Start by marking “Student's Vegetarian Cookbook, Revised: Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegetarian Recipes” as Want to Read:

Some people are vegetarians because they think a meat-free diet is good for you. Some believe it's good for the planet. Others just want tasty food; they want it cheap, they want it easy, and they want it now. Whatever your reasons, check out this book's 135 great-tasting vegetarian recipes, including Gingered Chinese Greens Stir-Fry, Moroccan Stew, Chipotle-Black Bean Chi ...more
Published June 24th 2003 by Clarkson Potter (first published July 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Student's Vegetarian Cookbook, Revised, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Student's Vegetarian Cookbook, Revised

Carrie
Feb 08, 2008 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
Whether or not you are a vegetarian or a student, this is a very good cookbook of (as the title says) quick, easy, cheap, tasty, and nutritious dishes that serve one or two. It would also be useful for the individual who hasn't gone much further than cooking meals that come straight from a box or a can and would like to attempt to prepare meals from scratch, but isn't sure where to begin or how to go about it.
Robin
Jul 13, 2009 Robin rated it it was amazing
This is my bible of vegetarian cooking. Simple, delicious, and filling -- servings for one or two people (as much as I love the Vegetarian Times' recipes, I can't make food to serve 4-8 people when I'm the only one eating -- and dividing 1/4 cup by 4 or 8 results in some strange measurements). Also recommend her Student's Go Vegan Cookbook, even though I'm not vegan.
Bunnyhugger1
I haven't perused this book since I became a vegan 5 years ago but pulled it out of my home library today. The recipes are not very cheese or egg heavy at all, and most non-vegan items can be replaced quite easily (soy instead of milk etc). I think I made my very first curry tofu scramble from this book. It has a good stir-fry section (especially for when you need fresh ideas on this most basic standby of veggie cooking!), a section for bean meals (which is making me hungry imagining them) as we ...more
Robin
Jul 06, 2009 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread, cookbooks
Now that I'm a much more serious and complicated cook, this old book managed to fall to the bottom of my cookbook pile. I hadn't used it in years, even though this is probably my third copy of the book. But now I'm trying to get through a semester of school without taking out any loans, and I've gotta be more frugal. This cookbook is the perfect solution! Everything in it is cheap, quick, edible, and vegetarian. That's about all I care about right now. Amen!
LemontreeLime
Good introductory cookbook, designed for someone who wants to figure out how to eat veg fast. I read these cookbooks because i'm trying to eat healthier, and looking for recipes that are quick easy and are something I will actually eat. There's about 10 recipes I know I'll try for sure in this book, and I suspect I will be making them more than once.
Michaela C
Simple and budget friendly recipes for anyone wanting to eat less or no meat. I used this alot when I was a vegetarian, then when I ate plenty of meat but wanted to add vegetarian meals to my diet. Now I'm using for my family to transition.

Good recipes anyone can enjoy..even the non veg's.
Michele
May 27, 2008 Michele rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Very basic... definitely for the vegetarian who is just learning how to cook on their own as evidenced with recipes for steamed vegetables :) But has some very tasty combinations that I wouldn't have thought of - like black bean sweet potato quesadillas...yum!
Tuscany Bernier
Jan 01, 2016 Tuscany Bernier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for new vegetarians. It has a handful of recipes but they're all designed for a new-veggie kitchen. Easy to prep recipes (like less than 10 minutes usually) and with easy-to-find ingredients, I'd rate it a 4 out of 5. It's pretty good but not the best I've found out there.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I am so disappointed in this book. I bought it because I liked her Student's Go Vegan Cookbook, but I have not yet found one decent recipe in this one! I have an older version, so maybe some of the flaws have been fixed in the revised one?
Susan
Jan 04, 2008 Susan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: newby vegetarians or learning cooks

Purchased for my daughter the vegetarian. I skimmed through it and it looked like a good choice for high school and college vegetarians who need to learn to eat more than bread and jam. My daughter, however, turned out to be her mother's child and does not cook either.
Stefka
Jan 23, 2009 Stefka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favorite cookbook EVER.
It's all that the title promises: quick, easy, cheap, and tasty. Not gourmet, but that's what blogs are for. It also gives small amounts-- one or two servings-- so you don't end up with 6 servings of leftovers.
Victoria
Jan 18, 2011 Victoria rated it it was amazing
Simple and easy and cheap and quick and healthy and meat-free meals that are great for a students or a poor educators budget! By far my favorite ever cookbook!!!
Astrid
Jun 23, 2007 Astrid rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
Some of the recipes in this book are delicious! Some are honestly not so good. But the book does stay true to the principle of eating cheaply and quickly without eating total junk food.
Allison
Feb 25, 2016 Allison rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own, anf, cookery
I feel like this is a cookbook I will continue to go back to again and again. There are SO MANY wonderful and delicious-looking recipes that I want to try!
Carrie
Jul 29, 2015 Carrie rated it really liked it
I LOVE this book. All the recipes are simple, non-labor-intensive, use fresh ingredients, and aimed at cooking for one. Perfect if you live alone.
Micah Cox
Micah Cox rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2013
Cindy Chappell
Cindy Chappell rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Emma
Emma rated it liked it
May 21, 2009
Laurie
Laurie rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2008
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2007
Brad
Brad rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2009
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2008
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2013
Mark Howard
Mark Howard rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2010
Lexi
Lexi rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Rachel Moulton
Rachel Moulton rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2014
Brian & Kendall
Brian & Kendall rated it it was ok
Apr 28, 2015
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2015
Lorilin
Lorilin rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2011
Caitlyn
Caitlyn rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The New Becoming Vegetarian: The Essential Guide to a Healthy Vegetarian Diet
  • 1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes: Delicious, Easy-to-Make, Healthy Meals for Everyone
  • This Crazy Vegan Life: A Prescription for an Endangered Species
  • Vegan World Fusion Cuisine: Over 200 award-winning recipes
  • Vegan Cooking for One: Over 150 simple and appetizing meals
  • Vegan Italiano: Meat-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free Dishes from Sun-Drenched Italy
  • Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road
  • Mediterranean Harvest: Vegetarian Recipes from the World's Healthiest Cuisine
  • Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons
  • The Animal Activist's Handbook: Maximizing Our Positive Impact in Today's World
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine
  • The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes
  • 101 Reasons Why I'm a Vegetarian
  • Triumph of the Lentil: Soy-Free Vegan Wholefoods for All Appetites
  • The New Vegetarian Epicure: Menus--With 325 All-New Recipes--For Family and Friends
  • The New Mayo Clinic Cookbook: Eating Well for Better Health