Start by marking “Prairie School” as Want to Read:
Prairie School

Prairie School

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Reading the prairieIt's the 1880s, Noah works hard on the family farm and roams free on the Colorado prairie. One day his Aunt Dora arrives to give him some schooling. Noah doesn't think he needs it. What use is reading on the prairie? But what Noah discovers will change his life forever.
Published July 1st 2003 by HarperCollins (first published April 10th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Prairie School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prairie School

Linda Branich
This is An I Can Read Advanced Reader Level 4 book that lives up to its claim.

In the early 1880's, 9-year-old Noah's family moved from their overworked farm in Maine to the plains of Colorado, where they built a soddy and started over. Noah fell in love with his prairie and rebelled when his wheelchair-bound aunt came to teach him. Aunt Dora must become quite resourceful in order to teach her nephew. Will she succeed?

This is an excellent book for reluctant learners, filled with beautiful illust
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Crystal Lough
Prairie School was a historical ficiton book. This book is targeted for primary aged children. The book is about a boy named Noah and his family who moved to Colorado from Maine to live on a prairie. Noah helped his dad with all of the chores on the land. He truly enjoyed living out there and did not mind the work. He was happy until the day his mother and father explained that his aunt was coming to live with them to school him. She arrived and Noah nearly refused to follow her directions. He a ...more
Trace
Luke's review: This book was about a 9 year old who learns to become a good reader and writer. His Aunt Dora teaches him in the prairie and he becomes a better reader and writer than his parents. I love that he is a boy that loves books, just like me and my momma!

Momma's note: I loved this book as much as Luke did! He was excited to see a picture of a McGuffey reader - the same books that we're reading! I find that often early chapter books are very light on content and substance (aka fluff!) bu
Shawn
This is a simple, straight-forward book about what life may have been like on the prairie in the late 1800s. I used this book to introduce students to historical fiction, clothing styles, speech, culture, geography, and to increase their vocabulary. This book is about a young boy living in the 1880's Colorado prairie and having to learn to read, which he is not happy about. My students had many questions about why his parents could not read or write and why it was such a bit deal "back then" to ...more
Elanor Jane
All by herself!
Betsy
I like the idea of this book a lot. I think it may be hard to get some kids "into" it... it's a little slow. That being said, there aren't many historical fiction easy readers, and this is a great introduction to life on the prairie in the 1880s. And, it pushes reading! The second half of the book is much better than the first.
I liked this book. I think it gave the reader a good taste of what it was like in the 1880's. It is also a book that promotes educationa and reading. It helps children realize that reading used to not be something that everyone learned.
Ashley
"Dear Aunt Dora, I live on the prairie, but I can read the whole world. Your loving nephew, Noah."

How come children books have so much truth to them?!

I love this book :o)
Kimberly
This is a beautifully told story with a great historical background. Easy to read and geared for young readers, but I must admit that I enjoyed it as much as my kids did.
Shannon
Pretty darned robust for an early chapter book. Definitely would work well paired with THAT BOOK WOMAN.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
A boy is finally persuaded to allow his crippled aunt to teach him to read.
Nora
MCL. This was one of my favorites. I liked the whole thing.
Junessa
Easy to read with wonderful pictures.
Sammi
This is a book for 7 year old
Alexis
Jun 01, 2011 Alexis added it
Shelves: ar
AR test completed.
Stephanie Tyler
Stephanie Tyler marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Tachinnah Chanan Tyler
Tachinnah Chanan Tyler marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
  • Clara and the Bookwagon
  • Riding the Pony Express
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • Tornado
  • Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)
  • Dolphin Treasure
  • Usborne Time Traveler
  • Favorite Poems of Childhood
  • Leading Little Ones to God: A Child's Book of Bible Teachings
  • Castle Diary: The Journal of Tobias Burgess
Avi is a pen name for Edward Irving Wortis, but he says, "The fact is, Avi is the only name I use."
Born in 1937, Avi has created many fictional favorites such as The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, Nothing but the Truth, and The Crispin series. His work is very much desired by readers young and old.
More about Avi...
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle Crispin: The Cross of Lead (Crispin #1) Nothing But the Truth Poppy (Tales of Dimwood Forest, #1) The Seer of Shadows