Start by marking “Les 1001 livres qu'il faut avoir lus dans sa vie” as Want to Read:
Les 1001 livres qu'il faut avoir lus dans sa vie

Les 1001 livres qu'il faut avoir lus dans sa vie (1001 Before You Die)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,915 ratings  ·  285 reviews
For discerning bibliophiles and readers who enjoy unforgettable classic literature, 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die is a trove of reviews covering a century of memorable writing. Each work of literature featured here is a seminal work key to understanding and appreciating the written word.The featured works have been handpicked by a team of international critics an ...more
Published 2007 by Trécarré (first published 2006)

Emily May

I have never had a problem finding books to read.

My whole life, I've never had a problem finding books to read and love. Of all kinds. Of all genres. I would seek them out, one way or another; they couldn't hide from me. From the Goosebumps books I found lying around on the shared shelves in the classrooms of my first school, to my pretentious swanning around my local library in search of those books called "classics" which meant you were totally smart if you read them (oh yes, I was a real deli
Edited 8-11-2010 to add Comment no. 4 (below) in response to Paul's follow-up question.

First of all, don't tell me what I "must" do before I die.

Just fuck off.

At Paul's behest, I'm writing my reactions to this list (not really the book, but give me a break - the book is just a bunch of pretty pictures and blurbs defending their idiotic choices). What's important is this shit-for-brains list.

Comment no. 1:

First, they need a subtitle for “1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die.” I’m thinking “I
Paul Bryant
There are so many literary awards these days but I think the following notable achievements have been TOTALLY MISSED. So here are the All Time Award winners :

Best Keith Richard impersonation : W H Auden

Award for the Best exotic dance : Colette and Diablo Cody (tie)

Most transgendered author : Gustave Flaubert

“Madame Bovary, c’est moi” - Ok, if you say so

Creepiest family portrait : The Fitzgeralds

Most ridiculous hats, if that’s what they are : Rebecca West :

Author who most looked like their own bo
Feb 04, 2012 Paul Bryant rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people needing something to step on to reach the top shelf in the kitchen
Has anyone thought of this already? Surely they have....

I wonder if it would be possible here on Goodreads to have a page listing all the 1001 books and - here's the thing - links to our own reviews of them (maybe with a limit in the case of famous books with a zillion reviews). It would be an interesting resource and would encourage people to review those which haven't got any reviews at all - say, for instance, The Taebek Mountains by Jo Jung-rae or Nervous Conditions by Tsitsi Dangarembga. It
Yeah, I know, we GR readers already have too many books on our To Reads list! :-)

As I get older my literary tastes change. I've been a little disgruntled with reading lately and thought I'd check this reference guide out. The first thing I did was to go through my home library and check off how many of these books I actually had. I'm embarrassed to say less than 50! So I'm going to use this list as a guide to broadening my reading horizons, together with recommendations by GR friends.

The 2013 ed
I joined the 1001 Books group here on Goodreads, thinking, "What a great way to get exposed to a ton of books!" so I thought I better take a look at the actual list.

Pros: Little descriptions of a lot of classic books. Lots of books described here that I have never heard of, and that I might not have known about otherwise. In fact, I may discover some new favorites through this list. Also, it appeals to my 12-year-old self, who loved to write lists of books I wanted to read. Overall, inspiring, i
Paul Bryant
Further note, for Ben and anyone else interested in what they've added - here are 20 recent titles they've added to give you an idea. I'm sure a comprehensive list will pop up somewhere soon.

Professor Martens' Departure : Jaan Kross
Obabakoak : Bernardo Atxaga
Inland : Gerald Murnane
The daughter : Pavlov Matesis
Memoirs of
First of all, it should have been titled 1001 Novels You must read..
Not Books. Because Origin of Species, The Bible, The Koran, The Rigveda and The Odessy and The Iliad were/are also apparently in the form of Books. And so is the great bathroom book. But not according to this *book*.
I learnt from this *book* that women's reading market is doing good. Lots of women read books.There were many women writers in the past centuries that were amazing and some of them were even better than Tolstoy. For
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
May 19, 2008
After reading or attempting to read a fairly large number of books listed in this book, I have come back and removed two of the stars I originally gave it. Many of the books are terrible, and many of the ones that aren't terrible are not "must reads".
Below is my original review from before I'd tried some of the suggested books.

March 16, 2008

I can't believe I read the WHOLE thing! I have it from the library, so I wanted to g
As a contributor to this, and having seen a few of the reviews, I thought I could clear a few things up:

1. The title – The publisher commissioned this book as part of its larger series of "1001…before you die". Having this "before you die" was a decision made in the publishing/marketing section as it was decided it would sell better/get more discussion going. It is also, obviously, a little tongue in cheek. "books" rather than "novels", as "novels" was seen as potentially turning people off as
Of course I didn't read this front to's a reference book, and a wonderful one at that. Besides, there are plot spoilers! The artwork from first and rare editions and photographs of authors are especially nice. This belongs on every bibliophile's shelf.

