Start by marking “Utopia 2300” as Want to Read:
Utopia 2300

Utopia 2300

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,638 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
Three centuries past tomorrow: The place is Earth - an Earth just beyond the horizon, free of poverty, pain, disease. This is the story of some people who live in that near-perfect world. This is the story of the discontented ones who want to change Utopia through the modern techniques of science or the age-old tactic of revolution...
190 pages
Published 1980 by Heyne (first published January 1st 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Utopia 2300, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Utopia 2300

Lyn
Nov 16, 2015 Lyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beyond this Horizon by Robert A. Heinlein was written ten years after Huxley’s Brave New World and the influence from this genetic and sociological masterpiece is evident.

Also noteworthy is that the book was published during WWII and this may comprise Heinlein’s response to Hitler’s Nietzschian policies, especially ideas about elitist racism and possible supermen. Cannot help wonder if Woody Allen thought of this book while producing Sleeper as at least a couple of scenes reminded me of the 197
Manny
Jan 25, 2011 Manny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I read this book when I was 11, and I don't care who knows: I really liked it. I don't guarantee I'd like it as much if I read it again today. I'll admit I can't remember all that much about it. It's this future society run along sort of eugenic/libertarian lines. Everyone walks around carrying a deadly weapon, except for a few wusses. If somebody offends you, you challenge him to a duel on the spot. Or her, did I hear you ask? Good question. I don't think it ever came up.

The bit I remember best
Collin
Sep 12, 2008 Collin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Heinlein fanatics/completists
Recommended to Collin by: Jesse
This book answered a question for me that I've wondered about for a long time: what does an author do with his leftover story tangents that he likes but can't quite work in anywhere? Answer: he saves them all up for when he builds a great make-believe/alternate-reality society but has no storyline to go along with it.

Building great make-believe/alternate-reality societies is what Heinlein just does naturally, like a fish breathing water. In this particular novel, there are 2 fascinating aspects.
Cheryl
Jul 18, 2016 Cheryl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, it's kind of a mess. And remember Heinlein has a certain sort of disturbingly sexist attitude, doesn't understand women at all - certainly the only armed one is seen as, erm, eccentric, to put it mildly.

Females don't need guns because men (aka people) are all about being protective and chivalrous... except when they're spanking the girls or otherwise dominating them, that is. I did like "Women will forgive anything. Otherwise the race would have died out long ago." And he gets a few other
Denis
Jul 23, 2016 Denis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardcover
An early example of Heinlein learning the craft of writing novel length works. First published in serial form under his pseudonym - Anson MacDonald, this was his first attempt - "For Us, The Living" written during the late thirties and left unpublished until 2003, was an even earlier attempt and even less successful as a novel that this one, but both have all the seeds of the themes to come in future works as the Master refines his technique and finds his 'voice'.
Mike (the Paladin)
I read this years (and years) ago but when I ran across it I couldn't remember much beyond the "general world" in which it takes place.

I reread it.

Now I..."remember why i really didn't remember it".

It's okay. It's a pretty good story set in an interesting world but for a teen it does have a "bog-down-factor". In the middle of the book we get a fairly long dissertation on Mendelian Genetics. While it's of course a bit dated it's somewhat more interesting than it was when i was a kid...

Especially
Tom
Beyond This Horizon
by Robert A. Heinlein
read by Peter Ganim

Beyond This Horizon is classic science fiction with social commentary thrown in as you may expect from Heinlein.

Mankind has created a Utopian society where poverty and hunger are studied in school but don't actually happen anymore. Mankind has also worked toward eliminating weaknesses in the human chromosome via gene selection and intentional breeding. There are still some normal people (referred to as "control naturals") that could pot
Steve
Feb 02, 2015 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First time I've read this book in several (for some definitions of the word several). It's mostly noted, and maybe notable for its first few sentences, where Heinlein uses phrasing to put you in the midst of his future world. "The door dilated" is justly famous. His portrayal of a society where everyone (or most people) carry weapons (of one sort or another) is known to with its supposed corollary an armed populous is a polite populous. i don't buy it, and he really doesn't demonstrate here. As ...more
Jeff Yoak
Mark Nenadov
People who knock on this work as "the worst of Heinlein" obviously haven't taken time to understand it. This is a masterpiece. But it is a subtle masterpiece. If you buy this copy, I'd suggest you also check out the essay in the beginning of the "Gregg Press science fiction series" version. It explains some important details that the average reader may miss. Most prominently, it calls the readers attention to a particular transition that occurs on a particular page in the second half of the nove ...more
S. Naomi Scott
Mar 06, 2015 S. Naomi Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: previously-read
R.a.

