End Times Fiction: A Biblical Consideration of the Left Behind Theology

End Times Fiction: A Biblical Consideration of the Left Behind Theology

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Tim LaHaye contends that his bestselling Left Behind series (with Jerry Jenkins) is ""the first fictional portrayal of prophetic events that are true to the literal interpretation of Bible prophecy." " Gary DeMar takes issue with this bold claim, contending that the theological premise the series is based upon is only one interpretation of the book of Revelation.

DeMar exam...more
Published November 6th 2001 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

Paul
When you read the Left behind novels, is it purely for fun? If so, no need to continue reading . . .

Now, do you read it for all the good theology in it? If so, get this book.

Since I was harsh on DeMar's apologetic book Thinking Straight in a Crooked World, I will make amends with this review.

This book is specifically a critique of the fantasy peddled as fact in the Left Behind novels.

Now, DeMar is a preterist and a postmillennialist. Whether those views are correct is up for serious and honest d...more
David Eagen
Before this book I knew very little of preterism. It has opened my eyes to a different approach to various scriptures that in many ways makes more sense that the futurist views I had before.

The timing of the events in Daniel 9 are particularly intriguing. The case Mr. DeMar lays out for the 490 years of Daniel's seventy heptads seems more logical that other explanations I have heard.

While I am not yet fully convinced that all the passages Mr. DeMar discusses have already been fulfilled I will...more
Brenda
I still don't have a rock-solid position on eschatology, but this was a clear and concise reality check for those looking for the Antichrist behind every corner. :)
Bill
A useful theological critique of end-times fiction such as the Left Behind series, and the fiction of most end-times teaching.
Don Pollard
Finally, a well thought out approach to the book of Revelation and end-times prophecy
Lisa
Excellent and clearly put forth.
Michael
This is a great book which dispels much of the fiction that surrounds eschatological teachings.
Katherine M. Williams
Katherine M. Williams marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Alissa Dawn
Alissa Dawn marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Beau2
Beau2 marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
John Biglin
John Biglin marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Olan Botial
Olan Botial marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2013
Vinnie Santini
Vinnie Santini marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
Rosa
Rosa marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2013
David
David is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2013
David
David marked it as to-read
May 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Gary is a graduate of Western Michigan University (1973) and earned his M.Div. at Reformed Theological Seminary in 1979. In 2007, he earned his Ph.D. in Christian Intellectual History from Whitefield Theological Seminary. Author of countless essays, news articles, and more than 27 book titles, he also hosts The Gary DeMar Show, and History Unwrapped—both broadcasted and podcasted. Gary has lived i...more
More about Gary DeMar...
Last Days Madness: Obsession of the Modern Church God and Government - Vol. 1: A Biblical and Historical Study God and Government - Vol. 2: Issues in Biblical Perspective God and Government - Vol. 3: The Restoration of the Republic America's Christian History: The Untold Story