Start by marking “Candlelight for Rebecca (American Girls: Rebecca, #3)” as Want to Read:
Candlelight for Rebecca (American Girls: Rebecca, #3)

Candlelight for Rebecca (American Girls: Rebecca #3)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  621 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Rebecca's teacher assigns the class to make Christmas decorations--but Rebecca's family is Jewish and doesn't celebrate Christmas. Her teacher tells her that Christmas is a national holiday, for all Americans to celebrate. Although her parents came from Russia, Rebecca knows she's as American as anyone else, even without celebrating Christmas. Could her teacher be wrong? I ...more
Published July 1st 2009 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published June 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Candlelight for Rebecca, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Candlelight for Rebecca

carrietracy
I was pretty annoyed at the messages in this book. I don't think it's necessary for Jewish children to accommodate the Christian majority by making Christmas symbols in school. Clearly the book is set at a different time, but the message sent by it is clearly that Jews who honor Christmas are doing the right thing even if it means being untrue to who they are. Also, there's more than one conversation about Hanukkah not being a very important holiday. As in, other people say it's not that importa ...more
Ciara
oof. this one started off with some incredibly heavy-handed exposition regarding the meaning of hannukah. but it got a little better. rebecca is all excited for hannukah because she gets to wear her special occasion holiday dress & eat latkes & get a chance to light a candle on the menorah & play dreidl games, etc. but at school, her teacher hands out red candles, pine boughs, berries, & pine cones, & tells everyone that they're going to be making christmas centerpieces becau ...more
Sesana
3.5 stars, bumped up slightly because I think it's the best book in Rebecca's series.
Cara Wilson
Candlelight for Rebecca
Cara W., Spring 2015

Series #3

So, far this is the BEST book so far I've read. Rebecca must decide between pleasing her family or her teacher, a subject that may come up very often in the classroom. Rebecca must learn what is right for her and what is right for her culture. She learns the real meaning of the holiday season.

I love the accuracy in this book regarding Jewish traditions. This book has a lot of teachable moments. This is great for all minorities, especially with
Bree
This review is from the point of view of a mother. I'm reading the Rebecca series to decide when they will be appropriate for my daughter.

Of the books so far, I think Candlelight for Rebecca does a deft job handling a few diverse threads, and weaving them into a whole, quite subtly.

First the book deals most candidly and accurately with the struggle minority religions deal with in public institutions, even today. Rebecca, as a nine-year-old, feels caught in the middle between pleasing her teach
Amanda Caldwell
Review from The Book Babe.

Candlelight for Rebecca is the third book in Rebecca's American Girl series. Traditionally, the third book is always the holiday book, so in this installment we find Rebecca preparing to celebrate Hanukkah with her family. However, every where Rebecca looks there's Christmas decorations. Even at school, the students are creating a Christmas decoration to take home. Rebecca's teacher tells the class that despite one's religion, Christmas is an American holiday celebrate
Angelica
In this particular American Girl book. It's Christams in New York City and it's the year 1914. Rebecca is asked by her teacher to make Christmas decorations but Rebecca's family is Jewish and doesn't celebrate Christmas. Although her teacher tells her it's a national holiday for all Americans to celebrate, Rebecca believes herself to be just as American as anyone else even though her parents came from Russia.

This book is a great message to send to young girls. No matter where you come from you
Marya
"And God bless us, everyone!" This book is about Hannukah, and it does do a good job of addressing how immigrants and their children had to deal with the conflict between assimilating the American culture at the turn of the century and maintaining their religious identify. But despite that, I swear it still ends on the same saccharine note as most Christmas tales.
Miri
Rebecca's family is Jewish and they celebrate Hanukkah, not Christmas, so when Rebecca's teacher gives the class an assignment to make a Christmas centerpiece, she doesn't know what to do. Her grandmother Bubbie doesn't even like to hear Christmas songs, Rebecca knows she won't want to see this decoration. Rebecca's friend Rose is going to throw hers away, but Rebecca thinks the centerpiece is so beautiful she hates to do that. Meanwhile Rebecca has been helping her grouchy neighbor Mr. Rossi, w ...more
Samantha
A class assignment to make a Christmas decoration causes Rebecca many worries. Her family is making preparations for Hanukkah and she's concerned that her grandparents who are very traditional will not understand that while she's proud of her Jewish heritage she is curious and even excited by American traditions.

Meanwhile, when her grouchy neighbor, Mr. Rossi, falls ill Rebecca steps in to care for his cat, Pasta, her new kittens, and the pigeons he keeps on the roof. This simple favor warms Mr
Lfineberg
Part of the American girl series my daughter and I read together. I highlight this one bc it tells the story of a little Jewish girl who is torn bc her teacher tells her that everyone celebrates Christmas. She doesn't know how to handle being "forced" to make a Christmas decoration at school. She knows she can't bring it home, but she finds a good solution.

It's a great story to help learn about maintaining a Jewish identity even when it is difficult. I love a part in the story when her father r
Christina
My favorite AG book so far! Rebecca's uncomfortable situation in this one is having to make a Christmas centerpiece in school. Her teacher doesn't care that the Jewish students are uncomfortable with the project. Rebecca is proud of the pretty decoration she made but afraid her family will disapprove of it, and she doesn't know what to do. Throughout the book she and the reader learn a little about Hanukkah and everything gets wrapped up in a Mr. Krueger's Christmas-ish final chapter.
It's a swee
Sarah Liesemer
Favourite thing - When Rebecca sewed with her sister

Least favourite thing - talking about the battle with the king that led to the first Hanukah. This is because I don't really like battles

One thing you learned

Mommy' opinion - I like it. Heartwarming story mixing
Catherine
My daughter and I really liked this book. Rebecca is told to make Christmas decorations at school where she herself celebrates Hanaka.
Elaine
Interesting to read about a Jewish family celebrating Hanukkah.
Grace
I think this is a good series for girls of all ages
Liz
Rebecca Rubin, the daughter of Russian-Jewish immigrants, is conflicted when she finds out that her teacher has assigned the class to make Christmas decorations. Her teacher tells her that Christmas is an American holiday, but Rebecca and her family know are as American as anyone else and they don't celebrate Christmas.

I wish this book had been out when my own girls were younger. There just aren't very many books that handle the Hanukkah/Christmas issue with such sensitivity.
Teri
Our initial exposure to American Girl books was on audio CD--and it was disenchanting. Actually reading this book with my daughter was DELIGHTFUL! The illustrations are beautiful and I really enjoyed learning about Hanukkah along with her.

2014--ideas to go with the book--make centerpiece like the one in the book, make latkes (SO YUMMY!!!), learn about carrier pigeons, play with dreidels, learn about the menorah. . .
Anna
The janitors cat gets kittens. He gives Rebecca candlesticks because she gave him her centerpiece. Rebecca took care of the cat.
Bridget
It was a really cute story most people will like this story. I think kids about 4th grade will more enjoy this book.
Mary
Liked the way that Rebecca resolved her conflict in doing something not in her religion and finding a way to have it benefit someone else.
Wonder how much the Hanukkah has changed over the years. Has it become as commercialized as the Christian celebration of Christmas?
Amanda
Greene does a really nice job with Rebecca. Her stories are very linear, her character develops with each book, and her life seems real - much less picturesque than some AG characters. I love the incorporation of early views of Hanukkah here.
Shawna
I was looking forward to reading this one. The American Girl books about celebrating holidays are usually my favorite in a series. I don't celebrate Hanukkah so I was really interested in this story. I thought that it was sweet.
I do not remember faith playing such a large role in any of the other American Girl books - I wonder if this will be a theme for future girls? I love that Rebecca gave her Christmas centerpiece to a lonely neighbor - what a nice lesson.
Cynthia
Third in the series. Two "morals" in this story: How can I observe my own minority religion and still show respect for the majority? A little kindness goes a long way in making friends.
Steve
I like it how Rebecca is willing to help Mr Rose even tohw he dosent like her very much. I like it that Rebecca's sister's let her in on there secrt and that they teat her beter.
Aubrie
It's OK to make projects in school that isn't like what you celebrate was the lesson. Rebecca did a Christmas project in school even though she celebrates Hanukkah instead of Christmas.
Hannah
She was thinking her grandma and mom would think it wouldn't be good to make this little craft she was making at school, but her grandma liked it, but she didn't even see it.
Amber
I chose this book for a project about the Jewish culture. I am broadening my knowledge so I can share with my future students that we have a multi-cultural classroom!
  • Happy New Year, Julie (American Girls: Julie, #3)
  • Kaya's Hero: A Story of Giving (American Girls: Kaya, #3)
  • Happy Birthday, Josefina!: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Josefina, #4)
  • Marie-Grace Makes a Difference (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #5)
  • Troubles for Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #4)
  • Caroline's Secret Message (American Girls: Caroline, #2)

American Girls: Rebecca (6 books)
  • Meet Rebecca (American Girls: Rebecca, #1)
  • Rebecca and Ana (American Girls: Rebecca, #2)
  • Rebecca and the Movies (American Girls: Rebecca, #4)
  • Rebecca to the Rescue (American Girls: Rebecca, #5)
  • Changes for Rebecca (American Girls: Rebecca, #6)
Meet Rebecca (American Girls: Rebecca, #1) Rebecca and the Movies (American Girls: Rebecca, #4) Rebecca and Ana (American Girls: Rebecca, #2) Changes for Rebecca (American Girls: Rebecca, #6) Rebecca to the Rescue (American Girls: Rebecca, #5)