Start by marking “When Heaven Weeps (Martyr's Song, #2)” as Want to Read:
When Heaven Weeps (Martyr's Song, #2)

When Heaven Weeps (Martyr's Song #2)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  3,011 ratings  ·  95 reviews
A thriller unlike any you have ever read. A love strong enough to bring a tremor to your bones. A sacrifice powerful enough to make heaven weep.

At the close of World War II, a shell-shocked solider, Jan Jovic, was forced to inflict a game of life and death on a peaceful Bosnian community. In a few short hours, this young man was confronted by more love--and hate--than most
Published August 30th 2005 by WestBow Press (first published May 28th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about When Heaven Weeps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Heaven Weeps

Black by Ted DekkerRed by Ted DekkerWhite by Ted DekkerThr3e by Ted DekkerGreen by Ted Dekker
Ted Dekker Books
10th out of 50 books — 113 voters
Tagged by Joseph M. ChironCompulsion- A Short Story by J.J.   JohnsonThe Master's Plan by Stephany TullisThr3e by Ted DekkerHouse by Frank E. Peretti
Edgy Christian Book List
44th out of 297 books — 322 voters

More lists with this book...

S.n. Blackmon
Quite possibly Dekker's best work. This book painted an incredibly beautiful and powerful picture of Christ's love and redemptive power.
Jessica Moniz
Honestly I feel this book was one of the most intense love stories I've ever read! I could not put this book down, I had to know what was happening. Nadia's story (and the priest's) broke my heart and had me in tears. I was very frustrated with Helen throughout the book, but that's what I love about DekKer, he keeps his characters real, and I'm sure that someone in Helen's situation would have behaved the same way.
I would recommend this book to everyone looking for a great love story, and not j
Eric Wright
the story of a terrible atrocity in a small town in Bosnia against an Anglican priest, the women in the village and a girl…Cruel Serb para military group terrorizes the village, kills the priest and the girl after mocking them with carrying crosses. Is the love for Christ they have sufficient to enable them to love the devilish leader and die for Christ? Yes in terms of the girl and priest…women too show amazing courage. One soldier speaks out to stop the brutality…he is imprisoned after WW II b ...more
Jenni Noordhoek
Aug 12, 2011 Jenni Noordhoek rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: older teens/adults,
Shelves: historical
To enjoy this book, you must have an understanding of the story of Hosea, and hopefully a cursory understanding of the different interpretations of the Song of Solomon.

Brilliant book, about the love of God for each and every (worthless) human being on this earth. Stunning story, full of heartwrenching contradictions.

My only two complaints were that Karen really didn't have anything to do with the story except to provide tension... and yes, the violence is up there. But as Janjic says in the bo
Dianna
May 23, 2013 Dianna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This book took me on an emotional roller coaster! I loved parts of it and was horrified by others.
Jan Jovic is an unwilling participant in a game of life and death in a quiet Bosnian village in WWII. He witnesses intense love and hate which stays with him and changes his heart. Years later he writes a book about his experiences which ends up a best seller. In America he gains riches, with the help of his publicist, Karen, who becomes his fiance'. That is until he meets Helen, a young, beautiful
Patty
I read "The Martyrs Song" before this and I was sorry I did. I had to skip about 40 pages to get past what I had read in the first book. The basis for this story was a nice idea but it got lost in the over-the-top mushiness of the love story. Rather than being a beautiful example of Gods love, it came across as unbelievable and like someone's fantasy of how love could/should be. The writing was good and some parts of the story draw you in, but I just wasn't that impressed.
Adrienna
Ivena reverts to her past, as she reads through the memories of World War 2, and experiences the lost of her child Nadia for the sake of laying down your life for another as Jesus has laid down his life for many. A militant solider comes and terrorizes Father Michael and his congregation, to carry the stone crosses on their backs, as if they are picking up their cross and following Christ. The illustration to see it come to life with these converts. It can appear as an atheist challenging Christ ...more
Lou
I have to confess that at first I didn't feel very attracted to this book, but as I was reading, reading completely caught me and it took my breath until the last page. It is a very moving story that shows God's love for humanity. This story leaves you thinking and meditating on what true love is from God's perspective.
Megan
This is one of my favorite books of all time.
Bethany
Jan Jovic is a world famous author who seems to have the perfect life. He has money, clothes, a large house and a nice car. His life is turned upside down when he rescues a young drug addict named Helen. She was running from her drug dealer/'lover' and the only way she escaped is through Jan's help. When he hides her,though, things go awry. The man who is looking for Helen is very wealthy and secretely has control over most of the people, including the police force. He will stop at nothing to ge ...more
Emily
I guess I had high hopes after The Martyr's Song, which I really enjoyed. This wasn't in the same league. I gave up halfway through the story, which I found contrived and languishing.

