Blank-133x176
Keysha's Drama

Earl Sewell

Keysha's Drama (Keysha #1)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  506 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Sixteen-year-old Keysha Kendall is a judge's signature away from foster care when she's sent to live with the father she never knew. Suddenly she has her own room in his big fancy house, a high-powered stepmother and a popular half brother who can introduce her to all the right people at her new school.

But Keysha can't forget where she came from. And she won't let anyone

Published (first published January 1st 2007)

Nardsbaby Reader
Connections

KEYSHA'S DRAMA written by Earl Sewell tells the story of Keysha, a teen from Chicago; she is forced to be responsible for self.
With the new school year approaching, the nerd in Keysha is anxious to at the very least have somewhere to escape to. Unfortunately, with an impending eviction, missing mom and no money, Keysha agrees to go on a shopping spree. Things didn't exactly go as they had expected, Keysha learns that Justine, her missing mom, isn't just out hanging in the streets,...more
DylanAnn
It was an ok book. I don't think it was that good because it wasn't up to date enough and the ending left questions unanswered. The climax and some events in the book were interesting but the conflict didn't come to a resolution at the end of the book. I could relate to the main character Keysha in some ways and I think that's what made the book not bad. The author wasn't detailed enough in some parts of the book and he didn't fully capture the essence of what he was writing about. I don't thin...more
Cynthia
Do you ever just feel like you connect to a book so much you call it your soul mate? Well I did in the book Keysha's Drama. Keysha is 17 year old girl that has been through a lot in her life. Her mother went to jail because of drug use. And Keysha found herself in a foster home of teenage girls. But one day her "dad" shows up with his family and takes her home. Keysha never met her father until the day he took her home with him. When she start to live with her dad her world changes because she...more
Aimee Kane
Wow this book was very bad, parts were just creepy and why would a man write about that club part! She seemed ghetto and it was hard to finish this book. I really wasnt to fond of it and it made Chicago look bad and I live in Chicago and it's really not that bad. At some parts it reminded me of Sarah Dessen's Lock and Key , similar theme about a girl whose mom doesnt support and take care of her and the girl goes to a rich house but it definitely was not as well written, lots of grammatical erro...more
Regina
I LOVE THIS BOOK I KINDA WITH THROUGH THE SAME THING KESHIA WITH THOUGH.WITH HER MOM NOT BEING THERE RUNING THE STRETTS DONT CARE NOTHING ABOUT HER DAUGHTER GETING THE NEXT MEAL OR NOT SO I FEEL THE PAIN THAT SHE FELLES KESHIA FINDS WHO HER REAL FRIENDS ARE GET AND A LITLE TROUBLE BUT AT THE END THINGS START LOOK GOOD FOR HER.....
Nardayia
Keysha was pretty a good character. I felt kind of bad for her cause her mother left her in a dirty/filthy house. She had to go live with her dad.The next book im reading is Decision Time and her dad takes good care of her. i really liked that book cause of the ending.
Lanetta
Personally, I didn't like the fact that Keysha was friends with a lesbian, but it's understandable because at the beginning she didn't know, and then they end up not being friends at the end of the story. Other than that, the storyline was pretty good.
Katrina Burchett
Sixteen year old Keysha Kendall doesn't get much love from her mother, Justine (she calls her by her first name). Her friend, Toya Taylor isn't a good influence and her ex-boyfriend, Ronnie, doesn't want anything to do with her. More than anything she needs someone to care about her; someone to make her feel safe, loved and wanted. She finds that person when the father she never knew is located, but it takes her a while to realize it.

Keysha referred to herself as `troubled' and that was sad. I...more
Rhayna Kramer
I must say that though this book was a quick read and easy to follow, I must say that I was thoroughly disappointed with the book for its content and for its mechanics, or lack thereof.

Concerning content, there are a few critiques. Although this is an interesting story, it is not necessary a credible piece of literature. Although inner city youth is a growing awareness, I am tired of reading books about people with ghetto mentality. The author's perception of teenage girls and black women in ge...more
Shayla
Earl Sewell’s purpose of writing his book, Keysha’s drama is to inform readers that no matter what family is always going to be there even when things get bad. Keysha’s drama gives hope and sympathy to the audience. It teaches us that no matter how much things get bad and you lose hope that things will get better if you want it to. Keysha’s drama is full of drama but it also teaches you the value of family. It leaves a lasting impression in the mind of the readers. The things that leaves a last...more
Laura Leonard
As the new shcool year approaches Keysha must deal with the dissapearance of her mother (she has ended up in jail), which leaves Keysha with no place to live and no money. Things take a dramatic turn when Keysha discovers she has a father who is willing to take her in.

