Start by marking “Student's Vegetarian Cookbook, Revised: Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegetarian Recipes” as Want to Read:

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Some people are vegetarians because they think a meat-free diet is good for you. Some believe it's good for the planet. Others just want tasty food; they want it cheap, they want it easy, and they want it now. Whatever your reasons, check out this book's 135 great-tasting vegetarian recipes, including Gingered Chinese Greens Stir-Fry, Moroccan Stew, Chipotle-Black Bean Chi ...more
Published June 24th 2003 by Clarkson Potter (first published July 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Student's Vegetarian Cookbook, Revised, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Student's Vegetarian Cookbook, Revised

Carrie
Whether or not you are a vegetarian or a student, this is a very good cookbook of (as the title says) quick, easy, cheap, tasty, and nutritious dishes that serve one or two. It would also be useful for the individual who hasn't gone much further than cooking meals that come straight from a box or a can and would like to attempt to prepare meals from scratch, but isn't sure where to begin or how to go about it.
Robin
This is my bible of vegetarian cooking. Simple, delicious, and filling -- servings for one or two people (as much as I love the Vegetarian Times' recipes, I can't make food to serve 4-8 people when I'm the only one eating -- and dividing 1/4 cup by 4 or 8 results in some strange measurements). Also recommend her Student's Go Vegan Cookbook, even though I'm not vegan.
Bunnyhugger1
I haven't perused this book since I became a vegan 5 years ago but pulled it out of my home library today. The recipes are not very cheese or egg heavy at all, and most non-vegan items can be replaced quite easily (soy instead of milk etc). I think I made my very first curry tofu scramble from this book. It has a good stir-fry section (especially for when you need fresh ideas on this most basic standby of veggie cooking!), a section for bean meals (which is making me hungry imagining them) as we ...more
Robin
Now that I'm a much more serious and complicated cook, this old book managed to fall to the bottom of my cookbook pile. I hadn't used it in years, even though this is probably my third copy of the book. But now I'm trying to get through a semester of school without taking out any loans, and I've gotta be more frugal. This cookbook is the perfect solution! Everything in it is cheap, quick, edible, and vegetarian. That's about all I care about right now. Amen!
Gloriavirtutisumbra
Good introductory cookbook, designed for someone who wants to figure out how to eat veg fast. I read these cookbooks because i'm trying to eat healthier, and looking for recipes that are quick easy and are something I will actually eat. There's about 10 recipes I know I'll try for sure in this book, and I suspect I will be making them more than once.
Michaela C
Simple and budget friendly recipes for anyone wanting to eat less or no meat. I used this alot when I was a vegetarian, then when I ate plenty of meat but wanted to add vegetarian meals to my diet. Now I'm using for my family to transition.

Good recipes anyone can enjoy..even the non veg's.
Susan
Jan 04, 2008 Susan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: newby vegetarians or learning cooks

Purchased for my daughter the vegetarian. I skimmed through it and it looked like a good choice for high school and college vegetarians who need to learn to eat more than bread and jam. My daughter, however, turned out to be her mother's child and does not cook either.
Michele
Very basic... definitely for the vegetarian who is just learning how to cook on their own as evidenced with recipes for steamed vegetables :) But has some very tasty combinations that I wouldn't have thought of - like black bean sweet potato quesadillas...yum!
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I am so disappointed in this book. I bought it because I liked her Student's Go Vegan Cookbook, but I have not yet found one decent recipe in this one! I have an older version, so maybe some of the flaws have been fixed in the revised one?
Stefka
Favorite cookbook EVER.
It's all that the title promises: quick, easy, cheap, and tasty. Not gourmet, but that's what blogs are for. It also gives small amounts-- one or two servings-- so you don't end up with 6 servings of leftovers.
Astrid
Some of the recipes in this book are delicious! Some are honestly not so good. But the book does stay true to the principle of eating cheaply and quickly without eating total junk food.
Victoria
Simple and easy and cheap and quick and healthy and meat-free meals that are great for a students or a poor educators budget! By far my favorite ever cookbook!!!
Allison
I feel like this is a cookbook I will continue to go back to again and again. There are SO MANY wonderful and delicious-looking recipes that I want to try!
Carrie
I LOVE this book. All the recipes are simple, non-labor-intensive, use fresh ingredients, and aimed at cooking for one. Perfect if you live alone.
Cecile
Jan 10, 2008 Cecile rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vegetarians with Hangovers
The recipes won't make you feel like you've become a Michelin-rated chef, but they are easy.
Sonja
i don't think this one is as good as the student's vegan cookbook but eh its good stuff.
Jamie
Decent recipes, even for a non-vegetarian just looking for some healthy meals.
Shana
My copy of this book is falling apart I've used it so much.
Janine
Janine marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Gus
Gus added it
Oct 26, 2014
  • 1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes: Easy, Great-Tasting Dishes for Everyone -- from Appetizers and Soups to Entrees and Desserts
  • The New Becoming Vegetarian: The Essential Guide to a Healthy Vegetarian Diet
  • This Crazy Vegan Life: A Prescription for an Endangered Species
  • Vegan World Fusion Cuisine: Over 200 award-winning recipes
  • Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road
  • Vegan Vittles: Recipes Inspired by the Critters of Farm Sanctuary
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine
  • The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet
  • Vegan Yum Yum: Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining and Everyday
  • Vegan Italiano: Meat-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free Dishes from Sun-Drenched Italy
  • The Animal Activist's Handbook: Maximizing Our Positive Impact in Today's World
  • The New Vegetarian Epicure: Menus--With 325 All-New Recipes--For Family and Friends
  • The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Ways to Cook Allergy-Free-Without Dairy, Wheat or Meat
  • The Asian Vegan Kitchen: Authentic and Appetizing Dishes from the Continent of Rich Flavors: 1
  • Food for Life: How the New Four Food Groups Can Save Your Life
  • The Higher Taste: A Guide to Gourmet Vegetarian Cooking and a Karma-Free Diet
  • The Vegetarian Meat & Potatoes Cookbook: 275 Hearty and Healthy Meat-Free Recipes
Student's Go Vegan Cookbook: Over 135 Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegan Recipes Coordinating Physical Education Across the Primary School Safety Across the Curriculum: Key Stages 1 and 2 Safety Across the Curriculum Love in a Lunch Box: 101 Suggestions for Happier, Healthier Lunches