Start by marking “The House of Gucci: A Sensational Story of Murder, Madness, Glamour, and Greed” as Want to Read:
The House of Gucci: A Sensational Story of Murder, Madness, Glamour, and Greed

The House of Gucci: A Sensational Story of Murder, Madness, Glamour, and Greed

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  465 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Did Patrizia Reggiani murder her ex-husband, Maurizio Gucci, in 1995 because his spending was wildly out of control? Did she do it because her glamorous ex was preparing to marry his mistress, Paola Franchi? Or is there a possibility she didn't do it at all?

In this gripping account of the ascent, eventual collapse, and resurrection of the Gucci dynasty, Sara Gay Forden tak
Published October 9th 2001 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The House of Gucci, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House of Gucci

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenVanity Fair by William Makepeace ThackerayLook Back in Anger by John OsborneLust for Life by Irving StoneThe Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
The Seven Deadly Sins
68th out of 83 books — 14 voters
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingLondon by Peter AckroydEnglish Passengers by Matthew KnealeA Life in the Twentieth Century by Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr.Hitler, Vol 2 by Ian Kershaw
The Economist - Books of the Year 2000
25th out of 40 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Jasmine
Dec 21, 2012 Jasmine rated it it was ok
The family drama and murder of Maurizio Gucci were the most interesting parts of this book. Unfortunately the business history drags the book down. Forden also seems to get a bit off track at points. When telling of how designer Tom Ford came to work for Gucci, she delves into his personal history. While fairly interesting, it didn't seem terribly germane to the story.
Stephanie
Dec 25, 2009 Stephanie rated it really liked it
When I picked up this book and scanned the first few pages, I thought the story would merely be a sensationalistic expose of the Gucci family. However, I looked through the Bibliographical Notes at the book's end and found an impressive list of references regarding not only the Gucci family itself, but also the financial and corporate history of LVMH, Ferragamo and other fashion giants. The first few pages are an attention-grabber, and I think the book is hard to put down once one really gets in ...more
mika takemura
Jul 31, 2007 mika takemura rated it really liked it
although it is a non-fiction book, the GUCCI family is so fascinating and unimaginable that it was like watching a soap opera.
Amy
Mar 23, 2009 Amy rated it it was ok
Drama! Like a True Hollywood Story on E!, so it's a bit silly but interesting read.
Chana
From small family leather working business selling hand bags and shoes to multi-national conglomerate; the road was a difficult one for the Gucci family, and a lot of other small family businesses as they were bought out of their own businesses by huge conglomerates. Gucci did well when it was the founder Guccio Gucci and his sons. His son Aldo put the business on the international level with stores in Italy, the U.S. and Asia and a variety of products besides the Gucci hand bags and loafers. Wh ...more
Bindia
Jul 21, 2014 Bindia rated it really liked it
This is a great read. Highly recommended and great effort for the first time author. The book is written in a way that we feel as if we are in the thick of incidents. There is never a dull moment in this book.
This book provides an insightful look into the history and development of the House of Gucci, from how the business started, the Gucci family success and turmoil, and the recent comeback and dominance of Gucci. You read about Gucci's humble beginning, the personalities in the family, the on
Heather G
Mar 09, 2014 Heather G rated it really liked it
Don't remember how I picked up this book but it's been on my shelf since 2001. Describes business and a soap opera but is all about fashion too (which I'm not into but it's still interesting). Gucci had many firsts in the fashion industry and this book covered the company's history along with the family characters, squabbles, fortunes, and murder. It's always amazing how unhappy materially-blessed people can be.
Maddie
Feb 28, 2013 Maddie rated it it was ok
I felt as if the House of Gucci: A Sensational Story of Murder, Madness, Glamour and Greed by Sara G. Forden was a high drama, intense book.
This book covers what happened in the Gucci dynasty from the brutal murders to the glamourous lifestyles.
One think I did not like about this book was the perspective it was written form. I feel as if the book was written from the perspective of someone living in Italy at the time who knew the Gucci family, the book would have been easier to feel involved i
Marlene
Nov 27, 2010 Marlene rated it really liked it
I don't know how Domenico De Sole kept his sanity through all those years at Gucci. The family is nuttier than the Versaces. It does show, by comparison, just how important Santo Versace was to that house, since it was the lack of a Santo that finally lost Maurizio Gucci control of his own family business.

