Start by marking “Cuckoo In The Nest” as Want to Read:
Cuckoo In The Nest

Cuckoo In The Nest (Hollis Family #1)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  382 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Ralph's desire to become an actor runs counter to his father's plans for his future.
Published 1994 by Methuen Children's

To ask other readers questions about Cuckoo In The Nest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cuckoo In The Nest

Trish at Between My Lines
This review was originally posted on [Between My Lines]A Cuckoo in the Nest by Michelle Magoriantells the story of a family in post war 1940s England. Ralph's family is full of tension, of family members who no longer know or understand each other and the generation gap has never seemed greater.

First line of A Cuckoo's Nest by Michelle Magorian:
'No suicides this week,' Aunt Win announced, laying the newspaper flat on the kitchen table.

My Thoughts on A Cuckoo's Nest by Michelle Magorian:
This bo
Daniel Tutatchikov
I don't know. On the one hand - this topic has been done to death. On the other hand, this book is charming enough to get away with it.

You follow this caricature of a person that longs to be in the theater, performing but keeps stumbling onto road blocks past which he has to find a way. Living in a poor family with an abusive father and a gullible mother, this books still manages to feel convoluted and contains aspects that are just ... meaningless. That don't add anything of value, but you stil
Rachel
Dec 05, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
When I read this at fourteen I couldn't put it down; I was completely enthralled. Re-reading the book over a decade later and it's not the riveting read I remember, but there's certainly enough there to keep it interesting. Whilst the main plot of the novel is centered upon Ralph's aspirations for the theatre, there are a myriad of sub plots exploring family relationships, politics within the workplace, and the constraints associated with class.

Far from being a novel revolving around one lead p
Terri
Mar 25, 2013 Terri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as "Goodnight, Mr. Tom", but still enjoyable. The author must have been really interested in the theatre because 3 of her books so far have had the theatre playing a big part in the main character's make-up. The research, though and the time of her books' settings really make the books, and her characters are believeable, and you want to know them.
Mrs Mac McKenzie
I loved this book and was fortunate to be able to finish it in two sittings. It reminded me a little of Billy Elliot, but the passion was acting not dancing. It was interesting how the characters changed through the story, I enjoyed Goodnight Mr Tom by Magorian, and she didn't let me down in this book either.
Malcolm
A story not just about the theatre and class division - but about, as a powerful sub-theme, the struggles of a man who has lived through the second world war and come home to find that life has changed in ways that he finds difficult to cope with.
Meghan
Jan 04, 2013 Meghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoyed this book, and it was especially germane to me as I just finished performing in a play (the first I've been involved in since a small production in grade 8). Magorian is very apt at creating likeable, multi-dimensional characters.
Ria
Jul 14, 2008 Ria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ria by: Sister, Peta.
A really brilliant book telling of life just after the war and of the dedication of the character to follow his calling in life by pursuing a career in theatre in spite of opposition by family and society.
Well worth reading.
Aaditee
Nov 05, 2012 Aaditee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I enjoyed reading this book. It started off a bit slow, but then you really get into the story!
Michelle Magorian's style is also very likable and she writes in a way that appeals to younger readers.
Joni
Jul 31, 2008 Joni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Joni by: my mum! haha
Just wow. I've never read a book more honest, about theatre and how much hard work it is - not only being there, but getting there, and what people will think of you if you do. Just fab.
Abigail Williams
I FINISHED IT! I have to admit it was better than I thought - yet I still don't understand the reason for the title completely. Oh well.
Abra
Feb 08, 2016 Abra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read 11/19/14; re-read again 2/17/15; re-read again 2/7/16
Roz Radmore
Roz Radmore rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Gayle Noble
Gayle Noble marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Kelly Hall
Kelly Hall rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Lizochka
Lizochka rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
Hannah Williams
Hannah Williams rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2016
dianadowns
dianadowns rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
Jan Norton
Jan Norton marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Jessica Hansen
Jessica Hansen marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Heleen
Heleen marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Ragnhild
Ragnhild marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Matilda W
Matilda W rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Chenoa Smeds
Chenoa Smeds marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Kirsten Luterman
Kirsten Luterman rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Eve
Eve marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
  • The Wages Of Guilt: Memories Of War In Germany And Japan
  • I Am a Taxi
  • فاتن
  • Summerhills
British children's author Michelle Magorian - author of the celebrated Goodnight, Mr. Tom (1981), which won The Guardian Children's Fiction Prize - was born in Southsea, Portsmouth, in 1947. She trained to be an actress, studying at the Rose Bruford College of Speech and Drama, and at Marcel Marceau's L'école Internationale de Mime in Paris. While pursuing an acting career, Magorian became interes ...more
More about Michelle Magorian...

Hollis Family (4 books)