Start by marking “Burpee the Complete Vegetable & Herb Gardener: A Guide to Growing Your Garden Organically” as Want to Read:

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  88 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Similar in style and format to the highly successful Burpee Complete Gardener, this book is devoted to growing vegetables and popular culinary herbs without using synthetic and harmful fertilizers and insecticides. Packed with more than 300 full-color photographs and comprehensive reference information, Burpee Complete Vegetable & Herb Gardener is the most authoritativ ...more
Published November 24th 1997 by Wiley (first published November 10th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Burpee the Complete Vegetable & Herb Gardener, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burpee the Complete Vegetable & Herb Gardener

Linda
May 27, 2014 Linda added it
would buy
Heather
Sep 29, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
Amazing resource. A garden is on the way at our home and this book gave me enough information to feel like I didn't have to blindly stumble through the first year. It's not truly a book for beginners as it's very dense and has more information than the novice is probably interested in to get started - but I like a good informational foundation before I take on the physical labor of creating beds :) Good to know what I'm in for.
Katie
Apr 03, 2008 Katie rated it it was ok
Shelves: gardening
I'm a skeptic. What's this book's angle? Is it's objective just to sell Burpee brand seeds? Can it call itself a guide to organic gardening when it still advocates the use of pesticides, herbicides and chemical fertilizers? While the second half has an enviable encyclopedia of herb and vegetable varieties, I will be looking elsewhere for a comprehensive gardening guide.
Tina
May 02, 2012 Tina rated it liked it
This book is the "go to" source for all of your garden needs and gives names of the plant, varieties of each and which grow best, and then explains how the plant grows, matures, and how to harvest. Also covers pests and how to deal with them. Very informative for the beginner or even a seasoned gardener.
Rachel
Mar 22, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome reference book for growing gardens. It covers all aspects of gardening (some more thoroughly than others) from soil improvement to detailed growing descriptions of many vegetables and herbs. I refer to it many times throughout the growing season. It is very handy to have around.
Steph
Sep 21, 2009 Steph rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a great reference book for home gardening and I refer to it often. It has lots of ideas on how to start your own garden and I love the individual sections for each type of vegetable. It also has great info on the different pests that affect different plants and how to control them.
Galaxyflyer
Dec 26, 2009 Galaxyflyer rated it liked it
It was vary good, I love all the pictures because they really helped. I think is was also limited. I would like to wright one as a normal Joe as I study all the plants around my house(Just my house) and then others for vary specific places so I can relate and use the whole thing!
Juli
Aug 28, 2008 Juli rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, food
This is the ultimate oranic gardening book I've come across. It has been a complete life saver in my first year as an urban gardener. Includes plant profiles, organic pesticide and fertilizer methods, as well as basic gardening tips especially useful for those new to the field.
Kim
Jan 08, 2008 Kim added it
i think this is the most helpful organic vegetable farm/garden book that i've ever read/constantly referred to. once, a car that I shared got broken into and the only thing that got stolen was THIS BOOK. for real. that happened in binghamton, ny.
Lee Ann
Jan 27, 2011 Lee Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
A valuable reference if you're trying to do things organically. Great for beginners. Also the individual vegetable profiles are really useful and provide much more info than the back of the seed packet.
Leslie Abla
Jun 27, 2008 Leslie Abla rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to start a garden
This book really helped me with my first official garden. Has info on pretty much every vegetable/herb you could grow. Also has good info on how to grow organically.
Lisa
Apr 07, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This book is fabulous. So much details about each of the vegetables. I borrowed it from the library but just ordered it to own.
Jodi
Feb 26, 2009 Jodi rated it really liked it
Really great reference, though in some ways it has too much stuff written out in paragraph form when a chart would be more helpful.
Tracy Best
Feb 19, 2010 Tracy Best rated it liked it
Trying to cull through the library's selection of garden books i preparation for planting this years' crop!
Sep 15, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it
good review info about veggies. very limited info on herbs. should not have "veg & herb" in the title if not going to talk about herbs. should maybe include things like strawberries, but I guess that would make it a veg, herb & fruit book.....
Cheryl S.
Jan 05, 2008 Cheryl S. rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
all the basics
Cass Greene
Cass Greene rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Brendan Burdick
Brendan Burdick rated it it was ok
Apr 11, 2016
Cheryl Shireman
Cheryl Shireman rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Josiah Franklin
Josiah Franklin marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Sergey
Sergey added it
Apr 02, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Christine Ward
Christine Ward rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Molica
Molica marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Katherine
Katherine rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016