The dialogue was painful - I felt embarrassed for the characters. They seemed insipid and forced, uncomfortable with themselves and with each other. The underlying message of Christ and His reckless pursuit of us, mirrored in Hosea, just didn't play out well in Suburban Atlanta in the '60s. And Ivena's encouragemen
Anna
Christian idealism does not work well in fictional literature.

What the hell is wrong with Ted Dekker? How can he expect a wide audience to follow this book without reservations? This book could have been half its length, too. Dekker likes hearing the sound of his own voice, apparently. Some scenes went on far too long.

First of all, comparing the death of Christ and his love for humanity with a single man's love for a single woman is NOT the same thing. Dying literally and dying metaphorically ar
Chuck
A moving story of dying to live. Set in end of WW2 Bosnia and in the underbelly of American drugs, this modern day Hosea/Gomer portrays the power of love willing to die to self so others might live. Good writing. Mostly believable characters. Interesting twists.

A little slow in places and somewhat predictable in others. Still worth the investment if you're willing to let it challenge the depth of your willingness to love someone deeply in spite of their sin and give them to God.
Jacqueline Schroeder
Incredibly Beautiful and Powerful story of Christs redemptive love for us....Very touching, I remember shedding tears numerous times while really feeling Gods love for people, who even though they have hatred in their hearts for others, The Lord God brings them to their knees..Makes the fact that "every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord ring ever true~Top 100 Book
Julia
Oh my goodness, wow, amazing... I cannot get over this story so easily. There is so much to think about and dwell on that I don't know how long I will keep this book in mind. Maybe a lifetime, that is how touching this story is, and how amazingly true in everyone's life. I wonder why it has taken me so long to get through Ted Dekker books and I believe that the timing of when I read them is right for the state and willingness my heart and soul are in at the time. I don't know if that makes sense ...more
J.L. Rallios
This book is a hard one for me to review. I found it very tough to read, though it was well written and had a powerful message. Dekker describes addiction very well, I thought. (I work with a lot of recovering and not-so recovering addicts.) The story was just so very heavy, but that's not a criticism. Some stories are just that way. My criticism about it is that it is a little too long and melodramatic. Still, I'm glad to have read it. Very memorable as it paints a picture of Christ's love for ...more
Dorothy Clark
I found this book hard to believe regarding the way the characters behaved. It was an indictment against the institutional church, which was totally believable. He points out that being a Christian is different from being a follower of Jesus.
Sergio Caballero
Es un buen libro, te conecta con el personaje principal y sientes su sufrimiento, en fin lo que un libro tiene que hacer, de repente siento que entra en un bache, pero en fin sabe salir adecuadamente.
Jessi
So far this is my #1 favorite book by Dekker. I've recommended this to all of my friends. What a passionate love story to represent God's unconditional love for us!!
Michelle Lee
This whole series is excellent. It's one of my all time favorites. There's such beauty if love overcoming evil. That's all I'll say. No spoilers here.
Brenda
Loved the beginning story. I got lost in the end. Lost my attention. Too much on Glenn Lutz. Made him too disgusting, which he probably was but it gross me out. The true love description is pretty much on point.
Jerry
Though the story and writing were both great, parts of this book were confusing, and it also tended to be overly long. It was good, but not Mr. Dekker's best.
Jess Hanna
When Heaven Weeps is a powerful and unexpected portrayal of grace. I was personally impacted by the portrayal of repeated failure and am glad that I am not God. A lot of people (myself included) would be in a world of hurt if I was put in charge.

