Start by marking “Never Work Harder Than Your Students & Other Principles of Great Teaching” as Want to Read:
Never Work Harder Than Your Students & Other Principles of Great Teaching

Never Work Harder Than Your Students & Other Principles of Great Teaching

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  375 ratings  ·  54 reviews
If it ever feels like teaching is just too much hard work, here's a guide that helps you develop a more fluid and automatic way to respond to students and deliver great teaching experiences every time. Using a short set of basic principles and classroom examples that promote reflection, Robyn R. Jackson explains how to develop a master teacher mindset.
Published January 2nd 2009 by Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development (first published January 1st 2009)

Be the first to ask a question about Never Work Harder Than Your Students & Other Principles of Great Teaching

The Book Whisperer by Donalyn MillerThe First Days of School by Harry K. WongSavage Inequalities by Jonathan KozolEducating Esmé by Esmé Raji CodellPedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Freire
books for teachers, educators
142nd out of 395 books — 350 voters
My First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisTeach Like a Champion by Doug LemovEducating Esmé by Esmé Raji CodellThe First Days of School by Harry K. WongLifting the Curtain by D.A.  Russell
Books every teacher should read
47th out of 124 books — 124 voters

More lists with this book...

Carrie
“Never Work Harder Than Your Students” is just one of the seven “master teacher “principles outlined in this book by Dr. Robyn R. Jackson. The complete set of principles is:

1) Start where your students are.

2) Know where your students are going.

3) Expect to get your students to their goal.

4) Support your students along the way.

5) Use feedback to help you and your students get better.

6) Focus on quality rather than quantity.

7) Never work harder than your students.

While a self-assessment at the beg
I trudged through this book. It was truly a matter of soldiering on through.

I read this book as part of a group study for school. I highlighted and commented for several chapers when I discovered that the book was on loan. Now I have to buy a new copy for the district. And I don't even like the book!

I understand where the author is coming from. The problem is that I don't agree with her underlying philosophies. The title is Never Work Harder than Your Students but, on page 74 she talks about spe
عبدالمنعم الهوسة
كتاب يتحدث عن سبعة مبادئ تساعد في كون النعلم صاحب تدريس متميز.
فهي أكدت في بداية الكتاب على أن التدريس المتميز ليس خاصا بقلة محظوظة من الناس ، فمن سلك الطريف الصحيح بإمكانه الوصول.

كتاب من ترجمة دار الكتاب العربي ، الكاتبة تميزت في أسلوب رصين متين في تقديم المادة العلمية ..

الكتاب أعجبني في سرده ، تجارب وحوارات ومحاولة لذكر بعض النماذج ، ذكر لحال معلم وكيف تغير المعلم عندما تغير أسلوبه ..

تتحدث الكاتبة عن قصتها مع التعليم ، عن الجهد الذي بذلته في تقديم كل ما تعلمته لطلابها .. التعليمات الشرح وطرق
Claudia
I was drawn to the title, because I often say I shouldn't be the one working hard in class, 'cause I've already learned this...the hard work of learning is STUDENTS' jobs.

That said, Jackson goes much deeper...she distills master teachers practices down to 7 principles...I like that idea, since we can organize everything we do around those principles and values: Start where your students are; know where they're going; expect to get your students there; support students; use effective feedback; fo
Newengland
Practical stuff of a more no-nonsense, conservative bent, but even for this liberal Rousseau-style teacher a lot of the points hit home. Jackson delineates seven principles that can turn you into a master teacher (though not overnight, trust me). Yes, there were a few holes and a few contradictions in her arguments, but overall it was an impressive kid- and learning-oriented display. The real treat is when she shares transcripts from presentations (on this very material) before teachers who shoo ...more
Andrew Meunier
This book was worth reading. It was larger in scope but less specific than some other teaching books I have read (Fundamental Five or Teach Like a Champion for example) but all of the seven "Principles" are valuable. I think most teachers who have been on the job for awhile will probably find that they already apply many of the principles to some extent but most will find at least one principle that bears closer reading. For me the most interesting principles were #1 (Start Where Your Students A ...more
Joel
I wish I'd skipped the Marzano book and read this one first. Logical, bite-sized steps to improve how I do what I do, and good tools to get it done.
Keith
Some good reminders, but I grow weary listening to someone who is no longer in the classroom espouse the newest and "best" pedagogical approaches. A lot of it is more applicable to non-math subjects.
David
Just an excellent read for any teacher. I do not think that you will get new information or learn some amazing techniques for your classroom instruction but you will receive validation for what you think you are doing right. I really appreciate the easy style with which she writes. I read this book as part of a book study two years ago. I have just ordered two more of her books for my department's pedagogy bookshelf. I must admit that I was really harsh to my self in the rating system sheet she ...more
L.n. Hill
I felt a kinship with the writer of this text. Almost like she has been spying on ME for the last few years and decided to use my glaring teaching mistakes for this text!!! Periodically I would say (out loud) this is ME! I did that TOO!!! What a wake up call. Written in a no nonsense style, this author offers practical and insightful advice. I would recommend this book to any teacher interested in perfecting your craft for the sake of your students and for your own sanity. I will be re-reading t ...more
Emily
great ideas for keeping students accountable and teachers facilitating learning.
Relyn
Jul 21, 2013 Relyn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers
Recommended to Relyn by: Barbara St. Clair
for at school book club

5/20/11
Confession time, I didn't finish this book. The end of the school year craziness just got too crazy. We're going to do the book club again early next year. I plan to finish this then.

