Start by marking “The Element Encyclopedia of Secret Signs and Symbols ” as Want to Read:
The Element Encyclopedia of Secret Signs and Symbols

The Element Encyclopedia of Secret Signs and Symbols (Element Encyclopedia)

In this book you will find the definitive A-Z guide to the ancient meanings of signs and symbols, some of which have been lost for thousands of years. From different cultures and religions across the world, here are signs of magic and mystery, secret alphabets, scripts, and numerology. Find out why Masonic Temples have black and white checkered floors, where in the Natural ...more
558 pages
Published November 28th 2008 (first published 2008)

Donna
This "review"'s going to deviate from my standard reviews a bit. Back to your regularly scheduled reviewing next time.

A commenter on my other blog and I were having a little conversation about book buying in the comments of one of my posts there. I don’t know about you, but right now I need more books like I need a double lobotomy. Like I told him in my comment, when I went to pre-order Jessica’s Guide to Dating on the Dark Side, I just had to pick up Why We Suck by Dr. Denis Leary. The man is m
Brad VanAuken
I am impressed with the thoroughness of this book. It is broad and deep in its coverage. It covers many more esoteric symbols and concepts than most other similar books and its explanations are as in-depth as they can be for a book such as this. The book is almost 700 pages in length. I highly recommend this book to those who are interested in the meaning of symbols, numbers, sacred geometry, divinities, rites, rituals, alchemy, flora, fauna and more. I bought this for $9.99 at Borders, so it is ...more
Kiki
Dec 29, 2011 Kiki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Element Encyclopedia series. There isn't a lot to review since this is a reference book, but let me tell you; I always smile when I open this book. Granted, you don't get a ginormous amount of information per symbol, but that's not really what this book is for. It's a starting place. Looking for something to symbolize [insert random emotion/object/plane here]? Have a flick through, find a tidbit of information, jot it down and then go from there. This book is a starting point for symb ...more
David
Jan 13, 2010 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far this book seems really well written and informative: In a field
where I have done a fair amount of reading, I'm learning--always a good thing. Of definite value to Pagans, or anyone with a curiosity concerning the origins and meanings behind various signs and symbols. International in scope.
Lisa
Nov 07, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book is an amazing treasure trove of all things a really good writer needs to put together something unique and interesting. It's chock full of great information and symbols. I highly recommend this to anyone who is looking to expand their knowledge.
Jay
Jul 13, 2012 Jay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, own
This is a great piece of reference both for writing and reading literature, as well as for those times when you're just bored.
Deboshree Chatterjee
May 06, 2013 Deboshree Chatterjee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
absolutely enchanted.... We see so many things every day and we seldom know what exactly are those objects and signs signifies of .... !!!! great book... highly recommended for all... I loved it...... :) Thank you soooo much Ms. Adele.... :)
Ann-Marie
Mar 02, 2013 Ann-Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading most everything in here. There were a few sections within the chapters that became tedious with the information. Overall though I feel like I learned a few things and had fun with it.
Misty Barnes-cross
I use this book often. Love it!
Jonathan Long
Interesting. No depth on really anything, but a good general overview.
Camilla Rose
Jul 01, 2012 Camilla Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is great! So much information :)
Jamie Siemsen
May 26, 2012 Jamie Siemsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AwesomeSauce.
Molina
Nov 02, 2011 Molina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book
Isaac Caballero
Mar 22, 2010 Isaac Caballero marked it as to-read
I read several pages when I borrowed it during my caribean cruise trip. I was stunned at the information.
John Ober
Feb 26, 2010 John Ober is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
something fun on everypage
Kerry
Jan 11, 2013 Kerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read as well as a great reference guide for looking up signs & symbols. Highly recommend it.
Sophie
Pretty interesting opus in this series and quite useful as a resource book for (aspiring) writers, imo.
Donna
Apr 14, 2013 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good to learn new things
Angela Coulter
Great resource!
Rhonda
A big book I love to read when other books are not sticking.
Chy
Mar 20, 2014 Chy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely fascinating.

I thought I knew a lot about signs and symbols---and I still think I do---but this fleshed out so much of that. It's still simplified and condensed. But it's a very good job of simplifying and condensing.

I bought this the other day with the expectation that it'd be like, oh, one of the "weird true stories" books that float around. You know, that I'd thumb through it now and then, reading a few items two or three times, until I realized I had read everything in it. (And the
nikki
Mar 11, 2016 nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2016
this series is a good starter pack. it contains brief information on a lot of different things, and is a good place to do beginner reference and expand further from there. i'm also a sucker for the format and style of the books - they just look good, and i can't help but think of how good they'd look together on my bookshelf. as a bibliophile, i really like this series.

obviously, don't consult these for in-depth research. but, again, they're a good place to start broad, wide-ranging consultation
Paula Mckinley
Great book for all the English lit majors in your life, or for all those who need to know what everything represents. I constantly look through and enjoy the through details of each description. As well as the multicultural persecutive.
Colleen Houck
This book gave me so many ideas for my WIP.
C.J. Moseley
Feb 16, 2014 C.J. Moseley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for designers, artists, novelists and anyone else with an interest in secret signs and symbolism. Love it, although I do have some issues with some entries.
Nawal Al Hosani Scorpion DOADA
Its a reference as the title sugguests.... & Really detailed and informative and some what inspiring....
Yvonne
Fascinating book filled with so much information. It's a massive book crammed with obscure symbols and bits of magickal history. Nicely presented and well written, very easy to read.
Ari Frankel
Ari Frankel rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2013
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2010
Mary Gonzalez
Mary Gonzalez rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2012
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Secret Societies and Hidden History: The Ultimate A-Z of Ancient Mysteries, Lost Civilizations and Forgotten Wisdom
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Ghosts & Hauntings : The Ultimate A-Z of Spirits, Mysteries and the Paranormal
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures: The Ultimate A-Z of Fantastic Beings from Myth and Magic
  • The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells: The Ultimate Reference Book for the Magical Arts
  • The Elements Encyclopedia of the Celts
  • Signs, Symbols & Omens: An Illustrated Guide to Magical & Spiritual Symbolism
  • Green Witchcraft II: Balancing Light & Shadow
  • The Way of Four: Create Elemental Balance in Your Life
  • Goddess Alive!: Inviting Celtic & Norse Goddesses Into Your Life
  • Whispers from the Woods: The Lore & Magic of Trees
  • Cryptozoology A to Z: The Encyclopedia of Loch Monsters, Sasquatch, Chupacabras & Other Authentic Mysteries of Nature
  • Herb Magic for Beginners: Down-To-Earth Enchantments
  • The Encyclopedia of Witches and Witchcraft
  • The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology: An A-Z Guide to the Myths and Legends of the Ancient World
  • Spell Crafts: Creating Magical Objects

Element Encyclopedia (10 books)
  • Element Encyclopedia of the Psychic World