Start by marking “Belonging” as Want to Read:
Belonging

Belonging

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  550 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Today Joanna has the life she'd always dreamed of...

Joanna Jones, the successful host of Fabulous Homes, a New York based TV show, seems to have it all. Blessed with great looks, she has a successful lover and a job that gives her fame and money, while allowing her to indulge her passion for beautiful homes.

Tomorrow she might lose it all...

Suddenly and shockingly, Joanna w
Published October 15th 1996 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published July 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Belonging, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Belonging

Romeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareLolita by Vladimir NabokovThe Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel HawthorneBrokeback Mountain by Annie ProulxThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Illicit Love
300th out of 360 books — 297 voters
Still Alice by Lisa GenovaLand's End by Michael CunninghamThe Widow's War by Sally Cabot GunningCape Cod and the Islands Reflections by Christopher SeufertCroaked by Carol Verburg
Cape Cod Books
32nd out of 61 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Mary
Oct 26, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Paperback Swap
Joanna Jones seems to have it all. As the successful host of a New York based television show - Fabulous Homes - Joanna is blessed with great looks. She has a wonderful lover and a job that gives her money and fame, while allowing her to indulge in her passion for beautiful homes. Today, Joanna has the life she's always dreamed of, tomorrow she just might lose it all...

Suddenly and shockingly, Joanna will discover what she doesn't have: a committed relationship she can depend on. Now she faces a
Jenn Kaplan
Jun 24, 2015 Jenn Kaplan rated it did not like it
I can't do it. I can't get through it. The repeating of phrases within one to two paragraphs. The ridiculousness of the plot. Just not good.
Theresa Walker
A bit disjointed at times...

The main story line about a successful woman being in love/lust with a selfish man, becoming pregnant, being rejected by the same selfish man, and then finding love with someone else made sense. Good, relatable characters. I felt, however, that the villain part of the story could've been a little better developed, or just left out. The reader gets that the selfish man is villain #1, but a buried treasure and the carpenter (villain #2) with an ulterior motive are a sep
Linda
Jun 30, 2010 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Recommended to Linda by: Jacki Lane (TUBC)
Emily Higgins
Joanna Jones is the host of a succesful television show called Fabulous Homes. When she discovers that she is pregnant for the first time at nearly 40, she makes plans to tell her married lover, certain that he would want to make a life with her. When all of her plans fall apart, Joanna moves to Nantuckrt, buys a house and then settles in to wait for the birth of her babies. This is a warm novel that explores the ways that home can mean many different things to different people.
Judy Churchill
Jul 16, 2015 Judy Churchill rated it liked it
What would it take for you to be totally happy? This twenty year old novel has been converted to ebooks, and except for lack of current technology deals with the same subject matter and universal question. The plot is somewhat simplistic but the characters are endearing and lead the reader to continue reading.
Aug 12, 2014 Laura rated it it was ok
This is my first Nancy Thayer book. Not my favorite kind of writing. Beach book for sure and this one was a whopping 684 pages (large print). I will try another one of her books to see how that goes. I don't mean to be a snob, but I love reading and do not always have the luxury of time to read so when I do read a book I like a certain quality. This just was too dumb
patricia cleary
Out of the head and into the heart

An excellent character study which included the good self and some of the not so good. I enjoyed the strength of the career woman and her love for her work; more than that I enjoyed her newly found love for home and very interesting new family!
Kmbr
Jan 14, 2015 Kmbr rated it liked it
Merja Pohjola
Jun 24, 2014 Merja Pohjola rated it it was ok
Guess - even though I enjoy chick lit till everything starts to fall to place - I am getting finally bored with books where everything turns out great for everyone. Not life. Fairy tales for adults and it is starting to get to me...;(
Carol Nummy
Aug 30, 2015 Carol Nummy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overflowing with love, turmoil,disappointment.

