u12 coaches I've come across. This was my first year coaching girls that age. I could relate with most of his stories.

Self-absorbed douchebag begins coaching son's soccer team, continues to be self-absorbed douchebag. Ugh.
Martha
everyone with kids in soccer should read this!
Ben
Ben added it
Mar 24, 2015
Aline
Aline marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Ger Byrne
Ger Byrne marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Scott Williams
Scott Williams marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Alex
Alex added it
Feb 28, 2014
Chris Nini
Chris Nini marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013