Wellspring of Magic

Wellspring of Magic

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  39 reviews
What happens when six ordinary girls accidentally open a secret door into another world? Ages 9-12
Published January 1st 2007

Beata Bowen
Awful, just awful. Predictable and blah. One of those books that reads like a laundry list or a grocery list or something else equally dry and boring. But, this book is aimed at young girls and since I read it to a young girl, I decided to ask her for a review. So here it is:

"It was a good book. I really like how the author told the story and how the girl turned into a mermaid. And I really like how the mermaid can talk to the monster." She gave it five stars. Too bad she does not have her own g...more
Hannah Young
This book was very simple, but not boring. It is about six girls finding a door that leads to another world. The book is full of adventures and quests the girls have to complete together. When they complete all the quests they find out they are long-awaited princesses who have special powers they use to restore the magic of the secret world. My favorite part is the killer plants; it creates a creative image in my mind. I suggest this book to anyone looking for a quick read and adventure.
Heididoodle
very, very ,very...

GOOD!
Dominique
The wellspring of magic is about six girls Aly,Rachel,Rissa,Kaida,Shaylee,and Marshal who find a mysterious hole in there ancient clubhouse.They soon find out that there are millions of people who live down there.When the girls (accidentally)fall in the hole they meet an intelligent girl named Eithermous who claims that the only way for the girls to get back home is to fix the wellspring of magic(a very sacred fountain)!Will the girls make it home in time,and complete there mission,find out in t...more
Theresa
After picking this up at a yard sale, I realized this was a tie in book to a website and a launch for a young girls line of crafting supplies and I'd imagine more books. I makes me want to go to the website and see if that ever panned out.

Anyway, the beginning of the book is the bios of all the girls who end up in the club, an there are so many of them, you'll be thankful to be able to page back and reference. All of the girls come to live in a forgotten development that has an overgrown park at...more
Sara
This was a promotional freebie, sent to my parents who then passed it on to my six-year-old daughter. Six eleven-year-old girls of diverse backgrounds and interests move to the same town at roughly the same time and become friends. One day they each recieve a mysterious little metal triangle engraved with an image, a different image for each girl. When put together, the pieces form a gateway into a Fantasy World Mark 1 (dragons, magical guardians, and native fairy folk edition). In this world, t...more
Katrina
When six neighbourhood girls open a door into a world beyond theirs, they are more than a little surprised to discover that, in this other world, they are all princesses, and they all possess remarkable powers. As they journey to heal the Wellspring of Magic, each girl unlocks her power, and discovers the talents they have that can mend this new found world.
Cheryl in CC NV
Nov 22, 2011 Cheryl in CC NV rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Cheryl in CC NV by: smalls
Support for a sales promotion called Creative Girls Club, but still awfully cute. Perfect, I'd think, for a female reluctant reader age 8-11. Not deep enough for more stars, though... and it looks like it failed to take off.
Emily Theroux
May 08, 2013 Emily Theroux added it
Shelves: fantasy
The book I have just finished reading is called the Wellspring of Magic by: Jan Fields. This book is a good fiction book and it is mostly about magic. In the beginning of the book three girls accidently open a portal to a magical place by all placing their pins on the table (which they each got one in the mail) in there clubhouse and they went together to open it. Then a little girl came out and said that they were the princesses and needed to go with her.

Once the little girl came out she man...more
Christopher
Pulp in its raw state.

This book was a gift from a co-worker of my mother's. In theory, it should be right up May's alley - magic weilding girls, travel to a fantasy world, talking bears, the works!

