Start by marking “A Few Quick Ones” as Want to Read:
A Few Quick Ones

A Few Quick Ones (Jeeves #11.5)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  357 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
P. G. Wodehouse is recognized as the greatest English comic writer of the twentieth century. His characters and settings have entered our language and our mythology. Launched on the twenty-fifth anniversary of his death, the Overlook Wodehouse will eventually contain all the novels and stories, edited and reset. Each Overlook volume will be the finest edition of the master ...more
Published August 6th 2009 by The Overlook Press (first published April 13th 1959)

To ask other readers questions about A Few Quick Ones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Few Quick Ones

Jim
Dec 11, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, humor
Wodehouse always makes me laugh. This collection of short stories is mostly centered around the Drones Club and features a good mix of Wodehouse's best characters, ranging from Oofy Prosser, Freddie Widgeon, a pair of Mulliners, Jas Waterbury, and Bingo Little to a guest appearance by Bertie Wooster and Jeeves. There are the usual romantic and pecuniary embarrassments which are miraculously cleared up deus ex machina style by the author in a manic (though frequently unlikely) burst.

But it doesn
Josh
Aug 29, 2013 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much as I love so many of his novels, Wodehouse was probably at his best when he was penning short stories-- and as such, it's hard for me to imagine a better introduction to his work than this ten-story collection. It does an excellent job of demonstrating the scope of the world Wodehouse created, with the majority of his beloved characters showing up throughout these 200-ish pages. Indeed, while Jeeves & Wooster remain his best and most delightful characters, it is refreshing to find a Wod ...more
Gerry
Nov 19, 2013 Gerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rib-tickling humour from Plum as Jeeves and Wooster, the Oldest Member, Mr Mulliner, Oofy Prosser, the ubiquitous Aunt Dahlia and others all create the usual mix of Wodehouse fun.

Wooster, as only he could, bungles the theft of a masterpiece and Jeeves has to dig him out, Oofy sees the opportunity for some easy money by investing in a wrestling match with disastrous results, Ukridge's attempt to give to charity is fraught with danger and there is the typical mix of confusing engagements and roman
Shikha
Jan 31, 2016 Shikha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the name suggests, and the author delivers, a few quick and powerful ones are delivered full-force, wrapped in the all-famous Wodehouse humor. The book consists of 10 short stories, and was first published in 1959, so after the establishment and success of his Blandings Castle and Jeeves brands.

For the avid Wodehouse readers, the stories do have some plots recycled in a very intelligent way. In Jeeves Makes An Omelette, the coveted painting Venus by Clarence makes yet another big bang, after
CJ Bowen
Apr 20, 2013 CJ Bowen rated it really liked it
Great mix of stories from all the different worlds of Wodehouse. Jeeves and Wooster are untouchable, but the Mulliner stories have a special place in my heart. The constant battle spread over several stories between Freddie Wigeon and Oofy Prosser is prodigiously silly, but in Wodehouse's moral universe, greed never wins. Plots are recycled, surely, but the execution simply overrides that fact.

Delightful.
Bebe
Aug 21, 2009 Bebe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book on CD. Wodehouse certainly has a way with words, his amusing tales about the members of the Drones Club delights to no end, the man has humour and imagination, but.....what makes it extraordinary is the man reading it, his voice, intonations makes this one of my alltime favourites. Gotta find more Wodehouse read by this man.
aPriL does feral sometimes
These short stories are fun and relaxing. However, they won't be everyone's cup of tea. They are very suitable for very specific tastes - light comedies around a class of English gentlemen who were raised by rich relatives but they do not have a pound of their own money or work at jobs, but spend most of their time drinking, gambling, and thinking up schemes to get money from each other and their rich relatives. They live in an England after WWII so the prejudices of their class are obvious in t ...more
Ian Wood
May 18, 2008 Ian Wood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: p-g-wodehouse
‘A Few Quick Ones’ is, like ‘Nothing Serious’ before it, a mixed bag of Wodehouse short stories of his, and our, favourite stock characters. Unlike earlier collections the stories are mixed rather than be so many Drones followed by so many Oldest member etc., this actually makes for a better collection as four golf stories on the bounce do have a tendency to drag on like a Wagner opera.