My three complaints:

1. The awful cover, which looks like a cross between a New Age pamphlet and a college text book. Why?

2. It seems as though every work by some authors is included, so that it could almost be condensed into "500 Author
Marius van Blerck
The secret to immortality is revealed ... read only 1000 of these. No more.
Jun 25, 2013 David rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people whose TBR lists aren't long enough
Peter Boxall and his panel of high-falutin' lit'ry types got together and made a list of 1001 books they think everyone should read before they die. Now the title might rub some folks the wrong way - hey, who are you, you high-falutin' lit'ry types, up in your academic towers, telling us what we must read? Ultimately this list is probably no better or worse than any other "best books" list compiled by literary scholars, though it's certainly longer than most. (I'd be amazed if any of Boxall's co ...more
I love talking about literature. Especially with regards to historical trends, comparing classics to newer fare, etc. Unfortunately, much of the conversation reverts to mindless lists. Which are worthless. An ordered pair of a random number and a random book name, signifying nothing.

I would take a single well-written book review over all the "Top X books" lists in existence. (Incidentally, this goes for movies, too) Those actually inform. "I like X!" is irrelevant to me, but "I like X because (
If you want a compact (well, 900+ page book) list of the books that many people consider to be "classic literature," then sure! Check this book out. It gives a general synopsis of 1001 "classic literature novels" that "you MUST read before you die". For that, it is useful. But it is not even close to being complete.

Surprisingly, the editor has organized the books by century, which I found encouraging, because at least I know they appreciate older literature for its value and influence over the f
Skylar Burris
Sep 10, 2008 Skylar Burris rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Modern book nuts
Shelves: reference, criticism
It's always fun to read some random academic's random list of the books one supposedly should read. It either bestows a sense of satisfaction in seeing one's tastes validated or inspires a pleasing self-righteous indignation at seeing certain books excluded; usually it does a little of both. "1,000 Books You Must Read Before You Die" includes contributions by over one hundred international critics, and, in addition to serving as an amusement, it also serves as a handy reference with summaries of ...more
3-3.5 stars. A great place to harvest fodder for your to-read list. The listings are organized by century of publication (the pre-1700s, 1700s, and 1800s sections are pretty skimpy compared to the 1900s). Each listing is accompanied by a synopsis and pretty pictures. 1001 Books introduced me to some authors and titles that I might not have stumbled upon on my own. It would have received more stars, too, if it presented a more balanced list. I just find it hard to believe that I "must read" TEN I ...more
This is a reference book on, as the title suggests, 1001 very important books. I have to admit, I was skeptical about this book. My first thought was, roughly, "Why should I pay for a book that's just a big list of better books?"

Well, thanks to the Orange County public library system, I don't have to pay for it. So now I have it (for three weeks, anyway), and I'm actually enjoying it a lot.

It's very browsable — it's easy to flip through and skim, and somehow it doesn't feel overwhelming. Each pa
I just bought this book used for $2.99. It's the 2008 edition. I have read 67 of these books. I see there's a group out there on Goodreads reading through this, I am going to check them out.

It's a surprising list. Some books are obviously on there. Other books - well? I can't give an opinion yet on some of those I've never heard of. It must all be ultimately subjective but some books have stood the test of time and some of the more recent ones - who knows? Will we be reading them 100 years from
Jeanette (jema)
Not read every word of the whole book but this is more the kind of book you keep on your coffee table to savor now and then. On the downside, they added not just one but 2 Coelho books *gasp* that is 2 too many if you ask me. And none of them is the 'best' one: The Alchemist. Oh well...
Of course the point of this book is to make you want to do your own 1001 list. It begs to be challenged.

(added from my update)
I read some of the reviews here and people just need to chill out, they are taking the
It's pretty, but... A list of the titles is more than sufficient for me. I got the impression that the titles were selected less because the author likes them and more because they're historically significant books. Which, believe me, is not a bad thing, and good tends to go hand in hand with significant. However, they're going to be the same titles you'd see on any other Must Read list, but compiled in one expensive book. I much preferred Nancy Pearl's Book Lust titles. Her suggestions are much ...more
Oct 31, 2008 Bader marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-my-library
The idea of this book is awesome. 1001 books of the greatest books ever written. This is ofcourse can be judged and be faced with a defending opinions but I see that no body can say that this book is not helpful. with just a quick look, I found Robinson Crusoe, pride and prejudice, frankenstein, Oliver Twist ... etc with summary and reasons which make these books valuable and with nice illustrations and photos.
Lisa Vegan
There’s no question that this is a beautiful book. There are many wonderful photos, drawings, book covers, etc. that enhance the text/book descriptions.

