Start by marking “The Gladiator (Eagle, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Gladiator (Eagle, #9)

The Gladiator (Eagle #9)

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,295 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
The action-packed new novel featuring Roman army officers Macro and Cato from Sunday Times bestselling author Simon Scarrow While centurions Macro and Cato are returning to Rome from a harrowing campaign against the Parthians, their transport ship is almost capsized by a tidal wave.

They barely make it to the port of Matala in Crete where they are stunned to find a devasta
Published August 6th 2009 by Headline (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Gladiator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gladiator

Steve
Aug 10, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it
The Gladiator... Macro and Cato are still quite a double act (Cato being the straight guy, with Macro not usually intending to be funny *laughing just thinking about it*). I won't ruin the plot so far, but they're each strong enough character's to carry a chapter on their own. They are Optio/Centurion's/Prefect's/Tribune *smiling*, depending on what fate has carved for them. Here they are stranded in a different scenario and up against the odds once again. This time against a former slave, a for ...more
William Ballard
Apr 16, 2015 William Ballard rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up at The Works on a sale, not realising that there are 8 books before it, and there are more after too. I have around 13 more books to read to catch up on the series, and if they're are all like this one, they shall be a pleasure to read. Simon Scarrow's gripping plot in this is very easy to read. That is, it pulls you right into the action from the first few pages. Also, as someone who hasn't read the other books, I found it easy to follow what was happening. It is a fantast ...more
Paul
Sep 12, 2014 Paul rated it liked it
Yet another Scarrow book where he insists on crowbarring a siege into the novel, where the plucky heroes are terribly outnumbered by their dastardly ragtag rebel enemy.
Fortunately for Scarrow, that portion of the story only takes up just under a third of the book, so there's plenty of other action to distract from that annoying niggle, including some sloppy garrison troops, a kidnapping and a clever climactic battle victory.

For those unfamiliar with the series so far, this book sees the return
Redfox5
Scarrow has really stepped up his game this one. Started it yesterday and finished today. The best Eagle book so far :) At the end of the last book Cato and Macro were headed back to Rome to be reassigned and for Cato and Julia to get married....awww.

Things don't go to plan as an Earthquake and tidle wave hits Crete just as their ship is floating past it. With many of the people in charge killed and a full on slave revolt, it's up to Macro and Cato to save the day again.

I've said it before and
D.w.
Nov 29, 2011 D.w. rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
After success in the last book, and as this is a series, we do expect success by the end of the novel, it is time to make our way home to Rome and for the heroes to get their rewards. Macro and Cato have been stepping up and giving great needed service to Rome, and Claudius and they deserve accolades.

Instead an earthquake and tidal wave beset them as they are near Crete. It throws the Island into turmoil, seriously hammering the infrastructure and forcing our two Centurions to step up once more.
David Campton
Aug 08, 2012 David Campton rated it liked it
Wherever Centurions Macro and Cato go their paths are dogged by disaster. This time their doomladen shadow falls on the island of Crete, and while the story was inspired by a holiday that Simon Scarrow took on the island, this episode in the ongoing series is no holiday for those involved, as they get caught up in an earthquake, tsunami and a Spartacus-like slave rebellion. Scarrow touches briefly on the necessity and cruelty of the slavery system in the Roman Empire, but sadly doesn't capitaliz ...more
Dawn
It would have been much better to read this prior to The Legion. Both because I had no idea what was going on in the later book when I read it and this time because I knew what the outcome would be already.

I find that I prefer the books in this series that have a little more of the political in them, rather than the all battle (or lead up to a battle) sequences such as this one. So, not the best in the series in my opinion but still with great characters and lots of good history.

Jack Alriksson
Jul 30, 2015 Jack Alriksson rated it did not like it
This book convinced me to give up on the series. I've read all previous novels and I've got used to the thin plots, poorly-written villains and predictable plot twists. I didn't mind them much, I was reading them mostly for the battles.
However, Gladiator was dull. Rather ridiculous plot, characters acting, well, out of character, decisions that defy even the most primitive logic and descriptions that gave Crete (where the action is supposed to take place) the charming air of "generic Greek isla
Sebastian Janek
Mar 25, 2015 Sebastian Janek rated it really liked it
Shelves: rome
Po zdławieniu rebelii i zabezpieczeniu interesów Rzymu na wschodzie, Macro i Katon wracają do Italii, jednak po drodze stają się świadkami niespotykanego kataklizmu, który niemal niszczy ich statek i zmusza do postawienia stopy na Krecie, której ludność została zdziesiątkowana przez trzęsienie ziemi. Niewolnicy wyrwali się spod jarzma panów i pod wodzą niezwykle utalentowanego gladiatora wszczynają rebelię.

