The House of Gucci: A Sensational Story of Murder, Madness, Glamour, and Greed

The House of Gucci: A Sensational Story of Murder, Madness, Glamour, and Greed

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  369 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Did Patrizia Reggiani murder her ex-husband, Maurizio Gucci, in 1995 because his spending was wildly out of control? Did she do it because her glamorous ex was preparing to marry his mistress, Paola Franchi? Or is there a possibility she didn't do it at all?

In this gripping account of the ascent, eventual collapse, and resurrection of the Gucci dynasty, Sara Gay Forden tak...more
Published October 9th 2001 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The House of Gucci, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House of Gucci

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenVanity Fair by William Makepeace ThackerayLook Back in Anger by John OsborneThe Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom WolfeLust for Life by Irving Stone
The Seven Deadly Sins
65th out of 80 books — 13 voters
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingLondon by Peter AckroydEnglish Passengers by Matthew KnealeA Life in the Twentieth Century by Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr.Hitler, Vol 2 by Ian Kershaw
The Economist - Books of the Year 2000
25th out of 40 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Jasmine
The family drama and murder of Maurizio Gucci were the most interesting parts of this book. Unfortunately the business history drags the book down. Forden also seems to get a bit off track at points. When telling of how designer Tom Ford came to work for Gucci, she delves into his personal history. While fairly interesting, it didn't seem terribly germane to the story.
Stephanie
When I picked up this book and scanned the first few pages, I thought the story would merely be a sensationalistic expose of the Gucci family. However, I looked through the Bibliographical Notes at the book's end and found an impressive list of references regarding not only the Gucci family itself, but also the financial and corporate history of LVMH, Ferragamo and other fashion giants. The first few pages are an attention-grabber, and I think the book is hard to put down once one really gets in...more
mika takemura
although it is a non-fiction book, the GUCCI family is so fascinating and unimaginable that it was like watching a soap opera.
Amy
Drama! Like a True Hollywood Story on E!, so it's a bit silly but interesting read.
Chana
From small family leather working business selling hand bags and shoes to multi-national conglomerate; the road was a difficult one for the Gucci family, and a lot of other small family businesses as they were bought out of their own businesses by huge conglomerates. Gucci did well when it was the founder Guccio Gucci and his sons. His son Aldo put the business on the international level with stores in Italy, the U.S. and Asia and a variety of products besides the Gucci hand bags and loafers. Wh...more
Bindia
This is a great read. Highly recommended and great effort for the first time author. The book is written in a way that we feel as if we are in the thick of incidents. There is never a dull moment in this book.
This book provides an insightful look into the history and development of the House of Gucci, from how the business started, the Gucci family success and turmoil, and the recent comeback and dominance of Gucci. You read about Gucci's humble beginning, the personalities in the family, the on...more
Heather G
Don't remember how I picked up this book but it's been on my shelf since 2001. Describes business and a soap opera but is all about fashion too (which I'm not into but it's still interesting). Gucci had many firsts in the fashion industry and this book covered the company's history along with the family characters, squabbles, fortunes, and murder. It's always amazing how unhappy materially-blessed people can be.
Maddie
I felt as if the House of Gucci: A Sensational Story of Murder, Madness, Glamour and Greed by Sara G. Forden was a high drama, intense book.
This book covers what happened in the Gucci dynasty from the brutal murders to the glamourous lifestyles.
One think I did not like about this book was the perspective it was written form. I feel as if the book was written from the perspective of someone living in Italy at the time who knew the Gucci family, the book would have been easier to feel involved i...more
Marlene
I don't know how Domenico De Sole kept his sanity through all those years at Gucci. The family is nuttier than the Versaces. It does show, by comparison, just how important Santo Versace was to that house, since it was the lack of a Santo that finally lost Maurizio Gucci control of his own family business.

