Start by marking “The Pop, Rock and Soul Reader: Histories and Debates” as Want to Read:
The Pop, Rock and Soul Reader: Histories and Debates

The Pop, Rock and Soul Reader: Histories and Debates

The Pop, Rock, and Soul Reader: Histories and Debates, Second Edition, traces the evolution of diverse streams of American popular music from the 1920s to the present. In this richly textured anthology, well-known scholar David Brackett brings together more than 100 readings from a wide range of sources and by writers who have played an integral part in the development of ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 606 pages
Published November 1st 2008 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published November 4th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Pop, Rock and Soul Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pop, Rock and Soul Reader

Kerry
Oct 24, 2011 Kerry rated it liked it
Shelves: my-books
Now, it surprises no one that I enjoy reading textbooks. I mean I'll read nearly anything. Including how many bathroom stalls have my number etched in it (not nearly enough, I assure you).

So snatchurally a book on music history and it's impact on society and culture, I surely can't resist. It's as addicting as Ore Ida Tater Tots with Heinz Jalapeno ketchup (which yes, DOES exist and I expect a kick-back from making the sales of those two skyrocket in my heavily read book reviews).

Onwards!

Now I f
Catherine Woodman
Mar 22, 2016 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it
I have been reading books that my youngest has to read for college out loud to him. We have just finished the reading for a study of rock and roll in American culture that has been really fascinating, even if the reading for it hasn't always been. This book is very densely written, but it was by far the best at conveying the popular culture of the time. The book consists of interviews and articles written about key performers and overarching trends in rock and roll over the years, starting with ...more
Hilary
Sep 17, 2009 Hilary rated it liked it
This book is comprised of a bunch of primary sources, such as reviews, bios, and newspaper/magazine articles, in addition to a few secondary essays. While the information contained in the book is very good and usually interestingly written, the chapters seemed to be arranged in a strange way, and I couldn't quite understand the progression and evolution of pop music from the way this book was structured. The primary sources, though, are excellent, and a joy to read.
Amber
I love this book. Short articles about musical genres from the period the music rose to popularity or significance. I'm working this slowly, skipping around according to my interests, sort of like one might do with a collection of short stories.
Robert Shadel
Apr 03, 2016 Robert Shadel rated it it was amazing
an excellent review of the development of pop through all the way from minstrely, jazz, blues, r&b, gospel and earlier pop
Kat
Jan 03, 2013 Kat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this for my 1960's history and music honors class at Coverse. Fun times but I don't remember much of it.
Arielle Demchuk
Arielle Demchuk rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Lumonash
Lumonash rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2007
Kurt
Kurt rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2014
Felden
Felden rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2012
Fred
Fred rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2009
Eva Garabedian
Eva Garabedian rated it liked it
May 28, 2014
Erica
Erica rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2013
Justine
Justine rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2012
Afifa Hamilton
Afifa Hamilton rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Cassandra
Cassandra rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2012
Ashley Strobel
Ashley Strobel rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2010
Book Bites
Book Bites rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2011
Synopthis!
Synopthis! rated it liked it
May 15, 2015
Rachael
Rachael rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2013
Logan Robert
Logan Robert rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2015
Jody Behre
Jody Behre rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2015
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2012
Gray
Gray rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2013
Jake Crowe
Jake Crowe rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2014
SKWKearse
SKWKearse rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2017
Kapitein
Kapitein rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2015
Andrew Fuerro
Andrew Fuerro rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2016