Start by marking “The Spook's Sacrifice (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Spook's Sacrifice (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #6)

The Spook's Sacrifice (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles #6)

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  9,685 Ratings  ·  352 Reviews
As the Spook's apprentice Tom's first duty is to protect the County from the dark. But now Mam needs his help in her homeland of Greece. One of the most dangerous of the old gods, the Ordeen, is about to return there, bringing slaughter and devastation. Meanwhile, the Devil himself is still loose and if he and the Ordeen join forces, a new age of darkness will descend.

Mam
Published June 4th 2009 by Bodley Head (first published June 4th 2008)

Evgeny
Dec 22, 2015 Evgeny rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Tom Ward's mom went to her homeland to help fight the dark forces. Her homeland is Greece and if you recall Greek mythology you will realize there are a lot of supernatural bad creatures in there.
Maenad
Much to Tom's surprise she came back asking him for help which would be essential in her plan to stop a coming Big Evil. The said evil is so big that she and Tom would be forced to ask local dark forces for help. This was completely unacceptable to Tom's master the Spook. Now Tom had to choose between t
Richard
Jul 17, 2015 Richard rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-fantasy
7/10

Not the best in the series with the Spook and his apprentice heading to Greece of all places! Aren’t the Greek’s having enough issues at the minute without some paranormal activity going down?! Part of the fun of the series is the old worldy northern English feel and this loses some of its charm because of the whole Greek escapade.

Don’t get me wrong, a weak Spooks novel is still probably a lot better than any YA stuff you’ll get out there. I applaud the lack of love triangles and teen angst
Nathaniel ΘΣ
Cynthia
May 14, 2010 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This latest Tom Ward book was just as good as all the others. I tore through it in a matter of days and now I have to wait until August to read the 7th installment!

I just love the characters in this one. Tom Ward, the Last Apprentice himself, is such a touching character. He is innocent in many ways, and yet has seen great evil in his short life. His best friend/girlfriend, Alice, was born to a witch family and there is the constant threat that she may turn to the dark side, but she loves Tom m
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
The Last Apprentice/ Wardstone Chronicles Series-Book #6...

This has been a very consistent series; all of the books have been really good. I just finished the audio version of this sixth book, Clash of the Demons, and I liked it just as much as the other ones.

In this installment, Mam, Tom's mother, enlists the help of Tom, Alice, the Spook, the Pendle witches, Bill Arkwright and the assassin Grimalkin to travel to Greece to help her battle the Ordeen. Of course, the fighters of the dark are rel
Trudi
Didn't grab me in the first half like the others in the series, but by the end I was hooked as always. Can't wait to see what happens next. Seriously, if you have a reluctant reader in your life, child or adult, recommend this series. You will be doing them a solid!
Michael Weber-Williams

“Human beings have hope. Not matter how desperate things are, they convince themselves that they can change things for the better." - John Gregory

In an unspecified time of old, the county of Lancashire is home to supernatural creatures, spirits and other paranormal beings that reside within the dark. To counteract their mischief and misbehaviors, the occupation of a Spook was invented. A Spook is meant to ward off evil and all those who are a part of it. Not just anyone is capable of becoming a
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
In terms of excitement and non-stop action, The Spook's Sacrifice is right up there with the first book in the series. I read this installment in just 2 days' time and now I'm a little bummed that I read so fast, because this is it until May!

This book has a formula that I consider to be successful in nearly all cases: there's a quest - an actual journey that takes the characters out of a familiar setting and plunges them into a totally new atmosphere. That tension nearly always creates a fun an
Apr 02, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Every 7 years, Ordeen will come to Greece and makes a bloodbath everytime she comes.
But not now, because Mam doesn't intended to let her back. Especially when the Fiend is unleashed.
And to prevent Ordeen, Mam needs allies. Either from the Light, or the Dark.

one of my favorite series, nowadays. So the review!

The characters
they're changed throughout this series. Either they're better, or worse.
I like to see how they'll end up like.

Tom seems to be much more impulsive than he's ever been. He isn
Becky
Jan 27, 2010 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a long-time fan of the adventures of Thomas Ward, the Spook's apprentice. His story started with Revenge of the Witch and now Clash of the Demons is the sixth book in this genuinely frightening series. The story is told from Tom's perspective in the first person so the reader is completely inside his head. Delaney pulls you into Tom's world and makes you feel for him and care about everyone he loves.

