Listening to the Land: Conversations about Nature, Culture and Eros

Listening to the Land: Conversations about Nature, Culture and Eros

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  255 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In this far-ranging and heartening collection, Derrick Jensen gathers conversations with environmentalists, theologians, Native Americans, psychologists, and feminists, engaging some of our best minds in an exploration of more peaceful ways to live on Earth. Included here is Dave Foreman on biodiversity, Matthew Fox on Christianity and nature, Jerry Mander on technology, a...more
Published March 1st 2004 by Chelsea Green Publishing (first published 1995)

Ryan Mishap
You. read. Now.

The people interviewed in this, and what they say, will give you a good overview of what problems we face in our current civilization and how we can think about them in order to find ways to solve the problems, prevent them, and transform society. A great starting point for the would-be environmentalist, a reality check for glassy eyed, greenwashed liberals, and completely necessary.
Cherie
Apr 15, 2012 Cherie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Venessa and Wanda
B Interviews with powerful individuals about the earth, environmentalism, spirituality and the earth. At the beginning, I wasn't got into it but then, it got awesome and I was sad when it ended.
David
In my top 20, I think. I found many of the conversations utterly fascinating, heartening, validating, you name it. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to learn more about why the world is the way it is.
It only took me a year and a half to read this book from cover to cover, eight years from the time I bought it. I picked it up one blustery fall day when I was particularly missing being a student. This collection of essays was just enough to whet my appetite for theory and philosophy, but it is not the kind of book you read cover to cover. It definitely takes time to absorb. Some of the thinkers interviewed in the collection were more memorable than others; some stretched the bounds of abstract...more
Constantine
Fantastic essays on spiritual relationships to ecology, including chapters which focus on (relatively) contemporary issues, and some which dive deep into anti-capitalism, ecofeminism, deep ecology, biomimicry, and more. Rants are few and tempered by intentional disclosure, and the chapters by Christopher Mannes and Thomas Berry are among my favorites.
Kerie
There were some interesting thinkers in this book but interview-style stuff is always off-putting for me. I tend to avoid it when possible. Because of that I had a hard time focusing on the book and getting through it. It did give me a lot to think about, despite the lapses into liberal reformism.
Charlie
this was a very thought provoking book showing the vastness of environmental thought that exists in the world. While I don't agree with all points I do believe that it is valuable it helping a person identify what they think at the present time.
Leah
Great book! I love all of Derrick Jensen's writings. Not always the most uplifting, especially those like Culture of Make-Believe, but always very insightful and accurately critical of our culture.
jeremy
nearly thirty interviews: jerry mander, susan griffin, david orr, terry tempest williams, et al.
Trish
Oct 31, 2008 Trish added it
Only got through part of it before i had to give it back. I will return to it though!
Matt
Very intriguing interviews from a wide swath of authors, activists and intellectuals.
Leslie
I really liked this book. I found it very thought provoking.
Eireann
Interesting selection of interviews. I dug it.
Clayne
Some very good interviews in this book.
Jen
amazing!
Elocin
Elocin marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Katneils
Katneils marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Rf
Rf is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2014
Julianne Morse
Julianne Morse marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Maya
Maya marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Dai
Dai marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Josh Tegart
Josh Tegart marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Lynette
Lynette marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Ryan Uncapher
Ryan Uncapher marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Sraweatherby
Sraweatherby marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Sara Jean
Sara Jean marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
  • Uncommon Ground: Rethinking the Human Place in Nature
  • Woman and Nature: The Roaring Inside Her
  • Overshoot: The Ecological Basis of Revolutionary Change
  • Ecofeminism
  • Pacifism as Pathology: Reflections on the Role of Armed Struggle in North America
  • Biopiracy: The Plunder of Nature and Knowledge
  • Earth in Mind: On Education, Environment, and the Human Prospect
  • In the Absence of the Sacred
  • Against the Grain: How Agriculture Has Hijacked Civilization
  • The Earth Path: Grounding Your Spirit in the Rhythms of Nature
  • A Green History of the World: The Environment & the Collapse of Great Civilizations
  • Legacy of Luna: The Story of a Tree, a Woman and the Struggle to Save the Redwoods
  • Practice of the Wild
Derrick Jensen is an American author and environmental activist living in Crescent City, California. He has published several books questioning and critiquing contemporary society and its values, including A Language Older Than Words, The Culture of Make Believe, and Endgame. He holds a B.S. in Mineral Engineering Physics from the Colorado School of Mines and an M.F.A. in Creative Writing from Eas...more
More about Derrick Jensen...
A Language Older Than Words Endgame, Vol. 1: The Problem of Civilization The Culture of Make Believe Endgame, Vol. 2: Resistance Walking on Water: Reading, Writing, and Revolution