7/21/13
I am catching up and cleaning up my Goodreads. That means adding dates to forgotten books. Somehow I never got back to this one. As I recall, she had great thought and ideas, but wasn't a very engaging writer. That happens a lot with teacher books, but I don't seem to be willing
Racheal Kalisz
Really looking forward to putting some of these practices to work.
Allison
I think many people pick this book up expecting concrete, step-by-step process explanations. And it doesn't have any. This is a book based in teaching theory--it's abstract and intangible. And completely life changing.

After reading this, I've already started to adjust how I think about my job and my students. I feel excited and more energized than I have in years. I would seriously suggest this to anyone who needs a pep talk (or just a reminder) about what it means to teach.
Caroline Hooper
I read this book in a teacher book group. The book is a great read if you are a teacher, and I highly recommend reading it with others. Usually, teacher books are full of tricks and gimmicks, but this book approaches the art and science of teaching from a more philosophical perspective in the sense of principles that are the foundation of effective teaching. If you are a teacher you should read this book.
Michelle
A lot of this is common sense, but it's common sense that you forget about in the daily shuffle that is teaching. I enjoy the principles, and I have them taped to my desk. Overall, this is not a shortcut for teaching. It's just a way of prioritizing what is important to be the most efficient teacher you can try to be with a student-centered focus (duh--but teachers sometimes forget this)
Jessica
Lots of great ideas about how to think smarter about teaching, and it even includes some concrete ideas for implementing these principles. Since I'm a new teacher who's just glad to have survived her first year, the book was overwhelming because there is SO much I need to improve on. After another year or two, I'll be able to think about this book a little more systematically.
Paula Lyle
I care a lot about my job and my students. I also work really hard. This book took those things as a given and gave suggestions, practices, and ideas that will, hopefully, help me to change the things that I do rather than increase the things that I do. It really did make me think about some things differently and look forward to the next school year.
Meg
Gave me some ideas, but it is already outdated with what the State is asking from teachers now. We don't have the time or resources or numbers of students to make life work, at least not in Orange County.

I do agree with her that we must always start with the end in mind. I have been doing that faithfully for a while now in my planning.
Marcia
If nothing else, this book is a reminder to think about and clearly articulate your objectives for your students, be sure they are tied to curriculum standards and set high expectations. The author isn't promoting lazy teachers, she is reinforcing the idea that everything done in the classroom should have a purpose and be working toward a goal.
Hafizuddin
Good ideas to kickoff my new semester!
Rachel
I studied this book as part of a curriculum class in my secondary education track. I found Jackon's text to be an excellent resource for teachers. There is a lot in here that has became part of my personal teaching philisophy. I think Jackson is right on the money. Excellent book with sound and practical advice and techniques.
angrykitty
this is the new book for our book study group at work...it's much more dense than the last book, but it seems like it will be interesting.....

....not nearly as engaging as i wanted it to be....there really weren't any new revelations, and the writing was so dense it wasn't very fun to read....
Kristen

Decently organized and somewhat useful. At the same time practical and idealistic. She covered a lot of bases and it seemed like a book that I wouldn't keep on a super important shelf, but maybe it would get revisited once or twice in the future.

Read for continuing ed.
Tracey
I loved this book; the title summarizes my philosophy about teaching. I already went to school. My students better be working harder than me! Do you spend hours on a worksheet/test that takes students minutes to finish? well, you are doing something wrong and this book will explain why!
Amanda
When I first read the title, I was pretty sure I couldn't possibly work less than my students, so obviously I was intrigued. I enjoyed the book, and came away with a new perspective on how my expectations can (and do) influence my students.
Nancy Sebert
Good reminder of what I aspire to when I am in the classroom. A little preachy in the tone. I liked the good and bad examples of what teachers were doing in their classrooms that she observed to help guide me in my thinking.
Michael Sturgeon
This was a very useful, practical, and insightful book. The ideas and perspective brought out in this book would be useful to many a teacher. Either in higher education or otherwise.
Lisianna
Such great information for teachers of any year, but especially those just beginning. I am hoping to get this book as a Christmas present so I can re-read it! :)
Karen
It is difficult to apply to the elementary setting. Chapter 6: Focus on Quality, Not Quantity was the most beneficial and interesting chapter for me.
  • What Great Teachers Do Differently: Fourteen Things That Matter Most
  • The Art And Science Of Teaching: A Comprehensive Framework For Effective Instruction
  • Teaching Outside the Box: How to Grab Your Students By Their Brains
  • See Me After Class: Advice for Teachers by Teachers
  • Rethinking Homework: Best Practices That Support Diverse Needs
  • I Read It, but I Don't Get It: Comprehension Strategies for Adolescent Readers
  • Mini-Lessons for Literature Circles
  • Differentiated Classroom: Responding to the Need of All Learners
  • Curriculum 21: Essential Education for a Changing World
  • Teaching with Love and Logic: Taking Control of the Classroom
  • Discipline with Dignity: New Challenges, New Solutions
  • Fair Isn't Always Equal: Assessing & Grading in the Differentiated Classroom
  • In the Middle: New Understandings about Writing, Reading, and Learning
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement
  • Catching Up or Leading the Way: American Education in the Age of Globalization
  • After "The End": Teaching and Learning Creative Revision
  • Adolescent Literacy: Turning Promise Into Practice
  • Fires in the Bathroom: Advice for Teachers from High School Students
Never Underestimate Your Teachers: Instructional Leadership for Excellence in Every Classroom How to Plan Rigorous Instruction How to Support Struggling Students (Mastering the Principles of Great Teaching) The Instructional Leader's Guide To Strategic Conversations With Teachers How to Motivate Reluctant Learners (Mastering the Principles of Great Teaching Series)

“...our expectations are the result of our beliefs about how likely something will happen combined with how much we value what we hope will happen.” 2 likes