Absolutely could not put this down, loving most of the characters, hating a couple of them, mourning a couple and I .really wanted wolf and the cat to survive
Susie Molle
A fun summer read

Good story...great characters...great book for people who crave drama....I liked the book but I didn't think it was one of Nancy Thayers best. There are other books that she's written that are way better.
Mary Q
Mar 30, 2015 Mary Q rated it it was ok
I like this author and this book was good enough to finish. it was a little simplistic and felt a tad dumbed down as you were clobbered with some of the themes,
Shira Reiss
Jul 14, 2014 Shira Reiss rated it liked it
This is a book for middle school to high school age girls who like romantic stories. It takes place from the 1880-90's in Idaho. It is recommended for this age group
Debbie
May 29, 2014 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. Nancy Thayer weaves a good tale and I enjoy the Nantucket setting in many of the books that I read. This story has many highs and lows and It is a great summer read.
Amy S
Jun 28, 2014 Amy S rated it it was amazing
This book was wonderful., give it at least two chapters to realize you want to settle in for a beautiful read.
Donna
Jun 29, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing
Loved it.
Joni
Jul 31, 2011 Joni rated it it was amazing
I loved this story. Joanna was a self sufficient career woman who learned that there is more to life. Some of the characters where definitely cads but this book was about discovery & those cads were used effectively. The story had learning leasons as to sacrifice, greed, forgiveness, love: of self, of others, to the wrong person, to right one.
Christine
Feb 24, 2010 Christine rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody who loves a good story set on Nantucket
Recommended to Christine by: I check amazon.com once a year for Nancy Thayer's new books
Very good novel about a career woman who used to work at the media, gets pregnant by her married lover and ends up moving to Nantucket buying an old house.
The only annoying character in the book is the young woman who takes care of her.
Nevertheless 6 stars for the plot and the description of the island.
Dianne
May 13, 2014 Dianne rated it it was amazing
I loved this a little long at end but enjoyed this one.
Brandy
Feb 13, 2012 Brandy rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This was the first book I've read by her. I didn't like it so much at the beginning but it got much better. It always takes awhile to get used to a new style of writing. The fire was suprising and what happnened was very unexpected. Overall a good book.
Christa
Jan 25, 2015 Christa rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011-challenge
eh... I wasn't overly thrilled with this book at all. I can't figure out what rubbed me the wrong way though. some of the characters were way over the top and the plot had a lot of ridiculous parts to it, but I still finished the book.
Lea Ludwig
Sep 09, 2013 Lea Ludwig rated it it was ok
This book started out really good and was the perfect beach read for OBX. But about three quarters of the way through, I didn't like it any more. The story line turned very unrealistic.
Nannette
Jul 11, 2012 Nannette rated it really liked it
After my family started vacationing in Nantucket I read this book, I've often wondered what it would be like to live on the island all year, especially by myself.
Stacy
Jun 22, 2015 Stacy rated it liked it
Kerrie Layton
Aug 09, 2014 Kerrie Layton rated it really liked it
this is a good read about, love, friendship, family and living life not just going through it day by day. it is a feel good read.
Dorene
Aug 26, 2011 Dorene rated it liked it
GREAT beach read. Characters come to life. Scenery is clearly and poetically described. Totally worth the time.
Monica
Feb 11, 2008 Monica rated it really liked it
quite a feel-good book that I'm keeping on my shelf indefinitely for future pick-me-ups.
Marlene
Mar 01, 2012 Marlene rated it liked it
Easy read, interesting story. Will be looking for more books my this author.
Suzanne
Jul 05, 2012 Suzanne rated it really liked it
I've read a lot of her books and always enjoy them.
  • Behind Closed Doors
  • The Art of Seeing
  • The Education of Mrs. Bemis: A Novel
  • Bed & Breakfast
  • A Very Private Woman: The Life and Unsolved Murder of Presidential Mistress Mary Meyer
  • Nantucket
  • Back in the Game
  • So Happy Together
  • Looking for Peyton Place
  • The Best of Friends
Nancy Thayer has a B.A. and M.A. in English literature from the University of Missouri at Kansas City. Before settling down to write and have children she taught English at various colleges and traveled, living in Paris, Amsterdam and Helsinki. In 1981 she was a Fellow at the Breadloaf Writers Conference. She has lived on Nantucket Island year round for twenty-five years with her husband Charley W ...more
More about Nancy Thayer...