For those who need a little Last Apprentice tutorial, Tom Ward is the seventh son of a sevent
Chris
Jun 13, 2014 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fiction
Reveiwed first at Brunner's Bookshelf

This was an intense story for this series. A lot of emotional themes and some impressive battles made this one of my favorites of the series. Tom’s mother left for her homeland after the passing of his father a few books back. Now she has returned to ask Tom for his help in stopping the oldest and most powerful witch who will bring nothing but destruction in her wake.

Tensions run very high in this book between the Spook and Tom and his mother. The Spook tell
Audiobooks_Rock
Nov 08, 2013 Audiobooks_Rock rated it did not like it
So why have I given this book such a tough rating?
The answer is simple. from this book and onwards, the world Mr Delaney build gets ripped to shreds. The story becomes one of herculian proportions and irish legends. This book is in my opinion the moment this series broke.

I really liked the first 4 books, the 5th was pretty good too, but from there on its all 1 big mish mash of legends and stories that ruin the original story for me. I did not want to read an epic story. But that is what the boo
Duffy Pratt
Another good installment in what is shaping up to be a very solid series. By this, the sixth book, the series has focused itself on an ongoing war between Tom and his allies, and the fiend. Here, Tom joins with a host of witches to fight against an ancient evil God in Greece. His mother has returned to marshall all the forces she can for this fight. The main internal tension, again, is between the Spook's resolve not to use dark to fight dark. On the other side of this are Alice and Mam, who ...more
Woodge
Sep 26, 2011 Woodge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book number 6 in the series that I've been reading aloud to Luke and the only reason it took a while to finish is that we were pretty busy doing other things like moving to Sweden for a year. You know how that is. Anyway, in this outing, the brave young Tom Ward gets recruited by his Mam to head south to Greece to fight a dangerous menace known as the Ordeen. Tom is in for some nasty surprises and some tough decisions.

Luke and I read to page 270 or so when he just couldn't wait for the n
Ana
Oct 05, 2012 Ana rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: the ones that like witches
Recommended to Ana by: Vlad
NOTE : see this review and more on http://cocainepages.wordpress.com

These books are unbelievably addictive! I can't even begin to tell you how nice it was to stop a while from reading all types of disparate books and focus on this series, which has been, contrary to my belief, really nice to dig in to.

I have given every book in this series 4 stars, because I've always been in love with stories about witches and wizzards and bad people wanting to control our world, and this speaks of exactly
Lisa Burgess
Aug 03, 2015 Lisa Burgess rated it liked it
Eigentlich 3,5 bis 4 Sterne, aber irgendwie war mir gerade nach abrunden. Einiges wird mir allmählich zu oberflächlich, was sehr schade ist. Ich hoffe, dass die Beziehungen zwischen den Charakteren etwas mehr ausgearbeitet werden, vor allem jetzt, wo Tom auch älter ist. Wir lesen alles aus seiner Perspektive und ich bin auch wirklich seit Band 1 dankbar, dass er, nun ja, schlau ist (sorry, mir fällt kein anderes Wort ein), aber irgendwie fehlt mir mittlerweile ein bisschen mehr Tiefe.
Sagen wir
Joey the J in R.J. Spindle
Interesting beginning. Lots of questions right off. The title of the book, chapter, and the chapter itself gives no initial clues from which I can divine from, however I was given a heads up (so stop reading these chapter notes now, if you don’t want to know about it), and I won’t tell you WHO told me this (but they know who they are), one of the male leads (yeah, I don’t know who specifically, but I’m pretty sure it’s Tom) sells his soul to the Fiend.

Read more and add your own commentary at R.
Christine Rains
Aug 11, 2013 Christine Rains rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic addition to the Last Apprentice series. The fight against the dark takes Thomas, the Spook, and Alice overseas to Greece. The truth about Thomas' mam is revealed, and they must battle a tremendously evil force called the Ordeen.

