Start by marking “The Littlest Angel” as Want to Read:
The Littlest Angel

The Littlest Angel

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  4,513 ratings  ·  134 reviews
Please don't delete. This is an alternate cover for ISBN 0895429233.

This is the tale of a little angel who just cannot stay out of trouble in the celestial city. When the Christ child is born, the mischievous angel learns a timeless lesson in the true spirit of giving.
Hardcover
Published by Ideals Publishing Corporation (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about The Littlest Angel, please sign up.

Deborah Lee Yes. A made for TV play starring Johnny Whitaker (Jodie from Family Affair). It was done in the late 60s I believe. I went to a store last year and it…moreYes. A made for TV play starring Johnny Whitaker (Jodie from Family Affair). It was done in the late 60s I believe. I went to a store last year and it was for sale as a DVD. I will be honest and say I have not watched it yet so I can't commit to the quality of it, but the actual story from the book is so beautiful. I used to read it to my children at Christmas time and I have never made it through without crying!!(less)
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Favorite books from my childhood
447th out of 3,222 books — 6,202 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
186th out of 1,564 books — 1,074 voters

More lists with this book...

Jen
Dec 22, 2012 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
This is my single most favorite story for Christmastime. (I just now realized I have a 1947 copy published by Ideals Publishing Corporation.) The story is very vivid and detailed. The sentiments are so universal to anyone who, at any age, pondered why anyone would look forward to Heaven when it sounded so dull and Earth was so much more interesting. Clearly, the lesson about the gift of the Littlest Angel is also timeless.

I just read it tonight to my son and it occurs to me that this book is a c
Cory Howell
When I was a child, I loved this book. It's always been a favorite of my mother and grandmother. In fact, my grandmother just gave my daughter her copy of the book, which had been given to her by my late aunt. So I wanted to like this book when I read it to my daughter today. However...

The theology of this book could not be more flawed. It perpetuates the old folk theology of angels being human beings who died and went to heaven, and idea completely at odds with the Biblical picture of angels. F
Cindi
The story was all at once too old for young children and too young for adults. There was something about the illustrations I didn't particularly care for, but it's hard for me to put my finger on what. The part about the little boy's wooden box of treasures that he presents for the Christ child was the only part of the book that I really enjoyed.

But, to be fair, I read three stories to one of my daughters tonight (this being one of them). She chose this story as her favorite.
Kathryn
I love this story! I was, however, not a fan of the illustrations. They just didn't seem to fit my imagination's view of the tale although others will probably feel differently. Still, this is a beautiful tale not to be missed! :-)
Patrick
In some circles, this book is regarded as a Christmas Classic. From where I sit, however, George Bailey's nemesis Mr. Potter would have been right to lump this story with the motivations for the Bailey Building and Loan as "sentimental hogwash."

Tazewell has good things to say about gift-giving, and few children are likely to be offended by an angel who seems so much like one of them, but therein lies one big problem with the book: it pushes the unfortunate and unscriptural idea that angels are o
Josiah
The writing of Charles Tazewell is very strong, and flows in a pleasing rhythm throughout the entire book. Additionally, the illustrations of Sergio Leone fit the story perfectly and with rare beauty.
What I take from this classic story most of all is not just that one can present oneself to Jesus without shame, despite one's own imperfections and simplicity and ordinary facade, but that the sacrifices and love and hopes and dreams and feelings of the very small and young matter greatly, and s
Diane
My favorite Christmas story since I was a tiny girl T Christmas.
Rosa Cline
A beautifully done Christmas story, but I wouldn't put it in the children's book section. The words are much to 'big' for children. This story was originally written in 1939 for a radio program. It would be wonderful to sit by a Christmas tree and listen to this book be read. But for a child to try and read it they would get lost in the large vocabulary that is used. I almost had to stop reading it to my special needs teen age son because of the wording that was used. But he stayed with me enoug ...more
Heidi
This is an adorable Christmas story about a little child angel who is always getting into trouble, but who gives what he prizes most in the world to the Christ child. He is then ebarassed to have given something that most people would find useless and offensive. But, his gift is the one that is accepted and is used to create the star to lead others to the babe in Bethlehem. So sweet.
Luann
I remember reading this as a child. Something about a chubby, grubby little angel who has to chase after his halo and who bites his wing-tips when he is nervous made the story very memorable for me. I didn't enjoy it quite as much rereading it as an adult, but it is a very sweet Christmas story.
Autumn Doughton
Jun 25, 2008 Autumn Doughton rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
This is one of my favorite children's books of all time. I cry every time I read it! The illustrations are beautiful and the whole story is lovely and moving. I look forward to the day when my own daughters are old enough to appreciate this book.
Elizabeth
Beautiful and charming. I can see why it's a classic!
Caitlin
This story begins at the gates of heaven. The Littlest Angel was only “four years, six months, five days, seven hours, ad forty-two minutes of age” when he reached heaven and instantly caused disruption by making the gatekeeper blotch the page in the great book. The Littlest Angel continues to disturb heaven with his behavior. Plus, he could not fly, or arrive on time, or sing, and his halo was always crooked. When the day comes for him to be disciplined he meets the Understanding Angel who soa ...more
Brianna
'The Littlest Angel', written by Charles Tazewell and illustrated by Sergio Leone, tells of a "nuisance" of an angel who rather unpopular in the celestial city, a.k.a Heaven. This fictional children's book with its interesting (for lack of better words) illustrations teaches its young readers about the gift of giving. The illustrations do indeed match the text of the book and can capture children's attention. The story is indeed interesting and could promote discussion among students in a classr ...more
Jill Stevenson
My favorite Christmas book. I loved it so as a child, relating, of course to the young child in the story. As an adult, it saddens me to think of the child, in heaven, at Christmas. As a mother, it breaks my heart every time. My copy is signed to me, from my parents, Christmas, 1960. It needs to be rebound and, every year I say I am going to do it but I never remember. Maybe now, I will. Every child should read this and, every adult, too.
Julia Jasztal
Mommy's review from 1/27/13 -

