Start by marking “De geesten van Tsavo” as Want to Read:
De geesten van Tsavo

De geesten van Tsavo

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  258 ratings  ·  27 reviews
"Paterson zat stil en luisterde naar het gekraak van botten en naar wat hij noemde het 'het tevreden, spinnende geluid' dat hij dagenlang maar niet uit zijn hoofd kon krijgen."

Tsavo betekent 'slachtplaats'. De leeuwen die op de vlakten van Tsavo jagen staan bekend om hun exceptionele grootte, hun manenloze mannetjesleeuwen en hun historische jacht op mensen. Iets meer dan
Published 2002 by Uitgeverij Maarten Muntinga bv

To ask other readers questions about De geesten van Tsavo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about De geesten van Tsavo

Nancy
This is a book about man-eating lions. You may as well stop reading this review now, because can you really go wrong? I mean, even though the author went to Africa to work with researchers in the hopes of gaining scientific knowledge of the animals, is it wrong that my favorite parts were accounts of the man-eating itself?

Different researchers have different theories about the lions of Tsavo and they carry out careful experiments in an attempt to uncover answers. Are the mane-less lions of this
Will Byrnes
The book opens with gripping tales of lion hunting in Africa. There was the famous tale of two man-eaters in Tsavo, Ghost and Darkness, which had killed and devoured hundreds of humans at the end of the 19th century. There have been other outbreaks. Why? What makes these man-eaters different from the wooly-maned lords of the Serengeti? The opening, the first couple of chapters, is wonderful, but it is downhill from there, mostly following Caputo as he accompanies others in their research or hunt ...more
Kate Savage
Caputo travels through Kenya stalking lions alongside scientists with opposing views on why these particular animals in Tsavo sometimes track, kill, and eat humans.

Tsavo means place of slaughter in KiKamba. Generally, when referred to geographically, Tsavo refers to Tsavo East National Park in Kenya. This area is noted for lions. More spefically-man-eating lions. In 1898, two man-eating lions nicknamed Ghost and Darkness, killed an estimated 135 people. Another noted period of man-eating lion te
Meaghan
This is a sort of combination science and travel book. Unfortunately the "science" side was much weaker than the "travel" side.

The author writes of his trips to east-central Africa on photographic safari, tracking the lions of Tsavo, and his adventures. Apparently safari vacations, at least in the Tsavo, are not for the faint of heart -- it's close to 100 degrees all the time, you're very far from civilization, there's a real chance of getting mauled and/or eaten by some wild animal, and there a
Sam
I'm in two minds about this book, much like Caputo seems to be in his writing as he jumps between the science of the animals, their ecology, behaviour etc. and the philosophical musings he scatters amongst the scientific endeavours he is following. I enjoyed the science side of this book as Caputo details each of the various theories about the Tsavo lions and the experiments being undertaken to determine whether they are in fact a separate species or subspecies of Panthera leo. Although he never ...more
Gavin
This is a shame. What starts as a fascinating account of the lions of Tsavo and their predilection for man eating quickly becomes the wandering, directionless travelogue of a tourist.

The first few chapters are full of compelling stories about the man eaters, most notably the famed pair that plagued the railroad construction and were finally killed by Patterson and later stuffed and displayed in the Field Museum. These early chapters are packed full of anecdotal evidence that these maneless man
Dean Hamilton
They were called The Ghost and The Darkness, two adult male African lions, that haunted the scrub brush of the Tsavo River at the turn of the century.

In 1898, they killed more than 135 Indian and African railway workers, laboring to throw a bridge across the Tsavo River, before Lt. Col. John Patterson, in an epic and harrowing nine-month struggle, hunted the lions down and killed them.

Today the lion's are stuffed and displayed in the Field Museum in Chicago, but the question of what spawned the
Patricia
I first heard of Phil Caputo when I watched an interview with him on authorsroad.com (2 Pacifica people, traveling around in their RV, interviewing authors along the way). I liked him and what he had to say so much that I started looking for his books, and this one is the first I've read. It is, I must say, a very good follow-up to The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival, even though it is very different. In this one, the author tells of his travels to Tsavo Nat'l Park in Kenya, and th ...more
Mike Winterrowd
Caputo is of course a great writer. In this book he combines multiple storylines, viewpoints and personal experiences into a really meaningful examination of the myth and reality of the Tsavo lions, both in the modern day and in their original context.

I can't say enough good things about the read. You won't want to put it down, and if you have a serious interest in the morphology and reality of Patterson's lions, then you'll go back to it again and again.

