Start by marking “Chef's Story: 27 Chefs Talk About What Got Them into the Kitchen” as Want to Read:
Chef's Story: 27 Chefs Talk About What Got Them into the Kitchen

Chef's Story: 27 Chefs Talk About What Got Them into the Kitchen

This companion book to The French Culinary Institute's Public Television series hosted by Dorothy Hamilton brings together twenty-seven extraordinary chefs to tell the personal stories behind their culinary triumphs.

Chefs have become figures of heightened interest in our culture over the past decade. We look at chefs as stars and to restaurants as their stage. The twenty-s
Published April 3rd 2007 by Ecco

To ask other readers questions about Chef's Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chef's Story

Mike
May 27, 2008 Mike rated it really liked it
Some interesting and insightful stories of how some of the most relevant chefs of today got in the field.Some knew early on that that was what they wanted to do.Some just fell in to it.A recurring theme in some of these stories is making the big step up.Challenging one self.I was in college and a pretty good bike racer,but I knew I had to make a decision to get up to pro level racing.I quit school and raced full time,but needed a part time job and ended up in a restaurant.There are stories here ...more
Michael
Feb 05, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I liked that this book didn't give the usual harsh view of what it takes to be a chef story. I've read that book more than once already. All of the chefs seem a little more light hearted and passionate. This may have been the easiest book I've ever read, and actually inspired me to look more closely at the way I cook and open myself up a bit more. My only complaint is of a personal nature - I'm sick of hearing about French cooking - Big Deal!! - butter and cream, cream and butter, more cream and ...more
Anthony
Mar 19, 2013 Anthony rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've read about what got these people cooking. I'm biased, I've worked for FCI, worked for quite a few of these Chefs, but it's great to read about their personal reasons for entering this insane industry. Should be a must read for every cook entering this world.
Carol
Jul 11, 2007 Carol rated it liked it
Recommends it for: foodies
I enjoy cooking and watch a lot of Food Network. It was interesting to me to find out how famous chefs started their vocations. What surprised me were that so many started from different spaces, and that what made them excel and be successful are almost identical.
Julie Rybczynski
Jan 15, 2008 Julie Rybczynski rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-enjoyed
This book is from a PBS series of the same name. I picked it up on a whim at the library and it set me off on months of reading exclusively about food. The book interviews 27 top chefs about how they started cooking. It is great!
Nancy Dardarian
Jul 26, 2012 Nancy Dardarian rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the first person narrative from 27 chefs about the development of their skills, what has inspired them, and how they stay fresh and interested.

So many of them experienced the birth of their passion for cooking at home - with talented home cooks creating good meals every day.
Emma
Aug 07, 2008 Emma rated it really liked it
I'm really enjoying this book - little snippets into the passions behind why these amazing chefs chose their careers. A nice un-romanticized view for those of us with culinary voyeurism.
Becky
Dec 31, 2007 Becky rated it really liked it
If you like cooking and have pondered becoming a chef (and I certainly have!) this is a great read. Just fun, easy reading about what inspired chefs to get cooking.
Jessica
Aug 11, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
A bunch of chefs who went to the French Culinary Institute talk about how they found their love of cooking. Not all of them are totally unique but they are all interesting.
Kosh Koshover
Mar 12, 2009 Kosh Koshover rated it really liked it
A fun quick read, little vignettes into some favorite chefs
Libby
Oct 22, 2007 Libby rated it liked it
Not exactly high literature, but a fun and easy read about some of my favorites!
Bruce
Bruce rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2014
absankar
Aug 21, 2012 absankar rated it liked it
interesting,
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2016
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2017
Melia
Melia rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2009
Foodbrat
Foodbrat rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2014
Ann Marie
Ann Marie rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2009
Lindsy
Lindsy rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2009
Elaine
Elaine rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2011
Sarah rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2009
Maura
Maura rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2013
Camille
Camille rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2008
Jon
Jon rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2013
Mango
Mango rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2015
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2008
Travis
Travis rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2009
Asma
Asma rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2011
Danielle Polansky
Danielle Polansky rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Dorothy Hamilton founded The French Culinary Institute. She is chairwoman emeritus for life of the American Institute of Wine and Food, and was recently appointed chairwoman of the board of trustees for the James Beard Foundation. She lives in New York and Connecticut. (from the publisher's website)"
More about Dorothy Hamilton...