Start by marking “Runaways: Dead End Kids ” as Want to Read:
Runaways: Dead End Kids

Runaways: Dead End Kids (Runaways #8)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  4,519 ratings  ·  160 reviews
The kids start running in a different direction. Superstar JOSS WHEDON (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, ASTONISHING X-MEN) and rising star MICHAEL RYAN (NEW EXCALIBUR, NEW X-MEN) take the Runaways to the Big Apple. While there, they make surprising allies and even more surprising enemies. Runaways #25-30
Published January 14th 2009 by Marvel (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Runaways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaways

Terry
I would have liked this more if Joss Whedon's name on the cover had been larger.
Don
Um. Was only okay. Joss definitely has the kids' dialogue and personalities down - but boy was there WAY, WAY too much going on in this story! Dozens of new characters allied in multiple factions, at least two time periods, a largely extraneous first act.... You kind of get the feeling that the story was something Joss had thought up separately and then shoehorned the Runaways into as simply an excuse to tell it.

Not *bad* per se, but ... weirdly confusing.

Sesana
Something is missing here. The previous volume ended with Iron man standing in the Runaways' hideout in LA. This one opens with them trying to hide out in New York City. Something happened between one issue and the next. Crossover event? Probably. Sigh.

It isn't really necessary to know what happened there to understand the story here, thank goodness. One of the best things that I can say about Whedon taking on the book is that he writes the characters in almost exactly the same way that Vaughan
Nicolo Yu
So Brian K Vaughan left his creation The Runaways to concentrate on other writing work not in Marvel but before he left, he endorsed to the one man he trusted his babies with, Joss Whedon.

It was great that Marvel and Whedon were able to hammer out the details to allow him to work on Runaways despite his heavy workload. Michael Ryan was drafted to provide art and Jo Chen was retained to produce her magnificent covers.

I really liked how Whedon managed to maintain BKV's vision for the characters w
Emily
If you're jumping into Runways just because of Joss Whedon do yourself a favor and stop, go back and start with book one. It's worth it. Discover Brian K. Vaughan. He's a wonderful writer and this is a great series. Heck, Joss Whedon took over writing because he was a fan of Runaways!

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I wish Whedon hadn't taken over writing Runaways. There was just something off about the story and the characters. I can't put my finger on it.

The story was a little all o
RJ
I am one of these annoying people who only picked this up because it was written by Joss Whedon. I'm also a (queer, feminist, disgruntled) comics fan, and completely confused as to how I never heard of this title until Whedon wrote an arch of it.

If you're here because you're a Whedon fan, I don't think you'll be disappointed. It has all of his hallmarks: funny quotable dialogue, a complex but tight-knit plot, cultural references that make you feel smart (Yellow Kid as a turn of the century super
Ryan Mishap
So, like a dummy, I got this because Joss Whedon wrote it without having read any of the others. So why should I know what in the hell is going on?

Premise is awesome: children of super-villains decide they don't want to be evil and take off, hence the title.

This has many of the Joss Whedon traits, but, again, dummy didn't know the story so it wasn't all that fun.

The situation The Punisher finds himself in is fucking hilarious, though, so I can't say this was a waste. Must go back and start from
Addison
I kinda hate this run and Joss Whedon for killing the Runaways and all the misplaced hype he brought to the book, just to write a 6 issue run over the course of about a year and then ditch the title. Runaways always had worries about cancellation and his follow up to BKV's run should have brought the book to wider attention and greater sales. Instead it got cancelled.

But, all things considered, the story arc in the volume was overall pretty good and Whedon was able to keep the feeling and voice
jess
I got this from the library one night when I attempted to ensure I didn't miss any of the Buffy comics available from our fine public library. Joss Whedon writing for Marvel and I missed it entirely? Hmprgh! I had never read any of the earlier Runaways from Brian Vaughn, but the story wasn't difficult to pick up. The Runaways are the kids of the Pride (a group of Marvel villians). They realize their parents are bad guys, try to turn over a new leaf and make some mighty pledges for justice and go ...more
Scott
I really like the Runaways series, and I would say I am totally gaybones for Whedon (that's a mixture of 30 Rock reference and profession of my love for Joss).
However, I was disappointed by this volume, collecting Runaways issues 25-30, the group begins by following in the parents footsteps (working for the villian Kingpin), being attacked by Punisher (who gets kicked in the nuts (HILARIOUS!)), and going back to 1907 where they meet early superheroes called Wonders. But it's not very coherrent,
William Redd
I have to wonder if Whedon and Vaughan decided to swap books for one run. Here, Joss takes on Runaways, while Vaughan also wrote a run of Buffy Season 8. Was it planned? Who knows.

