Start by marking “Great Books for High School Kids: A Teachers' Guide to Books That Can Change Teens' Lives” as Want to Read:

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Teachers Rick Ayers and Amy Crawford always wanted to find a guide to the vast world of great books for teenagers-one that didn't talk down or moralize. When they couldn't find one, they set out to create it.

An early prototype offered at Cody's Bookstore in Berkeley, California, was an instant success. Great Books for High School Kids is the culmination of their efforts.

C...more
Published May 15th 2004 by Beacon Press

To ask other readers questions about Great Books for High School Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Books for High School Kids

Diane
I loved the stories of the books that worked for the teachers and how the classes responded to them. I wish more high school English teachers would read it.
The lists/annotations included in this book are not necessarily as good/helpful as ones in, say, Book Crush, but the essays are wonderful. I imagine the essays are even more enjoyable when the reader has read the books discussed, but even though I hadn't read most of them, I enjoyed the depth of the discussions, and while the book is labeled as for teachers, and the essays discuss school, librarians, parents and anyone involved with teens will appreciate this book.
Kate
The book lists were great. The editors came across as rather self-important, as did a lot of the contributors. I feel like I could've saved a lot of time and energy by skipping the chapters.
Mark Isero
I really liked the book lists, and some of the chapters were excellent, but others were only OK. Some of the books, however, seemed a little too challenging for many of my high school students.
Stephanie
An excellent guide to help give students the right books to read for study or pleasure.
Melissa
Just OK... not a lot on the big list of recommended books for struggling readers.
Amy
tee hee. couldn't resist
Jamie Griffith
Jamie Griffith marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Yasmine Dero
Yasmine Dero marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Crugee
Crugee added it
Dec 31, 2013
Aileen Koesche
Aileen Koesche marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2013
Lisa Singh
Lisa Singh marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2013
Elaine
Elaine added it
Jun 03, 2013
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2013
Elisa
Elisa marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2013
Lizzy
Lizzy added it
Feb 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Great Books for High School Kids: A Guide to Wonderful, Engrossing, Life-Changin Great Books for High School Kids: A Teacher's Guide to Books That Can Change Teens' Lives Great Books for High School Kids: A Teachers' Guide to Books That Can Change Teens' Lives Great Books for High School Kids