Bernard Arnault, unsurprisingly, comes across as a huge dick. Ditto to Prada's Patrizio Bertelli, although the story of him throwing such a fit in his office that a Prada bag went flying out th
Blaire
Mar 23, 2015 Blaire rated it it was ok
Shelves: history
A decent read but too much focus on the finances of Gucci and too little on the murder itself (the supposed focal point of the story, if the back cover is to be believed) for my taste. I started skipping portions of chapters that went on and on about the financial state of the Gucci companies over the years.
Dana Delamar
Dec 30, 2012 Dana Delamar rated it it was amazing
A fascinating account of the rise of the Gucci family and the machinations within it that nearly destroyed the Gucci empire. Just about every member of the family is a "character" to the Nth degree, and Forden captures them all vividly. The book starts with the murder of Maurizio Gucci, but that's not the only sensational story within these pages. Forden somehow manages to make every twist and turn of the Gucci business fascinating, and the squabbles between the family members are entertaining a ...more
Sarah Dawidowski
May 29, 2015 Sarah Dawidowski rated it liked it
A little bit slow to start, but it was enjoyable to learn about the history of the Gucci family and the story of how Giovanni was betrayed.
Annette
Nov 23, 2015 Annette rated it it was ok
At times it is difficult to keep up with the dates, as the author jumps back and forth in time.
Beth Schneider
Dec 30, 2014 Beth Schneider rated it it was ok
Way too long
Aimee
Apr 07, 2010 Aimee rated it really liked it
Had been meaning to read this for a few years and am glad I finally got to it. Real-life murder mystery in such a glamorous industry setting. Surprised I don't remember hearing about it in the news back in the 80's. Actually it made me long for a Gucci handbag and some shoes! Especially impressed with Tom Ford. Plenty of business lessons intertwined -- which was Yiwen's point when she gave it to me for my MBA graduation.
Steve
Jun 25, 2008 Steve rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Read for book club. As the only guy with a group of girls I was surprised I was the only one who finished this outside of the girl who chose it. The first half that detailed the rise of the Gucci fashion house I found incredibly boring. The second half that dealt with the family backstabbing was more interesting, but overall this book is only for those truly interested in the history of fashion.
Tracey
Jan 21, 2014 Tracey rated it liked it
Kristin
Dec 14, 2013 Kristin rated it it was ok
interesting at times but terribly easy to put down this book has been on my nightstand for over a year. picking it up seemed a task but I always generally liked it but not drawn to it. it was definitely a reminder that a label and a brand are only that and there are much more worthwhile things to spend money on.
Rachel
Jun 13, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it
I've heard they are going to make a movie out of this story and it was really interesting. However it was super hard to keep track of all the family members especially since a lot of their names were 2nd and 3rd generations old. Definitely wasn't a quick read for me but it was a good one.
Jordan
Mar 10, 2014 Jordan rated it it was amazing
Yes, yes and more yes! This book was ten kinds of entertaining. This book is the equivalent of reading the Real Housewives, except you can still feel smug about not watching reality TV. There is so much drama in this book. I loved every page of it. Please read it.
Jenny
Jan 28, 2010 Jenny rated it really liked it
i did not know a lot about the house of gucci until i read this book. it was an easy read, I think I read it in one night..but very interesting at the same time. it takes a book like this for people to understand the true madness that families, like Gucci, go through.
Jessica
Sep 21, 2012 Jessica rated it did not like it
I read through the first 30 or so pages and got bored. I didn't finish the book. I honestly thought that it was going to be more interesting than I thought it was. I enjoy history, but I didn't care about any of the history that was in this book.
Barbara
Aug 05, 2015 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: fashion
I am a former employee of the Chicago flagship store on Michigan Avenue. I was interested in the subject, but the author told the story with redundancy after redundancy. The book could have been half the size and still told the story.
Denise Atwood
Nov 02, 2012 Denise Atwood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great intrigue with Italy and fashion, I may give it five stars but I am not done yet!

Definitely worth finishing, it is a lot of detail but fascinating story about fashion, Italy, Paris and the time frame of the 60's to the 90's
jen
Oct 19, 2007 jen rated it it was ok
This book talks more about the family fighting and ultimately the business deals that took the Gucci Company out of control of the Gucci family. Lots of business talk, but I'd give it a hearty "ehhhhhhh..."
Linda
Sep 03, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed the book. Sort of just happened on to it but it is a great business book as well as an insight into luxury brand companies and the complexities of running them. A great read.
Daphne
Sep 29, 2012 Daphne rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish it. I wanted to something where I would learn about fashion. This book is about a crazy dysfunctional family more than fashion. I just couldn't relate.
Kelly
Sep 10, 2008 Kelly rated it really liked it
Wasn't sure that I would like this book, but found it interesting to learn the rise and fall of the Gucci empire. Who doesn't love a little murder and fashion??
Kristin Schleiter
Good so far, though the story is becoming less "sensational" and more "typical family fighting." I hope they get over it soon!
Whitney Nobles
Jan 08, 2008 Whitney Nobles rated it really liked it
A long but interesting story about the Gucci family. You learn the history of the products, the stores, and the family secrets.
  • Front Row: Anna Wintour: The Cool Life and Hot Times of Vogue's Editor in Chief
  • The Golden Age of Couture: Paris and London 1947-1957
  • The Beautiful Fall: Lagerfeld, Saint Laurent, and Glorious Excess in 1970s Paris
  • Fierce Style: How to Be Your Most Fabulous Self
  • The End of Fashion: How Marketing Changed the Clothing Business Forever
  • Chanel: A Woman of Her Own
  • Chanel and Her World: Friends, Fashion, and Fame
  • Kevyn Aucoin, a Beautiful Life: The Success, Struggles, and Beauty Secrets of a Legendary Makeup Artist
  • The Power of Style
  • House of Versace: The Untold Story of Genius, Murder, and Survival
  • Fashion Babylon
  • D.V.
  • Dressing Marilyn: How a Hollywood Icon Was Styled by William Travilla
  • Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster
  • 100 Dresses: The Costume Institute / The Metropolitan Museum of Art
  • War Paint: Madame Helena Rubinstein and Miss Elizabeth Arden: Their Lives, Their Times, Their Rivalry
  • The Pocket Stylist