Start by marking “Elixir” as Want to Read:
Elixir

Elixir

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  332 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Against a backdrop of international intrigue and ruthless drug monopolies, award-winning author Davis Bunn delivers an intoxicating page-turner in this redemptive thriller.

Multi-billion dollar giant Revell Pharmaceuticals is devouring its competition. A new research breakthrough propels the company into releasing its most profitable product ever. Yet a family crisis confro
Published March 29th 2004 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Elixir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elixir

Samie Foster
Jul 10, 2010 Samie Foster rated it did not like it
Elixer by Davis Bunn

Overall rating: Is it over yet?

This book is just one of those books that you grab off of the discount shelf at a store. You read the back and words like “A reluctant man must uncover a conspiracy of pharmaceutical company before they kill him.’ It has the image of test tube on the cover and image of man on the run. So why not? I like a espionage novel every once and I’ll give it a try.

The story is about this man named Taylor. He’s in one of the high places in a small pharmace
Nora St Laurent
Jul 10, 2015 Nora St Laurent rated it really liked it
“Muliti-billion dollar giant Revell Pharmaceuticals is devouring its competition. A new research breakthrough propels the company into releasing its most profitable product ever. Yet a family crisis confronts them when Kirra Revell, heiress to the empire, goes missing.”

Taylor Knox, an employee of Revells latest acquisition, is blackmailed into leading the search. An expert surfer, Taylor pursues the world's biggest waves as a cover, only to be ensnared in a deadly contest of corporate espionage.
Jun 01, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok
Taylor Knox has been sent to find one of his ex girlfriends who has mysteriously disappeared. Sounds straightforward, but she’s the younger sister of the CEO of a company who is buying out Taylor’s employers. And as soon as he starts asking questions, his life is threatened. He’ll have to travel halfway across the world to track Kirra and whatever she is chasing, unless what’s chasing after him catches up first.

I didn’t realize this book was written by the same author who wrote “The Centurion’s
Brent MacDonald
Feb 17, 2016 Brent MacDonald rated it liked it
There is a trend in the contemporary thriller genre, to try to so satisfy the reader's appetite for action, that the chase of the thrill overrides the simple art of storytelling. In Elixir, Bunn avoids this. As a clean and thoughtful writer, he seems to know the right balance between adrenalin-laced plot and contemplative character development. Not the most memorable book I've read, but certainly enjoyable just the same.
Danm
Mar 23, 2016 Danm rated it really liked it
Solid book. Lightning quick read. A little depth in regards to relationships and culture, but more on the entertainment side.
Susan
Jan 24, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Commuters who need an entertaining read to pass the time.
Recommended to Susan by: Library
Elixir was an entertaining novel about the lengths a major pharmaceutical company may go to protect a promising drug.
Ed Klein
Dec 29, 2014 Ed Klein rated it did not like it
Soft food for eighth-graders ? This writer should be training oxen , not teaching writing !
Janet Valonis
Jan 27, 2016 Janet Valonis rated it liked it
I liked this book; but, not as much as Lazarus Trap
Mary
Oct 12, 2015 Mary rated it liked it
pharmaceutical industry merger threatened by herbal remedy
Rachel
Jan 01, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it
It has been many years since I have read any of Bunn's work, and I'm happy to see that he has published so many books. I do think that compared to some of the other "Christian" fiction writers out there, Bunn's style is a little simplistic. This book could very easily be classified as Young Adult. That being said, I think the premise of this plot was really cool.

I have another one of his books checked out from the library, so we'll see how that one is.
Tim
Apr 28, 2008 Tim rated it it was ok
Really a very strange book. It is sort of like those crazy jet set all over the globe corporate thrillers, a bit of a christian redemption story and starts out like a Zen surfing novel. None of these apparently work well together and maybe that is what the author was out to prove. Also I don't really like the stories where the main charecter came from nothing but somehow manages to be excelllent at everything and everybody they meet loves them.
Andrew Neveils
Aug 15, 2008 Andrew Neveils rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a good action/adventure filled with thrills and theology
This book was fast paced for the most part. It slowed in a few areas as Bunn atempts to develop the plot/characters, but does not do so well at it.

I loved the beginning and ending to this book!

It starts off right in the middle of action and ends with a bang as well! The middle is the only part that prevents this review from being a 5.