Scarrow po raz kolejny podjął palący temat z okresu Imperium - niewolnictwo. Tym razem po
Samuel Tyler
May 26, 2015 Samuel Tyler rated it really liked it
As a fan of historic fiction I am well used to the common structure of opening big, having a story in the middle and then ending on another high. However, even I was surprised how big Simon Scarrow’s ‘The Centurion’ opened. Marco and Cato return once more, the events of this novel follow swiftly on from those of ‘The Eagle in the Sand’ as the duo head back to Rome by sea, only to be met by a massive wave caused by an Earthquake on Crete. The wave leads to a ship wreak and a confrontation with a ...more
Nick Brett
May 27, 2014 Nick Brett rated it really liked it
On their way back to Rome, Macro and Cato are ship-wreaked on Crete. The cause of their problems is an earthquake which also triggers a slave rebellion on the island. Even with the author notes I couldn’t work out how much of this was an exaggeration of fact but it made for an interesting scenario.

This plays from a Roman perspective and the slaves (with a slight nod as to their plight) are the bad guys here. Crete is played as badly damaged and with slaves in control of significant areas and sta
Olethros
Dec 22, 2015 Olethros rated it liked it
-Por fin un antagonista que… no, tampoco.-

Género. Novela histórica (en un sentido muy amplio de la palabra).

Lo que nos cuenta. Cuando Macro y Cato, junto a la futura familia política de éste, tratan de volver a Roma, el tsunami generado por un terremoto les hace naufragar en Creta. Pero hay otro problema: esclavos rebeldes en gran número que tienen su propia visión de cómo hay que actuar contra el dominio de la Antigua Roma en la isla. Además, están liderados por alguien relacionado con el pasad
Fred
Dec 26, 2015 Fred rated it liked it
Typical of the series. This is book nine and it's worth reading as a space filler between other subjects at this point and more or less just to see what happens next. Scarrow follows a pretty predicable formula when it comes to his novels in this series and if you liked the way that the first one or two played out then you know what to expect.

Cato and Macro are en route from Judea back to Rome via the Mediterranean with Cato's future bride and father in-law when an earthquake causes a tidal wav
Patrizia
Nov 27, 2014 Patrizia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
Erdbeben = Chaos = Aufstand der Sklaven geführt von einem Gladiator der nur eines will => RACHE
Kirin171
May 08, 2015 Kirin171 rated it it was ok
Dhe
Jan 02, 2012 Dhe rated it really liked it
mi ero segnata questo libro proprio dopo aver letto un'opinione su questo sito, come succede spesso quando leggo recenioni interessanti su libri che mi sono sfuggiti... questa volta ho avuto anche l'opportunità oltre che di legger eun bel romanzo di fare conoscenza con uno scrittore di cui ignoravo l'esistenza e che invece merita la mia attenzione.

simon scarrow è uno scrittore inglese, esperto di storia romana. sebbene io abbia una predilezione per i romanzi storici sono anche piuttosto selettiv
Paul
Oct 08, 2012 Paul rated it it was amazing
Nathan Trachta
Aug 23, 2011 Nathan Trachta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having finished Centurion I was eager to continue reading about Macro and Cato, especially since the Warlord miniatures i'd picked up of had an introduction to Gladiator and I was intrigued by this little snippet. I mean the description was so enticing, how couldn't I jump in and read this at the soonest.

For this one Macro and Cato are on Crete following and earthquake and the subsequent tsunami. Forced to land due to damage to the ship, Macro, Cato, and Senator Sempronius (and his daughter) dis
John Salter
Oct 11, 2013 John Salter rated it really liked it
Finding themselves shipwrecked on the island of Crete after an earthquake, our intrepid hero's find themselves struggling for survival and fighting against a slave army led by the Gladiator Ajax.

Simon Scarrow's Under the Eagle series has become a 'must buy' for me and with this story he continues with another invaluable tale. The devastation wrought by the earthquake and the conequencies it brings are easy to imagine as you read.

