Start by marking “The Third Life of Grange Copeland; Meridian; The Color Purple” as Want to Read:
The Third Life of Grange Copeland; Meridian; The Color Purple

The Third Life of Grange Copeland; Meridian; The Color Purple

Published August 1990 by Pocket Books (first published 1985)

Be the first to ask a question about The Third Life of Grange Copeland; Meridian; The Color Purple

Katelyn Bradbury
Oct 14, 2007 Katelyn Bradbury rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone able to deal with the cruelties of life.
Katleyn Bradbury
Mrs.Kuhn
English 111
14 October 2007

While reading The Color Purple by Alice Walker I found myself uncomfortable, yet compelled to discover more about Ceile and her dysfunctional family. I "asked" Ceile a few questions. Even though the book was written as Ceile's diary, at some times it was dificult to understand what she was discribing.
1. What was it like to be constantly looked down upon by the men in your life(Mr.____ and Alphonso)?
-The men made me feel badly about myself. I lea
d-pain
May 20, 2008 d-pain rated it liked it
The Color Purple is a good book. If you seen the movie, then you know what it is about. If you don't know then it is about a young girl Ceilie and her sister, Nettie. Celie is 14 years old, and she has already have two kids. They are by her stepdaddy. Ceilie's stepdaddy takes the kids off, so she never got to see them grow up. There real father died, so Fonso, the stepdaddy, marries the mother. Ceilie and Nettie mother loose her mind and goes crazy afther her husband dies cause of him being lyn ...more
Karen
The story of an african american woman and her daily life living with a husband she was forced to marry, looking to be loved and being apart from her only happiness; her sister nettie.
She endures pain and hardships as well as life-changing people. She builds a family through blood and friends and recording it as if she were writing to God or her distant that sister she misses terribly.

I thought it was a good book; its hard to relate to considering we live in a modern era in time, whereas this bo
Kriangkrai Vathanalaoha
Dramatic sequences of black literature. I found this book quite fascinating to describe its hidden depression over the edge. Nettie and Celie are quite tremendous characters in this one for the fact that they reflect the purest love of familial relationship in time no matter what. Men are cruel, aren't they?
Jeni
Mar 31, 2008 Jeni rated it it was amazing
I was prompted to read this book after seeing the musical...a strange order, I know. But, I loved the way it was written like a diary. A book filled with turmoil and emotion.
Maggie
Mar 28, 2008 Maggie rated it really liked it
Syd
Jul 01, 2007 Syd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This was my last shot at Walker's poetry. It's hard for me to conceive that I could like her prose so much and not her poetry...but there it is.
Morgan
Apr 04, 2008 Morgan rated it it was amazing
This was part of my radio book club. We could have spent two hours on this book. So many great themes to discuss and dynamic characters.
Wendy Reed
Nov 04, 2009 Wendy Reed rated it it was amazing
Everyone gets in a hard place but we must be strong enough to come out of that place.
Sarah kerr
May 17, 2007 Sarah kerr rated it it was amazing
Changed my life when I read it, way back when...
Shannon Magers
The Color Purple by Alice Walker (1985)
Heather Ingerson
The Color Purple
Lakesha Heath
good book
Cristina
Cristina rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Sarah Thomas
Sarah Thomas rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Emidio DaGraca
Emidio DaGraca marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Madison Helmick
Madison Helmick marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Austin
Austin marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Summer
Summer marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
leonard b broomfield
leonard b broomfield marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Brittany Walls
Brittany Walls marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
ariel
ariel marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
glezaran
glezaran marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Emma, Mansfield Park, Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Northanger Abbey & Persuasion
  • The Secret Apartment
  • The Catcher in the Rye/Franny and Zooey/Nine Stories/Raise High the Roof Beam
  • To Kill A Mockingbird, Harper Lee: Novel Guide
  • Part of Me: Stories of a Louisiana Family
  • Jonah's Gourd Vine / Mules and Men / Their Eyes Were Watching God
  • This Side of Innocence
  • Alice Walker: A Life
  • Slaughterhouse Five/ The Sirens Of Titan/ Player Piano/ Cat's Cradle/ Breakfast Of Champions/ Mother Night
  • Education of the Senses: The Bourgeois Experience: Victoria to Freud
  • The Pilot: A Tale of the Sea
  • Brules
  • Three Genres: The Writing of Poetry, Fiction, and Drama
  • One Way Forward: The Outsider's Guide to Fixing the Republic
Alice Walker, one of the United States’ preeminent writers, is an award-winning author of novels, stories, essays, and poetry. In 1983, Walker became the first African-American woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for fiction with her novel The Color Purple, which also won the National Book Award. Her other books include The Third Life of Grange Copeland, Meridian, The Temple of My Familiar, and Possessi ...more
More about Alice Walker...