Start by marking “Tears of the Moon” as Want to Read:
Tears of the Moon

Tears of the Moon

Not since "The Thorn Birds"  has the lush and romantic land of Australia been brought so vividly to life. "Tears of the Moon"  is the thrilling and dramatic story of an endless love that overcomes all odds.Lily Barton's most prized possession is a beautiful tear-drop pearl pendant. Alone in the world, she has no idea where it came from or why she has it. But she is ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages
Published March 1st 1998 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published May 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Tears of the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tears of the Moon

MaryG2E
I enjoyed this book for about 3/4 of its length. In fact I ripped through about 400 pages with enthusiasm, because I was totally into the story. I particularly enjoyed the depictions of the late 19th and early 20th century pearling industry and the frontier town of Broome. I think the author handled the issues of Aboriginal identity very well, and she seemed to show both affection and respect for the traditional beliefs and way of life of her Aboriginal characters. This tolerance extended to the ...more
Anna Casanovas
May 02, 2015 Anna Casanovas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El mejor modo que se me ocurre para definir "El secreto de la perla" es decir que es una novela clásica, una novela que puede gustar a cualquier buen lector dispuesto a dejarse llevar por una gran historia y que enamorará a cualquiera que busque una gran historia de amor.
"El secreto de la perla" utiliza un recurso muy habitual para entrelazar el presente con el pasado; Lily Burton, la protagonista contemporánea, acaba de perder a su madre y entre sus pertenencias descubre un collar y unas fotog
Jill
May 31, 2013 Jill rated it really liked it
I loved this book and think it would make a great TV mini series. A good mix of history, romance and adventure.
Elizabeth Harvey
Sep 11, 2016 Elizabeth Harvey rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, love the historical as well as the romantic aspect of the story
Rachel
Begins as a contemporary Australian story of Lily Barton, going through her mother's papers and finding an old pearl necklace she recognizes but does not understand the significance of. It takes her to Broome to follow her roots and discover her family's story there. The story then follows the lives of early settler Olivia Hennesey and pearl diver captain John Tyndall through many twists and turns. It explores Broome's pearling heritage, it's multicultural background of Japanese, Malay and ...more
Amy Rose
Jun 18, 2016 Amy Rose rated it it was amazing

I loved this book so much! I stayed up all night reading it and was so disappointed it had to end. I loved these strong women, their connection to the Aboriginal people, and the story of pearling in Broome. I was so excited when I woke up this morning and realised there is a sequel and I already have a copy in my bookshelf!!! I might be up all night reading again!
Atrapada Enunashojasdepapel
En definitiva un libro de esos que nos harán vivir aventuras muy intensas con las que disfrutaremos cada momento.
Debbie Lamb
Oct 12, 2016 Debbie Lamb rated it really liked it
Terrific history lesson surrounding the pearling industry in the early 1900s. Enjoyed the sweet romance element even if it was a little predictable. The author handled the aboriginal element of the story sensitively and was able to conjure up an atmosphere of Broome that I was able to picture clearly. An enjoyable and enlightening read
Dianna
A couple of years ago I went on holidays to the Kimberlies, and stayed for a couple of days in Broome. I went out to Cape Leveque and Beagle Bay, and this part of the world is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been. I can’t imagine not connecting with a place like this, and feeling that it can somehow change you.

Reading this book brought back memories of my time there, as Di Morrissey has some good descriptions of place, and what it feels like to be there. I appreciated that the most ab
Karen O'Brien-Hall
Dec 23, 2013 Karen O'Brien-Hall rated it it was amazing
Losing your Mother marks the time when you are a woman in your own right; perhaps a time for reflection; a reminder of your own mortality or a time to start a new journey. Going through her deceased Mother’s papers, Lily discovers a string of magnificent pearls with a beautiful, unusual pendant. Among the photos and other memorabilia of her Mother’s life, she also finds a photo of a man in vintage clothes, looking a little like an old fashioned sailing master – but who is he?

Lily puts the pearls
SaraJean
Aug 11, 2012 SaraJean rated it it was ok
Hey, look, a book I did not buy for a quarter at a used book sale! Instead, this was a hand-me-down from a friend getting rid of books before a move (something which I know absolutely nothing about). The overarching story--a woman goes on a journey to find her past, reads her great-grandmother's diary, and learns more about herself than she though she could--is pretty standard but fairly enjoyable. The downside, however, is that Lily's story of discovery is confined to one hundred pages at the b ...more
T-max
May 26, 2011 T-max rated it liked it
Karen Donnellan
Jul 28, 2011 Karen Donnellan rated it really liked it
Loved it! This is the third book I've read by this author. Again, another book based on research - this time on the pearling town of Broome. I didn't know that Broome was bombed by the Japanese in WWII. Story of a woman going thru a suitcase left by her recently deceased mother, she doesn't know anything of her family history and found a photo of a man with'Broome 1910' on the reverse. She decides to go there to find out more. When she arrives she goes to various places and meets locals, then ...more
Kimberley
Aug 27, 2012 Kimberley rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book, it is about one of my favourite places. It includes a good dose of history of the area, is a bit romantic with a few unexpected turns, and is an easy read. It is a book that makes me smile when I think of it, and will probably re-read when the time is right. But it is not rocket science, just some fun.