Well-written, suspenseful, and enchanting. My reviews for these books haven't been that long, but it's only because I don't want to give anything away. So much happens in this series. You simply must read it to find out for yourself, and I highly recomme
Sónia Tigol
Sep 17, 2014 Sónia Tigol rated it it was amazing
This book was just as good as all the others, it was an intense story for this series. This book have a lot of emotional themes and some impressive battles, that made this one of my favorites of the series. The truth about Thomas' mam is revealed, and they must battle a tremendously evil force called the Ordeen.
In this book Tom is in for some nasty surprises and some tough decisions.
This book was Well-written, suspenseful, and enchanting.
I loved this story and really hope the rest in this serie
Filip
Nov 20, 2014 Filip rated it really liked it
Příběh o Lovci duchů opět nezklamal a myslím, že tenhle díl by se mohl počítat jako jeden z těch, které velkým dílem rozvíjí příběh. Řeší se zde několik událostí z minulé knihy, umře několik postav a už teď mě hodně štve, že vlastně nevím, jak to s Tomem a obětováním, které je hlavním námětem knihy, dopadne. Sice jsem se při čtení nebál, ale je pravda, že některé ze scén byly opravdu dech beroucí! Aneb sečteno a podtrženo: Potřebuji další díl!
Anita Prince
Feb 14, 2010 Anita Prince rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, horror, fantasy
This is the sixth book in The Last Apprentice series. Mam returns to the County and enlists the help of Tom, Alice, the County witches, and the Spook. The Ordeen, the most dangerous witch in the world, is about to arise from the Ord in Greece. If she is not destroyed, she and her followers will bring death and destruction to the entire world. Joseph Delaney introduces a new set of horrific, evil creatures for the forces of good to defeat.
Megan
Nov 16, 2009 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ems
Whew, what a great book, as always. I read the first 150 pages in no time at all, and the rest of the book was just as good; I just didn't have enough time to read straight through. This one isn't as scary as the first book, but it's just as interesting and well-written. If you've enjoyed the other books in the series, you will continue to enjoy this!
Tom
Sep 27, 2009 Tom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A solid continuation of the series that explains some mysteries of the past, but requires the strength of previous books to stand. A bit formulaic, and rather less interesting than the series' previous titles, but still a nice diversion for a rainy afternoon.
Christen
Sep 17, 2009 Christen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hell-yah-its-ya
This series is the first one in a while that scared me on a level I used to seek out when I was young. I love the studiousness of all the dark beings.
Logan Jones
This was an amazing book. It was full of suspense and action. The book was about Tom, Alice, the Spook, and Tom's Mam. The traveled to Greece to defeat the Ordeen.
Simona Stoica
Jun 16, 2015 Simona Stoica rated it it was amazing
Poate cel mai dur roman din serie, dramatic si trist, insa evolutia lui Tom este uimitoare. Daca nu eram stresata cu licenta, citeam toata seria in 4 zile.
Cherie Ann
Sep 25, 2013 Cherie Ann rated it really liked it
I love this installation of the series!
Glenn
Jan 31, 2016 Glenn rated it really liked it
The story continues to get more interesting with every book... The questions: What next for Tom?
LalaRukh Sohail
Jul 18, 2016 LalaRukh Sohail rated it it was ok
Shelves: dark-magic
A bit disappointed :(
Narges Chinichian
Nov 11, 2016 Narges Chinichian rated it really liked it
Does anyone know anything about this book? 6 61 Mar 13, 2012 07:37PM
  • Vampyrtroldene (Krøniker fra Kvæhl #2)
  • Wolf Guy (Volume 1)
  • The Crowfield Demon (Crowfield Abbey, #2)
  • The Triad of Finity (Oliver Nocturne, #6)
  • Sânge Satanic (Sânge Satanic #1)
  • Noblesse Season3. 1: Nobility
  • Den ydmyge amulet (Humaran-trilogien #1)
  • Hotarul Nestatornic (La Medeleni, #1)
  • Alice at Heart (Waterlilies, #1)
  • The Rising (Department 19, #2)
  • The Bone Magician (Tales From The Sinister City, #2)
  • Dead Drop: A Lawson Vampire Bonus Story
  • The Edge Chronicles 10: The Immortals: The Book of Nate
  • Break (Songs of Perdition, #3)
  • The Land of the Silver Apples (Sea of Trolls, #2)
  • Ghostfire (OutCast, #3)
  • Silvertongue (Stoneheart Trilogy, #3)
  • Dark Days (Skulduggery Pleasant, # 4)
Joseph Delaney is a full time writer living in Lancashire, in the heart of Boggart territory. He first got the idea for the Wardstone Chronicles series when he moved to the village where he lives now and discovered there was a local boggart - ‘a man like me needs boggarts around’. He made a note in his notebook ‘a story about a man who hunts boggarts’ and years later when he had to come up with an ...more
More about Joseph Delaney...

The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Revenge of the Witch (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #1)
  • Curse of the Bane (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #2)
  • Night of the Soul Stealer (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #3)
  • Attack of the Fiend (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #4)
  • The Spook's Mistake (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #5)
  • Rise of the Huntress (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #7)
  • The Ghost Prison
  • Rage of the Fallen (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #8)
  • I Am Grimalkin (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #9)
  • The Spook's Blood (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #10)

“Have faith in who you are. Believe that you will recover, and it will truly happen. And don't judge yourself too harshly. Some things are meant to be, and you had to fall so that later you may rise and become what you are truly meant to be.” 55 likes

- John Gregory (Clash of the Demons)”
36 likes