Start by marking “Promenades dans le Paris Disparu” as Want to Read:
Promenades dans le Paris Disparu

Promenades dans le Paris Disparu

When he discovered that the city he lived in for many years was actually entirely rebuilt during the mid-1800s, Leonard Pitt plunged into Paris's history and began photographing what he learned had changed. Eventually, he led tours and gave lectures on the demolition and reconstruction that changed the city forever. Walks through Lost Paris chronicles Paris's great periods ...more
Published October 17th 2002 by Parigramme

To ask other readers questions about Promenades dans le Paris Disparu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promenades dans le Paris Disparu

Marcy Heller
Feb 01, 2013 Marcy Heller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have walked most of the streets in this book. And I have even blogged about some of the same buildings and neighborhoods, but Pitt's book adds a terrific amount of photographic research to compare streets, corner by corner, building by building, facade by facade. I am finding his documentation quite interesting and instructive. And I find the diagrams of which city blocks, or buildings were removed to widen streets, or to showcase areas quite illuminating.

In fact, today, I wandered anew the s
Tosh
Sep 15, 2007 Tosh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i wished I brought this book with me on this particular trip. Nevertheless I am finding new 'history'.

When we go to Paris now we're seeing the work of a specific gentleman: Georges-Eugene Haussmann. How did he affect this magnificent city? Well the answer is 'greatly.' This book will take you through the old Paris (before the mid-1800's) and expose a culture that existed and therefore destroyed. Fascinating.
Jeff
I’ve never seen a book quite like this one. The closest equivalents might be Jane Holtz Kay’s Lost Boston or Peter Vanderwarker’s Boston Then and Now. Before-and-after photographs of areas destroyed or radically altered in the creation of the Paris we are all familiar with (which is by no means as old as it appears to be), maps, plans, and a truly amazing amount of history (urban and otherwise) are all combined in a beautifully designed small package. I was particularly impressed by the very in ...more
Kseniya Melnik
Jul 07, 2015 Kseniya Melnik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Feet hurt/mind blown.
Lorraine
Nov 16, 2014 Lorraine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What did the pre-Hausman era Paris look like? This book was a great companion for self-guided walks in the older parts of the city that used photos and text to peel back time 100+ years and shared small and large details about a bygone era that helped me understand why they mattered. It was much more vivid and powerful to be standing in a location and reading about the history rather than simply reading the book anywhere.
Annabelle
Offert par mon frère pour mes 26 ans.

Collection remarquable avec beacoup de photos du Paris disparu (Marci la bibilothèque historique de Paris). Je possède aussi "Métro Insolite" qui propose des itinéraires...Pour les accros de l'architecture dans la mesure où ce livre peut s'averrer assez technique.
Asta Sinusas
Mar 31, 2014 Asta Sinusas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this before going to Paris, and thought it gave me an added familiarity with the city. It offered some historical nuggets and was a brief, enjoyable read. Recommended for tourists who want to read more than guidebook entries.
Tammy Crompton
Aug 05, 2012 Tammy Crompton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I loved Paris, this book takes you on a walking journey thru the streets of Paris today and then shows and tells you what the old Paris was before it was rebuilt or demolished. I found it quite interesting.
Katherine
Oct 15, 2007 Katherine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Lots o' great b&w photos.
Rat de bibliothèque
Features 4 different walks
GREAT information/history

Not exactly what I wanted right now - but will be worth looking at once more before my next visit or my eventual move.
Jimmie
Jun 25, 2016 Jimmie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating book about the demolition and reconstruction of Paris in the past several hundred years. What price progress?
Lesley Bell
Dec 12, 2013 Lesley Bell rated it it was amazing
Carefully selected walks, with maps, describing what was and what is, using historic pictures, postcards and the author's own photographs. Have poured over this book many times.
Darren L.
Darren L. rated it did not like it
Sep 27, 2007
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
May 15, 2014
Lolobull
Lolobull rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Helen
Helen rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Joe Canas
Joe Canas rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2014
Eduardo Chiaratti
Eduardo Chiaratti rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was ok
Feb 27, 2011
Stephen P
Stephen P rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2011
Drrichter
Drrichter rated it really liked it
May 06, 2014
R. Eric
R. Eric rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Jared
Jared rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2015
Michael Schafer
Michael Schafer rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2012
Terri Naughton
Terri Naughton rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2015
KK
KK rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2008
Jeff Wasel
Jeff Wasel rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2013
Margie
Margie rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2015
Rachel Tey
Rachel Tey rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Quiet Corners of Paris
  • Paris to the Past: Traveling through French History by Train
  • Into a Paris Quartier: Reine Margot's Chapel and Other Haunts of St. Germain
  • Paris Noir: The Secret History of a City
  • Shocking Paris: Soutine, Chagall and the Outsiders of Montparnasse
  • French or Foe?: Getting the Most Out of Visiting, Living and Working in France
  • Dawn of the Belle Epoque: The Paris of Monet, Zola, Bernhardt, Eiffel, Debussy, Clemenceau, and Their Friends
  • True Pleasures: A Memoir of Women in Paris