Bernard Arnault, unsurprisingly, comes across as a huge dick. Ditto to Prada's Patrizio Bertelli, although the story of him throwing such a fit in his office that a Prada bag went flying out th...more
Dana Delamar
A fascinating account of the rise of the Gucci family and the machinations within it that nearly destroyed the Gucci empire. Just about every member of the family is a "character" to the Nth degree, and Forden captures them all vividly. The book starts with the murder of Maurizio Gucci, but that's not the only sensational story within these pages. Forden somehow manages to make every twist and turn of the Gucci business fascinating, and the squabbles between the family members are entertaining a...more
Aimee
Had been meaning to read this for a few years and am glad I finally got to it. Real-life murder mystery in such a glamorous industry setting. Surprised I don't remember hearing about it in the news back in the 80's. Actually it made me long for a Gucci handbag and some shoes! Especially impressed with Tom Ford. Plenty of business lessons intertwined -- which was Yiwen's point when she gave it to me for my MBA graduation.
Steve
Read for book club. As the only guy with a group of girls I was surprised I was the only one who finished this outside of the girl who chose it. The first half that detailed the rise of the Gucci fashion house I found incredibly boring. The second half that dealt with the family backstabbing was more interesting, but overall this book is only for those truly interested in the history of fashion.
Kristin
interesting at times but terribly easy to put down this book has been on my nightstand for over a year. picking it up seemed a task but I always generally liked it but not drawn to it. it was definitely a reminder that a label and a brand are only that and there are much more worthwhile things to spend money on.
Rachel
I've heard they are going to make a movie out of this story and it was really interesting. However it was super hard to keep track of all the family members especially since a lot of their names were 2nd and 3rd generations old. Definitely wasn't a quick read for me but it was a good one.
Jordan
Yes, yes and more yes! This book was ten kinds of entertaining. This book is the equivalent of reading the Real Housewives, except you can still feel smug about not watching reality TV. There is so much drama in this book. I loved every page of it. Please read it.
Jenny
i did not know a lot about the house of gucci until i read this book. it was an easy read, I think I read it in one night..but very interesting at the same time. it takes a book like this for people to understand the true madness that families, like Gucci, go through.
Jessica
I read through the first 30 or so pages and got bored. I didn't finish the book. I honestly thought that it was going to be more interesting than I thought it was. I enjoy history, but I didn't care about any of the history that was in this book.
Denise Atwood
Great intrigue with Italy and fashion, I may give it five stars but I am not done yet!

Definitely worth finishing, it is a lot of detail but fascinating story about fashion, Italy, Paris and the time frame of the 60's to the 90's
jen
This book talks more about the family fighting and ultimately the business deals that took the Gucci Company out of control of the Gucci family. Lots of business talk, but I'd give it a hearty "ehhhhhhh..."
Linda
Really enjoyed the book. Sort of just happened on to it but it is a great business book as well as an insight into luxury brand companies and the complexities of running them. A great read.
Daphne
I couldn't finish it. I wanted to something where I would learn about fashion. This book is about a crazy dysfunctional family more than fashion. I just couldn't relate.
Kelly
Wasn't sure that I would like this book, but found it interesting to learn the rise and fall of the Gucci empire. Who doesn't love a little murder and fashion??
Kristin Schleiter
Good so far, though the story is becoming less "sensational" and more "typical family fighting." I hope they get over it soon!
Whitney Nobles
A long but interesting story about the Gucci family. You learn the history of the products, the stores, and the family secrets.
Amy
Really interesting. I had no idea! Not that I'm that up on high fashion anyway. . .You'll never window shop the same.
Michelle
Fantastic read. Fascinating, riveting, appalling. The way that family treated one another was horrific.
Molly
Interesting book on the rise of the Gucci family business of luxury goods. I learned a lot about business.
Kelly
Apr 05, 2011 Kelly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Lots and lots and looooots of information. This is good if you really want to dig deep into Gucci history.
Kanoe
the first child in my bag family is a black pleated leather Gucci clutch. viva italia!
  • Front Row: Anna Wintour: The Cool Life and Hot Times of Vogue's Editor in Chief
  • The Beautiful Fall: Lagerfeld, Saint Laurent, and Glorious Excess in 1970s Paris
  • House of Versace: The Untold Story of Genius, Murder, and Survival