Start by marking “Rebecca and Ana (American Girls: Rebecca, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rebecca and Ana (American Girls: Rebecca, #2)

Rebecca and Ana (American Girls: Rebecca #2)

At last, cousin Ana has arrived at Ellis Island, and Rebecca can't wait to meet her. She's sure they'll be just like sisters, doing everything together. It's crowded with two families in one small apartment, but Rebecca is happy to share everything with Ana, even her clothes! At school, Rebecca is determined to help her cousin learn English and keep up in class, in spite ...more
Published July 1st 2009 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published June 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Rebecca and Ana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rebecca and Ana

Carolynne
I like that Rebecca is a flawed character (I don't however think she is a "sniveling, selfish, thoughtless, heartless brat" as one reader suggests) who grows during the course of the story as she learns to consider her cousin Ana's feelings and not just her own. Yes the treatment is a little heavy handed, but none of the American Girl series are great literature, but a resource for teaching aspects of American history as seen through the eyes of girls who might have lived at that time, in order ...more
Lisa
Dec 27, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it
I love that Rebecca is a Jewish American Girl and I love that her books deal with immigration, but I just don't think the Rebecca books are as well-written as the Samantha or Addy books, etc. There seem to be a number of missed opportunities in the writing--for example, in the first book Rebecca shows an interest in acting. In the second book, the conflict revolves around Rebecca's desire to sing in the school assembly, but never once does it mention that performing in the assembly is important ...more
Emily
Nov 26, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it
I am learning a lot from these books!
Ciara
May 10, 2010 Ciara rated it liked it
rebecca & her family go down to where the ferry docks to greet their family that has just made the trip from russia. rebecca's father goes to ellis island to meet everyone & assure officials that family is available to help the new immigrants get settled in the united states. when the ferry docks, rebecca is relieved to find that her cousin ana made the trip safely. she hopes that she & ana will become the best of friends--almost like twins! but everyone is shocked to discover that ...more
Bree
Mar 22, 2011 Bree rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, children
This review is from the point of view of a mother. I'm reading the Rebecca series to decide when they will be appropriate for my daughter.

Like the first book, this book suffers a bit from having too many plot points racing along, but since this seems to be a theme of the series, in order to have a more cohesive whole, I'll stop harping about it and focus on each one individually.

The reader is introduced to a lot of historical and emotional concepts in this book. The thread about the difficulties
Michigosling
The problem for Jewish boys in Russia in 1914 was not simply that they would be thrown into the army forever and get food that wasn't kosher. The Кантонистские школы system of drafting little boys and keeping them for 25 years was abolished shortly after the Crimean War, during the reign of Alexander II. The Tsar's army was no picnic for a Jew, but lack of kosher food or the loss of one's Jewish traditions was the least of one's problems by the end of 1914. The problem was that there was a real ...more
Miri
Aug 21, 2014 Miri rated it liked it
Uncle Jacob, Aunt Fannie and cousins Ana, Josef and Michael are in America, but Josef is being held on Ellis Island because his leg is injured and they don't know whether he will be allowed to stay in America. Rebecca is so excited for Ana to be here, they are the same age and can be just like twins like her sisters, so Rebecca is determined to help Ana learn English and keep up in her class, but things are difficult. The girls are given an assignment to sing a patriotic song at a special school ...more
Cara Wilson
Apr 25, 2015 Cara Wilson rated it liked it
Rebecca and Ana
Cara W., Spring 2015

Series #2

In the sequel to "Meet Rebecca," the family emergency has been solved! Now Rebecca's family is in the U.S., and this includes cousin Ana! Rebecca is trying everything to help Ana, until Ana's broken English is about ruin everything...

Again, I adore these books. They are not literature to be literature, but to teach a lesson in history (or at least help). This story is resemblant of a situation that could happen. This would be a lovely story for a child
Sarah Crawford
Feb 17, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
Rebecca meets Ana, an immigrant who had been living in Russia but who had to leave due to the oppression of Jews that was going on. She and Rebecca quickly become friends.

Ana has some difficulty at school since her English is not as good as Rebecca's, but the main problem comes while practicing for a school assembly where both Rebecca and Ana are to sing a song. Rebecca is worried that he song will be a flop and she and her class will be made fun of since Ana's English is not good enough to sin
Marya
May 11, 2015 Marya rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-series
Kudos to the book for addressing the trauma of immigration, but boo and hiss for comparing being a Jew and getting sent back to Russia during the times of the pogroms to being told by your cousin that your English isn't good enough to sing with her in the school assembly. Seriously? I get that children have a different world view, but it's pretty obvious that Ana is more than aware of her situation. I know Rebecca is Americanized but I wouldn't think her so lacking in empathy as to make such a ...more
Shelli
Hoping that this sniveling, selfish, thoughtless, heartless brat phase that Rebecca went through in this book is just that, a phase. I loved these American Girl Books when I first started reading them because I felt they showed great character. One common thread that linked these young girls through out decades or place in society has always been a strong mind and positive attitude. However, some of these American Girl main characters are lacking this thread and is causing this reader to be ...more
Callie Stillion
Nov 16, 2013 Callie Stillion rated it it was amazing
As the patriotic season of singing in an assembly, Rebecca`s class comes first. She has her cousin Ana with her, and Ana still speaks broken English, and still mostly Yiddish. But when she sings with Rebecca, she has a big surprise, Ana doesn`t want to sing, she just waves her flag patriotically. At the end Rebecca asks, 'Why did you just wave your flag?' 'I was feeling patriotic, that`s all!' Ana answered. ...more
Mary
Jul 26, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it
Makes you realize how immigration has changed in the last century.