“In the Name of the Egg!”
“Light is dark; up is down; and, life is death.”

Robert Heinlein continually surprises.

Somewhere beyond the dark future dystopia of Huxley’s Brave New World sits Robert Heinlein’s brilliant and provocative adult novel, Beyond This Horizon.

Subtitled “a Post-Utopian Novel,” the author earnestly sets out to create such a narrative amidst a future “utopian” society. Written eleven years after the Huxley novel, with its sub-plot anticipating the later horrific world o
Max Ostrovsky
Jan 03, 2012 Max Ostrovsky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction
As a big fan of Heinlein, I was extremely disappointed by this book. Maybe I was distracted by the misleading blurb on the back cover, or the Burt Reynolds/Charles Bronson cover art.
But I think it was something more than that. The narrative was random and disorganized. Too much of the book was spent towards something that never really developed, and not enough of the story was devoted to the actual story.
The actual story was about a man whose dilemma was what's so great about life that I need
Kathryn McCary
Not really what this non-Heinlein reader expected from Heinlein, somehow--but then, it seems to have been a relatively early work (apparently his first novel-length, serialized starting in 1942 and published as a whole in 1948). The society-in-which-adult-males-are-armed-by-default is unsurprising, but the easy acceptance of an essentially totalitarian eugenics program seems contrary to what I've heard from his admirers. Sadly, also, the plot is treated as secondary to the ideas (rarely a succes ...more
Kim
Oct 18, 2008 Kim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was the last Heinlein book I had not read, and ironically the first one I really hated. The plot was all over the place, seemingly thrown together at random. Two of the three main characters had names that were very similar and caused confusion, and the third main character turned out to be an idiot (very rare for Heinlein). The way the female main character was treated and then capitulated to the man’s wishes was frustrating (though somewhat understandable for a book written in the forties ...more
Jennifer Heise
Nov 30, 2015 Jennifer Heise rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody but other completists.
Shelves: science-fiction
I knew it was going to be awful when I started it, and I wasn't surprised by how awful it is-- but I'm a completist sometimes, and I felt like I had to know the worst.

The writing is stilted, the characters stock cardboard. I wondered if he had written it for one of the Pulp magazines, and it turns out he did-- Astounding Science Fiction. (If you know anything about John W. Campbell, you won't be surprised by the rest of this review. I bet he paid a bonus for this one. Nuff said.)

In a future soci
Nathan
Jun 22, 2008 Nathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Henlein Fans, Thinkers
Recommended to Nathan by: Michael Z. Williamson
Shelves: reviewed-2008, sci-fi
I never really could get into this book. The language is (appropriately) formal, as befitting the setting Heinlein set up which is one reason. Another is that the plot doesn't necessarily progress nearly as fast as the political commentary.

I agree with much of it, but it's more commentary than story.

The ending isn't that satisfying either, although it does follow from the overall story and makes good sense.

You've got to think to read this one.
Small Creek
I'm not really sure why I don't like this. Maybe it's because, once again, I've moved beyond early sci-fi or maybe something about this screamed stereotypes. If I had read Heinlein before all that Asimov, I may be tempted to say that Asimov was reworking the formula but as things are, I'm not.

Maybe I'll read it again with a clear mind some day when the urge for silliness in space and moral introspection takes hold.

Or maybe not.
Lafcadio
Oct 19, 2008 Lafcadio rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suite, fanscifree
This is not one of my favorite of Heinlein's works. I didn't realize I had already read it until I started in on it again, because the story is not very memorable. The story serves as a skeleton with which to convey some of Heinlein's Utopian ideals. Don't get me wrong, Heinlein's Utopian ideals are fascinating, but there was not much story here.
Kenny V
Apr 20, 2016 Kenny V rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't the greatest thing I've ever read but it was my first experience with Heinlein so I'll cut him some slack until I read some more. Overall I didn't really care for the voice of the characters, the semi-old-timey British way of speaking got old. Alot of the book felt rather useless, like it was a long drawn out set up for some of the philosophical points he was trying to make. I liked the story of the "resistance" and their demise but after that it felt disconnected. I felt like it sho ...more
meliss
Feb 15, 2009 meliss rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: librarybook
Disappointing. The writing is awkward and klunky. Reading Heinlein's thoughts on the ethics of eugenics from a 1948 perspective was interesting. Also, the copy I borrowed from the library had a three "plates" with great pencil drawings of random scenes from the book.
Matteo Pellegrini