If you're like me and the lions at Field
Bruce
I bought this book in the gift shop of the Animal Kingdom Lodge at Disney. One because it fit with the whole Animal Kingdom theme, and because it was written by Philip Caputo one of my favorite authors. Having read A Rumor of War many many moons ago and loving it very much I thought that this would be an excellent choice of book. I was not disappointed. A cross between myth and science this was a quick read in the exploration of why lions are man eaters. If you loved the film The Ghost and Darkn ...more
Barbara
Offers a contemporary perspective on the famous episodes of man-eating by lions in the Tsavo region of Kenya. Scientific observation has shed some light on the conditions that may have led to man-eating in the past, but it does not definitively answer all questions. As game populations across Africa increasingly come under pressure from restricted ranges, true understanding of these past incidents may become ever more elusive. The book is engaging and a real page turner, while convying a lot of ...more
Beka
An interesting look at the history of lions in Tsavo.
Rajiv
Great retelling of the original account of the "Maneaters of Tsavo" by Kenneth Anderson. I read this book after seeing 'The Ghost and the Darkness" and enjoyed it. As always what lingers is the intelligence of these animals and what it must have been like to be at their receiving end while building the Mombasa railway line.
Lauren
Picked this one up at the Field Museum in Chicago after seeing the man-eating African lions on display. If you're into science, it's a good book for you, though I would recommend reading it as a companion text for the Val Kilmer/Michael Dougles movie "The Ghost and The Darkness."
Art
A look into man eating lions, going from the killing of a man eater in the early 1990s to the Ghost and the Darkness themselves. Interesting look at the causes and effects of what brought on the attacks and part Afirican travel book as the author travels to Tsavo himself.
Allison
Very nice scientific review and follow-up of the man-eating lions of Tsavo. Of course, cannot compare to that volume for terror and a thrilling tale, but a nice addition to the scientific understanding of why these lions might behave in some of the ways that they do.
Paul Ison
tracking the unmaned lions of east africa and determimining why they tend to be man-eating compared to their fully-maned cousins on the Serengheti. Interesting but somehow not that fulfilling, as the researchers ultimately never really have much contact with the lions.
Tom Mueller
Speculation that the maneless man-eaters of Tsavo are a sub-species of the Serengiti lion. 250-500 lbs heavier and up to a foot taller, these lions have been known to develop a taste - as well as specialized hunting techniques - for humans.
Edward Sullivan
An interesting, sometimes gripping, mix of travelogue, science, history, and mystery in which Caputo attempts to separate reality from myth as he investigates stories of maneless, man-eating lions in East Africa.
Earthwatchaddict
I participated in an Earthwatch project supporting the research involving the lions of Tsavo. Bruce Patterson, author of The Lions of Tsavo, led the project. His book is better.
John Boettcher
The real life story that the movie "The Ghost and The Darkness" was based upon. The real lions are on display at the Field's Museum in Chicago and are a great time to go see.
Matt
Not one of Caputo's best books. The retelling of another book written nearly a hundred years ago was the most interesting part.
John
I learned some history of African lions and their plight, and current attempts to preserve their way of life.
Rowena
A fine recount of the two lions that terrorized railroad workmen in 1890's Kenya.
Lois
So far I really like this book. Interesting.
A.
Jan 14, 2010 A. marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
At library
Molly Sparber
Molly Sparber marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
  • The Man-Eaters of Tsavo
  • The Wilderness Family: At Home with Africa's Wildlife
  • The Beast in the Garden: The True Story of a Predator's Deadly Return to Suburban America
  • Soul of a Lion: One Woman's Quest to Rescue Africa's Wildlife Refugees
  • The Medici Giraffe and Other Tales of Exotic Animals and Power
  • The Eye of the Elephant: An Epic Adventure in the African Wilderness
  • Elephant Memories: Thirteen Years in the Life of an Elephant Family
  • 100 Heartbeats: A Journey to Meet Our Planet's Endangered Animals and the Heroes Working to Save Them
  • Dark Banquet: Blood and the Curious Lives of Blood-Feeding Creatures
  • Poseidon's Steed: The Story of Seahorses, from Myth to Reality
  • The Great Penguin Rescue: 40,000 Penguins, a Devastating Oil Spill, and the Inspiring Story of the World's Largest Animal Rescue
  • The Rhino with Glue-On Shoes: And Other Surprising True Stories of Zoo Vets and their Patients
  • Babylon's Ark: The Incredible Wartime Rescue of the Baghdad Zoo
  • How to Build a Dinosaur: Extinction Doesn't Have to Be Forever
  • Dangerous Beauty - Life and Death in Africa: True Stories From a Safari Guide
  • Listening to Whales: What the Orcas Have Taught Us
  • Tales of an African Vet
  • A Fish Caught in Time: The Search for the Coelacanth
American author and journalist. Latest book is the travel memoir THE LONGEST ROAD. Best-known for A Rumor of War , a best-selling memoir of his experiences during the Vietnam War.
More about Philip Caputo...
A Rumor Of War Acts of Faith The Longest Road: Overland in Search of America, from Key West to the Arctic Ocean Crossers The Voyage

“I don't care if your the President of the United States, the Queen of England, the inventor of the microchip, a bankable movie star, or an ordinary Joe or Jill, you're no paragon in my book, but the same as a zebra or gazelle - a source of protein. In fact, I'd rather hunt you, because you're slow and feeble.” 0 likes