Start by marking “Fire and Rayne (Rayne, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fire and Rayne (Rayne, #2)

Fire and Rayne (Rayne #2)

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  280 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
The thrilling sequel to POSSESSED finds 16-year-old Rayne still entwined in the creepy history of Morton's Keep -- and about to discover that she's the only one who can stop the evil lurking there.

Rayne's countryside escape has proven to be anything but -- the remote mansion house where she lives and works holds terrible secrets, and she feels trapped there. And when a new
Published June 1st 2009 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Fire and Rayne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire and Rayne

The Host by Stephenie MeyerFirelight by Sophie JordanDeadly Cool by Gemma HallidayNightshade by Andrea CremerShatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
best "eye" on the cover
266th out of 707 books — 1,757 voters
Nightshade by Andrea CremerFallen by Lauren KateFirelight by Sophie JordanNorth of Beautiful by Justina ChenUnearthly by Cynthia Hand
Prettiest Girl On Cover
315th out of 737 books — 861 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelly
Jan 31, 2011 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I learned that Consumed (Fire and Rayne in the UK) was being released stateside, I was excited. I enjoyed the previous book, Possessed, and was eager to find out what lay in store for Rayne and for Morton’s Keep. Kate Cann has done a great job with this sequel, giving us a hair-raising tale that tops the first book and brings Rayne’s story to a thrilling conclusion.

Sir Simeon Lingwall’s modern-day pawn has been defeated and his basement chamber of horrors filled in with concrete — so why is
Shelby
Mar 05, 2016 Shelby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that it was better than the first book in the series. I thought this book was more interesting than the first book, but towards the ending of the first book it got better in the end. This one was kind of like that. I was more into the characters than the first book. I felt like we kind of had a connection.
Tessa
Apr 05, 2011 Tessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was so psyched to hear that there was a sequel to Possessed! I don't know if that book got the buzz it deserved.

Things I like about Possessed and Consumed:
1. It's not really paranormal, more like supernatural. There's a difference for me, maybe I'm thinking in marketing terms.
2. It's got a traditional mystery element mixed in because the main characters are just normal people trying to figure weird stuff out (ok, so Rayne has a connection to the Green Lady, but she's not, like, an angel or a
Schay
Aug 22, 2011 Schay rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I guess I didn't learn the first time around. This book was creepier than the first and I read it through the night. Kate Cann certainly knows how to incite feelings of paranoia...or maybe that's just me...
Leizel
Jun 27, 2014 Leizel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens who want a mystery and a thriller. I would also recommend it to any adults too.
'Consumed' was full of thrills and chills for me. I loved this book because of course I already read the first book and wanted the story to go on, but also because it really just hopped right into the action. I can actually say that I liked the second book more than the first because the beginning wasn't as boring, but I suppose books have to be boring to give important details for later. Anyway I would definitely reread the series (like I said in my review for 'Possessed') and it was just too g ...more
Louise
One of my favourite books ever! Loved it! It had everything, horror, mystery and romance. I recommend this to everyone!
Fiendishly Bookish
One of the things I love about Kate Cann is the way both Possessed and Fire & Rayne invoke the mixed serenity and severity of nature rather than with “paranormal” elements. Cann embraces all nature’s powers and the worship of the Green Lady as her literary mysticism. Her lead has no telepathic powers, no vampire or werewolf friends but simply, a burgeoning affinity for the natural world.

With her mixed heritage, Rayne Peters is a child of the earth, and a favorite of the Green Lady. This rev
Somo
Aug 09, 2010 Somo rated it it was ok
Well... I fell in love with the first book Possessing Rayne because of the absolutely beautiful way Kate Cann described the setting. How Rayne would wake up to the smell of burnt wood, with the sun slipping in through the curtains, how she'd walk out of her sty and feel the wet grass between her toes and take in the blissful silence around her.
I even wrote a poem about it, can you believe it?
Ever since I read the last page of that book I've had the urge to do exactly what Rayne did; get out of t
Caroline
Mar 20, 2012 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
I cannot say how much I love these books. I found the first book back when I would roam Shelfari for hours. The story was not what I was expecting. I was expecting a haunted house type story and ended up getting one about ancient evil and the battle to keep it from being released.