The story really drove home the point that we fail every day and God loves us anyway. Are there consequences for making bad decisions? Of course. And God loves us the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

The visions of heaven were exhilarating and soberi
Lorie Gizinski
My favorite Dekker work so far.
Brenda
This should really be the second book in the series after "Martyr's Song. It continues Jan's story after he is released from prison for disobeying orders and he moves to America. He falls in love with heel, who has a hard time letting go of her ugly past and drags him through hell because of it. I enjoyed this book, but not nearly as much as the other two from the series that I have already read. It teaches a good message, but in a way that most people could never accomplish.
Angie
A very intense modern day story of unconditional love, with a theme set post war. A Hosea-like story. Highly recommend it!
Denisse
3.5 I read Ted Dekker because I know he will make me feel peace...a spiritual peace, and that's what I foundin this book, also I read him for the thriller, and well this one doesn't have it that much.
But overall the book was great if you don't mind the religious plot.

De alguna forma, los personajes de Dekker se te meten en la cabeza y no puedes sacártelos! Ese es su punto mas fuerte. Sus personajes.
Ijeoma Ekpenuma
One of my favorite books. Couldn't stop reading it. Was up for about 3 nights reading this novel. Taught me great things about love. God's kind of love and how to show it to people and friends who we think don't deserve it. Funny enough, weeks later after the read, I was faced with a situation where I had to apply the knowledge gained from the book and love all regardless of what mistake they've made in the past. Awesome!
Okay, in what order did you read this books? 3 14 Jan 12, 2012 12:39PM
  • To Kill With Reason
  • Eyes of Elisha (Chelsea Adams Series, #1)
  • Dominion (Ollie Chandler #2)
  • Blood of Heaven (Fire of Heaven, #1)
  • Life Support (Alexi Lindale, #1)
  • Shadow Over Kiriath (Legends of the Guardian-King, #3)
  • Demon: A Memoir
  • Comes a Horseman
  • Never Let You Go
  • Riven
  • Tilly
  • Field of Blood (Jerusalem's Undead Trilogy #1)
  • Waking Lazarus
  • The Ishbane Conspiracy
Ted Dekker is known for novels that combine adrenaline-laced stories with unexpected plot twists, unforgettable characters, and incredible confrontations between good and evil. Ted lives in Austin with his wife LeeAnn and their four children.
More about Ted Dekker...

Martyr's Song (3 books)
  • Heaven's Wager (Martyr's Song, #1)
  • Thunder of Heaven (Martyr's Song, #3)
Thr3e Black: The Birth of Evil (The Circle, #1) White: The Great Pursuit (The Circle, #3) Red: The Heroic Rescue (The Circle, #2) Green: The Beginning and the End (The Circle, #0)

“What is pure Bill? Or excellent or admirable? The death of a million people in a flood? God evidently through so. He is incapable of acts that are not admirable, and it is He who brought about the Flood. How about the slaying of children in Jericho? There are a few Bible stories that are not as terrible as they are happy. We just prefer to leave out the terrible part, but that only makes the good anemic.” 22 likes
“Suffering is an oxymoron. There is unfathomable peace and satisfaction in suffering for Christ. It is as though you have searched endlessly for your purpose in life and now found it in the most unexpected place: In the death of your flesh. It is certainly a moment worth of laughter and dance. And in the end it is not suffering at all. The apostle Paul recommended that we find joy in it. Was he mad?” 18 likes