Start by marking “The Power of Premonitions: How Knowing the Future Can Shape Our Lives” as Want to Read:
The Power of Premonitions: How Knowing the Future Can Shape Our Lives

The Power of Premonitions: How Knowing the Future Can Shape Our Lives

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  115 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
The doctor-and bestselling author-who first demonstrated the healing effects of prayer now offers an unprecedented look at the science of premonitions.

When Larry Dossey was in his first year of medical practice, he experienced a week of premonitions about patients, all of which came true. He had never had them before; they seemed to have come out of left field. After the s
Published April 30th 2009 by Dutton Adult (first published April 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Premonitions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Premonitions

Katherine Chinelli
Jul 23, 2014 Katherine Chinelli rated it it was amazing
This book opened my mind to the possibilities that abound in the universe around us. I love that he combined his skeptical nature with the practice of delving into the unknown that is the unseen world around us. He asked for stories and he got them. So many of the accounts he shared were almost unbelievable, yet haunting because of the feeling I got when reading them that they were indeed very real. Reading this book made me heed my own premonitions and begin recording my dreams again, which ind ...more
Shonna Froebel
The book explores the scientific proof of premonitions and talks about how they are reacted to, by both those having them and those who hear of them. The book discusses all types of psi phenomena, with a focus on premonitions. The author experienced this phenomena among some of his patients and became intrigued by how it could best be acted on.
Relationships between major disasters and premonitions are looked at, as well as those of a more personal nature. Dossey relies about scientific studies o
ACT
Jul 16, 2014 ACT rated it really liked it
I found this at the library (had no active interest in the topic), and found it to be a pretty intereating read. It's clear the author has a great interest and knowledge of the topic. His arguments are well backed up, which is a bit unusual for a topic that we typically think of as non-scientific. The references, notes, and suggested reading are almost 50 pages!
Susan
Jul 28, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heard this doctor on talk radio last week and it piqued my interest. He was getting ready to speak in Durham. The book is mainly about premonitions, telepathy, remote viewing, and synchronicity. There are many premonition stories surrounding 9/11, the Titanic, the tsunami, and other events. He also talks about the telepathic abilities of animals. He discusses how the future is not necessarily written in stone and can be altered by premonitions (for example, the people who saved their own lives b ...more
Tami
Aug 23, 2009 Tami rated it really liked it
It’s interesting. People are becoming more comfortable talking about and using their intuition. There are literally hundreds of self-help books on the shelves of local bookstores. Yet, premonitions are still relegated to the paranormal or occult.

The Power of Premonitions attempts to take premonitions out of the shadows. The author notes that premonitions are far more common than we think. They are akin to intuition and if heeded can be just as beneficial as using intuition.

The book is filled w
Nancy
Aug 16, 2014 Nancy rated it really liked it
I heard the author of this book one evening on NPR, and he told several interesting examples of premonitions that piqued my interest. I bought the book and really enjoyed it.
Rob
Dec 31, 2015 Rob rated it really liked it
Fascinating book. Connections between "ESP" phenomena and quantum physics? "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. "
Liz
It was interesting, especially the cases, but I found most of this to be a little dry for my taste.
Sean Hopkins
Mar 06, 2010 Sean Hopkins rated it really liked it
This book provides interesting real world stories about premonitions. In certain instances, the author relies too much on experiments in support of his scientific assertions that premonitions are real. The question of whether premonitions are a common occurence or simply coincidences or hunches remains open to me but the book was well written and insightful.
Rodney Bond
Mar 11, 2013 Rodney Bond rated it did not like it
Shelves: special-interest
This book is not well written. It is all over the place with circumstantial evidence, mostly post-event, of premonitions. This has been shown to be possibly induced into memory by modern research. There is some hint of truth about premonitions in the discussion of entropy - something I had not considered. But wading through the material is laborious.
Sam Rodriguez
May 18, 2014 Sam Rodriguez rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual
This guy is the real deal. If you think premonitions are BS, check out the first section of this book where he presents his case methodically in an M.D. type fashion. If you're already a "believer," just reading this book will get you more tuned into the "coincidences" that are happening all the time. Overall, a very well thought out book.
Mark
May 22, 2011 Mark rated it it was amazing
interesting read. Larry Dossey knows what he is talking about. He has done a few really great interviews with radio show host Steve Maraboli. I enjoy listening to him discuss what he does, and how we can use it to empower us. What a fun read.
Nicky Jones
Oct 25, 2014 Nicky Jones rated it really liked it
Excellent read!
Jan
Feb 05, 2011 Jan rated it really liked it
I find the topic fascinating and I always enjoy his writing. This didn't disappoint. I also appreciated the chapters on Universal Mind/Consciousness. Part of my philosophy for years and years.
Michael Nalbone
Jun 13, 2016 Michael Nalbone rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I wish I had known of this book when it was published. It was comforting to learn my experiences are not isolated. Anyone that has the 'sight' and struggling with it should read this book.
Chad
Oct 23, 2009 Chad rated it liked it
Discovered this on the "new books" shelf of the library. Interesting discussion of people's experiences. Also discusses related scientific studies.
Sandra Knight
Sep 08, 2009 Sandra Knight rated it really liked it
Hugely intriguing...shares documented premonitions followed by real events, studies in remote viewing, etc. Pretty good read.
Shannon
Mar 22, 2011 Shannon rated it really liked it
The stories in this book are fascinating but I didn't always agree with the take the author's perspective. Worth reading.
Jill Charlotte
loved this man and his stories..... all made sense and opened up newness thank you xx
Laurie
May 31, 2009 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Great compilation of research on premonitions and universal consciousness.
Sue
Sep 20, 2012 Sue marked it as to-read
Loved this book. Very empowering!
Melissa Johnson
LOVED!
Hillis Pugh
Hillis Pugh rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Hazellie
Hazellie marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
BronteC.
BronteC. marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Io?
Io? marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Clif
Clif marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
kathryn rafnson
kathryn rafnson marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
  • How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor
  • Grow Younger, Live Longer: Ten Steps to Reverse Aging
  • Sex Tips for Straight Women from a Gay Man
  • Hair Story: Untangling the Roots of Black Hair in America
  • In Their Own Way: Discovering and Encouraging Your Child's Multiple Intelligences
  • There is a River: The Story of Edgar Cayce
  • The Hundred-Year Lie: How Food and Medicine Are Destroying Your Health
  • On My Own at 107: Reflections on Life Without Bessie
  • The Human Revolution (The Human Revolution, #1-12)
  • The Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics
  • Still Here: Embracing Aging, Changing and Dying
  • Back To Eden
  • Organic Housekeeping: In Which the Nontoxic Avenger Shows You How to Improve Your Health and That of Your Family, While You Save Time, Money, And, Perhaps, Your Sanity
  • Here and Hereafter
  • The Wisdom of James Allen: Five Books in One: As a Man Thinketh: The Path to Prosperity: The Mastery of Destiny: The Way of Peace: Entering the Kingdom
  • The Puppy Whisperer: A Compassionate, Nonviolent Guide to Early Training and Care
  • Dogs and the Women Who Love Them: Extraordinary True Stories of Loyalty, Healing, and Inspiration

“Become a good noticer. Pay attention to the feelings, hunches, and intuitions that flood your life each day. If you do, you will see that premonitions are not rare, but a natural part of our lives.” 9 likes