In practice, it is just badly concieved and written. There are too many characters, six "pricesses" to keep straight. Characterization is flat (Rissa is Snarky!, Shaylee is small and easily scared!). The book itself is poorly printed with several pages faded almost to illegibility. Nearly every chapter...more
Plainfield Public Library District
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Melany
Read this years ago when I was younger, I really liked it then. I don't have the copy anymore so I can't reread it and give it a new review.
Children's Literature Project
Alysa (Aly) Cohen, Rachel Cohen, Marisol Marquez, Kaida Jordan, Shaylee Ballard, and Larissa (Rissa) Delany are friends. The six ordinary girls open a portal to another world where they come face-to-face with killer plants and monster-sized spiders that want to trap the girls there. They realize that they can’t leave unless they somehow master their powers in time to save the wellspring. I could not find any leveling information but this can be used as early as fourth grade. It helps to foster t...more
Cyan
Jan 01, 2014 Cyan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any body who loves princesesses, magic,suspence, and alturnitve universes
Shelves: fairy-tales, favs
has always been one of my favorite books, in it six girls find themselves in a world of dying magic as magic is the life source they find out they are the chosen ones on there adventure they find one is mermaid one is a witch one can control plants one can speak to animals but the next two are for you to find out while they are there they discover so much about them selves they would never found alone.
Oh My Bookness
For a free book I got in the mail I think this book was alright. This is a "girly" type of book, where 4 friends find out there princesses and have magical gifts and go into another world and they had to save the land. They went on different adventures, faced different obstacles along the way. The book is about finding yourself and who you are, based in a fictional sense with magic and fa and mythical creatures involved. The book was nice read, I enjoyed it.
Shannon
Very sweet story. I like that it shows how, no matter our differences, we can become friends. And sometimes those differences help us work together to do amazing things. I also liked the diversity in the girls. It was neat that they made them different races, with diverse backgrounds and family lives. I think my niece will like this.
Alisse
I thought that the Wellspring of Magic was a fantasy but yet it was pretty good. I thought it was good because each of the girls have their own little powers.
Tori Campbell
This book is very adventurers!! I would recommend this to people who like adventure books like a lot. I rate this book a 4 star because it is a good book. There is a princess that shows then there magic and then they become princesses also! I like this book because I like princesses!
Nancy
Was an easy read but moved along and kept your interest. It is definately a pre-teen book, but I think that young girls would enjoy it. Charactors were likeable and included enough fantasy to still be believable (for fantasy ficton).
Kitakitts Cruz
I agree with the some reviews that there are too many characters in the story. I had a hard time remembering which one of the princesses has which gift. Still the little girl and I had an awesome adventure with the princesses.
My 7 1/2 year old says: "I really liked it because the girls had a club and then they received magical keys that opened a portal to another land. I liked it because it was fun and told about the girls and their adventure."
Eric Bingham
I read this book with my 4 year old daughter, and its the first chapter book that has kept her interest throughout the whole book. It wasn't one that I enjoyed so much, but I liked reading it with her.
Beckey
Six girls, of them princess open a door to another world full of magic and wonder. Each of the girls realize they have special magical powers that never knew that they had.

Enjoyable and interesting read.
Mirelle
Very interesting. I had another copy and just got this one in the mail so I have it up for swap.

I recommend this book for girls about the age of 10 who like adventurous fantasy stories.
NaDell
This is a book I got in the mail for free to subscribe to some crafty magazine for kids or something. I read it to the girls in a few nights and they liked it.
Tammy Bryant
It was a great bedtime book that Sarah and I read together, looking forward to if they come out with more in this series!!
Andd Becker
A secret portal in Portal, Connecticut leads to a magical land where events occur at breakneck speed.
Lauren
i love this book its so full of magic and adventure ive already read it like 5 or 6 times
Bradley
I know.. another girlie book. This one ia fun loving girl fantasy tale that has a happy ending. =)
Brianna
Creative Girls Club: Wellspring of Magic by Jan Fields. I got this book FREE in the mail!
Sequal? 1 4 Jun 25, 2013 11:25AM
ratings 1 6 Feb 17, 2012 10:10PM
  • The Best School Year Ever (The Herdmans #2)
  • Dreams Come True (My Secret Unicorn, #2)
  • Sepron The Sea Serpent (Beast Quest, #2)
  • The Littles Go Exploring
  • Oh, Yuck!: The Encyclopedia of Everything Nasty
  • The Dinosaur Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #44)
  • Horrible Harry and the Dungeon
  • The Moon Dragon (The Secrets of Droon, #26)
  • Space (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #6)
  • Kitten in the Candy Corn (Animal Ark, #41)
  • Freya the Friday Fairy (Rainbow Magic: Fun Day Fairies, #5)
  • Sir Lancelot, Where Are You? (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #6)
  • Penguin Puzzle (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #8)
  • Muttley (The Puppy Place, #20)
  • The Great Egyptian Grave Robbery (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures #2)
  • Pleasing the Ghost
  • The Catnapping Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #18)
Rag Doll In The Attic Emeralds In The Attic The Valise In The Attic (Annie's Attic Mysteries #12) Road Trip! (Annie's Attic Mysteries #17) Jane Eyre