Start by marking “The Vow: The Kim and Krickitt Carpenter Story” as Want to Read:
The Vow: The Kim and Krickitt Carpenter Story

The Vow: The Kim and Krickitt Carpenter Story

3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  22,712 Ratings  ·  1,800 Reviews
Life as Kim and Krickitt Carpenter knew it was shattered beyond recognition on November 24, 1993, two months after their marriage, when their Ford Escort was hit from behind by a fast-moving truck. A massive head injury left Krickitt in a coma for weeks. When she finally emerged from the coma, she recognized her parents and everyone else-but she didn't know Kim. She had no ...more
Published June 15th 2000 by Broadman & Holman Publishers

Jessica
Feb 12, 2012 Jessica rated it it was ok
I was very disappointed by this book, and I think this is one of those rare instances where the movie will actually be better than the book.

By now, I'm sure everyone knows the story - and since there's a movie, there's no room for ending spoils, which is why I'll go into detail about what I didn't like.

The way the book was written was not ideal - the bylines say Kim and Krickett Carpenter, yet only Kim narrated. I would've liked to hear what Krickett had to say. And Kim was very repetitive. Fo
Maria Espadinha
Jul 30, 2015 Maria Espadinha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outra Vez O Amor

É sempre bom dissertar sobre Amor:

Amor é fogo que arde sem se ver
É ferida que dói e não se sente
É um contentamento descontente...

Oooops, parece que já ouvi isto em qualquer lado
E se calhar vocês também ?!
Bom...recomecemos então:

O Amor é como Fernando Pessoa...
Aposto que esta nunca ouviram, hein?
Continuando:
O que terá então o Amor em comum com Fernando Pessoa?
Há por aí ideias?
Talvez dando algum tempo para pensar:...

Já pensaram?
Ora óptimo!
É isso mesmo: são os heterónimos, pois clar
Michelle
Apr 02, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can not say enough good things about this book. In my honest opinion I think it should be required reading for any couple going through premarital counseling. After completing this easy read I honestly wanted nothing more than to hug their necks and tell them Thank You for sharing such a courageous story of their infinite faith and devotion to each other and to God.

But let me address the two most common complaints with this book.

It's Preachy: ok you are reading an amazing story of the miracl
Melissa
Jul 23, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
If you're reading this book because you enjoyed the movie and want more of it, you'll be a bit shocked or confused when you read this. The movie is cute and Channing Tatum is a lot of fun to look at, but the love story in the movie completely leaves out the reason why they decided to keep their vows in such a terrible situation: they loved God and wanted to honor the commitment they made to him. So the book centers on that theme: honoring God and being faithful. I think it's a really beautiful s ...more
Margo
Feb 12, 2012 Margo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I went into this book thinking it was going to be a Nicholas Sparks novel- I was so wrong. It is an incredible story but lacked the romance I was hoping for.
Beth Fred
Jenifer
Apr 14, 2012 Jenifer rated it it was amazing
Five months ago my husband was in an accident and suffered a major head injury. So when my BBF dropped this book off to me yesterday. I was intrigued and read it from beginning to end. Our story is different in many ways. My husband remembered me but took time to remember others. We have been together for 18years and we already have children. But in many ways the thoughts and questions Kim had to work through are the same, the early days of my husband coming home were rough. Because of this the ...more
Joan Lattanzio
May 09, 2012 Joan Lattanzio rated it did not like it
Ugh. I decided to read the book that had been on the back of every shelf of every single library in the world (for good reason) because after seeing the trailer for the movie I was compelled to look for the book.. Being a reader myself and as im sure everyone thinks the same, books are always leagues aways from the movie.. So I started reading it, to make the story short I believe the movie will be better than the book. Something unheard of right? I havent seen it yet but ill give it that at lea ...more
Jenn
Mar 01, 2012 Jenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is our March book club book. After seeing the movie, I was very intrigued to read this book. It's a quick read. I really enjoyed hearing about how their faith helped them through this trail. It's a great reminder that God is there for all of us. One of my favorite quotes, ”We don't dwell on the bad times but look ahead to the amazing things we know God still has in store for us.” One more that I loved, ” if there is something missing in your life, seek the Lord. If you once had him in your ...more
Hillary Peters
Feb 22, 2012 Hillary Peters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Very, very inspirational book. It's amazing how the prayers were answered from God.
"Krickitt's soul can't be affected by any injury because it's immortal. Her faith will always be there. It's there now. We've seen it. God has preserved her for some great purpose, and her faith is there to carry through." The ending paragraph of this book really hit me, I love this book. I can't wait to see the movie, I hope it's very inspirational like the book.
Keri
Feb 19, 2012 Keri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a super quick read but it was for sure uplifting!! It reminds you that love can conquer all! We cant see the whole picture but He can, this book helps you in remembering to trust in God. Now to see the movie :)
Beatrice Masaluñga
Heartwarming and inspirational.

