Start by marking “La sinistra segheria (Una serie di sfortunati eventi, #4)” as Want to Read:
La sinistra segheria (Una serie di sfortunati eventi, #4)

La sinistra segheria (A Series of Unfortunate Events #4)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  95,615 Ratings  ·  2,201 Reviews
"La sinistra segheria" è probabilmente quello che racconta le vicende più infelici degli orfani Baudelaire. Violet, Klaus e Sunny sono spediti a lavorare in una segheria a Meschinopoli, dove incontrano sciagure e disgrazie dietro ogni tronco d'albero. Sono spiacente di informarvi che le pagine di questo libro contengono cose assai sgradevoli, come ad esempio una gigantesca ...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Salani (first published April 15th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about La sinistra segheria, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sofia Actually, once you keep reading the other books, your questions will be answered. It's a matter of time.

Apr 25, 2007 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids and adults who think like them
Lemony Snicket is fun, it's terribly depressing and highly entertaining. All the books make me feel like I'm 12 again, and I curl up on the couch, laughing out loud and eating gummy bears.
Georgina Ortiz
Apr 12, 2012 Georgina Ortiz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Favorite insight: It is much, much worse to receive bad news through the written word than by somebody simply telling you, and I'm sure you understand why. When somebody simply tells you bad news, you hear it once, and that's the end of it. But when bad news is written down, whether in a letter or a newspaper or on your arm in felt tip pen, each time you read it, you feel as if you are receiving the news again and again.
Jason Koivu
May 31, 2012 Jason Koivu rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Miserable indeed. Unfortunately this book in A Series of Unfortunate Events takes its title too literally. I enjoyed the first book and love the concept of put-upon children succeeding with no foreseeable hope on the horizon. However, the execution is too formulaic, mill-like if you will. I can put up with the repetition, because the author's bits of wit keep it fun, but this had less wit and more formula than the first three.

Riley
This one has always been my least favorite of the series
Richard Denney
3 STARS

This wasn't as good as the first three, that's for sure. I'm hoping that the 5th redeems the fourth and that it's more exciting than this one was. I did love that Count Olaf was in drag haha I'm interested to see how they adapt this one considering it was kind of boring and really felt like a filler book to be honest. I still enjoyed it though. :)

Now on to "The Austere Academy"!!

- Richard
Larissa
I'm not sure I have adequate words to describe my reaction to this book.

I think I need more time to digest. I feel like I stepped out of the Twilight Zone, and I'm suffering from a rare form of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

EDIT: I have now changed my final rating to three stars. After reading book 5, it's become clear to me that the pacing and tone of this book is far too irrepressibly dreary, even for an unhappy story like the Baudelaire's. It felt a lot like being battered by a particularly
Natt BookEuphoria
I read this in a day, today. This book was great and action packed. The only thing is that I feel that it is taking quite a unrealistic turn as the same formula is repeated. I do not mind the repetition of the formula but in a reasonable way. By this book I am seriously thinking, doesnt Count Olaf have anything better to do than to make the lies of three kids a living hell. I think that it would have been 100 times easier for him to just rob the bank with the Baudelaire fortune. The hypnosis thi ...more
Octavia
Aug 20, 2016 Octavia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-star
Mini Review: 2 1/2 stars. This one might be my least favorite so far. I think it was certainly the most "unfortunate", with the Baudelaire's being sent off to work in a lumber mill. The setting of the lumber mill wasn't pleasant to read about and the plot felt more formulaic than the others. I still think it was an entertaining read, even if it is my least favorite of the first four. Fingers crossed this series doesn't become repetitive...
Stewart
These are really pretty crappy books. The jokey self-referential writing (which was already tiresome by the end of the first book) is just irritating after the umpteenth repetition, the characters are unsympathetic (in the case of the main characters), one-dimensional (everyone else), or obnoxious (the narrator), and the plot repetitive and predictable. It's a good thing I'm a devoted dad and if my son wants me to read these to him at bedtime, I'll grit my teeth and read 'em. But I don't have to ...more
Liam
Aug 29, 2016 Liam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so much better than I remember it being when I read it as a kid!

I loved how in this one Count Olaf didn't pop up straight away as it was gripping to read and to eerily await his arrival!

I'll never stop saying this but Snicket really does have such an incredible writing style!! He creates such intriguing and fascinating characters in such real yet peculiar worlds!

I'm definitely going to have to reread this series now and I am so excited!
Kat Thomas
Mar 01, 2011 Kat Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a series these books are incredible. The formulaic plot that is repeated in every book satisfies the child who is being read to's expectation of what's going on, right and wrong and the band of simple characters.

Where the books become really clever is the additional bits of plot woven into the anecdotes, dedications and acknowledgments, written for the older reader, whether parents reading aloud or older children.

The humour is clever, beautifully insightful and infinitely quotable. Type Lem
Deborah Markus
Jun 05, 2015 Deborah Markus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-a-copy
I've already read this on the page, and just now listened to the recorded edition, which is read by the author. If Snicket himself had read the entire series, I would have simply enjoyed it; but it's horribly unfair to ask any reader to follow Tim Curry, who read the first two books. Snicket's reading is sweet and heartfelt; it's just that Curry's is brilliant, especially when it comes to Count Olaf. Also, I think it's fair to say that Snicket writes with a British accent but speaks with an Amer ...more
Yaprak Eken
Jun 20, 2016 Yaprak Eken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
An eye doctor called Dr. Orwell. Yes.
Kimberley doruyter
my dear god where does po find these people?
it goes from bad to worse.
Mikayla
Mar 18, 2016 Mikayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one is so far the most miserable one. I enjoyed this one more than the previous book as you can tell with me managing this one in a day.

