Start by marking “Samuel Johnson: The Major Works” as Want to Read:
Samuel Johnson: The Major Works

Samuel Johnson: The Major Works

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  231 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Samuel Johnson's literary reputation rests on such a varied output that he defies easy description: poet, critic, lexicographer, travel writer, essayist, editor, and, thanks to his good friend Boswell, the subject of one of the most famous English biographies.
This volume celebrates Johnson's astonishing talent by selecting widely across the full range of his work. It incl
Published April 1st 2009 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published June 1925)

To ask other readers questions about Samuel Johnson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Samuel Johnson

Lotz
Jun 15, 2016 Lotz rated it really liked it
While an authour is yet living we estimate his powers by his worst performance, and when he is dead we rate them by his best.

By the time you put down Boswell’s Life of Samuel Johnson, you are left with a very peculiar portrait of the man. Boswell’s Johnson is a bull, who tramples bystanders in a stampede of wit. He is arrogant, overbearing, stubborn, and delightfully epigrammatic—the kind of man you would like to overhear, but would not wish to talk to. So cartoonish, in fact, did Johnson appe
kaelan
Nov 07, 2013 kaelan rated it it was amazing
I like to think that reading this book—an activity which has occupied me for about the last year of my life—has been rather akin to an arranged marriage. What began without love—or, at most, the minutest spark of attraction—has developed, over the arduous months, into a bond of considerable strength. I can't say that I love Johnson; but I feel, for better or for worse, that he is a part of me now.

The following sub-reviews concern what I deem to be the most important works in this collection, and
Jeff Crompton
Mar 24, 2011 Jeff Crompton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I'm weird. I have an unaccountable affinity for Samuel Johnson, that giant of the 18th century, whose work is often considered ponderous and dated these days. He was conservative, moralistic, and religiously orthodox; these are all traits which don't appeal to me. But I love his writing - a good portion of it, anyway. There's a melancholy in much of his work which touches me - an awareness that much of what happens to us is out of our hands, and that life is short, and death is certain.

Hi
Joseph
Apr 15, 2012 Joseph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Because of the influence of Harold Bloom and Michael Wenzl, I have become a Johnsonian reader (to say that I am a Johnsonian critic is perhaps going too far and overtly flattering myself), and I am consistently amazed by my conversations with people who have no basis for analyzing or evaluating human creativity beyond, "duh, I don't know, I just liked it." Aesthetic pleasure as a critical paradigm is fine, but please learn to enunciate that, people. You might start in the training of your brain ...more
Daniel Klawitter
Nov 11, 2014 Daniel Klawitter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. Highly quotable. A justly honored essayist and wit of English letters.

"Many of the books which now crowd the world may be justly suspected to be written for the sake of some invisible order of beings, for surely they are of no use to any of the corporeal inhabitants of the world." ---from Johnson's 1757 "Review Of Soame Jenyns."
Sebastian
Sep 19, 2015 Sebastian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Likely the greatest prose writer in English. Clear, to the point, and with forceful eloquence; one of the few writers where your main thought is: "I wish I could write this well"
Fay
Dec 18, 2007 Fay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
He had lots of smart things to say. Of course the quicker way to find out what they were is to google "Samuel Johnson quotes."
Robert
Dec 10, 2008 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
A giant of the 18th century. There was no aspect of human striving that he did not comment on.
Jeremy
Read parts of this for my Neoclassicism seminar with Bruce Rose at BJU.
Caron
A nice, (and concise) reference book if you like Johnson's work.
Sailor
Sailor marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Lance M
Lance M marked it as to-read
Dmitry Nikolaev
Dmitry Nikolaev rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Ina
Ina is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2016
Maqroll
Maqroll rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
MJ B
MJ B marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Zac
Zac added it
Jul 31, 2016
Robby
Robby marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Vera Tudor
Vera Tudor marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Stefan Ketelsen
Stefan Ketelsen marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Max Molyneaux
Max Molyneaux marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Laurens
Laurens marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Claude Bunce
Claude Bunce marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Courtney Bolak
Courtney Bolak marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Ryan Mcintire
Ryan Mcintire marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Rebekah Grace
Rebekah Grace rated it it was ok
  • The Poems of Alexander Pope: A reduced version of the Twickenham Text
  • John Donne - The Major Works: Including Songs and Sonnets and Sermons
  • The Life of Samuel Johnson
  • The Complete Poems
  • The Major Works: including Astrophil and Stella (Oxford World's Classics)
  • The Major Works
  • The Major Works
  • The Complete Works of Francois Rabelais
  • Brief Lives
  • Confessions of an English Opium-Eater & Other Writings
  • Selected Writings
  • The Yeats Reader, Revised Edition: A Portable Compendium of Poetry, Drama, and Prose
  • Selections from The Tatler and The Spectator
  • The Canterbury Tales: Fifteen Tales and the General Prologue (A Norton Critical Edition)
  • Collected Poems of Thomas Hardy (Wordsworth Poetry) (Wordsworth Poetry Library)
  • The Complete Works
Samuel Johnson was an English author. Beginning as a Grub Street journalist, he made lasting contributions to English literature as a poet, essayist, moralist, novelist, literary critic, biographer, editor and lexicographer. Johnson has been described as "arguably the most distinguished man of letters in English history". He is also the subject of one of the most celebrated biographies in English, ...more
More about Samuel Johnson...