I like it, but some parts are somewhat redundant.
Yunita1987
Mar 28, 2012 Yunita1987 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buku ini bagus banget...buku ini bukanlah buku yg hanya menceritakan kisah romantis ataupun kisah perjuangan sang suami untuk menyelamatkan istrinya. Tetap banyak hal yang aq peroleh setelah baca buku ini. Yang pasti baca buku ini menyadarkan kepada kita kalau disaat kita memiliki banyak masalah janganlah khawatir tetapi serahkan semuanya kepada Tuhan dan jangan pernah berpikir kalau Tuhan jauh dari kita atau tidak mendengarkan doa kita. Karena Tuhan tau apa yang terbaik untuk kita.
Selain itu,
Paula Espadinha
Oct 09, 2013 Paula Espadinha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Já há algum tempo, fui presenteada com um livrinho adorável - the vow - que devorei numa hora, se tanto!

Trata-se duma história de amor, que não pertence ao reino da fantasia! É, para variar, bem real e por isso é tão especial!

Numa época em que os desentendimentos e divórcios estão na ordem do dia, o casal Carpenter apostou e investiu no Amor, mostrando-nos ser possível um relaccionamento durar e perdurar!

Quando terminamos este livro, por mais desilusões que tenhamos coleccionado, há um pensament
Cik Aini
I picked up this book after finding that people who downloaded books with similar taste with me also picked up this. I was intrigued upon seeing the cover, I realised then, the cover made me attracted to read the book.

The novel much basically covers Kim's whole point of view the first few chapters were interesting especially on how they met, fell in love and then, when the accident happened, life changed especially when Krickitt's short term memory of being married to Kim had been wiped out fro
Leo
Mar 09, 2014 Leo rated it really liked it
I came to know this book when I watched the movie (which was good but could be better) and I was curious to read the real story from the real people. The book is told by Kim Carpenter but not Krickitt and I wish that she had also told us her story and what she went through. I wanted to know what she felt when she suddenly woke up and discovered that she was married to a stranger, how she coped with that and what made her decide to fight for her marriage.
And although Kim tells his story, I expec
Jeanette
Kim Carpenter tells the gripping story of his whirlwind romance and marriage to Krikkit, followed two months later by a devastating three-vehicle accident that put his new wife into a comma. Miraculously, she survived the severe brain injury and coma - but she had lost all memories of meeting, courting, marrying, honeymooning and beginning a new life with her husband.

This is a book of great love and faith through huge obstacles that kept me glued to the page. Kim is courageously honest in retel
Nicole
Nov 18, 2011 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Glad I read this book . . . different from what my usual read . . . and Kim Carpenter's right in his message - their story gives people hope. . . I admire his patience and his love for Krickitt . . .

Overall: 4.0 stars!!!
Dana Arcuri
Jul 08, 2012 Dana Arcuri rated it liked it
Several months ago, my teenage daughter remarked that she wanted to see the movie, The Vow. When I was grocery shopping, I purchased the book in hope she would read the story. However, after the book sat for months unread, I decided to pick it up and check it out for myself.

This is when I discovered The Vow was based upon a true life story about Krickitt and Kim Carpenter. In 1992, the young couple met, bonded through their Christian faith and fell in love over a long distance phone call.

Shortl
Dianna Leblanc
Sep 11, 2015 Dianna Leblanc rated it it was amazing
After I read this heart filled book, I watched the emotional, tragic movie. This was a very tragic but fascinating story to read about. I enjoyed it very much and would probably read it again. I love reading about and experiencing others lives, I find it very interesting to see what others go through. This story was about a couple who had just got married and they thought they were starting their happy married life together, but a tragic accident turns their life and marriage around. Paige, the ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 06, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
In the beginning of the story, I found this book very, very boring. Once Krickitt got to the rehab center, things got interesting and I enjoyed this part the most. I loved how she still was connected to God through her journal even after forgetting a lot of other things. Also, she sounded normal in her journal, but not while speaking to Kim.

Now for the Cons, people.

1) I'm sorry, but who names their son Kimmer, and LETS people call him Kim? And THEN his brother's name is a girl's name too, thoug
Janie Johnson
Jun 04, 2014 Janie Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-challenge
This was a very fast and fluid read with a very powerful message. A message about how God can work in our lives and make our lives so much better if only we believe, trust and keep our faith intact even when those bad things happen in our lives. I don't need people to tell me that God does not exist, because I will never believe it. I have seen to many miracles and answered prayers to even consider it. Just like Kim and Krickitt testify in this book.