I had every intention of reading this book cover to cover, and some day I might do that; I do read many so-called reference books (such as cookbooks) 100%. But, it’s a 960 page book and I’ve decided I’d rather use this as a traditional reference book and read other books instead.

If I refer to it too often I’m afraid my to-read list will get mor
Miłośniczka Książek
recenzja pochodzi z mojego bloga:

Nie da się stworzyć idealnego zestawienia książek, które powinno się przeczytać w swoim życiu; takiego, które odpowiadałoby gustom wszystkich czytelników. Jest to po prostu niemożliwe. Peter Boxall - wykładowca literatury angielskiej na Uniwersytecie Sussex oraz redaktor "1001 książek które musisz przeczytać", sam mówi o tym w swoim wprowadzeniu do drugiego międzynarodowego wydania tej książki. To, co jednych zachwyca, inn
This is a book I really could not keep my hands off. It divides the 1001 books by time periods, most in the 1900s. Each page has a summary/review of one book, a picture of the book, or the author, or from a movie made from the book. The author and general index is very helpful for quick browsing. Since I am a Classics lover, I felt good seeing I have read quite a few books listed here. More than that I loved going through the glossy pages, intriguing pictures (havent seen many author photos!) an ...more
So many criticisms of this book are about one thing only, and that is so and so didn't get a certain book in. While I do feel that putting every single Virginia Woolf in is a little too much, it can easily be improved by limiting one book per author. That way, even Ayn Rand might have a change of nomination.
Scott Nelson
Rubbish, for the most part.
Travelling Sunny
 photo 20140521_181906_zpsxr8pkil7.jpg

How nice that my library has a copy of the 2006 edition of Boxall's List. At $35 a pop, I just couldn't bring myself to purchase my own copy. While it's doubtful that I'll ever be able to read all of these books, my attempts have introduced me to authors that are some of my new favorites! (On the flip side, I've also encountered some less than desirable authors.)

But now, as I make my way through his list, I can keep borrowing this from my local library and read all about WHY Mr. Boxall felt the
This book lists, as the title says, 1001 books which have been influential or stand out in any other way. The editor Peter Boxall is a Professor of English at Sussex University in the UK. The books are listed chronologically and start with Pre-1700 with Aesop's Fables (which I have actually read I can proudly announce!). The following 900 pages cover 1700's, 1800's, 1900's and 2000's. At the end, there is an author index and general index with a title index at the beginning for easy searching.

Short & Sweet Treats: 1001 Books to Read 45 91 Aug 31, 2015 12:16PM
The 2015 Reading ...: Boxall and his 1,001 Books 5 37 Aug 24, 2014 01:52PM
*~Can't Stop Read...: Liz's 1001 list 3 21 Jun 15, 2014 11:58PM
*~Can't Stop Read...: This topic has been closed to new comments. May Nominations - 1001 Books 10 44 Apr 22, 2014 12:47AM
*~Can't Stop Read...: This topic has been closed to new comments. April Nominations - 1001 Books 8 42 Mar 15, 2014 04:26PM
Aussie Readers: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die List 68 93 Jan 26, 2014 10:16PM
Boxall's 1001 Bo...: 1001 Books, 2006 edition cover 1 61 May 05, 2013 11:13AM
  • 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die
  • 501 Great Writers: A Comprehensive Guide to the Giants of Literature
  • 501 Must-Read Books
  • 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up
  • More Book Lust: Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason
  • 1001 Books for Every Mood
  • Great Books for Every Book Lover: 2002 Great Reading Suggestions for the Discriminating Bibliophile
  • 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die
  • The New Lifetime Reading Plan: The Classic Guide to World Literature, Revised and Expanded
  • Read This Next: 500 of the Best Books You'll Ever Read
  • The Rough Guide to Classic Novels 1
  • The Reader's Guide to Contemporary Authors
  • The Ultimate Teen Book Guide
  • Read, Remember, Recommend (A Reading Journal for Book Lovers)
  • Beowulf on the Beach: What to Love and What to Skip in Literature's 50 Greatest Hits
  • 500 Great Books By Women
  • The Top Ten: Writers Pick Their Favorite Books
  • Classics for Pleasure

1001 Before You Die (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die
  • 1001 Battles That Changed the Course of World History
  • 1001 Beers You Must Taste Before You Die
  • 1001 Bicycles to Dream of Riding
  • 1001 Buildings You Must See Before You Die: The World's Architectural Masterpieces
  • 1001 Cars to Dream of Driving Before You Die
  • 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up
  • 1001 Classical Recordings You Must Hear Before You Die (1001 before you die)
  • 1001 Comics You Must Read Before You Die: The Ultimate Guide to Comic Books, Graphic Novels, and Manga
  • 1001 Days That Shaped the World