Start by marking “Anarchism: A Collection of Revolutionary Writings” as Want to Read:
Anarchism: A Collection of Revolutionary Writings

Anarchism: A Collection of Revolutionary Writings

Important writings by the leading theorist of anarchism, including the brief but moving "Spirit of Revolt," "Law and Authority," an argument for social control through custom and education, and other documents. An invaluable addition to the libraries of instructors, students, and anyone interested in history, government, and anarchist thought.
Published January 4th 2002 by Dover Publications (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Anarchism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anarchism

Morgan
Aug 30, 2011 Morgan rated it really liked it
This was a rather interesting book to read. It lays out the principals and inspirations of anarchist thought fairly clearly. While Kropotkin doesn't write in an overly ornate or elaborate fashion, he also avoids oversimplifying his style to the point of simply being boring or insulting either. It's clear the author was passionate in his beliefs, and he does a very good job of laying out his plan for what an anarchist society should look like in clear and concrete terms, rather than simply leavin ...more
Ioli Psycchobuddha
Oct 25, 2014 Ioli Psycchobuddha rated it it was amazing
Amazing, even those most critical of anarchism will be swayed by Kropotkin's direct and arousing call to action . While reading this book, don't be surprised if you sit back for a few minutes wondering how smart a person can be. I recommend it to anyone beginning to get into political philosophy, regardless of their political inclinations. Using the science of evolution and morals, Kropotkin leads us towards a society which might not be as unatainable as previously thought..
James
Apr 21, 2012 James rated it really liked it
Peter Kropotkin (1842-1921) was a member of the Russian aristocracy who became one of the leading theorists of anarchism. He spent most of his adult life in exile, mainly in England. This book is an anthology of his writings on anarchism. His view of anarchism is essentially idealistic , viewing it as a "natural phenomenon" (p 236). He was revolutionary, but opposed the excesses of the Russian Revolution, looking to a future where individuals could work in voluntary groups to accomplish their en ...more
Steven P.R.
Jun 17, 2014 Steven P.R. rated it it was amazing
This is a solid book that lays down the fundamentals of Anarchist thought. Anarchism, in our own day, is stigmatized, and alludes to violence and chaos, but this is not what Kropotkin is defining. In his collection of essays, he is referring to a communal way of life where people govern and regulate their own actions, where they do not need the state/government to mediate their affairs.

This book is ambitious and makes the case for a society without coercion, where people could look after themse
Neil
Jul 17, 2015 Neil rated it it was ok
Shelves: confused, philosophy
I found this book not interesting. It was not the good experience for me.Or may be I don't believe in anarchism philosophy. Some times I feel that anarchism is a part of my thinking but after reading this book I certainly don't think so. The writer has passion in his writing and the hate for science and its misuse as well as growing inequalities on economic as well as social parameters are the best of his work. I will probably read this book again to understand in proper manner in the context of ...more
Benjamin
Sep 12, 2007 Benjamin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: resistance
There is a bit about prisons in here that is great, and also one on ethics that is wonderful. I guess Kropotkin got pissed off cuz a bunch of anarchos were just 'borrowing' books from the anarchist book store and not bringing 'em back... it's anarchy, dude! and he had to school 'em, so that's why his essay on ethics. ever since i read that, i've been noticing that some of the people most opposed to even talking about anarchism are the ones most likely to be breaking the rules in the system they ...more
Pritom Ghum
Jun 30, 2015 Pritom Ghum rated it really liked it
এনলাইটমেনট এর কলাসিকাল উদারনীতি ধারা মানুষ সমপরকে যে গুরুতবপূরন দুটি পরতযয় ঘোষণা করে, “মানুষ মাতরই সবাধীনতাকামী’ এবং “ মানুষ মাতরই যৌকতিক” তার সমভবত সরবোচচ জঞানতাততবিক ও দৃষটিভঙগীগত পরকাশ এনারকিজম। সমভবত মহততম ও। কেননা সে রাষটর ও বযকতি মানুষের সংঘাতকে বোঝে এবং সে সকল পরকার হসতকষেপকে বিলুপত ঘোষনা করে।তবে আমি সনদিহান,হয়তো এটি ইউটোপিয়া । যদি ইউটোপিয়া হয়, তবে এ যাবত কালের সবচেয়ে সুনদরতম মোড়কে মোড়ানো ইউটোপিয়া। সময়েই উততর দিবে। ...more
Christopher Brennan
Dec 30, 2014 Christopher Brennan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Of course not everything in a book first published in 1927 will retain its currency but this holds up well. I'm not convinced that Kropotkin's anarchist communism (note lower case) is any more likely to work than any other version of communism. With 7.1 billion people the ship has sailed on stateless societies.

