Postcards from Across the Pond: Dispatches from an Accidental Expat

Postcards from Across the Pond: Dispatches from an Accidental Expat

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The Pond began as a means of keeping in touch with the folks back home in the USA, but it soon expanded into a commentary on British life by an accidental expat. Whether you've been in the UK for decades, or are just about to embark on your journey, this title offers entertaining descriptions of the author's life across the pond.
Published November 26th 2008 by Lean Marketing Press (first published March 3rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Postcards from Across the Pond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Postcards from Across the Pond

Stephanie
I loved this humorous, insightful book. I did not want to put it down. Michael Harling has a quirky way of looking at ordinary living experiences. I do also and that is why I could laugh and identify with his book. I had never heard of him nor had previously read anything written by him. I choose it from the library shelf because of the title and color of its cover. It is late winter here in Michigan and I wanted an escape with a lighthearted touch and that is exactly what I got. I am going to b...more
Jane Foor
S'ok. A fun read. Nice short anecdotes.
Kym
Reading this brought back such funny memories. It may have been 10 years ago and we may have come across different 'ponds' but it would appear the feeling of discombobulation is the same. A great expat read...because as a non-expat you might enjoy it but as an expat you'll just simply 'get it'.
Smitten by Britain
My favorite book on expat life in Britain. If you liked Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson, you'll love this book because it's actually funnier! Visit the author's blog for a taste of the kind of humour you'll find inside Postcards. http://www.postcardsfromacrossthepond...
Brynna
This was a fun, witty collection of short essays about an Expat American living in Britain and his observations about life in England. He has an appropriately dry wit so it was funny, but not laugh-out-loud funny. I enjoyed it so much that I got his other books as well.
Karen Wherlock
I really wanted to like this, but I found it dull.
Christine Jolley
Christine Jolley marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Lisa (scarlet21)
Lisa (scarlet21) marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Christine Clouse
Christine Clouse marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Clockwork Nomad
Clockwork Nomad marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Larissa
Larissa marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Chris Murphy
Chris Murphy marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Louisea
Louisea marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Annemarie
Annemarie marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Fran
Fran added it
Sep 21, 2013
Amanda Fendrick
Amanda Fendrick marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Michael Harling was born and raised in rural Columbia County in Upstate, New York. He worked for New York State as an Identification Specialist and computer project manger before moving to West Sussex in 2002.

Since moving to Britain, he has written several humor books about his experiences as an expat. He also writes crime fiction.

Blog
More about Michael Harling...
Finding Rachel Davenport Postcards from Ireland: The Making of an Expat More Postcards from Across the Pond: Dispatches from an Accidental Expatriate