For the first time she has a room of her own and doesn't have to struggle getting what most of us take for granted -- food, clothes, school supplies. Her step-mother and step-brother aren't overly welcoming, but Keysha does have a...more
Naa Adoley
Worst black book in the history of black books. Expresses the black environment terribly, plot was ridiculous and the characters did not have any tone or emotion. I will not be reading books like this ever again. N
Reynaldo
I like this book because it teaches me what this character goes through ad i cann relate to what she has gone through. I felt sad when i found out her mother was in jail and her mom was very irresponsible. I dont understand why keysha lived without a father figure. If keysha had a father, she wouldnt be treated so mean by her mother. I would say that everyone should have a fatherly figure, someone to look up on.
Jazmine
I love this book! As soon as i started reading this book i fell in love with it because it has drama and she is a poor girl in Chicago that had to steal to get the clothes she wanted and she had toi go and fight with her best friend because she didn't want to get caught with the things she did. I FREAKING LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!
Leaha
I Think this book would be good for people who has problems at home because It tells and give you that image of how to deal with things that are currently happening to you in your life. In my words keysha's way of solving things were good in a way she dealt with things with an struggle but she pushed threw and got threw things.
Hatalia
i really enjoyed this book..and it has left a feeling of me wanting more which is always good :D I look forward to reading the next one as soon as i get hold of it. What was also good was that there were some things which i could relate to, it was also funny and made me laugh out loud. So year, overall really kool :)
Deja
Jul 29, 2008 Deja rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens
Recommended to Deja by: I just saw it in a store
I learned that family always sticks together. Keysha is a young girl living in the hood with her no good mother. So she is sent to live with her dad. She causes a bunch of trouble and thinks, Why does my dad's family get to have a perfect life when I've had such a tough one? And it all goes downhill from there.
Beautiful_loveaffair
Keysha's Drama
By: Earl Sewell

The book " Keysha's Drama" is a very good book. Im on the part when keysha is getting put into a group home where she really isn't comfortable with the place or the people. Her social worker is trying to help her by getting in touch with Keysha biological father.
L.J.
Keysha, who is raised in a poor and dysfunctional family suddenly finds her life changing dramatically when she goes to live with her upper-middleclass father who's just found out about Keysha's existence.

Keysha's Drama is an enjoyable read for teens.
Kesha
Drama = understatement for this quick, melancholy read. Keysha experiences more trauma than the characters of three novels combined. The plot does not truly fall, so there must be another book so Keysha's story can actually conclude.
Shaniequa B
This is a great book.This book tell you a lot about how hard it is to survie in a black family.I really can understand what she went through and how she fealt.this book really points out the average problems in a black family's life
Janell
Keysha's Drama was a good book but could have been better. The book was okay for a moment and then it became boring. The more I was off into the book, the more I wanted to read but it was as fascinating as I thought it would be.
Alexis
This book was very instrestinq i never knew wht quite would happen next it just made me wanna hurry up and qet to dha next book.dnt qhet meh wronq this book was so intrestinq and i finished this book in one day
Tia C.
Keysha's life inst so easy. Her mother is always out parting at the clubs and has a friend across the hall that has a child. Sadly, her mother goes to jail and then she has to find her father and live with him.
Jayda
This book was really good. It was filled with drama and that’s what I love reading about. It was a little tragic and sad at parts because of the struggles that Keysha had to go through but it was still really good.
Aliciaa
i like the book.it kept me interested. at first i didnt really like the main character because she never listen to nobody. But then i started to like her , seem like she became a better person.
Shaniquamcclure
I love this book. It kind of remind me of things that happen in true life.
Keysha who's a strong, brave, smart teen is going thru things that a black teen sometimes will go thru.
Imani Hastick
This book was really good at it was surely full of drama. i recommand this book to alot of teens who are looking for good drama books.Then again i recommand all the TRU book!
Crystal
I like to read. That given i pick up anything to read. The book was good, the ending wasn't enough for me, hence the low ratings. Not a bad read for teens/young adults.
  • Indigo Summer (Indigo Summer #1)
  • The Pledge
  • Fast Life
  • Chasing Romeo (BFF Novel #1)
  • Fast Forward (Kenisha Lewis, #2)
  • Gettin' Hooked
  • How To Salsa In A Sari
  • Shortie Like Mine
  • Courtin' Jayd (Drama High,  #6)
  • 16 on the Block
  • Hotlanta (Hotlanta, #1)
If I Were Your Boyfriend (Keysha, #2) Lesson Learned (Keysha, #3) Myself and I (Keysha, #5)) Decision Time (Keysha, #4) Maya's Choice