Start by marking “A Few Quick Ones” as Want to Read:
A Few Quick Ones

A Few Quick Ones (Jeeves #11.5)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  253 ratings  ·  28 reviews
P. G. Wodehouse is recognized as the greatest English comic writer of the twentieth century. His characters and settings have entered our language and our mythology. Launched on the twenty-fifth anniversary of his death, the Overlook Wodehouse will eventually contain all the novels and stories, edited and reset. Each Overlook volume will be the finest edition of the master ...more
Published August 6th 2009 by Overlook Hardcover (first published April 13th 1959)

To ask other readers questions about A Few Quick Ones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Few Quick Ones

Jim
Wodehouse always makes me laugh. This collection of short stories is mostly centered around the Drones Club and features a good mix of Wodehouse's best characters, ranging from Oofy Prosser, Freddie Widgeon, a pair of Mulliners, Jas Waterbury, and Bingo Little to a guest appearance by Bertie Wooster and Jeeves. There are the usual romantic and pecuniary embarrassments which are miraculously cleared up deus ex machina style by the author in a manic (though frequently unlikely) burst.

But it doesn
Josh
Much as I love so many of his novels, Wodehouse was probably at his best when he was penning short stories-- and as such, it's hard for me to imagine a better introduction to his work than this ten-story collection. It does an excellent job of demonstrating the scope of the world Wodehouse created, with the majority of his beloved characters showing up throughout these 200-ish pages. Indeed, while Jeeves & Wooster remain his best and most delightful characters, it is refreshing to find a Wod ...more
Gerry
Rib-tickling humour from Plum as Jeeves and Wooster, the Oldest Member, Mr Mulliner, Oofy Prosser, the ubiquitous Aunt Dahlia and others all create the usual mix of Wodehouse fun.

Wooster, as only he could, bungles the theft of a masterpiece and Jeeves has to dig him out, Oofy sees the opportunity for some easy money by investing in a wrestling match with disastrous results, Ukridge's attempt to give to charity is fraught with danger and there is the typical mix of confusing engagements and roman
CJ Bowen
Great mix of stories from all the different worlds of Wodehouse. Jeeves and Wooster are untouchable, but the Mulliner stories have a special place in my heart. The constant battle spread over several stories between Freddie Wigeon and Oofy Prosser is prodigiously silly, but in Wodehouse's moral universe, greed never wins. Plots are recycled, surely, but the execution simply overrides that fact.

Delightful.
Bebe
Book on CD. Wodehouse certainly has a way with words, his amusing tales about the members of the Drones Club delights to no end, the man has humour and imagination, but.....what makes it extraordinary is the man reading it, his voice, intonations makes this one of my alltime favourites. Gotta find more Wodehouse read by this man.
aPriL eVoLvEs
These short stories are fun and relaxing. However, they won't be everyone's cup of tea. They are very suitable for very specific tastes - light comedies around a class of English gentlemen who were raised by rich relatives but they do not have a pound of their own money or work at jobs, but spend most of their time drinking, gambling, and thinking up schemes to get money from each other and their rich relatives. They live in an England after WWII so the prejudices of their class are obvious in t ...more
Ian Wood
‘A Few Quick Ones’ is, like ‘Nothing Serious’ before it, a mixed bag of Wodehouse short stories of his, and our, favourite stock characters. Unlike earlier collections the stories are mixed rather than be so many Drones followed by so many Oldest member etc., this actually makes for a better collection as four golf stories on the bounce do have a tendency to drag on like a Wagner opera.

Freddie Widgeon of the Drones, opens the collection with ‘The Fat of the Land’ which gives him a deserved victo
Libbeth
I will use this "review" for all the P. G. Wodehouse I have read. I read them all so long ago and enjoyed them so much that I have given them all 5 stars. As I re-read them I will adjust the stars accordingly, if necessary, and add a proper review.
When I first discovered P. G. Wodehouse I devoured every book I could find in the local library, throughout the eighties and early nineties. Alas, this means that I have read most of them and stumbling across one I have not read is a rare thing. I'm su
Greg Brozeit
Wodehouse is not for everyone. But those who love him usually become addicted. You end up reading books just to find a few comic gems and it is usually worth the wait. Wodehouse creates his own world of well-to-do, superficial characters that somehow endear themselves to the reader.

