Start by marking “Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story” as Want to Read:
Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story

Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  773 ratings  ·  102 reviews
In this special Johnson & Johnson TNT movie tie-in edition, kids will read how Ben Carson, an African-American, was able to accomplish his dream through faith and determination. Includes photographs of Ben and his family growing up with a special 8-page color photo section of movie and behind-the-scene images.
Published January 29th 2009 by Zonderkidz (first published January 1st 2009)

Bethany
This was another book that I taught at Oakland Community College. Ben Carson flew out of the worst situation in the deepest part of Detroit, becoming an Eagle Scout and ultimately Director of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins children's Center. He also earned the Presidential Medal of Peace. Carson and his wife are paying back big time by means of the Carson scholars Fund with awards that have gone out to 42 states, and probably more by now.
The book takes the reader through his childhood a
Kathryn
I thought I’d read this previously, however a friend sent it to me for Christmas and when I started looking over it, none of it looked familiar. So I read it properly and certainly was inspired by the story of Ben Carson and his humble beginnings and overcoming prejudice to become a very skilled neurosurgeon, able to restore hope to many families.
Jessica
The first couple chapters of this book were painful: preachy and condescending. Luckily I kept going. This turned out to be a great book. It is a biography of Ben Carson a neruosurgeon. It was written for a younger audience. What I found most impressive about Dr. Carson was his faith in God. There were several moments in his life when he needed help and turned to God. His faith always resulted in miracles that changed the direction his life would have done otherwise. He is the first to admit tha ...more
Ria Gill
Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story is a true story about the life of noted pediatric surgeon, Ben Carson and his ability to overcome the negative perception of others. I originally read this book about five years ago. I was moved how Ben Carson overcame being called names by other kids, being raised by a single mother, struggling his first year of medical school to the point that an advisor suggested he quit, and having to work jobs such as that of a crane operator, while still attending Yale (w ...more
Maureen
I really liked this book. A touching story of a young man who really learned the lessons of life. At the end of his book he tells to Think Big. He proceeds to tell you about each of those letters and sends a message that every one is important in life and what you do with that life is up to you. His examples are excellent for all teens to read. I read this in one afternoon. This young man became a neurosurgeon. He was raised by a single Mom who was herself a very wise lady. He was Black and came ...more
Lastrong
Interesting to know that Dr. Ben Carson did not know that he wanted to become a doctor and was just like many other young kids who did not find school exciting. However, through the love and support of an awesome mother, she encouraged both of her boys to get a good quality education. We follow Ben through the struggles of poverty, embarrassment and living in a single parent home. Through all the exposure of music, art, and reading that was given to Dr. Carson, he eventually found himself becomi ...more
Kammera
This is absolutely captivating my fourth graders imaginations! They groan when I have to stop reading. Ben Carson embodies many positive character traits . The students also love the fact that he was known as the class dummy in fifth grade and that he then goes on to become a famous neurosurgeon. Many of my students come from the same backgrounds and they really are inspired by him book. almost done with the book!! sad:(
After finishing my students burst into applause!!! Amazingly, the next day,w
Etta Mcquade
What a book to read on Mother's Day! The teachings of his mother that kept Ben Carson on the right path to becoming the world's foremost pediatric neurosurgeon,is remarkably inspiring. Add to that his own diligence and hard work, his incredible faith in a living God, and his unbelievable accomplishments, especially in the disjoining of Siamese twins, and I was astonded and grateful for such people in this world.
Lachelle Cooper
autobiography
Ages 9-12
Paperback/Audio

I read this story in Middle school and took a trip to Johns hopkins to visit him. This book is about Dr.Ben Carson's life and the many struggles he went through as child. Growing uop in a single parent home, Ben and his brother were under privilage kids who lived in the inner city and attended public school.Ben who was known as the class dummy was told he would never amount to anything in his life went on to prove those who doubted him wrong. Ben Carson becam
Pam
Jul 26, 2012 Pam rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids ages 9-14
I loved this book! I think it would be very inspirational to upper elementary students and middle school students (especially those who struggle in school). Ben Carson learned to overcome his disadvantaged upbringing and racial prejudice mainly by learning to love reading. He went from being a struggling student whom others made fun of in 5th grade to the boy at the of his class just a few years later. God was also and important part of Ben's life and there are many details on this.
Theresa
Ben Carson grew up in poverty. His mother worked 3 jobs to put food on the table and a roof over their heads. When, as a teenager, Ben wanted money for fancy clothes, his mom gave him all the money she made and told him to pay the bills and buy the food. He found that there was no extra money. No excuses were accepted for bad grades, etc. He was in control of his own life. Ben was also raised to have great faith which it evident throughout the book. I loved this book and will eagerly recommend i ...more
Erin
I loved this small easy to read book about a disadvantaged boy who trusted in his mother's words and believed that God would help him become who he wanted to be. This story is inspiring and full of stories that most people can relate to. I loved the fact that Ben often turned to God. His faith in God which started out with his faith in his mother, is reflected well in this book. I loved the simplicity of this man's faith all the while working very hard to be worthy of the gifts God gave him. I w ...more
Julie Stephen
My son is going to read this for one of his summer reading books so I thought I would read it too. Great book, very inspiring. Excited for him to read and then watch the movie together.
Linda
In December our family watched the movie by the same name. We were so inspired by Dr. Carson's life that I sought out his biography for additional details. This is the children's version & I liked it better than the adult version. It was written more recently, so it includes events that had not yet occurred when the original biography for adults was written. After my boys read it on their own, we read it aloud as a family, which was a great opportunity for discussions of faith & values w ...more
Lisa
This is a juvenile non fiction book (the only one in our library system - I didn't know there were other, adult-level books!), so it is written pretty simply. But I loved the story! Ben Carson, with his humility, hard work, and faith in God, is an inspiration - this has made me want to work harder to develop my talents, and use them to serve and help others. I also feel a connection to the story, having lived through the med school and residency craziness. I think I would have chosen another ver ...more
Natacha Okazaki
This was a great book and I read it to my kids too. Ben Carson is a great guy, I respect him a lot.
Tiffany Askins
Dr. Ben Carson is a world renowned pediatric surgeons. Dr. Carson grew up in the inner city and went from being the dumbest kid in his class to the smartest kid. The book discusses Dr. Carson's determination, motivation, and perseverance. I read this book to my class to help students understand that smarts is not the only thing you need to be "successful" in life. I especially chose this nonfiction book to expose children to other heroes besides athletes and to encourage those kiddos that strugg ...more
Dolly
This is a short and inspiring biography of a famous pediatric neurosurgeon who rose to the heights of his career from a poverty-stricken childhood. His dogged pursuit of education and love of learning propelled him to achieve his dreams.

