Start by marking “Champagne for the Soul: Rediscovering God's Gift of Joy” as Want to Read:
Champagne for the Soul: Rediscovering God's Gift of Joy

Champagne for the Soul: Rediscovering God's Gift of Joy

"The injunction 'Get real' usually means 'Leave your world of fantasy and return to what really is.' True Realism always and everywhere is to find out where joy resides. In the past year this magical gift got lost or mislaid in my life. Mike Mason has located it, given it voice, and helped me to recover it. Even one sip of Champagne for the Soul is a heady, exhilarating ex ...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Regent College Publishing (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Champagne for the Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Champagne for the Soul

Jennifer Bogdanowicz
Last year, in a deep depression this book brought me comfort and peace and most importantly, revealed the JOY in all aspects of my life. I Highly recommend it for those who are struggling with a lack of consistent joy in their life.
Amanda
Dec 10, 2016 Amanda rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this devotional. It's a great reminder each day, for 90 days, to choose joy. Having joy is a choice, and also a command. God calls us to have joy in our attitudes; we can decide how to look at a situation and whether to praise God for the blessings he has provided, or to grumble about the frustrations of the day.
Really enjoyed the casual writing style and how open he was about his struggles and his journey in chasing after joy.
Poetreehugger
Apr 15, 2011 Poetreehugger rated it liked it
I just couldn't get enthusiastic about this book as a whole.
For one thing, I was about one third of the way through the book when I realized it might be meant to be a ninety-day daily devotional. I'm still not sure, but there are ninety two-page 'chapters', so that must be the intent. In the introduction, the author states "this book is the record of that experiment in joy", and so I expected a kind of journaling of the process. Instead it seems to be a collection of observations, meditations, a
Lee Bertsch
Feb 26, 2016 Lee Bertsch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In writing 90 short essays or devotional thoughts on the same topic of joy, it is inevitable that the author will circle back more than once and cover similar ground. Nevertheless it was a rewarding to be confronted almost daily with an invitation to welcome the joy that God seeks to bring to us, not in measured amounts but in fullness, not through strenuous efforts but as a gift. Some of us need that many invitations until we start accepting that it is really and genuinely extended.
Bex
Jan 10, 2016 Bex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unashamed
Satisfying. A good daily devotional. Or just a daily read. To be reminded each day that joy is a choice, that there is joy to be found. Because Jesus offers us that unending joy, and with him we can live in it forever.
Renee Reynolds
Oct 29, 2012 Renee Reynolds rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! With tiny, two-page chapters providing daily vignettes on joy, Mike Mason allows his readers to sip slowly the delightfully refreshing, supernaturally given champagne for the soul. If you want to be happy, read this book.
Karyn
Mar 01, 2009 Karyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started off great. A reminder that we should be happy with what we have in this world. It should have been 30 days instead of 90 -- really got old after awhile
Glen Grunau
Jul 11, 2009 Glen Grunau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any other melancholics out there? God longs for us to experience joy and here is how we can search for it and find it. Great book!
Kendra Fletcher
Jul 04, 2012 Kendra Fletcher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one is an ongoing, looping read, meaning I start at one end, finish at the other, and start all over again.
Amy
Apr 30, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
Mike Mason's words are so helpful and so profound at this difficult time in my life. I thank God for placing this book in my lap.
Wayne Presnell
May 19, 2016 Wayne Presnell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book very slowly in a round robin of devotionals over the past few years. I just completed it and would recommend it to others. Very interesting experiment with joy he conducted.
Jane Coleman
Jane Coleman rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2009
Carlee Easton
Carlee Easton rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2012
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2015
Chrystal Westbrook
Chrystal Westbrook rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2014
Susan Skavdahl
Susan Skavdahl rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2012
Myrna Buhler
Myrna Buhler rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2012
Curtis
Jan 13, 2014 Curtis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book with daily readings on joy. 90 chapters allow you to focus on joy daily for 3 months.
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2009
Deb
Deb rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2015
Kim Gerbrandt
Kim Gerbrandt rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2012
Floyd
Floyd rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2012
Michelle Young
Michelle Young rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2007
Bruce Daccord
Bruce Daccord rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Lara Searcy
Lara Searcy rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2009
Jared Sylvester
Jared Sylvester rated it it was ok
May 03, 2013
Kim Karpeles
Kim Karpeles rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2012
Katie W
Katie W rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2013
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2012
Victoria
Victoria rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2014
Mike Mason is the best-selling, award-winning author of The Blue Umbrella, The Mystery of Marriage, The Gospel According to Job, Champagne for the Soul, Twenty-One Candles, and many others. He has an M.A. in English and has studied theology at Regent College. He lives in Langley, BC, Canada, with his wife.
More about Mike Mason...