Two stars is generous in my opinion. We almost didn't finish it. I *think* we've read a Tazewell or two in the past that we did like and we have The Littlest Tree to try tonight. I offered Julia the idea to pass on it since we didn't like this very much but she said she'd still like to give it a shot.
This is overdone IMO. I like the story - a lot even - but it's just overdone. That's the word that comes to mind when I think of it.
Julia is just over 7 years old and s
Greg
One of my favorite Christmas season stories for children is The Littlest Angel, which I first read when I was a child. I run across it almost every year, and enjoy reading it again each time. Charles Tazewell was the original author, but Paul Micich's illustrations for this edition are wonderful...the littlest angel was modeled after his own son. It's a heartwarming story that brings to life the real reason for the season.
Gail
When I was little I loved this book. Or I thought I did. I think that I really loved Fred Gywnne who played Patience, the Guardian Angel in the 1969 TV movie and is better known as Herman Munster. I think the copy I had as child had a different illustrator but I could be wrong. The story is simple. I still like the ending where the ordinary yet heart-felt gift is the best of all gifts to give and receive.
Andrew Lovell
This is a great short story for adults and more mature readers. The reading level is 6.1 and it contains a very challenging vocabulary. The illustrations are beautiful and really capture the emotions of the Littlest Angel. The story is wonderful and mythical and it is a Christmas story that centers itself around the true meaning of Christmas. Unique, beautiful, skillfully crafted story and text, vibrant illustrations. 5 stars.
Pamela
Sweet inspirational story and absolutely gorgeous artwork. When my children were young I would buy a story each Christmas season to be read on Christmas eve . . . and The Littlest Angel was one of their all time favorites, and remains so to this day. My youngest daughter, Jackie, has our original shared copy.
Kay Mcgriff
I've loved this story since I was a child. Even though it is a happy story, it never fails to make me cry when the Littlest Angel offers his most valuable possession as a gift to the new baby Jesus.
Noran Miss Pumkin
There was a TV special about this story. It was with first time I saw a child die on TV ad a child myself. I remember this, as if I saw it yesterday. I The boy star from :Family Affair", played the child. It was such an emotional story for me.
Joanne G.
I can't remember anything about this book except that when I'd read it to my children, I'd invariably get choked up--every time. So, I stopped reading it to them!
Kaethe
We had this when I was a kid, but I never loved it. I much preferred the one about the snowman who becomes ice cream or A Christmas Carol.
Alice
A sweet Christmas story about the littlest Angel. My eyes got a little misty as it was read to me. Lovely thoughts and perfect Christmas story!
White
This book is a real eye opener about priorities, meanings, and memories. The endearing little cherub, after dying and going to heaven, comes upon some learning experiences that even adults could benefit from. As a matter of fact, I consider this book an adult book because it is not the children who have to learn what's inside of it. It is the adults who have lost touch of life's moments and gifts.

I believe that the author knows this, which is why the vocabulary he uses is difficult and advanced;
Robyn
My copy published 1962 by Children's Press.

I don't know when my folks bought this book, it was in our box of Christmas books throughout my memory. When my mom was clearing out space in her storage, she gave this one to me. I've not reread it as an adult, but I do remember the story and how sweet it is.
Beth Hollmann
This is another one of my favorite Christmas books. It makes me cry every time. This sweet little boy has passed away on earth and is now an angel, and is having a hard time doing all the things angels are supposed to do - he would much rather run and play. Finally he is allowed to go back and retrieve a box of special mementos from his home on earth. As Christ is about to leave heaven and be born on earth, the angels begin to present him with gifts, and the one that is chosen as His favorite is ...more
Christina
I still remember when my father brought this book home for me. It had been an early Christmas present in 1996. I had my father read it to me many times that year. I remember being so captivated by the story and the illustrations.

I will always love this book, and it will always make me think of my father. I'm hoping someday soon, my father can read it to my children.
Mrs. Eriksson's S...: The Littlest Angel 1 1 Aug 01, 2014 04:16PM
  • The Legend of the Candy Cane
  • I Believe in Santa Claus
  • The Twelve Days of Christmas
  • How Santa Got His Job
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • Christmas Tapestry
  • Humphrey's First Christmas
  • The Berenstain Bears' Christmas Tree
  • Christmas Oranges
  • The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey
  • The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree: An Appalachian Story
  • Mooseltoe
  • Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
The Littlest Snowman The Littlest Angel (Multicultural Book Series 22) The Littlest Uninvited One The Littlest Tree The Littlest Angel ; And, The Bells Of Christmas