Cato has the complication of Julia to worry about as he and Macro a
Michael
Pretty cool! I love the library. This is part of a many book ancient Rome series. I accidentally jumped in at #9, but that is ok. This stood alone. An earthquake and tsunami destroy much of coastal Crete and spark a slave rebellion. It is amazing that the Romans did not have a lot more slave revolts. They certainly deserved it. Set in the first century AD. As usual, I see disturbing parallels between this time and place and our own. I don't know how anybody could miss it.
Stuart
Jan 29, 2015 Stuart rated it liked it
Exciting start with a ferocious, well-organised slave rebellion following a natural disaster.. The Gladiator was a fearsome leader facing our heroes, Macro and Cato. Not sure if the slaves would be more effective than Boudicca's Iceni warriors against Roman troops but still overwhelming numbers.Then suddenly I felt the tension all drained away at the gates of Gortyna.
William Bates
Apr 06, 2014 William Bates rated it it was amazing
Another Solid instalment macro and cato, If you get this far you know what to expect from the best-selling Roman double act. After a tidal wave wrecks their ship they find themselves helping out after an earthquake in the province of Crete. But a slave rebellion led by Ajax (who we all know) is under way and all is not as it seems for the centurion/prefect/tribune
Colin
Feb 08, 2013 Colin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
As with all of the books in this series, they can be read as a stand alone, mixed order, or in chronological order (last is always the best).

This book literally follows where the last one (Centurion) left off. I won't spoil any of the story here but we find Cato and Macro thrown into serious trouble once again and as always the situation goes from bad to worse but they eventually pull through despite all the odds stacked against them.

I really enjoyed The Gladiator, it's up there with the rest of
Ian
Sep 23, 2012 Ian rated it really liked it
Henrik Emilsson
Sep 11, 2015 Henrik Emilsson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nu är jag lite snäll, men det är en underhållande bok. Till en början är den för lik den förra boken i serien, där romarna har problem med lokalbefolkningen och är belägrade av en övertalig fiende. Men Rom är alltid Rom, och en bra berättelse ska inte underskattas även om det är lättviktig underhållning.
Alessandro Pellizzari
Jan 24, 2016 Alessandro Pellizzari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romanzi, fantasy, e
Fortunatamente cambia un po' la struttura della storia rispetto ai libri precedenti, e torna ad essere meno prevedibile.

Anche il ritmo della narrazione migliora, con meno "punti morti" e più azione.

La caratterizzazione dei protagonisti continua a migliorare.

Unico difetto: alcune scene e avvenimenti sono un po' tirate per i capelli e hanno un gusto vagamente artificioso.
Zia
Feb 15, 2016 Zia rated it really liked it
Great book. The adventure was real, and the characters were easy to connect with.
I recommend as an easy read. Young boys especially would love it. But saying that my whole family did!
Rebecca
Incepand cu primele pagini autorul incearca sa ni reaminteasca pe Macro si Cato- cei doi centurioni neinfricati. Am decis sa citesc "Gladiatorul" deoarece volumul anterior numit "Centurionul" m-a captivat destul de mult.
Actiunea te tine cu sufletul la gura, cuprinzand totodata si parti emotionale, crude si pline de alerta. Admiram foarte mult caracterul lui Macro, autorul avand un simt al umorului bine dezvoltat in carcaterul personajului.
Finalul acestui volum este tipic, iar soarta ii provoa
Ernest Spoon
Mar 20, 2014 Ernest Spoon rated it liked it
First book by this author, Simon Scarrow, I've read. Action packed, mostly with blood, guts and sword-play, with just a touch of NC-17 sex to keep it interesting.
Luka Novak
After finishing their business in syria our two heroes and their new, shall we say friends, are sailing back to Rome. Except of course they don't make it because off the coast of Crete they suffer through earthquake and tsunami. Making it to the island itself they are met with erthquake aftermath and collapse of order. Then troubles start.

Combined with collapse of any sort of hiearachy Cato and Macro have to improvise (with help from their new friends). The book also conmtinues to have Cato prog
  • Fortress of Spears (Empire, #3)
  • Lion Of The Sun (Warrior of Rome, #3)
  • Defender of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens, #2)
  • The Road to Rome (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #3)
  • Rome's Executioner (Vespasian, #2)
  • The Belgae (Marius' Mules, #2)
  • Legionary (Legionary, #1)
Simon Scarrow is a UK-based author, born in Nigeria, and now living in Norfolk. He completed a master's degree at the University of East Anglia, and, after working at the Inland Revenue, went into teaching as a lecturer at City College, Norwich.

He is best known for his "Eagle" series. This is Roman empire military fiction, starting with the second invasion of Britain, and continuing with subsequen
More about Simon Scarrow...

Eagle (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Under the Eagle (Eagle, #1)
  • The Eagle's Conquest (Eagle, #2)
  • When the Eagle Hunts (Eagle, #3)
  • The Eagle and the Wolves (Eagle, #4)
  • The Eagle's Prey (Eagle, #5)
  • The Eagle's Prophecy (Eagle, #6)
  • The Eagle in the Sand (Eagle, #7)
  • Centurion (Eagle, #8)
  • The Legion (Eagle, #10)
  • Praetorian (Eagle, #11)

“rule of war – always try and get the enemy” 0 likes