Start by marking “Burpee the Complete Vegetable & Herb Gardener: A Guide to Growing Your Garden Organically” as Want to Read:

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Similar in style and format to the highly successful Burpee Complete Gardener, this book is devoted to growing vegetables and popular culinary herbs without using synthetic and harmful fertilizers and insecticides. Packed with more than 300 full-color photographs and comprehensive reference information, Burpee Complete Vegetable & Herb Gardener is the most authoritativ ...more
Published November 24th 1997 by John Wiley & Sons (first published November 10th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Burpee the Complete Vegetable & Herb Gardener, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burpee the Complete Vegetable & Herb Gardener

Linda
May 27, 2014 Linda added it
would buy
Heather
Amazing resource. A garden is on the way at our home and this book gave me enough information to feel like I didn't have to blindly stumble through the first year. It's not truly a book for beginners as it's very dense and has more information than the novice is probably interested in to get started - but I like a good informational foundation before I take on the physical labor of creating beds :) Good to know what I'm in for.
Katie
I'm a skeptic. What's this book's angle? Is it's objective just to sell Burpee brand seeds? Can it call itself a guide to organic gardening when it still advocates the use of pesticides, herbicides and chemical fertilizers? While the second half has an enviable encyclopedia of herb and vegetable varieties, I will be looking elsewhere for a comprehensive gardening guide.
Tina
This book is the "go to" source for all of your garden needs and gives names of the plant, varieties of each and which grow best, and then explains how the plant grows, matures, and how to harvest. Also covers pests and how to deal with them. Very informative for the beginner or even a seasoned gardener.
Rachel
This is an awesome reference book for growing gardens. It covers all aspects of gardening (some more thoroughly than others) from soil improvement to detailed growing descriptions of many vegetables and herbs. I refer to it many times throughout the growing season. It is very handy to have around.
Steph
This is a great reference book for home gardening and I refer to it often. It has lots of ideas on how to start your own garden and I love the individual sections for each type of vegetable. It also has great info on the different pests that affect different plants and how to control them.
Galaxyflyer
It was vary good, I love all the pictures because they really helped. I think is was also limited. I would like to wright one as a normal Joe as I study all the plants around my house(Just my house) and then others for vary specific places so I can relate and use the whole thing!
Juli
This is the ultimate oranic gardening book I've come across. It has been a complete life saver in my first year as an urban gardener. Includes plant profiles, organic pesticide and fertilizer methods, as well as basic gardening tips especially useful for those new to the field.
Kim
Jan 08, 2008 Kim added it
i think this is the most helpful organic vegetable farm/garden book that i've ever read/constantly referred to. once, a car that I shared got broken into and the only thing that got stolen was THIS BOOK. for real. that happened in binghamton, ny.
Lee Ann
A valuable reference if you're trying to do things organically. Great for beginners. Also the individual vegetable profiles are really useful and provide much more info than the back of the seed packet.
Leslie Abla
Jun 27, 2008 Leslie Abla rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to start a garden
This book really helped me with my first official garden. Has info on pretty much every vegetable/herb you could grow. Also has good info on how to grow organically.
Lisa
This book is fabulous. So much details about each of the vegetables. I borrowed it from the library but just ordered it to own.
Jodi
Really great reference, though in some ways it has too much stuff written out in paragraph form when a chart would be more helpful.
Tracy Best
Trying to cull through the library's selection of garden books i preparation for planting this years' crop!
good review info about veggies. very limited info on herbs. should not have "veg & herb" in the title if not going to talk about herbs. should maybe include things like strawberries, but I guess that would make it a veg, herb & fruit book.....
Cheryl S.
all the basics
Ḿ Al ghawi
Ḿ Al ghawi marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Ardis
Ardis marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Lora Cochran
Lora Cochran marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Judith
Judith added it
Oct 25, 2014
Stevie
Stevie marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Rodale's All-New Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening: The Indispensable Resource for Every Gardener Covering Ground The Veggie Gardener's Answer Book: Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face; Answers to Every Question You'll Ever Ask Shady Retreats: 20 Plans for Colorful, Private Spaces in Your Backyard Taylor's Guide to Perennials: More Than 600 Flowering and Foliage Plants, Including Ferns and Ornamental Grasses  (Taylor's Gardening Guides)