So, Joss writes our Runaways back to New York and a meeting with the Kingpin. This leads to them stealing something that might have belonged to their parents, the Punisher on their trail, and a horribly scarred flying beast of a man who works for a little old lady. All of this lands the team a hundred years in their pa
Mark
Joss Whedon takes over the story line for this volume, and sends our heroes back to New York circa 1907. He creates parallel characters in the past to stand in for The Punisher, Kingpin and others, as well as the inevitable grand melee between the various factions. Fun stuff!
John Kubalak
Dead End Kids is the best of the Runaways collected volumes. You need to read volumes one through seven first because there is a lot of backstory you need (and will enjoy reading) but it's well worth the homework. Runaways is one of the more original and engaging superhero team concepts in a long time. Full props to Brian K. Vaughn for creating the series and getting it up and running but Joss Whedon strikes again with his mix of humor, pathos, and well written characters to hit it out of the pa ...more
Patrick
Both jarring and beautiful at the same time.

I so much hate that BKV left the stage and the characters to the ether. I hate that all of these threads were left dangling and nothing would ever come of them again. That we really never will get an ending to his story? That they finally got through the growing pains of not needing cameos from old vets to make this story and these characters work, and now it's over.

But...I loved that they got Joss in to let the audience down slowly, because this was a
Joey Heflich
Mairi
This volume was the reason I decided to read Runaways (although I started from the beginning, in part because I'm enjoying Vaughan's Saga).

I quite enjoyed reading this story, and my main complaint that it wasn't longer. It would have been nice to have more issues about 1907 and it's characters, and it would've been interesting to see what else Whedon would have done with the Runaways.

The characters felt the same as under Vaughan, and the artwork, while slightly different was similar enough (unl
Virginia
Classic Whedon dialog. Enjoyable (even with all the time-travel tropes) and fun to read. Nico, as usual, AWESOME.
Shera (Book Whispers)
Wow, this could have been one hell of a story with a wallop! Instead it's made me leery of a switch-up of names on the cover. Whedon . . . I fear it. No really there were so many things I love, time travel, tragic romance, dark themes, and woman's rights but the flow of this story was horrid. The jumpiest story telling I've seen in Runaways, which is a shame because this series hasn't let me down yet.

Oh, and why so man "things" for everything. "Things" is not a word to replace other words . . .
Holden Attradies
Even though I read this volume out of order I enjoyed it a TON, might even be the best volume I've read so far. The time travel was well done and tied up any weird loop holes amazingly well. Every character had at least one moment to shine and advance as a character, and most of the new characters were down right cool. There were a few pages that I even teared up on, the whole "can't you hear the music" page and the heartbreaking ending to that story line...

Definitely a highlight for the series.
Kate
Runaways vol 8 #25-30 dead end kids
Art: A new artist this time the art is more how you would picture an American comic and yet still tolerable for manga fans although some parts not so much. The style is realistic cartoonish as in you can tell it's cartoony but this doesn't have the same flare as Eric Wight's work. the art work is plain enough that its tolerable for manga fans that has got to count for something B-

Characters: The group is all here and while no one really changes much they do su
scout cook

In the eighth book in the RUNAWAYS series, the kids travel back in time to early 1900's New York. They join a group with a bunch of other "gifted" kids. They try and explain to the kids what they think (know) might happen, without giving away that they're from the future. They eventually get in the middle of a riot against "normals". They help stop the fight, and head back to the future with a girl that they saved from her husband (the girl was like 9 and her husband was like 30). What will happ

Amanda
Cindy
This was a pretty decent book, and Whedon did a decent job with each of the characters. He was able to show their various insecurities and personalities, and while it took a while to separate everyone, after the few chapter, they were all crystal clear.

