The Complete Book of Spirits: A Guide to Their History, Production, and Enjoyment

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  6 reviews
An indispensable follow-up to his classic Complete Book of Mixed Drinks, Anthony Dias Blue presents The Complete Book of Spirits, a comprehensive collection of history, lore, and tasting tips, along with recipes for select cocktails. Here, in one concise and easy-to-use volume, is all the information a consumer needs to shop, mix, and sip like a spirits expert.

From bathtub...more
Published October 26th 2004 by William Morrow Cookbooks

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Book of Spirits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Book of Spirits

David
The Complete Book of Spirits is a broad survey of a very large field. For someone like myself, with huge gaping holes in my liquor knowledge, this was a very helpful reference. A brief, shallow guide like this is great when you know a little (or a lot) about certain portions of a subject but little to nothing about others.

For example, having already read quite a bit about Tiki drinks, I already knew quite a bit about rum. But I knew very little about Scotch. Now I feel able to converse about bot...more
Jill Miller
An easy, informative read. Great historical info about various spirits and some fun-to-know facts are included. Great tasting notes after each chapter. At the risk of sounding silly, I really wish this book had some pictures to break up the solid text a little bit. Some color pics of liquor bottles of various types would be a good addition for reference, and some mixed drink photos with the included recipes would be welcome as well.
Ambrosia Borowski
Most of the information in the book was obviously prompted from the alcohol distributers themselves. Incredibly PC, this is as informative as a label. A good portion of the information is also out of date. I found the 'vodka' and 'tequila' section particularly incomplete or outdated. Reads like a high school book report. Recommended only to the home drunk who wants to impress her friends with random alcohol stats and info.
Scott Schiffmacher
A great book so far, though not much info on the history of spirits themselves that I didn't already know, its still a good read, and another great reference, with its brand profiles and tasting notes. I learned a lot from the brand profiles, I knew a lot about the general history of the spirits, but not a lot about the companies. Very interesting.
Gavin Stitt
As a bartender, with a passion for the subject matter, I found this book very interesting. It does a great job of explaining the processes of making different kinds of spirits, and the history of each. It also gives great tips on how to enjoy them.
Pete
really really detailed. the tasting notes are very helpful.
Ursula Salazar
Ursula Salazar marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Rahul
Rahul marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
MacGhille
MacGhille marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Nat
Nat marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Yuqi Jin
Yuqi Jin marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Scott
Scott added it
Feb 23, 2014
Nezka
Nezka marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Chris Lippay
Chris Lippay marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
Ranjeet Khatri
Ranjeet Khatri marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2013
Robert
Robert added it
Aug 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Complete Book of Mixed Drinks, The (Revised Edition): More Than 1,000 Alcoholic and Nonalcoholic Cocktails The Complete Book of Mixed Drinks: Over 1,000 Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Cocktails Thanksgiving Dinner: Recipes, Techniques, and Tips for America's Favorite Celebration The Complete Book Of Spirits: A Guide To Their History, Production, And America's Kitchen: Traditional and Contemporary Regional Cooking Featuring Recipes from America's Most Celebrated Chefs