This book was chosen by the book club our girls attend. It's truly a worthwhile read and I hope that our girls find inpsiration in his story.

interesting quotes:

"Ben also realized that he had known the answer because he'd been reading books. As that sank in, he
Shakaela
Ben Carson is... amazing.

His story is really special and it proves that God uses everyone and everyone has the ability to do amazing things. I am inspired by Ben Carson to believe in myself more, and you should feel that way too if you read this. His story is really encouraging, anyone who has ever thought they were disadvantaged in life, worthless or "dumb", this book is for you. Because everything is possible, and if you believe in yourself, dreams really can come true.

Reading this book is re
Eric Black
Written for young readers, this is a brisk version of Ben Carson's story. Some reviewers do not like the first couple of chapters. I felt the second half of the last chapter took more away from the book than anything at the beginning.

Carson's story is certainly inspiring and serves as a worthy example for children and teens to study. This book gives them a good introduction.
Lucy P
Gifted hands is a great book. It's about a poor black boy who gets bullied, has no friends, and then he studies really hard until he gets into college. After college, he goes to medical school and becomes a neurosurgeon, one of the best neurosurgeons ever. This book is really inspiring and amazing of what he acomplished. This book has no sequels sadly and if there was one I would read it. Lastly, if I could rate this book 1 through 10. 10 being the best I would give it 9.9.
Alsie
Gifted Hands is an powerful and uplifting story. Ben Carson went to a worthless, 'dumb', and poor boy to becoming a surgeon - one of the most hardest jobs to get. His story is truly inspiring, and let's you know that no matter how unimportant you feel - you truly can get somewhere if you believe. He had a not-so-good beginning, but it lead to a really wonderful path. :)
Ginger Hewitt
Very inspiring story about making the best of your situation step by step! I have already challenged my kids to read at least 1 Nonfiction book per month each (they are already avid readers but gravitate almost exclusively towards Fiction) for the next year. This evolved from his mother's request for Ben and his brother to visit the library and really limit their tv viewing. Will certainly recommend this book many times over.
Alex Tully
My son was reading this for a homework assignment and I picked it up and started browsing through it. Then I started reading it and couldn't stop, finishing it in a couple hours. This is just so inspiring! Excellent story and highly recommend! (I think there are more updated versions as well)
Lily
This book was very inspiring to me and my classmates. I read this book with my class this year and I loved it. Ben Carson is a fabulous Christian man who is a fabulous doctor who does miracles every time he performs a surgery. This book tells the life story of this awesome man.
Janice Torres
I think this book is very inspiring because Ben always thought he didn't know any better. He felt like he wouldn't be able to be as good as the others but later on found out he was an amazing neurosurgeon. On top of that he was the first surgeon to ever separate conjoined twins.
Chris Nsanzimana
An interesting story of how a boy from a humble background rose to become one of the celebrated neurosurgeons worldwide. This book is a must read for those who think that greatness is meant for those who grew up in fancy houses and wealth families.
Angie Horvath
wow

Excellent book. Amazing what God has done through this man. I am impressed and encouraged by his willingness to acknowledge God as the source of his skills as well as how he conducts himself in his day to day life.
Matt DiSilvio
I have a lot of respect for Ben Carson and his story is inspiring. I didn't love the book as much as I thought I would but I had some really high expectations. I did enjoy it though and would recommend it without a doubt.
Cynthia
4 stars for a compelling story about an interesting man. 2 stars for the writing, which is mediocre at best. He really overcame some tremendous obstacles to become a world class neurosurgeon.
  • Heroes for My Daughter
  • The Big Picture: Getting Perspective on What's Really Important in Life
  • Anonyponymous: The Forgotten People behind Everyday Words
  • Kubla Khan: The Emperor of Everything
  • The Grand Mosque of Paris: A Story of How Muslims Saved Jews During the Holocaust
  • To Dare Mighty Things: The Life of Theodore Roosevelt
  • Can't You Make Them Behave, King George?
  • Florence Nightingale
  • Oh, Beautiful: An American Family in the 20th Century
  • Dave Barry's History of the Millennium (So Far)
  • I, Galileo
  • Harlem's Little Blackbird
  • The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind
  • Neo Leo: The Ageless Ideas of Leonardo da Vinci
  • A Picture Book of Anne Frank
  • Terror in the Name of God: Why Religious Militants Kill
  • Brothers in Hope: The Story of the Lost Boys of Sudan
  • Handel, Who Knew What He Liked
Miracle at Tenwek: The Life of Dr. Ernie Steury Ben Carson The Power of a Promise Kept: Life Stories Brother Andrew The Admiral: The David Robinson Story

“Ben learned an important lesson: sometimes to survive you need to face your fear and overcome it.” 1 likes