Love, Mom: Poignant, Goofy, Brilliant Messages from Home

Love, Mom: Poignant, Goofy, Brilliant Messages from Home

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  17 reviews
MY MOTHER SENDS ME EMAILS IN ALL CAPS SO IT ALWAYS SEEMS LIKE SHE IS YELLING. SO IN HER STYLE I WILL SAY, I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!
-Margaret Cho Love, Mom is a hilarious look at what happens when interfering, maddening, kvetching, querying, and loving moms push the `send' button. This is a great book for anyone who ever looked at her email inbox and said, `Oh, no--it's from my...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Love, Mom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love, Mom

Rachel Bussel
Reading these emails is somewhat like taking a tour through "cyberspace," circa the 1990's. In many of these notes, moms make goofy allusions to various forms of technology. In others, they find new and invasive ways of keeping up with their children. Some are very short and sweet, and others reveal things that moms might not be able to share with their adult kids in any other form. It's a perfect gift for a mom (or grandmother, even), but what's genius about it is that even the most tech-savvy...more
Marjanne
This is a short, light-hearted read about what you get when you combine baby-boomer mothers and technology (primarily email and IM). There are some pretty funny emails shared in this book. It's a little voyeuristic as some of them seem kind of personal and naturally the reader doesn't know either the sender or recipient or any other clarifying info about that email. I suspect that some of them are only funny because they are essentially taken out of context. But, overall, there's a lot of sweetn...more
Susan Howson
Guys, this is a good Mother's Day present. Well, actually, it may be a terrible present because I'm not sure my mom will get how ridiculous and lovable these emails/IM conversations from people's moms are, and even if she does get it, I'm not sure she'll recognize that I'm saying they are identical to hers. So maybe it's a good present for someone who has a mom and...likes to read books about them?
Trena
The Kindle format for this book was TERRIBLE. Some things were italicized, and some were Roman. However, the font was not used to differentiate one vignette from the next. They were just employed randomly. It was difficult to tell when one item ended and the next began. I'm sure this book is much more charming in a well-designed format, but it was unreadable on Kindle.
Trudy
I can identify obliquely with this book. My mom mostly sends me cards or voice mails, but in the past year has started getting into the email. However, she shares an email address with my stepdad, so it usually takes half an email to realize it is her, as he emails me much more often. If she starts IMing once she retires I may find it scary.
Carissa
This was pretty fun--laugh out loud at times, dragged a little at others. I could've gone for it more if it kept to the emails rather than including the sections describing famous TV moms, that was a little random & not very entertaining if you never watched the particular show on which the character existed.
Rebekah Crain
Based on the title and book blurb I was expecting this book to be way funnier than it was. I mean, there were definitely a few chuckle inspiring pieces, but as a whole I found the book rather unfunny and bland. Glad I only paid $1 for this at the Dollar Tree.
Jenny
May 22, 2012 Jenny rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All Moms
Recommended to Jenny by: No one. Found it in the bargain books at WalMart
I really enjoyed this book and as much as I hate to admit it, I can relate wth some of the email messages included in its pages! I laughed a lot, but I also cried occasionally because some of the emails could have been sent by me.

Barbara Bryan
I was so looking forward to it, love Postcards from Yo Momma website. it was boring, not funny, fairly terrible. Only got through because it was baby sized.
Cymiki
while the premise is entertaining - emails to kids away from home - the execution through short emails did not interest me enough to care.....
Anna Piranha
read the blog instead-- postcards from yo mamma. The book is light on original content and that content is pretty snotty.
I was already a fan of the website that spawned the book (www.postcardsfromyomomma) and the book didn't disappoint.
Ann
Funny, in spots, but mostly kind of dumb. I don't know any moms who are like this.
Sheila
Boring. Rushed to get through it. Not as funny as I thought it would be.
Tracy
Does your mom send kooky things via email?
Candice
Not as funny as I had anticipated. A quick read.
Lindsay
Very cute and funny.
Tara
Tara added it
Apr 06, 2014
Jules
Jules marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Kate Hill
Kate Hill marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Janis
Janis marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2013
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2013
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2013