Overall his concepts about what constitute freedom are solid and there is value in his exploration of anarchism from both a philosophical and a practical standpoint.
Theshigen Navalingam
Sep 17, 2011 Theshigen Navalingam rated it really liked it
Kropotkin takes the approach of a scientist in explaining anarchism. He uses examples from natural science to prove his point of view. The whole minor rant about individualism and the contradictory emphasis in it later on is a minor dent in this otherwise very solid book on one of the least understood political ideologies.
Jared Harkness
Mar 05, 2013 Jared Harkness rated it really liked it
I mean some of it is pretty outdated. The areas where he uses science to ground his theories is admirable, but rely on evolutionary group selection, which I'm pretty sure is dismissed by most evolutionary biologists these days.
Still, he's a great writer, and its well worth a read.
Nico Battersby
Jul 26, 2016 Nico Battersby rated it liked it
Interesting read, particularly the piece on the emergence of revolution. But I found Kropotkin too idealist - his ideas are not a true reflection of reality. This, however, is why we read; to broaden our minds
Kafkasfriend
Sep 02, 2014 Kafkasfriend rated it liked it
An autobiography much more about his early life than his political life, covering the high speed adventurous youth of his mapping of Siberia, meeting with exiles and some hints at the abuses of the Tzar, so often ignored by the West.
Hector Bajalan
Dec 28, 2007 Hector Bajalan added it
Recommends it for: cyn
great and cohersive..
Mark Noce
Oct 22, 2009 Mark Noce rated it liked it
Don't be fooled by the title. You don't need to agree with everything in here to find it interesting and elements of it worthwhile.
Pauline
Feb 05, 2008 Pauline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-nonfic
I was never a big philosophy buff, but I discovered Kropotkin in my AP European History reader. It's still a great read and one of the few philosophers I find to be an enjoyable read.
Hugo Filipe
Oct 19, 2016 Hugo Filipe rated it really liked it
I don't know who the hell are most people Kropotkin writes about, but good book nonetheless.
Erik
Erik rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2013
Adam White
Adam White rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2013
Kristian
Kristian rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2016
James Schmittened
James Schmittened rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Famespeare
Famespeare rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2012
Heather Schwartz
Heather Schwartz rated it it was ok
Nov 11, 2009
Trotsky Karakaya
Trotsky Karakaya rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Raffaello Palandri
Raffaello Palandri rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Janne
Janne rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2014
Phil Cope
Phil Cope rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2014
D.a.r.y.l.
D.a.r.y.l. rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2008
Steven Rumfelt
Steven Rumfelt rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2014
Ashraf
Ashraf rated it really liked it
May 19, 2015
  • On Anarchism
  • No Gods No Masters: An Anthology of Anarchism
  • Anarcho-Syndicalism: Theory and Practice
  • Post-Scarcity Anarchism
  • What Is Property?
  • Black Flame: The Revolutionary Class Politics of Anarchism and Syndicalism (Counter-Power vol 1)
  • Anarchism: Arguments For and Against
  • Demanding the Impossible: A History of Anarchism
  • Fragments of an Anarchist Anthropology
  • Anarchy
  • Free Women of Spain: Anarchism and the Struggle for the Emancipation of Women
Pyotr Alexeyevich Kropotkin (Пётр Алексеевич Кропоткин) was a geographer, a zoologist, and one of Russia's foremost anarchists. One of the first advocates of anarchist communism, Kropotkin advocated a communist society free from central government. Because of his title of prince, he was known by some as "the Anarchist Prince". Some contemporaries saw him as leading a near perfect life, including O ...more
More about Pyotr Kropotkin...

“It is only those who do nothing who makes no mistake.” 40 likes
“...this 'fecundity of will,' this thirst for action, when accompanied by poverty of feeling and intellect incapable of creation, will produce nothing but a Napoleon I or a Bismarck, wiseacres who try to force the world to progress backwards. While on the other hand, mental fertility destitute of well developed sensibility will bring forth such barren fruits as literary and scientific pedants who only hinder the advance of knowledge. Finally, sensibility unguided by large intelligence will produce such persons as the woman ready to sacrifice everything for some brute of a man, upon whom she pours forth all her love.

If life is to be fruitful, it must be so at once in intelligence, in feeling and in will. This fertility in every direction is life; the only thing worthy the name.”
7 likes