Killer Year: Stories to Die For

Killer Year: Stories to Die For

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  362 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Killer Year is a group of 13 debut crime/mystery/suspense authors whose books will be published in 2007. The graduating class includes such rising stars as Robert Gregory Browne, Toni McGee Causey, Marcus Sakey, Derek Nikitas, Marc Lecard, JT Ellison, Brett Battles, Jason Pinter, Bill Cameron, Sean Chercover, Patry Francis, Gregg Olsen, and David White. Each of the short s...more
Published December 23rd 2008 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Killer Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killer Year

Hood

Bound Dec. 18, 2008 - Miami SunPost

’Tis the Season…

To Kill Somebody

By John Hood

As if the holidays themselves weren’t enough to spur a murderous rage, now we’ve got a killer recession to add to the equation. And if not being able to buy your blabber-mouthed baby what she’s been bugging you about all year doesn’t drive you to do someone in, surely decking the halls with useless paper will. I mean, how better to celebrate being flat broke during the High Shop...more
Markus
Average rating: 2.125 (details below)

„Killer Year“ is a collection of 16 short stories from different authors (mostly newcomers) of the thriller genre. The stories range from 12 to 42 pages in length and from bad to amazing in quality.

Some stories were either boring or annoying (6x 1 star), some were ok (5x 2 stars), some were good (3x 3 stars) and two were really outstanding (1x 4 stars, 1x 5 stars).

Detailed ratings:

Perfect Gentleman, Brett Battles
2 stars

Killing Justice, Allison Brennan
1 star

Bo...more
Evelyn
Thirteen debut crime writers from 2007 offer up short stories in this great compendium. Authors include Robert Gregory Browne, Toni McGee Causey, Marcus Sakey, Derek Nikitas, Marc Lecard, JT Ellison, Brett Battles, Jason Pinter, Bill Cameron, Sean Chercover, Patry Francis, Gregg Olsen, and David White. Edited by Lee Child and Laura Lippman.

Not every story is a hit, but overall, this is a great read. I especially enjoyed the new authors' introductions by some of my favorite writers. Each story ca...more
Andrew
Ok I will put my hand up and admit that I was first drawn to this book with the Lee Child strap line across the top - although it quickly became apparent it is a collection of short stories with afore mentioned Mr Child being the editor and having added a few words as way of an introduction. The story collection is really a show case of the authors who contributed - some are new - some are established all are different, there is no real theme running through the book - with content, style and ev...more
Tyler
Short Stories from both new authors and others that are well-known to readers of comtempoary crime stories.
They are trying to get some publicity for the authors who all seem to have a book that is being plugged in the opening comemnts for each story.
After reading all the stories, I get the feeling that many of the authors are not as comfortable with the short story format. Either that or they hammered one of these out, leaving the A-list stuff for their own future solo work.
So I'm not sure how r...more
L.
I love short story mysteries. This is a pretty good combination of basic whodunnits, lots of noir and pseudo-noir, and a couple of completely whacked-out stories. There's even a western.

As the title says, most of these are by brand new authors. Salted among them are stories by writers with some name recognition. No one huge, but it's nice to see those who've gotten published helping those below them on that ladder.

My favorites: "One Serving of Bad Luck" by Sean Chercover (about outwitting crook...more
Gill Ireland
Can't say I love short stories; like a tease without consummation! However there were some good stories, and some which really didn't inspire at all. Lee Child as editor cashing in on his name.
Brian Graham
good collection of short stories by umknown authors , edited by lee child , good inlook into some authors you could sell lok out for that you would otherwise ignore
Lisa Decesare
I really liked this book. It seems like it is very difficult for new authors to get published in the mystery field. Heck, it is difficult to get published in every field but romance or chick lit!

This book is the result of a collaboration between veteran and new authors. The established mystery authors agreed to mentor new writers and these new voices all published stories in this anthology.

I think it is a great buy just to show support for the genre but I also found quite a few new people that...more
Jenn
Wow! What an amusing batch of short stories. I had heard of most of these authors so maybe Killer Year worked. Although I used to live down the street from The Sleuth of Baker Street and would spend hours slogging my way through that store. I read quite a few genres, but always find my way back home to thrillers. I finished this in a day and am jonesing for more! I must find Brett Battles as I found his work the most intrigueing.
Stacy
This is a collection of short stories from some new crime writers who had their first books published in 2007.

There were two stories I couldn't get through--The Time of the Green by Ken Bruen(because of his writing structure) and A Failure to Communicate by Toni McGee Causey (hard to follow).