The overall issue would be how much these kids blundered, never seeming to know what they were doing. I'm willing to believe that this was showing their character growth, but after a while it wore thin. As did a few of the plot holes and the overa
Scott Lee
I encountered these characters for the first time in a Young Avengers/Runaways Secret Invasion crossover. While the premise is creative, I hadn't had all that much interest before then, and even this volume I picked up mainly because Joss Whedon's name was at the bottom as the writer.

The characters are well fleshed out and a fitting mix of child and adult as all teenagers are. While I've never read Vaughn's volumes and so cannot speak to how well Whedon captured the characters in that sense, as
Eric
Aug 23, 2011 Eric rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Marvel comics, Joss Whedon
Shelves: graphic-novels
The direction this series had been going before this was getting a bit stale, so I'm glad Joss Whedon came in and turned the whole thing on its head. That being said, the end result wasn't much better, albeit for entirely different reasons than my previous gripes.

I loved the idea of having the kids seek out the Kingpin, steal a priceless artifact, scuffle with the Punisher, and time travel to the past, but there was just way too much going on to make sense of it all in the limited space it was g
Ryan
huh. i read this today while sitting in the library waiting to use the bathroom because the toilet in my house is all stupid and cloggy. no matter how many times the man comes to fix the water level or the floaty thing or the jiggly bit, there's no fixing it. previously it just flushed in this depressed sort of there's-no-point-in-continuing-what-is-my-purpose-in-life-Le-SIGH sort of way, but now it's decided to get angry and go on strike instead. personally, i prefer the depressed toilet over t ...more
Vanessa
This volume collects the brief Joss Whedon-penned story arc of the Runaways, a series with a bumpy past that now appears to be, regrettably, on hiatus. The Runaways are a group of teens with super powers who bumped off their parents when they discovered they were super villains. There's also a lesbian love triangle so, at this point, it's obvious why Whedon was a fan of the series. In this chapter of the story, they travel back in time to turn of the century New York City.

Bonus fun are cameos f
Slayermel
Sep 10, 2011 Slayermel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any Joss Whedon Fan
I really liked this story about the Runaways, and actually figured out half way through that I’m coming into something that I missed the beginning too, which explains why I was a little confused in the beginning. The story in typical Joss style involves love, romance, humour and tragedy all rolled up into one fine delicious package and I love that about Joss.

The Runaways appear to be children of various villains in our time who somehow managed to either kill their parents or get a rep that they
Neil M
Not nearly as good as The original series by Vaughan. Seemed like a perfect fit for Whedon, but for some reason, this one didnt work for me at all. Hated the change in artist, too - didnt fit the series at all. I think Whedon's X-Men run is one of the greatest things ever - wish he would've extended his run on that instead of taking over this book, which was a lot better off when Vaughan was doing it.
  • Runaways, Vol. 7: Live Fast (Runaways, #7)
  • Runaways, Vol. 9: Dead Wrong (Runaways, #9)
  • Runaways, Vol. 11: Homeschooling (Runaways, #11)
  • Civil War: Young Avengers/Runaways
  • Secret Invasion: Runaways/Young Avengers
  • Young Avengers, Vol. 2: Family Matters (Young Avengers, #2)
  • Young Avengers Presents (Young Avengers Presents)
  • X-23, Vol. 2: Chaos Theory
  • Dark Reign: Young Avengers
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 13: Hobgoblin
  • X-23: Innocence Lost
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)', 'Angel (1999–2004)', 'Firefly (2002)'
More about Joss Whedon...

Runaways (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Runaways, Vol. 1: Pride and Joy (Runaways, #1)
  • Runaways, Vol. 2: Teenage Wasteland (Runaways, #2)
  • Runaways, Vol. 3: The Good Die Young (Runaways, #3)
  • Runaways, Vol. 4: True Believers (Runaways, #4)
  • Runaways, Vol. 5: Escape to New York (Runaways, #5)
  • Runaways, Vol. 6: Parental Guidance (Runaways, #6)
  • Runaways, Vol. 7: Live Fast (Runaways, #7)
  • Runaways, Vol. 9: Dead Wrong (Runaways, #9)
  • Runaways, Vol. 10: Rock Zombies (Runaways, #10)
  • Runaways, Vol. 11: Homeschooling (Runaways, #11)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home (Season 8, #1) Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 1: Gifted Serenity: Those Left Behind (Serenity, #1) Fray Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 2: Dangerous