In this book we have a young couple, Kim and K
Beth Sumner fairweather
Oy...where do I start??? This book was just plain awful! It took me forevvvvverrrr to read it and that was even with skipping major parts because it was sooooo boring! If you are a religious person, you will love it, hands down. But if you are not particularly into religion you will the preachiness extremely off putting. That's one thing, but a minor one really if there weren't so many other problems.

#1, the story IS interesting, girl gets in a wreck, loses her memory, forgets she's married, the
Read, Run, Ramble
I loved the story, but didn't feel like it was all that well written. The story alone is what kept me reading - Kim and Krickitt are inspiring people and the events surrounding their lives are tragic, yet also uplifting (in how the handled them). However, the book came off as very repetitive. Even as a short read, I felt like most pages after the accident were repeats of the same information/concept, written in almost the same way.

I think the book would have benefited from some of Krickitt's per
Baillie Cook
May 16, 2013 Baillie Cook rated it it was amazing
This book is about two people that fall in love. Then one day they are in a critical car accident leaving the woman in a state where she remembers nothing. They slowly talk and her memory begins to come back. They end up back in love, but it's like they have to start all over.
I have seen the movie to this book and i did not like it. I believe if you read the book first you will not like the movie, but if you just watch the movie i am sure you will like it. The movie changed many main details,
Thevilone
Dec 14, 2016 Thevilone rated it it was ok
Lou
Jul 12, 2014 Lou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reseña completa

Si hay algo que no me agrada mucho de los libros de romance, es la idealización de los personajes. Sin embargo, con este libro me he dado la grata sorpresa de encontrar a los protagonistas, muy reales y humanos; así que creo que este libro es romántico pero no llega al extremo de ser meloso. Eso se debe a que, obviamente, esta historia ocurrió en la realidad y no tiene ninguna pizca de ficción, pero también creo que es porque nos muestra a los protagonistas con defectos y virtudes
Nicole
Feb 21, 2012 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook-books
I was skeptical about this book. Particularly since Nicholas Sparks was involved with the movie adaptation, and even the Nicholas Sparks movies I like tend to end with me openly weeping in the movie theater. In spite of this, I felt compelled to give this book a try, and I'm so glad that I did. In a world where we tend to glorify violence, cheating, and general discontent, it is so refreshing to read a book about a couple that worked through overwhelming odds. This should be required reading for ...more
Alexandra Rodrigues
Não fazia ideia do quão conhecida esta história era... mas é realmente uma história bastante inspiradora para qualquer pessoa, independentemente se já passou por uma situação semelhante ou não. Fiquei comovida com a força deste casal. É uma história que ajuda a quem está a passar por momentos difíceis e que mostra a todos a importância que é darmos valor a tudo o que temos e às pessoas que nos rodeiam.
Sharon
Jul 16, 2012 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Beautiful true love story and how they fought the keep their faith and their marriage alive. They couldn't do it without their devotion to the Lord! The movie stripped their values, leaving it empty and void of substance!
The Vow Movie 9 54 Sep 23, 2014 11:13AM
Which Should Come First: The Book or the Movie? 30 73 Nov 01, 2012 10:49AM
Lost in Words: Discussion Topic 10 1 1 May 06, 2012 09:25AM
Lost in Words: Discussion Topic 9 1 1 May 06, 2012 09:24AM
Lost in Words: Discussion Topic 8 1 1 May 06, 2012 09:24AM
  • I'm No Angel: From Victoria's Secret Model to Role Model
  • Voices of the Faithful
  • 1936... On the Continent
  • Peppermint Creek Inn (Undercover, #1)
  • The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found
  • The Dreamer, Volume 2
  • A Time to Dance / A Time to Embrace (Timeless Love, #1-2)
  • Still Lolo: A Spinning Propeller, a Horrific Accident, and a Family's Journey of Hope
  • Meet the Annas: A Musical Novel
  • Life, In Spite of Me: Extraordinary Hope After a Fatal Choice
  • Where Angels Walk
  • Raising Abel
  • Stalker in the Shadows (Sonoma, #3)
  • One Chance in a Million (California Chances, #1)
  • Adele: The Biography
  • Mistaken Bride (Irish Brides, #2)
  • Sex, Mom, and God: How the Bible’s Strange Take on Sex Led to Crazy Politics--and How I Learned to Love Women (and Jesus) Anyway
  • Spinning

“God hasn't forgotten you, God will never forget you. He says He will never leave you comfortless, and He won't. You can't use Him up or wear Him out. Hang on to him. He wont forget you. So please don't forget Him.” 18 likes
“I want you to remember that in life you will encounter some very tough times, but you can find your strength in God. If there is something missing in your life, seek the Lord. If you once had Him in your life and now He seems far away, guess who moved? He is still there; just go to Him. He loves you with an everlasting love, and through obedience to Him all commitments will endure.” 11 likes