Start by marking “Badge of Infamy” as Want to Read:
Badge of Infamy
Read Book* *Different edition

Badge of Infamy

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The computer seemed to work as it should. The speed was within acceptable limits. He gave up trying to see the ground and was forced to trust the machinery designed for amateur pilots. The flare bloomed, and he yanked down on the little lever. It could have been worse. They hit the ground, bounced twice, and turned over. The ship was a mess when Feldman freed himself from ...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Wildside Press (first published June 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Badge of Infamy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Badge of Infamy

Bryan
I really, really enjoyed this audiobook (available for free at www.podiobooks.com). It was short but gripping, and the author really developed tension in the story that kept me coming back eagerly to see what would happen next.

So... why only the 3-star rating? I guess mainly because I couldn't accept the extent of the hostile reaction this doctor received for his crime - helping a dying man. Supposedly there were regulations (by the all-powerful medical lobby) dictating when and where a doctor c
Jesse Whitehead
Most people, when asked, probably could not name a book written by Lester Del Rey. A very small number of people (who happened to be following the science fiction literature world at the time) might remember that he worked as an editor for John W. Campbell. What most people remember about Lester Del Rey, possibly without even knowing it, is that, in 1977 he founded Del Rey Publishing, an imprint of Ballantine.

Lester Del Rey was working as an editor at the time when a manuscript for a new fantasy
Thom Swennes
Feb 06, 2013 Thom Swennes rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All lovers of science fiction
Badge of Infamy is a novella in the genre of science fiction. First published in 1954 this book contains many impossibilities and a few uncanny insights to the future. The Earth has colonized Mars and treats the Martian-born inhabitants as purely financial pawns. For a refreshing change, Martian-grown tobacco plays a redeeming role. I love reading and read almost everything in print. This said, science fiction is one of my least favorite genres. I feel sure that if this wasn’t the case, I would ...more
Karl Smithe
I used to work in a hospital. A woman in the accounting department would tell me about the junk the doctors would pull trying to rip off the government. They would send paperwork back to the doctors because they knew the government wasn't dumb enough to fall for some of their nonsense.

The medical bureaucracy portrayed in this book makes it almost seem prophetic considering the medical problems in this country now. It is a decent story but that makes it better than average. Our medical problems a
Dianne Owens
In my recent move to read science fiction classics, I finally gave Lester Del Rey's Badge of Infamy a run. It was a pleasant diversion after a month or so without reading anything. It was also a great introduction to Del Rey's writing and Steven H. Wilson's readings. Though the novel is science fiction, there is a medical thriller aspect that cannot be ignored.
I won't go over the synopsis of this story as the goodreads write-up gives a sufficient indication of what to expect, but I will add tha
Jim
Product Description

Daniel Feldman was a doctor once. He made the mistake of saving a friend's life in violation of Medical Lobby rules. Now, he's a pariah, shunned by all, forbidden to touch another patient. But things are more loose on Mars. There, Doc Feldman is welcomed by the colonists, even as he's hunted by the authorities. But, when he discovers a Martian plague may soon wipe out humanity on two planets, Feldman finds himself a pivotal figure. War erupts. Earth is poised to wipe out the

Bill
Quite an interesting concept of a 'Lobby' controlling everything about society like that. I think Lester handled the story very well, and the conflicts stood out so you could almost picture them.
Sean O'Hara

Daniel Feldman is a pariah -- once a successful doctor, his lisence has been revoked after he performed a life-saving operation outside a designated hospital zone. With nothing for him on Earth but a life of poverty, Feldman stows away on a ship to Mars.

Mars is ... well, you know the deal. Colony world kept in hock to Earth, receives only the minimal resources necessary to keep it profitable, limited medical facilities, etc. The colonists, naturally, are willing to accept even a pariah doctor. A
Lauren
Good, sturdy, workmanlike SF. Lester Del Ray is one of my favorite authors for a dependably good read, if not for posing earth-shaking questions.

Early in the story, Del Rey draws a straight line from America's adoption of universal suffrage to the emergence of special interest lobbies as the supreme branch of government. The rest of the book is a serviceable, if brief, adventure yarn about a doctor who ran afoul of malpractice laws and was made pariah by the medical lobby.

That Del Rey makes such
Gary
This is a very old story by one of the early SF writers and although it feels old in terms of it's style and language it has some key elements that are 'eternal' i.e. good wining out over bad, Big Government trampling on the little people etc. and I am sure at the time of writing it would have been as original as Bradbury's Martian Chronicles if not so grand in it's scale. I'd only recommend it if you are feeling nostalgic for the beginnings of SF, but it's not a long book so it won't drag you a ...more
Brian
I was all set to write a great review, then I read this one and decided mine would have been completely superfluous. Just read his.

Grab an ebook version at Gutenberg or Manybooks etc.
Joan
Classic fifties science fiction written before we sent little land rovers to mars and believed we could actually colonize the place. Some social commentary about the medical profession that was interesting but mostly loved the independent spirit of the settlers.
Keith Bell
A dated story , no doubt. You can tell this when the cure to the plague comes in the form of, basically, a cigarette. Good premise of the AMA ruling society to societies detriment though.
Stephen Theaker
An unfairly disbarred doctor plies his trade on the Martian frontier and gets involved in a revolution. An epic story in a short book - just my cup of tea.
Damien Ryan
Ugh. Randian nonsense strikes again; what is it about white American males that makes them mistake their privilege for exceptionalism?
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Jessica Rickardsson
Jessica Rickardsson marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Briana
Briana marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Owlseyes
Owlseyes marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
John Adkins
John Adkins marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
19739
Lester del Rey (June 2, 1915 – May 10, 1993) was an American science fiction author and editor. Del Rey is especially famous for his juvenile novels such as those which are part of the Winston Science Fiction series, and for Del Rey Books, the fantasy and science fiction branch of Ballantine Books edited by Lester del Rey and his fourth wife Judy-Lynn del Rey.

aka Philip St. John
aka Eric van Lihn
ak
More about Lester del Rey...
The Runaway Robot Once Upon a Time Tunnel Through Time Nerves Police Your Planet