Start by marking “The Complete Book of Spirits: A Guide to Their History, Production, and Enjoyment” as Want to Read:

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  63 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
An indispensable follow-up to his classic Complete Book of Mixed Drinks, Anthony Dias Blue presents The Complete Book of Spirits, a comprehensive collection of history, lore, and tasting tips, along with recipes for select cocktails. Here, in one concise and easy-to-use volume, is all the information a consumer needs to shop, mix, and sip like a spirits expert.

From bathtub
Published October 26th 2004 by William Morrow Cookbooks

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Book of Spirits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Book of Spirits

David
Mar 20, 2012 David rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
The Complete Book of Spirits is a broad survey of a very large field. For someone like myself, with huge gaping holes in my liquor knowledge, this was a very helpful reference. A brief, shallow guide like this is great when you know a little (or a lot) about certain portions of a subject but little to nothing about others.

For example, having already read quite a bit about Tiki drinks, I already knew quite a bit about rum. But I knew very little about Scotch. Now I feel able to converse about bot
Jill Miller
Sep 04, 2011 Jill Miller rated it really liked it
An easy, informative read. Great historical info about various spirits and some fun-to-know facts are included. Great tasting notes after each chapter. At the risk of sounding silly, I really wish this book had some pictures to break up the solid text a little bit. Some color pics of liquor bottles of various types would be a good addition for reference, and some mixed drink photos with the included recipes would be welcome as well.
Ambrosia Borowski
Aug 26, 2013 Ambrosia Borowski rated it did not like it
Most of the information in the book was obviously prompted from the alcohol distributers themselves. Incredibly PC, this is as informative as a label. A good portion of the information is also out of date. I found the 'vodka' and 'tequila' section particularly incomplete or outdated. Reads like a high school book report. Recommended only to the home drunk who wants to impress her friends with random alcohol stats and info.
Scott Schiffmacher
Aug 11, 2011 Scott Schiffmacher rated it really liked it
A great book so far, though not much info on the history of spirits themselves that I didn't already know, its still a good read, and another great reference, with its brand profiles and tasting notes. I learned a lot from the brand profiles, I knew a lot about the general history of the spirits, but not a lot about the companies. Very interesting.
Gavin Stitt
Dec 23, 2007 Gavin Stitt rated it really liked it
As a bartender, with a passion for the subject matter, I found this book very interesting. It does a great job of explaining the processes of making different kinds of spirits, and the history of each. It also gives great tips on how to enjoy them.
Pete
Sep 30, 2008 Pete rated it really liked it
really really detailed. the tasting notes are very helpful.
neil saul
neil saul rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Ehsan Misaghi
Ehsan Misaghi marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Lucas
Lucas rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Renan Critelli
Renan Critelli rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
Audra
Audra rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2016
Sean LaBOrde
Sean LaBOrde rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Drakku
Drakku rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2016
Benjamin Walkenhorst
Benjamin Walkenhorst rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2016
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
chiếp
chiếp marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Jessica Schultz
Jessica Schultz rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
Bill Stroomer
Bill Stroomer rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2015
James
James rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2015
Carlo Acosta-Scagnelli
Carlo Acosta-Scagnelli rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2015
Matthew Ray Gabbard
Matthew Ray Gabbard rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2015
Jdsowder
Jdsowder rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2015
Joanne
Joanne added it
Sep 21, 2015
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2015
Paul A. Smart
Paul A. Smart marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2015