I was quite excited to find book two at my library. I was going to wait to obuy it so I could own both, but I just couldn't help myself! i really think This book was better than the first.

The main thing I love about the
Sam at A Journey Through Pages
Review from A Journey Through Pages

Rayne returns in Consumed tackling an even bigger problem than before in the Keep. Yes, bigger. I enjoyed this book just as much as Possessed. I love the mystery, paranormal and haunted-ness of it all. As all of you know by now from my love affair with Karina Halle's Experiments in Terror Series, I love stories about hauntings.

There is also something about these books that remind me of the Nancy Drew books, which I know sound crazy, but the way the mystery unfo
Kim Smiley
I didn't know if I was going to read this book only because I wasn't overly impressed with "Possessed," the first novel in the series. But, funny thing is I was kinda comfortable going back into this story. It was easy to read, just not a book that I couldn't put down.

So Rayne is still working at the "haunted, cursed house" and now she is upset because things arent' exactly working out with Ethan. They seem awkward together and when he finally did kiss her it didn't feel right and she thinks she
Karen
Consumed starts off where Possessed left off. Rayne + Ethan have just stopped St. John from unleashing the evil from Morton's Keep. But as we find out in Consumed, burning an old, evil dungeon where torture was carried out and breaking the spirit of St. John isn't the last of it.

In the aftermath, lots of changes comes to the Keep. Rayne isn't sure what to trust, but eventually she cannot deny that evil is still there, it's actually getting stronger, and she needs to be a part in stopping it.

I t
Emily
Apr 26, 2011 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, series
Oh, Rayne. Not even a day has passed since you found out that St John Arlington's been using you for a sinister, sick, twisted plot to bring back the evil that once consumed (ah! get it?) the manor of Morton's Keep and you've already moved on to the swarthy fire dancer, Ethan. Really? Yes, it's difficult to kiss him because all you see is St John's creepy face kissing you and dread fills your heart but you still look longingly towards Ethan as the new man in your life. Even when you suspect he a ...more
Diane Ferbrache
In this sequel to Possessed, Rayne is recovering from the harrowing experiences of the last few weeks. Although everyone is sure the worst is over, evil defeated, Rayne still has misgivings. She’s still seeing the Green Lady occasionally, and the changes at the Inn are disturbing. When animals begin showing up mutilated, and their locations coincide with the old legends, Rayne realizes that she is once again caught up in something horrifying.
Although it is possible to read this book without re
Simran
*This review contains some spoilers*

I started reading Consumed with low expectations. I wasn't a big fan of Possessed and sequels usually aren't better then the originals.
I was really surprised at how much I liked the book. I thought it was MUCH better then Possessed. I thought that the pacing was good. I really enjoyed the new villain, but was happy that St. John was still in the story.
One of the things I loved most was that the book started where the last one left off. The author could have
Kira
Jul 12, 2012 Kira rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When the cellar at Morton’s Keep has been burned and filled with cement, Raine hopes everything will get better. But, the evil doesn’t dissipate. Soon, a new manager is hired; one who want to embrace the Keep’s dark side. Then, Rayne starts finding dead creatures nailed to doors or on altars. People start turning up dead. The evil at the keep is growing. Who is causing it? Can Rayne and Ethan keep it away? Why does Rayne keep seeing the Green Lady?

The gothic images are vivid and engrossing. The
Emily (Heinlen) Davis
I have to say that I loved this book...even more than I loved the first one. There's something about Rayne that I just identify with so strongly that I can't help, but love her. I felt this sequel moved at a much quicker pace than the first book and was more detailed in regard to the historical context of the keep and the secrets surrounding it. I loved how Ethan and Rayne's relationship developed because it was absolutely true to how real relationship's act. In addition, when she went home, it ...more
Valerie
Excellent sequel to Possessed. Rayne is "consumed" with the spirit of the Green Lady, and must save Morton's Keep (again) from evil spirits. Nice twist involving new characters, plus a new love interest for Rayne.
Kathleen
May 06, 2011 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't feel like I had to read Posessed to be able to follow Rayne's experience and story. It had very nice flow to it and I felt like I could care about Rayne and her troubles. The only place I found a disconnect was when she took off for her mom's place and came into a horribly unwelcome environment, but I assume it is because I just don't know the whole story from not having read Posessed.
Amanda
Mrs. Cann did an AMAZING sequel. I was really hoping we hadn't seen the last of St. John but the new villain (Ms. Skelton) was especially treacherous!