Freddie Widgeon of the Drones, opens the collection with ‘The Fat of the Land’ which gives him a deserved victo
Tiana Hadnt
Jun 13, 2016 Tiana Hadnt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anything Wodehouse writes is pure gold, but his short stories are perfection. The endless tales of Bingo Little, Oofy Prosser, Freddie Widgeon, The Oldest Member and any of Mr. Mulliner's takes....they never grow old, they never change, and you never stop laughing. Jeeves Makes an Omelette is an extra gem, and is among my favorite of the Jeeves/Wooster stories. I would highly recommend this to anyone at any age, and at any time of life.
Brett
Jan 16, 2016 Brett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant. I particularly enjoyed the first story, "Fat of the Land" about the fat uncle sweepstakes. I suggest listening to the audiobook as read by Jonathan Cecil who adds tremendously to the stories with a rich British accent that adds even more depth to Wodehouse's already excellent characters.
Libbeth
Oct 21, 2008 Libbeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1982-to-1989, humour
I will use this "review" for all the P. G. Wodehouse I have read. I read them all so long ago and enjoyed them so much that I have given them all 5 stars. As I re-read them I will adjust the stars accordingly, if necessary, and add a proper review.
When I first discovered P. G. Wodehouse I devoured every book I could find in the local library, throughout the eighties and early nineties. Alas, this means that I have read most of them and stumbling across one I have not read is a rare thing. I'm su
Greg Brozeit
Dec 18, 2013 Greg Brozeit rated it really liked it
Wodehouse is not for everyone. But those who love him usually become addicted. You end up reading books just to find a few comic gems and it is usually worth the wait. Wodehouse creates his own world of well-to-do, superficial characters that somehow endear themselves to the reader.

This collection provides a great overview of Wodehouse staple characters, Jeeves and Wooster, the Oldest Member, Mulliner, Ukridge, and two funny pieces in which Oofy Prosser tries to outwit Freddie Widgeon. About the
Phillip
Nov 25, 2015 Phillip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the better Wodehouse short story collections. It includes a Jeeves and Wooster story. There is quite a bit of recycling from other collection, as is to be expected from Wodehouse.
Graham Polando
Aug 14, 2015 Graham Polando rated it it was amazing
My first foray into the non-Jeeves stories in a while, and forgotten how good Wodehouse is even without those characters. The first story here, the Fat of the Land, might be my new all-time favorite Wodehouse short story. Highly recommended.
Jonathan
Oct 15, 2011 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
A wonderful romp through some of the old Wodehouse stomping grounds. Wodehouse's books are usually full-length novels or collectiosn of stories that all involve the same set of characters (cf. the Jeeves and Wooster books, The Heart of a Goof [golf stories told by the Oldest Member], Mulliner Nights [tales of unflappable relatives told by Mr. Mulliner]). This book is unique: contains stories from several of Wodehouse's favorite microcosms. It would serve as an excellent introduction to Wodehouse ...more
Neil
Nov 18, 2010 Neil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good but not quite top flight collection of Wodehouse short stories from 1959.
Ten pieces in all: Four drones club stories (of which two are with Bingo Little and two with Freddie Widgeon) Two Oldest Member golf stories, Two Mr. Mulliners, A single Ukridge and a single Jeeves and Wooster.
The Jeeves story "Jeeves makes an omelette" is actually a slightly rewritten version of Wodehouse's 1913 story "Doing Clarence a bit of good."
Best of the lot is probably "Oofy, Freddie and the Beef Trust" in
Madge
Feb 13, 2016 Madge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this collection of stories!
Hazel
Jul 18, 2014 Hazel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So funny!
Janna
Sep 22, 2013 Janna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I was surprised and delighted by Wodeshouse's style. The short story genre needs more gems like these -- witty with surprise endings! While I couldn't relate to the "gentleman's club" setting, the stories themselves were full of delightful stock characters - most with glaring flaws that made you laugh harder. Not quite stand-up comedy, but definitely a smile out loud sort of book. Liked it!
Rob
Dec 20, 2014 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Proving that there is life beyond Bertie and Jeeves, the reader gets to meet many characters from the univers of Wodehouse. OOfy Prosser is like an evil Bertram who often gets what he deserves. Then's there's Algy, Bingo and Rosie's child. Enjoy "A few Quick Ones". My Favorite is "Oofy and Freddy and THe Beef trust".
David Macdonald
Aug 28, 2015 David Macdonald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing like a book of Wodehouse stories to cleanse the palate between books.
Douglas Wilson
Oct 19, 2011 Douglas Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wodehouse, fiction
Well, the Goodreads folks have the wrong ISBN number connected to this one. I read the Overlook edition to this one, but the number they have in it goes to The Man With Two Left Feet. And so I link to this one. What can you do?

These stories are all fun, with the exception of the Ukridge one. I have never been fond of those.
Matt
Sep 01, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Another charming Wodehouse book (marred by a couple of quick moments of wince-inducing racism).
Not my favorite, but a good medley with appearances from several favorite Wodehouse characters. Also: maybe Bingo Little should seriously think about addressing that gambling problem he has?
Inian
Jan 30, 2011 Inian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first of PGW's work, i really loved it.. the funny one liners and timely brilliant ideas by Jeeves is comedy at its best!! Have some more PGW's classics.. I sure hope am gonna love'em all!!
Kevin
Oct 20, 2011 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Been meaning to read Podehouse, especially because Hitch is such a fan. Finally found this collection of short stories at used bookstore. T'was funny. Will read some more soon.
Ryan
Jan 09, 2012 Ryan rated it really liked it
A collection of short stories mainly about the Drones Club and its resulting characters. Enjoyed these a lot, though nothing can compare to Wooster and Jeeves.
J B Mills
Aug 06, 2008 J B Mills rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These start to get a little formulaic, but they are still classics. I love the ones starring Bingo and his wife who never finds out about his gambling.
Kent
Aug 02, 2016 Kent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2014, audio
A collection of short stories. Typical Wodehouse: Hilarious characters, memorable plots, witty dialogue, and unexpected endings.
Scott
Mar 24, 2013 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-plain-funny
Classic Wodehouse. Almost, at times, a little too much of it, though. Too much of a good thing is still too much once in a while.
Ian
Dec 22, 2008 Ian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining collection of short stories. Mix of Mulliner, Oldest Member, Freddie Widgeon and Bingo Little yarns.
  • Wodehouse: A Life
  • The Unbearable Bassington
  • Oh! to be in England
  • Lucia Rising
  • P. G. Wodehouse: A Biography
  • Jeeves and the Wedding Bells (Jeeves, #16)
  • Miss Silver Deals With Death (Miss Silver, #6)
  • They and I
  • 40: A Doonesbury Retrospective
  • Pigeons from Hell
  • The Brothers Sinister: The Complete Boxed Set
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 17: 1983-1984
  • Take Joy
  • Doctor Who: Mission to the Unknown (The Daleks' Master Plan, Part 1)
  • The Attack on the Mill and Other Stories
  • Para Handy
  • The Taming of the Screw: How to Sidestep Several Million Homeowner's Problems
  • A Book of Migrations: Some Passages in Ireland
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...

Jeeves (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1)
  • The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)
  • Carry on, Jeeves (Jeeves, #3)
  • Very Good, Jeeves! (Jeeves, #4)
  • Right Ho, Jeeves (Jeeves, #6)
  • The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7)
  • Joy in the Morning (Jeeves, #8)
  • The Mating Season (Jeeves, #9)
  • Ring for Jeeves (Jeeves, #10)