L'antichissima aspirazione umana di creare una razza perfetta ritorna in questo romanzo biologico di Robert Heinlein, uno scrittore che ha sempre avuto un debole per le utopie basate però su ingegnose estrapolazioni scientifiche. Qui, in questa Terra del lontano futuro in cui tutti o quasi i problemi della sopravvivenza e della convivenza sono stati risolti, la blanda burocrazia che governa gli uomini si preoccupa non tanto di progettare dei semidei, quanto di selezionare e riprodurre certi cara

Alastair Hudson
Eric
Mar 01, 2015 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
I read this book because David Brin highly recommended it on his blog. And for a book written in 1942, it had some very interesting ideas. The long perspective and optimism of science was fun, and it was very interesting to read an SF novel written (barely) before WWII. And there were some occasional phrases that were used that I was shocked by. It's always nice to get a reminder of how much things have changed in a good way.

But because it was written in 1942 (when SF was very young), the plot s
Anita
Mar 09, 2009 Anita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took me AGES to read, and I usually finish books in a day. It's interesting but slow, and doesn't really have an ending.
Batya7
Mar 04, 2014 Batya7 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Hamilton Felix lives in the world where genetic selection and manipulation is routine.

This is not my favorite Heinlein novel. Original copyrights stem from 1942 and 1948.

At times the master is long-winded and waxes on the philosophical. Like many Heinlein novels, the story exists in an idealized society after great social upheaval. To me it seems less coherent than his other novels. I detect several different sub stories that don't seem well concluded. It doesn't fit into his "Future History"
The Fza
More of a conversation between Aldous Huxley and Robert Heinlein than anything. While it is harder to get into than Heinlein's early works usually are, this piece does have many of the 'problems' the average Heinlein detractor finds issue with it doesn't make this a bad story...

Though even a middling Heinlein adventure is usually better than most of the best SF writers of the same period's works... unfortunately this story was originally published back in 1942 within the pages of Astounding Scie
Max Beliy
Mar 03, 2015 Max Beliy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not Heinlein's best book. Characters are cardboard, scenes are naive, plot is flat. However it has the thing I like about Heinlein most - deep themes which makes you think in philosophical terms
The perfect society where people do not enjoy it as much as one would think
Quest for perfection
The conflicts which can arise from engineering people
Hedonism
Personal responsibility

All those things are not very well developed but they are there. And it was one of the most influential books I r
James Oden
Dec 19, 2013 James Oden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
One of the things I find endearing about Heinlein's prose is how the diction of the characters (and I suppose his own) reminds me so much of the way people used to talk in the old movies (1950's or below). This is no wonder since he was born in the early 20th century. It in no way helps or hinders the story line or characterization but it does perhaps date the writing and for me has a certain nostalgic effect due to watching many older movies from this period as a child.

The story itself is inter
Tim Williams
Dec 26, 2012 Tim Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good but very dated. I think the people who pan this title aren't quite as savvy as they think they are. Does one diss Jules Verne because his books did not hold up to later scientific fact? Of course not. This book was published in 1942, for pete's sake! Why are people jumping all over the genetics in it? Let's put things in context - the world was at war (WW II), the Nazis were trying to create a master-race, and in general there was a huge struggle going on between totalitarianism and democra ...more
  • Trader to the Stars
  • Time and Again
  • The Singers of Time
  • Earth Is Room Enough
  • Sinister Barrier
  • Islands in the Sky
  • Slan (Slan, #1)
  • Starmind (Stardance, #3)
  • Polymath (Zarathustra Refugee Planets, #2)
  • The Syndic
  • Through the Eye of a Needle (Needle, #2)
  • Galactic Patrol (Lensman, #3)
  • Galactic Empires 2
  • Starburst
Robert Anson Heinlein was an American novelist and science fiction writer. Often called "the dean of science fiction writers", he is one of the most popular, influential, and controversial authors of "hard science fiction".

He set a high standard for science and engineering plausibility and helped to raise the genre's standards of literary quality. He was the first SF writer to break into mainstre
More about Robert A. Heinlein...

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” 203 likes
“Nothing gives life more zest that running for your life.” 9 likes