This collection provides a great overview of Wodehouse staple characters, Jeeves and Wooster, the Oldest Member, Mulliner, Ukridge, and two funny pieces in which Oofy Prosser tries to outwit Freddie Widgeon. About the
Jonathan
A wonderful romp through some of the old Wodehouse stomping grounds. Wodehouse's books are usually full-length novels or collectiosn of stories that all involve the same set of characters (cf. the Jeeves and Wooster books, The Heart of a Goof [golf stories told by the Oldest Member], Mulliner Nights [tales of unflappable relatives told by Mr. Mulliner]). This book is unique: contains stories from several of Wodehouse's favorite microcosms. It would serve as an excellent introduction to Wodehouse ...more
Neil
Very good but not quite top flight collection of Wodehouse short stories from 1959.
Ten pieces in all: Four drones club stories (of which two are with Bingo Little and two with Freddie Widgeon) Two Oldest Member golf stories, Two Mr. Mulliners, A single Ukridge and a single Jeeves and Wooster.
The Jeeves story "Jeeves makes an omelette" is actually a slightly rewritten version of Wodehouse's 1913 story "Doing Clarence a bit of good."
Best of the lot is probably "Oofy, Freddie and the Beef Trust" in
Kent
A collection of short stories. Typical Wodehouse: Hilarious characters, memorable plots, witty dialogue, and unexpected endings.
Janna
I was surprised and delighted by Wodeshouse's style. The short story genre needs more gems like these -- witty with surprise endings! While I couldn't relate to the "gentleman's club" setting, the stories themselves were full of delightful stock characters - most with glaring flaws that made you laugh harder. Not quite stand-up comedy, but definitely a smile out loud sort of book. Liked it!
Douglas Wilson
Well, the Goodreads folks have the wrong ISBN number connected to this one. I read the Overlook edition to this one, but the number they have in it goes to The Man With Two Left Feet. And so I link to this one. What can you do?

These stories are all fun, with the exception of the Ukridge one. I have never been fond of those.
Matt
Another charming Wodehouse book (marred by a couple of quick moments of wince-inducing racism).
Not my favorite, but a good medley with appearances from several favorite Wodehouse characters. Also: maybe Bingo Little should seriously think about addressing that gambling problem he has?
Inian
My first of PGW's work, i really loved it.. the funny one liners and timely brilliant ideas by Jeeves is comedy at its best!! Have some more PGW's classics.. I sure hope am gonna love'em all!!
Kevin
Been meaning to read Podehouse, especially because Hitch is such a fan. Finally found this collection of short stories at used bookstore. T'was funny. Will read some more soon.
Ryan Adair
A collection of short stories mainly about the Drones Club and its resulting characters. Enjoyed these a lot, though nothing can compare to Wooster and Jeeves.
J B Mills
These start to get a little formulaic, but they are still classics. I love the ones starring Bingo and his wife who never finds out about his gambling.
Scott
Classic Wodehouse. Almost, at times, a little too much of it, though. Too much of a good thing is still too much once in a while.
Ian
Entertaining collection of short stories. Mix of Mulliner, Oldest Member, Freddie Widgeon and Bingo Little yarns.
Megan
I just really like the British TV show. Is that so bad? I found these short stories fun and entertaining.
Edward Newman
Very fine collection of late Wodehouse short stories-Jeeves, Ukeridge, Mulliner and Bingo Little all in fine form.
Jishnu Bhattacharya
It's good, but not as good as Wodehouse usually is. Similar plots at times.
W H
Funny Punny and a quick respite of humor
Not his finest, but competent and entertaining.
  • Wodehouse: A Life
  • The Key (Miss Silver, #8)
  • The Bride of Anguished English: A Bonanza of Bloopers, Blunders, Botches, and Boo-Boos
  • Mission to the Unknown (Doctor Who: The Daleks' Master Plan, Part 1)
  • The Attack on the Mill and Other Stories
  • The Taming of the Screw
  • A London Child of the 1870s
  • The Robot Novels: The Caves of Steel / The Naked Sun (Robot, #1-2)
  • Tickled Pink: A Comic Novel
  • Jeeves and the Wedding Bells (Jeeves, #16)
  • Nonsense Novels
  • Just Patty
  • The Saint Meets the Tiger
  • My Fantoms
  • Mike Nelson's Death Rat!: A Novel
  • Whistling For The Elephants
  • Fade To Blonde (Hard Case Crime, #2)
  • The Brand New Monty Python Papperbok
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 30 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...
My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1) Carry on, Jeeves (Jeeves, #3) The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7) Right Ho, Jeeves (Jeeves, #6) The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)