I'm very sad to say the ending of this book seemed to be the end of Rayne and Morton's Keep...I can only hope there will be more stories to stay up late reading. But for now, the ending has pleased me!

Sharla
Jan 04, 2012 Sharla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up not knowing that it was #2 in a series. It wasn't really obvious until I started reading it, but I still got into the story. I felt like it told enough of the first story that I don't really need to read it now. I probably won't remember to go looking for any other books in the series, but if I come upon it I'll enjoy reading it.
Ashley Trueblood
This book was ok but I did not finish it, I got maybe 70 pages in and it just didn't hold my attention. I went right into reading tihs book after reading the first one, so I think I was just tired of the storyline completely, mainly because the second book was taking too long to get to the point and rehashed a lot of the first book continually.
Lyndsey
I'm not sure what made me like this book a little more than the first... it had many of the same issues that caused me to somewhat dislike the first. Perhaps just knowing Rayne and knowing what to expect took the pressure off this book.

Simply put, I didn't mind this book. It's a weak 3 stars, but I'd probably keep reading the series.
Claire Scott
Definitely not as good as Possessed. Still spooky, but way more predictable, with a Babysitter's-Club-style recap for the first three chapters.
Sharon
Jan 01, 2013 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is it cheating to have this as my first read of 2013! Well I did finish it on new years day!!

Anyway, this book was much better than the first one, though I still hover between 3 and 4 stars. It is not brilliant by far, and is quite an average storyline which I have seen many times before, though it was a decent read.
Stacy Place
May 03, 2012 Stacy Place rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I loved this book just as much as the first! I honestly can't wait to see these become films, just so I can see the magic of Morton's Keep come to life. I love how most of Rayne's world focuses on nature and pagan traditions and the characters are always so much fun. This was a great read and a great sequel!
Macy Smith
Beth Lopez
me medio gusto pero si estuvo un poco aburrido, es solo que se me hizo padre lo que le pasaba a esta rayne, interesante y misterioso e Ethan es un amor!! aunque aveses me desesperaba
Jaalyn Owens
Oct 22, 2012 Jaalyn Owens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was very interesting and it sucked me in the instant I open the book. Marvelous penmanship, great story line and plot. A great processor to Kate Cann's Possessed.
Louisa
Jul 01, 2012 Louisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Way better then the first book, though mostly still kinda bland, not really scary, but it was deeper, and I enjoyed it a lot better!
  • Broken Dream (Dark Angel, #3)
  • The Suburb Beyond the Stars (Norumbegan Quartet, #2)
  • Mayhem (Mystyx, #3)
  • Lark
  • Throat
  • Little Sister
  • Chasers (Being Human, #2)
  • Wishful Thinking (Wish, #2)
  • Unearthly Asylum (Joy of Spooking, #2)
  • Percival's Angel (Merlin's Harp, #3)
  • Spirits of the Noh (The Waking, #2)
  • Her Father's Daughter
  • Eyes in the Mirror
  • Future Imperfect (Future Imperfect, #1)
  • The Eternal Sea (Everlasting, #2)
  • Metro Winds
  • Breath of Angel (The Angelaeon Circle, #1)
  • Rage (Riders of the Apocalypse, #2)
When I was a child, I wanted to be a witch. My first foray into writing was a series of nasty spells full of rats’ tails and bats’ wings. Then, when I turned thirteen, I began keeping a lurid diary, full of adoration or loathing, depending on who I was writing about. I used my later diaries for the Diving In trilogy.

I never thought ‘I want to be a writer’, but I loved books and writing. At school
More about Kate Cann...

Rayne (2 books)
  • Possessed (Rayne, #1)

“We've a bond, haven't we, Goaty? Fellow victims. Partners in survival. Though God knows what my mum will say If I try and take him home...” 2 likes