The ones I liked the best were Perfect Gentleman by Brett Battles and Prodigal Me by J.T. Ellison.
Helen
Killer year is a killer story collection. Each and every one of these stories ends in a way the left me rocking in my chair thinking “holy smoke”. From the Papasan seeking vigilante justice on behalf of one of his go-go girls to the politician who thwarts an attempted suicide, the authors presented here are the ones to watch in the mystery and thriller genres.
Terry Wood
This book is a "sampler" of short story thrillers and a very good read. While a couple of the short stories left me scratching my head, most were good and a few were truly great. I found new authors that I'll be looking for more from, starting with Sean Chercover. And that was the whole point of the book, introducing these new authors.
Schalk
Like most anthologies of this kind the stories are of various levels of quality, with some being suspenseful and well written and others simply does not get of the mark or the rhythm is completely of. From the selection of stories some of my favorites were Bottom Deal, Slice of Pie, The Point Gaurd and Death Runs Faster.
Indie
I gave up on this book because it is not the type of genre I usually read and enjoy. But what stories I did read where amazing and most were suspensful. I just think that this needs the right type of person to read this thriller collection. From what I did read, "Perfect Gentlemen" was my favourite short story.
Laura!
This book was alright. Some of these authors have no business writing short stories and should stick to writing novels. But some of the stories (particularly the later ones) were really good. Well written with good plot twists. All in all an enjoyable read.
Greg Davies
It was a great suprise reading this collection, I was so disappointed with the other collection that I really did not expect anything, and what a shock! Strong, postive and exciting new talent telling strong teaser stories. Loved it
Katey
I originally got this book because of the author I'm currently reading. The perks of reading several short stories in one book, is I am introduced to many different authors, and I can read what they wrote. I'm keeping track.
Donna
This is one of the best anthologies I've ever read. These are new crime fiction writers from 2007 with alot of promise. My favoriter short stories were by Robert Gregory Browne, Toni McGee Causey and Sean Chercover.
Jonathan
Somewhat of a mixed bag, but several outstanding short stories for those who like short stories. One was set in the city in the Philippines I lived near as a kid and always feared--with good reason, given this story.
Renie
A collection of short stories, some beautifully written and most with interesting twists. Resulted in my desire to scour the library for books by one of the authors (Marcus Sakey). Worth a look....
Sally Pearce
Great book of short stories by then new crime fiction writers. I read it slowly and savored almost every story in it. The one by J.T. Ellison is very short but packs a real wallop!
Marissa D
excellent showcase of new writers! i highly recommend if you're into short stories. even if you're not, this will definitely get you hooked on them.
Carolyn
Highly recommend -- a nice sampler of upcoming authors. Several have books I thought looked interestig, and now I know I'll enjoy reading them.
Toni
This was a great book. I originally bought it for the Allison Brennan story and stayed for all. I hope that there are more Killer years to come.
Pipistrelle
Very uneven story selection - some were terrific and some were not worthy of being in this book. Nice way to learn about new writers, though.
Colleen
Short stories take a long time to get through the whole book, but I now have lots of new authors to explore!
Toni ~married to a hunk~
I only read the short story by Sean Chercover and loved it as much as I did the full length stories.
Mysteryfan
Short stories in the hardboiled private eye genre. Some of them were quite intriguing.
Alicia
a great collection of short stories. Will look for the authors again.
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents The Blue Religion: New Stories about Cops, Criminals, and the Chase
  • Dangerous Women
  • Big City, Bad Blood (Ray Dudgeon, #1)
  • Two of the Deadliest: New Tales of Lust, Greed, and Murder from Outstanding Women of Mystery
  • Murder in the River City
  • Thriller 2: Stories You Just Can't Put Down
  • Like A Charm
  • The Plot Thickens
  • Slide (Max & Angela, #2 - Hard Case Crime, #36)
  • Thriller: Stories To Keep You Up All Night
  • Conferences Are Murder (Lindsay Gordon, #4)
  • Guns and Roses (Includes: PI Julie Collins; Bobbie Faye, #3.5; Rough Riders; Bullet Catcher; Shadow Stalkers, #3; Housewife Assassin)
  • Dead at Daybreak
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.2)
Lee Child was born October 29th, 1954 in Coventry, England, but spent his formative years in the nearby city of Birmingham. By coincidence he won a scholarship to the same high school that JRR Tolkien had attended. He went to law school in Sheffield, England, and after part-time work in the theater he joined Granada Television in Manchester for what turned out to be an eighteen-year career as a pr...more
More about Lee Child...
Killing Floor (Jack Reacher, #1) One Shot (Jack Reacher, #9) Die Trying (Jack Reacher, #2) Without Fail (Jack Reacher, #6) Tripwire  (Jack Reacher, #3)