In this book we see that Anna's family wants to come to America but they need money for the boat and money in their pocket when they arrive as well as good health so that they will not be a burden on society.

They also must learn American ways. They keep their traditions and culture at home but must learn their new country's ways.
Steve
Feb 09, 2010 Steve rated it really liked it
I like this book becouse Rebecca is dordrmen to help Ana with the new waes of a Americe. I like it how Rebecca's frind gives her a really good peace of a veish wen Rebecca is treing to desied wethere or not to let Ana seng with her.
Cynthia
Aug 22, 2009 Cynthia rated it liked it
Second in the American Girl series about Lower East Side resident Rebecca Rubin in 1914. The lesson in this book is how to be considerate of other people's feeling when you are trying to get what you want.
Essie
Jul 28, 2015 Essie rated it really liked it
I am enjoying the Rebecca books from the library. I have only recently read the 2nd book and I will have to try to get the others later. I love all of the American Girl books and own many (thanks to my mother and grandmother)!
Sydney
Jan 13, 2014 Sydney rated it liked it
rebecca's cousin ana is coming to stay with her for a few days. rebecca chooses a grand ole flag during chapel. ana has to sing with her and doesn't get it right. they finally get the song right at the end.
Amanda
Aug 16, 2010 Amanda rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the second Rebecca book very much. American Girl books had a strong affect on me as a kid and I'm glad to see there's finally a Jewish girl. While some of the characters are stock, I think it's quite a sweet story.
Lindsey
Apr 15, 2013 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
This book was an excellent platform for teaching my students about the struggles immigrant families faced once they made it to the United States. Now that Rebecca's family has escaped Russia, the turmoil they face paints a vivid picture of what life was like for immigrants.
Amanda
Aug 07, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Totally just realized I'm reading Rebecca before Samantha, whoops. This was a nice book for Rebecca, seeing multiple sides of her character, and her large family. Understandable that Rebecca is a great pull for little girls.
Christina
Jul 22, 2013 Christina rated it really liked it
Isobel and I binge-read most of this today. I really like Rebecca! Her dilemma with Ana in this book is very similar to things that I remember dealing with at their age. I totally got choked up on the last page like a sucker.
Annie
Sep 20, 2013 Annie rated it it was amazing
age rating 9-11. Rebecca cousin Ana is coming from Russia where the war between Russia and Germany. so Ana goes to school with Rebecca and the have to sing a song. but with Ana's broken English it might not work out the way Rebecca hoped .
Apr 01, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot, as it was interesting to read about what school was like in 1914 and to think of the NYC public schools as brand new! School sounds a lot different than I remember it...
Michelle
A great story about two families coming together to help each other. Rebecca learns that her cousin has different qualities and eventually loves it about her.
Ashley
Aug 09, 2012 Ashley rated it it was amazing
In this book Rebecca's cousins arrive from Russia. Abby was really interested in the whole Ellis Island thing, but told me to stop using a Russian accent while reading because it was bugging her:)
Natalie
Cool I feel sorry for poor Ana. She has to live in a tenement building and her brother might get sent back to Russia because of his leg injury.
Shawna
Dec 29, 2011 Shawna rated it really liked it
This books was so much better than the first one in the series. I liked Rebecca's cousin Ana's story.
Anna
Jan 16, 2014 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-by-myself
Rebecca's cousin Ana is coming to New York! She is excited to see her. They matched colors! But Ana's brother is hurt so he cant' come Will Anas brother make it?
Jessaleigh
Jessaleigh rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Catherine
Aug 09, 2014 Catherine rated it it was amazing
My daughter and I loved this book. We are almost done with the Rebecca series.
  • Happy Birthday, Josefina!: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Josefina, #4)
  • Changes for Julie (American Girls: Julie, #6)
  • Kaya and Lone Dog: A Friendship Story (American Girls: Kaya, #4)
  • Cécile's Gift (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #6)
  • Marie-Grace Makes a Difference (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #5)

American Girls: Rebecca (6 books)
  • Meet Rebecca (American Girls: Rebecca, #1)
  • Candlelight for Rebecca (American Girls: Rebecca, #3)
  • Rebecca and the Movies (American Girls: Rebecca, #4)
  • Rebecca to the Rescue (American Girls: Rebecca, #5)
  • Changes for Rebecca (American Girls: Rebecca, #6)