This one wasn't in the movie and I think that explains why I enjoyed it so much, because I didn't know what was going to happen (and knowing the same stereotypical stuff at the same time).

Great instalment to the series, a huge 5 stars from me.
Mel
Reread 2015. I read these when I was very young, and now I'm trying to get through the entire series since I never finished the last book. I need to know how this series ends.
Plínio Mendes
Sep 16, 2016 Plínio Mendes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Talvez 3.5...
“Os órfãos Baudelaire estavam vivos, e, se pensarmos bem, na verdade a sorte que tiveram talvez tenha sido mesmo exorbitante.”

Concordo com o autor quando ele diz que esse talvez seja o volume mais triste até agora, e digo mais: esse me pareceu o mais pesado da série até o momento. E foi ai que surgiram alguns problemas.
Em vez de explorar melhor a relação dos Baudelaire nesse cenário intenso e violento, o Lemony optou por mostrar o desenvolvimento de cada um de forma distinta, o que
Ariel
Oh this family. Oh this author. Oh this series. How am I supposed to count the ways that I love it? This morbid humor is right up my alley and the plain silliness is delightful. I honestly think is the perfect series for children to introduce them to dark humor, to introduce them to something new and different that they might not interact with. Some people might argue that they dislike how repetitive the writing style is or how Sunny vocalizes and then Snicket translates for the reader, but this ...more
Tanja
Jun 01, 2016 Tanja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review, read-2016
Das ursprüngliche Zuhause dieser Rezension ist der WortWelten-Blog:

Zusammenfassung:

Nachdem mit Tante Josephine nun schon ihr zweiter Vormund den bösen Machenschaften von Graf Olaf zum Opfer gefallen ist, steckt der Bankangestellte und für Violet, Sunny und Klaus verantwortliche Mr. Poe die drei Geschwister nun in eine Sägemühle und damit zu einem Mann, der sich selbst nur "Boss" nennt. Und damit beginnt das neuerliche Elend. Denn nicht nur, dass alle drei Kinder i
Jude
Apr 06, 2015 Jude rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

I really enjoy the Author's writing, whether it is as Lemony Snicket or Daniel Handler, but at least in this particular series it has been getting a little repetitive - it is the exact same storyline in every book. I know that there's a mane plot, obviously, but each book so far has followed the same formula:

Orphan kids
+ Bad Guardian
+ Count Olaf
+ Underestimated kids

-------------------------
= Bad & frustrating situation. Always.

It is the exact same thing over and over - the only change
Nicholas Karpuk
Sep 26, 2010 Nicholas Karpuk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book literally sat in a pile of items ready for a trip to the used book store. I read the first three books belonging to Lemony Snickets series, and while I find the prose and humor deeply amusing, and Dahl-style sensibility enjoyable, the formula began to wear on me by the end of the third book.

Fortunately for me, a review of children's entertainment worth adult reading sited this series and said that it strayed away from the formula in the later books. Since virtually any of these books t
Vivian
Apr 15, 2016 Vivian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, 2016
2nd #genrethon read
3.5
As with the previous books, this was very entertaining and smart with great attention to detail but the repitiveness is starting to really bother me. It's the same format every time. This was also the most morbid of the four books so far, in my opinion.
C.W.
Mar 09, 2016 C.W. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Finished last week. 2.5-3ish. Didn't like this one as much as the others. Which is sad, because I thought the premise could've been the most interesting so far.
Kristina
My least favourite so far but still pretty good :)
Joshua Springs
First off, This book was way more violent than I thought it was. Like someone gets sawed in half.
Second, I am seeing a trend. He always makes a point at the end that while the story is unfortunate and not happy and the situation just kind of all around sucks, that there is some hope for the kids in the end. I don't think I caught that before. Actually I know I didn't because I was an ungrateful little punk (read: I was eleven), and I could not understand quality literature back then as I do now
Mia  Bakhthiar
A beautiful albeit tragic ending, as usual. I liked this one, though a few of the running themes were recurrent and predictable. Still, it was an enjoyable read.
Lucy Somerhalder
Feb 13, 2016 Lucy Somerhalder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books are so funny, and so great at continually subverting gender stereotypes.
SuperHeroQwimm
My least favorite so far, I'm hoping the next one sparks my interest a bit more.
John Velo
Apr 19, 2016 John Velo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listenedto
The first 2 books were great. But now, I feel like things are getting a little repetitive...
The Neverlanders: The Miserable Mill - Goodreads Discussion 4 13 Feb 01, 2015 02:10PM
The Neverlanders: The Miserable Mill - Voxer Discussion 1 8 Jan 30, 2015 08:32AM
The Nooks of Books: The Miserable Mill 1 1 Jan 28, 2015 03:44AM
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Search for Snake Eyes (Sammy Keyes, #7)
  • Molly Moon Stops the World (Molly Moon, #2)
  • The Wright 3 (Chasing Vermeer, #2)
  • Public Enemies (On The Run, #5)
  • The Edge Chronicles 6: Midnight Over Sanctaphrax: Third Book of Twig
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • Knightley Academy (Knightley Academy, #1)
  • Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris (Theodosia Throckmorton, #2)
  • The Haunting of Granite Falls
  • Hey Kid, Want to Buy a Bridge? (Time Warp Trio #11)
  • Magic and Other Misdemeanors (The Sisters Grimm, #5)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)

“They're book addicts.” 645 likes
“I'm sure you have heard it said that appearance does not matter so much, and that it is what's on the inside that counts. This is, of course, utter nonsense, because if it were true then people who were good on this inside would would never have to comb their hair or take a bath, and the whole world would smell even worse than it already does.” 84 likes