Start by marking “Horses Make a Landscape Look More Beautiful: Poems” as Want to Read:
Horses Make a Landscape Look More Beautiful: Poems

Horses Make a Landscape Look More Beautiful: Poems

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  350 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Alice Walker has always turned to poetry to express some of her most personal and deeply felt concerns. She has said that her poems-even the happy ones-emerge from an accumulation of sadness, when she stands again “in the sunlight.” “[This collection] has two fine strengths-a music that comes along sometimes, as sad and cheery as a lonely woman’s whistling-and Miss Walker’
Published September 1st 1988 by New York: Harcourt, Brace, Jovanovich (first published April 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Horses Make a Landscape Look More Beautiful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horses Make a Landscape Look More Beautiful

Melki
Feb 25, 2015 Melki rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Some wonderful stuff here.

My three favorites?

The hopeful:

WE ALONE

We alone can devalue gold
by not caring
if it falls or rises
in the marketplace.
Wherever there is gold
there is a chain, you know,
and if your chain
is gold
so much the worse
for you.

Feathers, shells
and sea-shaped stones
are all as rare.

This could be our revolution:
to love what is plentiful
as much as

Tristan
Aug 15, 2015 Tristan rated it really liked it
Read in Her Blue Body Everything We Know: Earthling Poems 1965-1990 Complete

Actual rating: 3.75 stars

Yet again, Walker failed to live up to the musicality of her early poetry, but this collection had much more poetry and power than either Revolutionary Petunias or Goodnight Willie Lee, I'll See You in the Morning. Walker is definitely moving away from the "poetry as space-around-the-words" technique that she employed in her earlier work, and the final leap into a poetry of what is present is ref
Pepper
Apr 19, 2016 Pepper rated it it was amazing
Just brilliant....

ON SIGHT

I am so thankful I have seen
The Desert
And the creatures in the desert
And the desert Itself.

The desert has its own moon
Which I have seen
With my own eye.
There is no flag on it.

Trees of the desert have arms
All of which are always up
That is because the moon is up
The sun is up Also the sky
The Stars Clouds None with flags.

If there were flags,
I doubt the trees would point.
Would you?
Kelsey
Apr 06, 2010 Kelsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
phew. so beautiful and honest.

Walker

When I no longer have your heart
I will not request your body
your presence
or even your polite conversation.
I will go away to a far country
separated from you by the sea
--on which I cannot walk--
and refrain from even sending
letters
describing my pain.
Julia Tracey
Some lovely poems here. The first 2/3 of the collection inspired and delighted me. I found the last third not weaker, but less interesting in general. That may be my opinion vs a general commentary on Alice Walker, whose work I love. Perhaps they are from a different period in her life. I just didn't feel the lure of the last section. The up-front poems are riveting. Enjoyed this, and will keep it on my poetry shelf. Which is a good thing.
Mariana
Oct 26, 2014 Mariana rated it really liked it
Great book of poems especially those about her indigenous ancestors.
Mary
Feb 08, 2016 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
A collection of poems by Alice Walker. I love how her spirit and ethical sense comes through each poem. My favorite poem is "We Alone" which calls us to eschew a love of precious metals and gems which cause ruin to the earth and the people who mine for these rare materials: "This could be our revolution: / to love what is plentiful / as much as / what's scarce."
Laura Jane
This collection of poems were very touching and had deep meaning in them. Walker continuously brought up several topics in her poems, such as discrimination, slavery, native americans, war, peace, and love. Her poems reach to the good and bad in everything and can relate to almost any reader.
T. Browning
Dec 21, 2015 T. Browning rated it it was amazing
Beautiful. The awesome struggle of living, leading and loving in a society that constantly pushes you to the other. How do we honor anger and compassion in the same place, for the same people?
anna
Mar 11, 2015 anna rated it it was amazing
This was my first time reading any of Alice Walker's poetry, and I fell in love. they were all so beautiful.
Rachel
Oct 27, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I loved the sentiments and the sly humor that emerged in some of the poems, but I wasn’t as engaged by the language itself.
Terry
Apr 02, 2014 Terry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
A wonderful book of "cooking, writing, chopping wood."
Mia Dziendziel
Jun 18, 2014 Mia Dziendziel rated it it was amazing
Raw- Truth- Beautiful
Betty
Dec 22, 2014 Betty rated it it was amazing
Alice Walker is one of our finest poets.
Ronald Wise
Aug 12, 2011 Ronald Wise rated it liked it
Some pleasant, fanciful poetry, the most notable of which - the title poem - I had read in another collection. This book was added to my reading list, along with all her other works, after reading her novel Now Is the Time to Open Your Heart.
Dayna
May 16, 2011 Dayna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I enjoyed these poems. They were accessible and interesting. I thought many of the poems would deal with issues of racism, and they did so beautifully. It took me about an hour and a half to read through them all, and it was well worth it.
Amy
May 04, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
Shelves: md-book-club
This was a re-read for our Mother daughter book club. I love the imagery in her poetry. I can't wait to share this one with the girls.
Syd
Jun 30, 2007 Syd rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Basically, there wasn't anything in these poems that moved me...and isn't that the whole point of poetry?
Michelle Baraka
Sep 04, 2011 Michelle Baraka rated it really liked it
This was my introduction into the world of Alice Walker, I memorized many of the poems. Great!!
Moira McPartlin
Oct 07, 2013 Moira McPartlin rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry-challenge
Fabulous Alice Walker. Rebellious, touching, sad, angry, universal. I love everything she does.
Amy
May 04, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poems
I love Alice Walker, who destroys my nihilism. Very beautiful and intelligent. Hopeful and strong.
Caroline
Jul 24, 2014 Caroline rated it really liked it
She's a wonderful poet. So raw and radical. You should read this.
Alisa Wilhelm
Alisa Wilhelm is currently reading it
May 02, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Jodie Reed
Jodie Reed marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Agbillman
Agbillman marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Amy Christine Lesher
Amy Christine Lesher rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Maureen
Maureen rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2016
  • If a Tree Falls: A Family's Quest to Hear and Be Heard
  • Notes on Thought and Vision
  • The Moon Is Always Female: Poems
  • Conversations with Maya Angelou
Alice Walker, one of the United States’ preeminent writers, is an award-winning author of novels, stories, essays, and poetry. In 1983, Walker became the first African-American woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for fiction with her novel The Color Purple, which also won the National Book Award. Her other books include The Third Life of Grange Copeland, Meridian, The Temple of My Familiar, and Possessi ...more
More about Alice Walker...