Start by marking “The Lazy Person's Guide to Investing: A Book for Procrastinators, the Financially Challenged, and Everyone Who Worries About Dealing With Their Money” as Want to Read:

Build Seven-Figure Financial Security without Ever Picking, Buying, or Selling A Single Stock! Most people think that you have to buy and sell the right stocks at the right time to make big money on Wall Street. In this enlightening, entertaining guide, veteran financial commentator Dr. Paul Farrell shows you how to grow a seven-figure nest egg without midnight jitters, ti ...more
Published January 8th 2004 by Business Plus (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Lazy Person's Guide to Investing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lazy Person's Guide to Investing

Chad Warner
Mar 22, 2015 Chad Warner rated it liked it
Shelves: finance, non-fiction
After I read The New Coffeehouse Investor, I wanted to learn more about lazy investing and lazy portfolios. I saw this book on the shelf at the library, and picked it up. I'm glad I did! It starts by comparing a few popular "lazy portfolios" (simple, low-maintenance index fund portfolios), including the Coffeehouse Portfolio, then moves on to explaining why you should build your own lazy portfolio.

The author includes quotes and advice from many big names like Scott Burns, Bill Schultheis, Willi
Adam Moore
Jul 05, 2013 Adam Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really really great book. So much of this makes common sense. Basically get an index fund that track a broad index and stick with it for life. Asset allocation is more important then individual stocks. Include indexes of bonds and vary the amount of bonds in your portfolio by how much risk you are willing to accept. This book doesn't break new ground and the fact the author borrows from a lot of great other books may annoy some readers. However, if I planned on recommending one book for someone ...more
Anthony Xing
The entire content could be written in one page. Instead it just get quite repetitive.
Roland
Feb 22, 2008 Roland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew nothing about stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and all that other financial stuff before reading this book. Now I know a little more and have a better idea of how the market works. The most interesting part was that the market is entirely unpredictable, and that a monkey throwing darts can make stock picks that do better than those selected by the "pros." The book is repetative, but the author points out that that was his intention, and it worked. His overuse of certain quotes gets irritating ...more
Toby
Aug 29, 2012 Toby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Humorous and well written, this book manages to make personal finance fun! Always tongue-in-cheek, it provides a really strong case for an all-index-fund portfolio by providing a lot of data, news and anecdotes about how index funds will outperform individual stock trading or load-fund portfolios. A must read for anyone who invests or enjoys managing their personal finances.
Adra
Aug 29, 2010 Adra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I got from this book is that investing the correct way is a long and very boring process. This guide breaks down the investing terminology so well that even the average joe can understand. Mr Farrell does a decent job at simplifying the process of investing.

Adra Young
Author of: The Everyday Living of Children & Teens Monologues Comment | Permalink

Bracken
Jun 04, 2010 Bracken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and informative for me, as a complete novice to investing. This book supported my feelings about investing and was instrumental in preventing me from making a bad investment.

I did feel, though that the author was trying too hard to be funny and that it could have been substantially less repetitious and get the point across.
durban
It's hard to rate when I am such a money novice, but I am trying to learn, from the personal finance side to the micro/macro-alterna side.
Blanche
Apr 30, 2013 Blanche rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book I've read on the subject. I've been investing my money in Vanguard since finishing the book in 2010.
Major Doug
Listened to this book: interesting passive investing strategies.
Kirill
Feb 05, 2015 Kirill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The whole book could be written on a single page.
Becky
Dec 05, 2013 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
perfectly informative and basic for beginners.
S
Dec 22, 2015 S marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-non-fiction, 1-book
332.6 FAR
Vimaris
Vimaris rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2016
Siddhant
Siddhant marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Bryan Peek
Bryan Peek rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2016
Harsha
Harsha marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Nilesh Mahajan
Nilesh Mahajan marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Stephen Francis
Stephen Francis marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Mr R N Whalley
Mr R N Whalley marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Tyler
Tyler added it
Jul 26, 2016
Katumba
Katumba marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Jefrell
Jefrell marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Tara
Tara rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Karrie Lee
Karrie Lee marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Brainy Boro
Brainy Boro rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
  • Finance for Non-Financial Managers
  • Citizen Marketers: When People Are the Message
  • The Only Guide to a Winning Investment Strategy You'll Ever Need: The Way Smart Money Preserves Wealth Today
  • Essentials of Accounting
  • Product Design And Development
  • Judgment: How Winning Leaders Make Great Calls
  • The Smartest Investment Book You'll Ever Read: The Simple, Stress-Free Way to Reach Your Investment Goals
  • Hire with Your Head: Using Performance-Based Hiring to Build Great Teams
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • The McGraw-Hill 36-Hour Course in Finance for Non-Financial Managers
  • It's Not about the Money: Unlock Your Money Type to Achieve Spiritual and Financial Abundance
  • Principles of Statistics
  • Cut to the Chase: and 99 Other Rules to Liberate Yourself and Gain Back the Gift of Time
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing