Start by marking “Promenades dans le Paris Disparu” as Want to Read:
Promenades dans le Paris Disparu

Promenades dans le Paris Disparu

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  12 reviews
When he discovered that the city he lived in for many years was actually entirely rebuilt during the mid-1800s, Leonard Pitt plunged into Paris's history and began photographing what he learned had changed. Eventually, he led tours and gave lectures on the demolition and reconstruction that changed the city forever. Walks through Lost Paris chronicles Paris's great periods ...more
Published October 17th 2002 by Parigramme

To ask other readers questions about Promenades dans le Paris Disparu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promenades dans le Paris Disparu

Marcy Heller
I have walked most of the streets in this book. And I have even blogged about some of the same buildings and neighborhoods, but Pitt's book adds a terrific amount of photographic research to compare streets, corner by corner, building by building, facade by facade. I am finding his documentation quite interesting and instructive. And I find the diagrams of which city blocks, or buildings were removed to widen streets, or to showcase areas quite illuminating.

In fact, today, I wandered anew the s
Tosh
i wished I brought this book with me on this particular trip. Nevertheless I am finding new 'history'.

When we go to Paris now we're seeing the work of a specific gentleman: Georges-Eugene Haussmann. How did he affect this magnificent city? Well the answer is 'greatly.' This book will take you through the old Paris (before the mid-1800's) and expose a culture that existed and therefore destroyed. Fascinating.
Jeff
I’ve never seen a book quite like this one. The closest equivalents might be Jane Holtz Kay’s Lost Boston or Peter Vanderwarker’s Boston Then and Now. Before-and-after photographs of areas destroyed or radically altered in the creation of the Paris we are all familiar with (which is by no means as old as it appears to be), maps, plans, and a truly amazing amount of history (urban and otherwise) are all combined in a beautifully designed small package. I was particularly impressed by the very in ...more
Lorraine
What did the pre-Hausman era Paris look like? This book was a great companion for self-guided walks in the older parts of the city that used photos and text to peel back time 100+ years and shared small and large details about a bygone era that helped me understand why they mattered. It was much more vivid and powerful to be standing in a location and reading about the history rather than simply reading the book anywhere.
Asta Sinusas
I read this before going to Paris, and thought it gave me an added familiarity with the city. It offered some historical nuggets and was a brief, enjoyable read. Recommended for tourists who want to read more than guidebook entries.
Annabelle
Offert par mon frère pour mes 26 ans.

Collection remarquable avec beacoup de photos du Paris disparu (Marci la bibilothèque historique de Paris). Je possède aussi "Métro Insolite" qui propose des itinéraires...Pour les accros de l'architecture dans la mesure où ce livre peut s'averrer assez technique.
Tammy Crompton
Okay, I loved Paris, this book takes you on a walking journey thru the streets of Paris today and then shows and tells you what the old Paris was before it was rebuilt or demolished. I found it quite interesting.
Rat de bibliothèque
Features 4 different walks
GREAT information/history

Not exactly what I wanted right now - but will be worth looking at once more before my next visit or my eventual move.
Lesley Bell
Carefully selected walks, with maps, describing what was and what is, using historic pictures, postcards and the author's own photographs. Have poured over this book many times.
Terrance Gelenter
A labor of love-Pitt knows where all the buildings are buried.
Terrance Gelenter
Even better in French! Parigramme makes beautiful books.
Katherine
Lots o' great b&w photos.
Daphne
Daphne marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Lynda
Lynda marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Eric Brightwell
Eric Brightwell marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Tine
Tine marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Ryan
Ryan added it
Jan 23, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Druie
Druie marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Los Angeles A to Z: An Encyclopedia of the City and County Decline of the Californios: A Social History of the Spanish-Speaking Californians, 1846-1890 Paris: A Journey Through Time A Small Moment of Great Illumination: Searching for Valentine Greatrakes, The Master Healer Paris Postcards: The Golden Age