I think this would be my favourite Di Morrissey book thus far. Most likely as I could relate to the location and history from the outset, and I was transported back to th
Jupiter6270
Aug 09, 2008 Jupiter6270 rated it did not like it
This was the first book that I had ever read where I knew it was crap. I am sorry to the people who liked it. But it was totally unbelievable. How can so many bad things happen to one person? Every person she knew died...totally crazy. I was around 14 when I read it, and I totally remember sitting on my bed as I was finishing the book. When I finished the last page i remember rolling my eyes at how absurd it was.
Bron
Di Morrissey swept me back to the turn of the 20th Century in Broome, and details life of settlers in the pearl industry with great detail. This story follows the life of Olivia, who moves to Australia as a newly wed, and watches the trials and tribulations of Olivia and her family over the years in such a way that it brought moments of tears and joy to me as I listened.

The audiobook reader was just perfect for this recording!
Elaine Searle
Jan 08, 2016 Elaine Searle rated it liked it
Hard to rate this novel. The history of Broome is well researched & very interesting, especially as I have visited there recently. Di Morrissey is definitely not a literary writer and the plot is composed of cliches and stereotyped characters, eg, the supposed deceased wife turning up on the day before the wedding of the two main characters. That's been used before!!!!
However, for what it is, a reasonable read if you are interested in Broome or want an undemanding read.
Amanda
Sep 21, 2013 Amanda rated it liked it
Very long, sweeping historical novel about pearling in early 20th century Australia. Divided between modern times and the early 1900's, this book is flowery, overly-descriptive, and an epic soap opera of sorts. I skimmed a lot of it. Most of the story revolved around Olivia Hennessy and her extreme longing for John Tyndall, an Indiana Jones-esque pearl diver. Drama ensues, including multi-sided love quadrangles, illegitimate children, long-lost reunions, dead-then-alive scenarios and more.
Cathleen
Nov 02, 2010 Cathleen rated it it was amazing
Morrissey does an excellent job of framing this book which is mainly set in flashback. The balance between the present main character and the characters of the flashback is done smoothly and without confusion. When I would attempt to write about the past when my main speaker is set in the present I tend to leave the reader wondering about the present. This book connects the two appropriately and successfully.
Velma
Jan 19, 2014 Velma rated it it was amazing
Morrissey is at her best as she writes about pearl harvesting based out from Broome. The plot takes interesting twists and turns as the romantic affairs of several characters unfold. The multicultural nature of Broome and the early intervention of caucasians into Australia are captured through the relationships of the characters and the descriptions of places. Well worth reading and rereading.
Wendy
Aug 12, 2013 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Yes, there were some all too convenient relationship developments but the story is beautiful and beautifully told. The history of the early pearling industry in Australian is detailed with successes and heartbreaks. The story also details the prejudices and acceptances of many races learning to live together. I was anxious to know the ending and hated when the story was finished.
Mary Lello
Sep 09, 2014 Mary Lello rated it really liked it
I think this is what my sister calls "Popcorn Reading", summer time, easy read, not well written (at times darn right awful!) BUT ... it was a great story and definitely sucked me in. Took it on a vacation and found I wanted to get back to it, sit in bed in the morning with coffee and read, read, read. SO ... I guess I have to say I really liked it.
Julie inkpen
Jul 04, 2014 Julie inkpen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story with history

thoroughly enjoyed this book. The history of the pearling industry and Broome was fascinating. The characters and their struggles and connections added to the story as well as the effect of world war 1 and 2, the depression, aboriginal family heritage etc. made good reading!
Gemma Quilliam
Jan 07, 2015 Gemma Quilliam rated it liked it
Not a bad story but it was a bit unbelievable in parts, especially the storylines of the central characters ex partners. All wrapped up a bit too neatly for me. It's a shame because I like the relationship between the two main characters.

I would like to have know more about the diver that dies at the start, thought that was a bit odd that we never find out who that was.
Jan 16, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This is a interesting, historical novel, that takes place in Australia, during the late 1800's all the way to 1995. A young woman is trying to discover the heritage of her mother. The story has many twists and turns and was enjoyable to read the history of the pearling industry in Australia.
Virginia
Mar 08, 2010 Virginia rated it liked it
I read this on the recommendation of an Australian friend. It was very good for the history of north-west Australia. However, the "epic" love story was a bit overdone--too many convenient occurrences.
Elizabeth
My book club chose a classic easy summer reading title for the holidays. I'd not read anything by Morrissey before. Once I forgave her her weaknesses as a writer and accepted her as a storyteller I enjoyed it even if nearly every major plot turn is telegraphed.
Kellie Hunt
Dec 19, 2012 Kellie Hunt rated it it was amazing
I have read everyone of Di's books and this is by far my favourite! Having lived in Broome after reading this book, I found Di's portrayal of the pearling town as not too far from the truth. The captivating writing style makes me want to read it all over again!
Karren
Nov 18, 2013 Karren rated it really liked it
Loved this book. I find it interesting to read about Broome and Darwin's multicultural heritage in the late 1800s. What a page turner - I tend to enjoy this type of historical fiction. I thought it a clever way to tell the story, by Lily's discovery of her past
Julie Neale Taylor
Mar 24, 2008 Julie Neale Taylor rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books ever!! The start is slow and boring but once you get past it, the story is totally engrossing. I was very sad when it was over. And the follow-up is not all that good :(
  • Territory
  • Wings of Fear
  • Saving Grace
  • The Lightkeeper's Wife
  • Sunset Ridge
Di Morrissey (born 18 March 1948 in Wingham, New South Wales) is one of Australia's most popular female novelists. She grew up in the remote surrounds of Pittwater, north of Sydney, Australia.

Growing up she counted famous Australian actor Chips Rafferty as a close mentor and friend who helped provide for her and her mother after the death of her father as a child, sending them overseas to Californ
More about Di Morrissey...

“And we can’t have that. Plastic is no comparison for” 0 likes