Start by marking “Grails in Action” as Want to Read:
Grails in Action

Grails in Action

For web developers used to wrestling with Java and XML, Grails is a breath of fresh air. Developers are instantly productive, picking up all the benefits of the Ruby-based Rails framework without giving up any of the power of Java.

Grails in Action is a comprehensive look at Grails for Java developers. It covers the nuts and bolts of the core Grails components and is jam-pa
Published June 17th 2009 by Manning Publications (first published May 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Grails in Action, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grails in Action

Jan 28, 2016 Rob rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: aspiring Grails developers, but front-end guys should take caution
Not to be too much of a self-apologist, but let me preface this review by indicating that my frustration (and hence my lower rating) comes largely from gaps in my own knowledge. But as a result of those gaps, I wasn't able to reap this book's full benefits. So first, what was my impression:

Grails in Action is a fast-paced overview of the Grails platform, with an even quicker overview of the Java-based Groovy language that powers it, and some at-a-glance discussions of some other underlying frame
Greg Stephens
Sep 28, 2011 Greg Stephens rated it liked it
Shelves: tech
Good but out of date introduction to Grails
Aug 17, 2014 Arthur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A comprehensive if not complete list of tutorials and recipes to concur Grails!
So yes, Grails has been inspired by Rails, but even without me knowing much Rails it is evident that Grails is a super feature reach, extensible web framework that utilizes verified, well known components as Spring, Hibernate/GORM, Quartz, Active MQ and more which makes it stands out like on the shoulders of a giant. A very flexible, convention over configuration (makes a lot of heavylifting behind the scenes) system.
Jean Tessier
Oct 02, 2011 Jean Tessier rated it really liked it
Shelves: software
We're using Grails at work. I went through the first chapter and the starting tutorial. I was using Grails 1.1.1, but ran into some snags. The save() method of domain objects didn't work. I downgraded to version 1.1 and it worked fine. I upgraded to version 1.2-M3 (experimental) and it worked, but something failed later on when I introduced a service, as per the example. The section on testing talked about integration tests, but the code samples were for unit tests. The book could have used more ...more
Jean Tessier
Oct 01, 2014 Jean Tessier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: software
This update brings it up to Grails 2.3.7. Between final edits and actual publication, Grails is now on version 2.4.2 and some people are already pointing out incompatibilities.

We're still using Grails 1.3.7 at work, so I got to read about all the cool new things in Grails 2 without being able to use any of them. And there is plenty to get excited about! Just about every chapter brought in some new piece that made me wish I could use it in my day-to-day job.

The book itself was much better put tog
Rod Hilton
Jun 17, 2011 Rod Hilton rated it really liked it
Grails In Action is an excellent introduction to Grails. The book starts in Chapter 2 with an example application you might write with Grails (a Twitter clone called Hubbub) and, by the end of that chapter, makes the reader realize he or she just wrote a usable Twitter clone, though one that is admittedly rough around the edges. This illustrates agile principles of iterative development and it helps the reader get somewhat familiar with rails.

The real strength of the book is that every single ch
Nov 08, 2015 Dovydas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before reading I had some experience with Java, Spring, Hibernate.

Book uses example example application Hubbub (twitter clone) to demonstrate all features and where you can use them in real world. I think this teaching method worked well.

This book covers wide range of topics from basics to using NoSql databases. Most Grails chapters provides great depth.

My only gripe is that after books release few month Grails 3 was launched and some chapters aren't relevant anymore, because new version was t
Tom Panning
Jul 12, 2013 Tom Panning rated it it was amazing
Shelves: java
An excellent book for going from knowing nothing about Grails to an intermediate programmer with the framework. Even if you don't read the whole thing, you'll get up to speed on the fundamentals early in the book. I haven't read any of the "in Action" series before, but after this book I'm looking forward to reading more of them.
Zach Danielson
Dec 29, 2010 Zach Danielson rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, computing
Excellent tutorial on Grails. I skimmed some of the later sections, but I expect to return to them when I get a little farther in my projects.
John Chilton
Jul 09, 2010 John Chilton rated it really liked it
Surprisingly good. This book did a good job explaining grails and even more important making be excited to program in it. I highly recommend this book.
Mar 09, 2015 Anusha rated it it was amazing
Yet another excellent book to refer to. It really helped me a lot, as I am a beginner, and had a lot to learn about this.
David Jacobs
David Jacobs rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2011
Todd rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2012
Apr 02, 2015 Irwan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished, it, references, 2014
this is for last year project
Andrew Montalenti
Andrew Montalenti rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2010
Daboe_ rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2009
Vít Kotačka
Vít Kotačka rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2013
Neil rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2012
Martin Verrev
Martin Verrev rated it it was ok
Sep 25, 2011
Pablo Betancor
Pablo Betancor rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2014
Joshua Moore
Joshua Moore rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2014
Yi-Ju Chung
Yi-Ju Chung rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Patrick rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2011
Vinci Amorim
Vinci Amorim rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2013
John rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2012
Rami Enbashi
Rami Enbashi rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2014
Ksmith152 rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Samvel rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2015
Joshua McQueen
Joshua McQueen rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2014
  • Restful Java with Jax-RS
  • Dependency Injection
  • Camel in Action
  • Taming Text
  • Bridging the Communication Gap: Specification by Example and Agile Acceptance Testing
  • The RSpec Book
  • Technical Blogging
  • Beautiful Testing: Leading Professionals Reveal How They Improve Software
  • Programming Languages: Design and Implementation

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »