Start by marking “A Layman's Guide to Protestant Theology:” as Want to Read:
A Layman's Guide to Protestant Theology:

A Layman's Guide to Protestant Theology:

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  47 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Published March 28th 2002 by Wipf & Stock Pub (first published February 1st 1968)

To ask other readers questions about A Layman's Guide to Protestant Theology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Layman's Guide to Protestant Theology

Cincylitigator
Apr 03, 2014 Cincylitigator rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Halfway through. Great sketch of history. Incredible implications for understanding the 20th century. If you were born in that century and want to understand where you came from this is a great tool. I can't wait to finish and pick up some Barth to read.

Well almost finished now. I found the book compelling and hard to put down. My theology is mostly fundamental but this is unsatisfying in many ways as it leaves some dissonance that started very early in my Christian walk when I noticed apparent
Nenad
Oct 06, 2015 Nenad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Excellent overview of Protestant theology; concise and to the point. Having said that, it is dated: the edition I read was published in 1968 and so one won't find here a treatment of current developments in theology. Still, the chapters on the great theologians of the 20th century - Barth, Tillich, Niebuhr - serve as a well written introduction to their thought.
Chris
Mar 29, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit dated, but a great brief history of protestant theology and a good introduction to the currents of the late 19th and early-to-mid 20th century of the same. I feel like I missed an opportunity by not reading this with other people because there would have been a lot of interesting things to talk about.
J. Ewbank
Mar 13, 2010 J. Ewbank rated it it was amazing
William Hordern has written an excellent book for the layman as the title shows, but it is also an excellent book for the minister as well.

Hordern is extremely readable. He is able to take complicated thoughts and put them in a way that it is very understandable. He also is able to take thoughts and opinions that differ from him and consider them fairly and yet able to present his concepts and ideas as well.

This book is a good read, even though it is getting old now, it has an abundance of good
Scott Pagel
May 17, 2010 Scott Pagel rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic intro to theology. The weakness is that it is quite dated. Actually, it doesn’t matter for most issues, it just means that any of the more recent developments are missing. But we’ve lived through those developments so it isn’t a huge problem. The Boehoeffer stuff was especially good.
Melanie
May 17, 2009 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Skylight Exchange Used Books
Dated and a little too casually chatty at points, but the sections on Kierkegaard, Barth, Niebuhr, and Tillich were particularly good for helping me orient myself in the developments of 20th century theology. I also liked the chapter on conservative/fundamentalist Christianity.
Thomas
Oct 10, 2014 Thomas rated it it was amazing
Great handbook/simple resource for studying the liberal and conservative divide in 20th century theology. A Good resource for 20th century theology students or ministers who have people who may or may not be influenced by these ideas.
Michael Brady
A concise and informative review of the topic into the late 1960s (and has anything else changed much since then?). Very accessible.
Rob the Obscure
very useful
Dale Masten
Dale Masten rated it liked it
May 03, 2016
Zohreh
Zohreh rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
David Dittmer
David Dittmer rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
Joe Best
Joe Best marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Random
Random added it
Jan 23, 2016
Peter Daniels
Peter Daniels marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Caroline Closson
Caroline Closson marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Patricia Carter
Patricia Carter marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2015
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Ahmad
Ahmad marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Nathan
Nathan rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Jack Freeman
Jack Freeman rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2015
Timothy Mosher
Timothy Mosher rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2015
Judith Quist
Judith Quist marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Trinity Library
Trinity Library marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Angus MacMhuirich
Angus MacMhuirich rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Kamran
Kamran marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Mark Rogerson
Mark Rogerson rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2015