It's a great read! I read it in a matter of hours (long drive to South Florida).
Kae Cheatham
Apr 14, 2011 Kae Cheatham rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Taylor has to look for Kirra Knox, who the sister, Amanda, says has been kidnapped. Kirra is Taylor's "true love." He begins the search, even though he knows Amanda can't be trusted. He revisits childhood places and we learn of his background. His search takes him to Ireland and then the Basque country of Spain. Many attempts are made on his life. He finds Kirra and makes many revelations about his own life
Nick Woodall
Feb 05, 2016 Nick Woodall rated it really liked it
A great corporate, espionage thriller!
Eva
May 01, 2009 Eva rated it it was ok
I have read other Davis Bunn books and really liked them; however, I really didn't like this one all that well. It was very interesting to me in the beginning because so much of it took place in St. Augustine which I've been to on numerous occasions. Even the character development was good in the beginning, but it got muddled once he went to the monastery.
Marty
Oct 20, 2008 Marty rated it did not like it
I'm sorry... I just couldn't get into it, even if I did read it all the way through.
I don't believe there is any excuse to take something from the middle of the book and stick it in the front as a prologue. That's a no-no in my rulebook. If you can't hook the reader with the beginning of a book, then something is wrong with it.
JoAnne
Sep 29, 2015 JoAnne rated it liked it
Shelves: lt
Pharmaceutical corruption, Amanda the wicked sister to the 'kidnapped' Kirra, and Taylor, the brillant biologist hired to find her. Opening chapters kept me interested. Easy and entertaining read. I will pick up Davis Bunn again.
Andrea
Feb 22, 2011 Andrea rated it liked it
Pretty entertaining story, although the detailed descriptions on surfing in the first chapter almost made me stop reading (not that I don't find surfing interesting, but I wanted things to move along).
Mom
May 29, 2015 Mom rated it it was amazing
Good mystery - Taylor went through some harrowing experiences. It kept me guessing throughout the book as to where Kira was and who was after Taylor. Interesting ending.
Marliss
Nov 19, 2010 Marliss rated it it was amazing
Wow... it's been a looooong time since a book kept me up late because I just had to finish it, and then I felt a sense of loss once I was done with it. Very good book.
A.
Oct 03, 2012 A. rated it did not like it
Shelves: suspenseful
Poorly written, poorly edited. The plot is weak, the characters have no dimension and there's not a believable moment to be found. Wasn't worth skimming.
Stephanie Blackbern
Jun 18, 2009 Stephanie Blackbern rated it it was amazing
strange time warp thing bit very good - I read all Davis Bunn-sometimes he is my "christian " version of John Grisham and like JG his style expands!
Elizabeth
Sep 27, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Interesting view of what some drug companies might do..a little mystery and intrigue never hurt anyone.
Glenda Burchett
Aug 14, 2010 Glenda Burchett rated it liked it
Interesting enough, but not exciting. Kind of anticlamictic.
I expected more from this book.
Jenny
Dec 20, 2014 Jenny rated it liked it
I love this author's mysteries, this one was one of the weaker ones, tho.
Karen
Jul 14, 2012 Karen rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Boring. I could not even get through the first chapter.
Julie Powell
Sep 29, 2013 Julie Powell rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
not a bad book but I just had a hard time getting into it.
Kel
Apr 06, 2009 Kel rated it it was amazing
A great adventure story from start to finish.
alison
Apr 09, 2015 alison rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014
Too Christian...and predictable.
  • Mark of the Beast
  • Breach of Promise
  • Head Game
  • Memory's Door  (A Well Spring Novel, #2)
  • Emerald Windows
  • Winter Haven
  • The Wounded Yankee: 1862 (The House of Winslow)
  • Just Hand Over the Chocolate and No One Will Get Hurt
  • Folly's Bride (Brides of Montclair, #4)
  • Solar Flare
  • Sea to Shining Sea (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #5)
  • Another Homecoming
  • Surrender Is Not an Option: Defending America at the United Nations
  • Toward the Sunrising (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #4)
  • Bryson City Seasons: More Tales of a Doctor’s Practice in the Smoky Mountains
  • The Salt Garden
  • The Allies (American Family Portrait #6)
  • Water's Edge
Davis Bunn is an internationally-acclaimed author who has sold more than seven million books in twenty languages.

Honored with four Christy Awards for excellence in historical and suspense fiction, Davis was inducted into the Christy Hall of Fame in 2014.

His bestsellers include The Great Divide, Winner Take All, The Meeting Place, The Book of Hours, and The Quilt. A sought-after lecturer in the a
More about Davis Bunn...