Start by marking “Love, Mom: Poignant, Goofy, Brilliant Messages from Home” as Want to Read:
Love, Mom: Poignant, Goofy, Brilliant Messages from Home

Love, Mom: Poignant, Goofy, Brilliant Messages from Home

MY MOTHER SENDS ME EMAILS IN ALL CAPS SO IT ALWAYS SEEMS LIKE SHE IS YELLING. SO IN HER STYLE I WILL SAY, I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!
-Margaret Cho Love, Mom is a hilarious look at what happens when interfering, maddening, kvetching, querying, and loving moms push the `send' button. This is a great book for anyone who ever looked at her email inbox and said, `Oh, no--it's from my
Published April 1st 2009 by Hachette Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Love, Mom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love, Mom

Rachel Kramer Bussel
Apr 06, 2009 Rachel Kramer Bussel rated it it was amazing
Reading these emails is somewhat like taking a tour through "cyberspace," circa the 1990's. In many of these notes, moms make goofy allusions to various forms of technology. In others, they find new and invasive ways of keeping up with their children. Some are very short and sweet, and others reveal things that moms might not be able to share with their adult kids in any other form. It's a perfect gift for a mom (or grandmother, even), but what's genius about it is that even the most tech-savvy ...more
Marjanne
Aug 06, 2009 Marjanne rated it liked it
This is a short, light-hearted read about what you get when you combine baby-boomer mothers and technology (primarily email and IM). There are some pretty funny emails shared in this book. It's a little voyeuristic as some of them seem kind of personal and naturally the reader doesn't know either the sender or recipient or any other clarifying info about that email. I suspect that some of them are only funny because they are essentially taken out of context. But, overall, there's a lot of sweetn ...more
Susan Howson
May 01, 2009 Susan Howson rated it really liked it
Guys, this is a good Mother's Day present. Well, actually, it may be a terrible present because I'm not sure my mom will get how ridiculous and lovable these emails/IM conversations from people's moms are, and even if she does get it, I'm not sure she'll recognize that I'm saying they are identical to hers. So maybe it's a good present for someone who has a mom and...likes to read books about them?
Trudy
Apr 09, 2009 Trudy rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-stars
I can identify obliquely with this book. My mom mostly sends me cards or voice mails, but in the past year has started getting into the email. However, she shares an email address with my stepdad, so it usually takes half an email to realize it is her, as he emails me much more often. If she starts IMing once she retires I may find it scary.
Trena
Jan 11, 2013 Trena rated it it was ok
The Kindle format for this book was TERRIBLE. Some things were italicized, and some were Roman. However, the font was not used to differentiate one vignette from the next. They were just employed randomly. It was difficult to tell when one item ended and the next began. I'm sure this book is much more charming in a well-designed format, but it was unreadable on Kindle.
Carissa
Jul 28, 2013 Carissa rated it liked it
This was pretty fun--laugh out loud at times, dragged a little at others. I could've gone for it more if it kept to the emails rather than including the sections describing famous TV moms, that was a little random & not very entertaining if you never watched the particular show on which the character existed.
Rebekah Crain
Oct 25, 2012 Rebekah Crain rated it it was ok
Based on the title and book blurb I was expecting this book to be way funnier than it was. I mean, there were definitely a few chuckle inspiring pieces, but as a whole I found the book rather unfunny and bland. Glad I only paid $1 for this at the Dollar Tree.
Jenny
May 19, 2012 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Moms
Recommended to Jenny by: No one. Found it in the bargain books at WalMart
I really enjoyed this book and as much as I hate to admit it, I can relate wth some of the email messages included in its pages! I laughed a lot, but I also cried occasionally because some of the emails could have been sent by me.

Anna Piranha
Jul 15, 2009 Anna Piranha rated it it was ok
read the blog instead-- postcards from yo mamma. The book is light on original content and that content is pretty snotty.
Tracy
Jul 13, 2009 Tracy rated it liked it
Does your mom send kooky things via email?
Barbara Bryan
Jun 08, 2010 Barbara Bryan rated it did not like it
I was so looking forward to it, love Postcards from Yo Momma website. it was boring, not funny, fairly terrible. Only got through because it was baby sized.
Jun 19, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
I was already a fan of the website that spawned the book (www.postcardsfromyomomma) and the book didn't disappoint.
Cymiki
Sep 15, 2009 Cymiki rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
while the premise is entertaining - emails to kids away from home - the execution through short emails did not interest me enough to care.....
Ann
Sep 19, 2011 Ann rated it liked it
Funny, in spots, but mostly kind of dumb. I don't know any moms who are like this.
Sheila
Sep 02, 2012 Sheila rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012
Boring. Rushed to get through it. Not as funny as I thought it would be.
Lindsay
Apr 17, 2009 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Very cute and funny.
Candice
Apr 07, 2012 Candice rated it it was ok
Not as funny as I had anticipated. A quick read.
Monica
Monica rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2009
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2015
Laura rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2010
Laura rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2012
Diana
Diana rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2009
Karen
Karen rated it it was ok
Apr 19, 2010
Dana Giusti
Dana Giusti rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2011
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2012
Claire
Claire rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2010
Nicole Casaletto
Nicole Casaletto rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2009
Lora
Lora rated it it was ok
May 16, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
Doree Shafrir is a senior culture writer at BuzzFeed News and has written for New York Magazine, Slate, The Awl, Rolling Stone, Wired and other publications. A former resident of Brooklyn, she now lives in Los Angeles with her husband Matt Mira, a comedy writer and podcaster, and their dog Beau.
More about Doree Shafrir...