Start by marking “Postcards from Across the Pond: Dispatches from an Accidental Expat” as Want to Read:
Postcards from Across the Pond: Dispatches from an Accidental Expat

Postcards from Across the Pond: Dispatches from an Accidental Expat

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  37 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
The Pond began as a means of keeping in touch with the folks back home in the USA, but it soon expanded into a commentary on British life by an accidental expat. Whether you've been in the UK for decades, or are just about to embark on your journey, this title offers entertaining descriptions of the author's life across the pond.
Published November 26th 2008 by Lean Marketing Press (first published March 3rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Postcards from Across the Pond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Postcards from Across the Pond

Stephanie
Feb 13, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I loved this humorous, insightful book. I did not want to put it down. Michael Harling has a quirky way of looking at ordinary living experiences. I do also and that is why I could laugh and identify with his book. I had never heard of him nor had previously read anything written by him. I choose it from the library shelf because of the title and color of its cover. It is late winter here in Michigan and I wanted an escape with a lighthearted touch and that is exactly what I got. I am going to b ...more
Jane Foor
Apr 07, 2014 Jane Foor rated it liked it
S'ok. A fun read. Nice short anecdotes.
Kym
Jan 08, 2014 Kym rated it really liked it
Reading this brought back such funny memories. It may have been 10 years ago and we may have come across different 'ponds' but it would appear the feeling of discombobulation is the same. A great expat read...because as a non-expat you might enjoy it but as an expat you'll just simply 'get it'.
Smitten by Britain
Feb 14, 2011 Smitten by Britain rated it really liked it
My favorite book on expat life in Britain. If you liked Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson, you'll love this book because it's actually funnier! Visit the author's blog for a taste of the kind of humour you'll find inside Postcards. http://www.postcardsfromacrossthepond...
Brynna
Sep 17, 2013 Brynna rated it it was amazing
This was a fun, witty collection of short essays about an Expat American living in Britain and his observations about life in England. He has an appropriately dry wit so it was funny, but not laugh-out-loud funny. I enjoyed it so much that I got his other books as well.
Karen Wherlock
May 18, 2013 Karen Wherlock rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this, but I found it dull.
Katie
Katie added it
Aug 11, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Judith Moore
Judith Moore rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2016
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Danielle Pennock
Danielle Pennock marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Linda Edwards
Linda Edwards marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Conny
Conny marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Juli Wooden
Juli Wooden rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2015
Dianne Holt
Dianne Holt marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
maralissima
maralissima marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it did not like it
Jun 01, 2015
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Jess Neuner
Jess Neuner rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Kristina
Kristina rated it really liked it
May 17, 2015
Lynda
Lynda marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2015
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Jody
Jody marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Michael Harling was born and raised in rural Columbia County in Upstate, New York. He worked for New York State as an Identification Specialist and computer project manger before moving to West Sussex in 2002.

Since moving to Britain, he has written several humor books about his experiences as an expat. He also writes crime fiction.

Blog
More about Michael Harling...