Start by marking “Dropped from Heaven: Stories” as Want to Read:
Dropped from Heaven: Stories

Dropped from Heaven: Stories

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A marvelous fiction debut–a collection of richly told, deeply moving stories about everyday life within a community of Indian Jews as its ancient culture confronts the modern world.

In the mythical village of Jwalanagar, the Jewish traditions of the Bene Israel have survived for more than two thousand years, but the twentieth century brings with it modernity and cataclysmic
Published March 27th 2007 by Schocken

To ask other readers questions about Dropped from Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dropped from Heaven

Janet
I liked this unusual book a lot! Short stories about the Bene Israel sect of Jews in INDIA! Totally easy to read, interesting stories about people, families, relationships that are just like us and our Jewish relatives. I read this for a book group and am looking forward to the discussion. The whole thought of Indian Jews is fascinating!
The only reason it isn't five stars is because of the writing. Most of the time it's very realistic, and the whole point of the stories is the moral. However, I was pulled out of my enjoyment of the book because in one story, when a girl is telling her mother someone else told her how to deal with her period, she says, "Not such a child, Mother, and you did not keep me innocent...Somebody else has done your work for you." It sounded like an old man speaking, not a little girl. A solid collection ...more
Judith
Andrea Rapp
Very entertaining stories about the community of Jews in India over time, to contemporary Indian-born Jews who live in Israel.
Joanna
These interconnected short stories read like fables. Each was a bit too short for my taste, and not closely woven together enough to make the kind of tapestry that I like. However, as a group they do give a sense of the lives of a slice of subculture that I do find quite intriguing.
Robyn
Oct 25, 2007 Robyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Jewish history
A beautiful collection of short stories about the small but very religious Jewish population scattered around India. The stories are connected in small ways and weave a lovely story of the history of the Jewish people in subcontinent.
Katie M.
I didn't think this was a particularly good book but I loved that it was about the Bene Israel community (India's deep-rooted traditional Jewish community), which you pretty much never come across in fiction. Go Sophie Judah.
Yaeer
Some of the stories are spellbounding but some are not. SOme I totally loved but some were ok. But the writing is clear and if even sometimes the voice falters a bit, I like the author's voice.
Leah
This collection of stories really takes you to a different time and place.
Judah is an incredible storyteller, and she has a way with words and themes.
Jeanne
An engaging collection of short stories, each with their own moral. I particularly like the one about the children who find their grandmother's diary.
Tsipi
Excellent book! This collection of short stories about Bene Israel Jews in India is fiction yet captures the flavor of the time and place.
Diane
Interesting material not fully developed, either as characters or the life of the Bene Israel community in India.
Lauren
Interesting but workmanlike.
peter
peter marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Fareshta Jan
Fareshta Jan marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
C
C marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Yossi Gremillion
Yossi Gremillion is currently reading it
Feb 07, 2014
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2013
Niranjanah
Niranjanah marked it as to-read
May 04, 2013
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2013
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2013